OT: The Wild Board Jukebox Thread: Part Deux

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
Thank you for sharing this video. I can see the comparison to Spice, it's really close. I've never heard of these guys before.
Really like that first track of Spiritual Beggars. 2nd one is good as well, just like the first one a bit better. Going to have to check out more of their stuff. Those stoner/sludge rock bands are super hit or miss for me. Even some of those bands I won't like a lot of their stuff, but they'll have a small handful of songs that are amazing. Baroness is like that for me. Don't like most of their stuff, but the ones I dig are really awesome.

That Saffire band is even Swedish. They kind of remind me a bit of Deep Purple with Dio on vocals. I only found them about a year ago. Not sure how I missed them. I've listened to everything they've released and haven't disliked any of it.

Last edited:

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
Really like that first track of Spiritual Beggars. 2nd one is good as well, just like the first one a bit better. Going to have to check out more of their stuff. Those stoner/sludge rock bands are super hit or miss for me. Even some of those bands I won't like a lot of their stuff, but they'll have a small handful of songs that are amazing. Baroness is like that for me. Don't like most of their stuff, but the ones I dig are really awesome.

That Saffire band is even Swedish. They kind of remind me a bit of Deep Purple with Dio on vocals. I only found them about a year ago. Not sure how I missed them. I've listened to everything they've released and haven't disliked any of it.
Beggars were a trio at the start, Mike left Carcass 1993 and moved home from UK. He and Witt (drums) are the 2 founding members left in the band. Spice was a bassist/singer. In my opinion the Spice era is the best. They released 4 albums with him, and it was a pretty ugly breakup. Spice moved from town and sadly I haven't seen him more than a few times since then.

Their second album, Another way to shine, was nominated for a swedish grammy. At the gala Spice got drunk as a donkey and hit the singer of the band Hardcore Superstar, Joachim Berg, right on the nose after exchanging some pleasantries and got thrown out.
When touring in Holland he stole a couple of pizzas from some people who walked by and run right in to his hotel room and sat there for hours having munchies. He was quite the character, so many stories about him.

Per Wiberg joined on Hammond in 1998 and they got a richer sound.

After Spice, they got a singer (JB) who is now in the band Grand Magus (another trio together with Witt), and the bassist Roger. They released 2 albums, but I think they lost something when Spice left.
2005 Arch Enemy bassist Sharlee D'angelo replaced Roger on bass, Roger was just not right for the band

Then they had a restart in 2010 when Apollo joined and they toured all over europe again. When Mike is busy with Arch Enemy they are on hiatus and haven't released an album since 2016's Sunrise to Sundown. I like that album quite a lot, they sound more like Deep Purple and Uriah Heep there.

They have toured all over Europe with Iron Maiden, Fu Manchu and Monster Magnet among others and were pretty popular in Japan too. They have released 2 live DVD's but sadly not from the Spice era.

Arch Enemy is the bigger band and is Mike's first priority though so I don't know if he will do anything more with Beggars.
Ludwig is involved in many other projects, he is a really good drummer and never says no to a gig.
He is now working at a local music store together with my little brother and one of my friends.
We had some wonderful years touring the south in the 90's during the weekends, I was working 50 hours a week at that time, but drove them as much as i could and helped Ludwig with his drum kit.

When they played Sweden Rock Festival, at that time named Karlshamn Rock Festival, I parked my car in the backstage area and put up my tent behind the biggest stage. They got me an Access All Areas artist pass (which meant free beer and food) and I was standing on the main stage when Motorhead played, standing right next to Dee Snider who was friends with Lemmy. After the gig me and another friend got to touch his bass guitar when he handed it over to his bass tech. It was so freaking awesome. I also got a drum stick from Mikkey Dee.
Standing there on their stage when they played and watching out over the crowd was unbelievable, had to pinch myself.

Attachments

• IMG_0522.JPG
    IMG_0522.JPG
    275.5 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: MK9

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
Beggars were a trio at the start, Mike left Carcass 1993 and moved home from UK. He and Witt (drums) are the 2 founding members left in the band. Spice was a bassist/singer. In my opinion the Spice era is the best. They released 4 albums with him, and it was a pretty ugly breakup. Spice moved from town and sadly I haven't seen him more than a few times since then.

Their second album, Another way to shine, was nominated for a swedish grammy. At the gala Spice got drunk as a donkey and hit the singer of the band Hardcore Superstar, Joachim Berg, right on the nose after exchanging some pleasantries and got thrown out.
When touring in Holland he stole a couple of pizzas from some people who walked by and run right in to his hotel room and sat there for hours having munchies. He was quite the character, so many stories about him.

Per Wiberg joined on Hammond in 1998 and they got a richer sound.

After Spice, they got a singer (JB) who is now in the band Grand Magus (another trio together with Witt), and the bassist Roger. They released 2 albums, but I think they lost something when Spice left.
2005 Arch Enemy bassist Sharlee D'angelo replaced Roger on bass, Roger was just not right for the band

Then they had a restart in 2010 when Apollo joined and they toured all over europe again. When Mike is busy with Arch Enemy they are on hiatus and haven't released an album since 2016's Sunrise to Sundown. I like that album quite a lot, they sound more like Deep Purple and Uriah Heep there.

They have toured all over Europe with Iron Maiden, Fu Manchu and Monster Magnet among others and were pretty popular in Japan too. They have released 2 live DVD's but sadly not from the Spice era.

Arch Enemy is the bigger band and is Mike's first priority though so I don't know if he will do anything more with Beggars.
Ludwig is involved in many other projects, he is a really good drummer and never says no to a gig.
He is now working at a local music store together with my little brother and one of my friends.
We had some wonderful years touring the south in the 90's during the weekends, I was working 50 hours a week at that time, but drove them as much as i could and helped Ludwig with his drum kit.

When they played Sweden Rock Festival, at that time named Karlshamn Rock Festival, I parked my car in the backstage area and put up my tent behind the biggest stage. They got me an Access All Areas artist pass (which meant free beer and food) and I was standing on the main stage when Motorhead played, standing right next to Dee Snider who was friends with Lemmy. After the gig me and another friend got to touch his bass guitar when he handed it over to his bass tech. It was so freaking awesome. I also got a drum stick from Mikkey Dee.
Standing there on their stage when they played and watching out over the crowd was unbelievable, had to pinch myself.

Love Hardcore Superstar. Now, obviously you can't determine someone's persona by looks alone, but there is a vibe their singer gives off that sure makes it seem like he'd be a bit of a button pusher. :laugh:

Definitely going to add Spiritual Beggars to my 'liked' bands. I'm always looking for new music. Lot of long drives out to the cabin, so new stuff is always nice.

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
Love Hardcore Superstar. Now, obviously you can't determine someone's persona by looks alone, but there is a vibe their singer gives off that sure makes it seem like he'd be a bit of a button pusher. :laugh:

Definitely going to add Spiritual Beggars to my 'liked' bands. I'm always looking for new music. Lot of long drives out to the cabin, so new stuff is always nice.
He does have a punchable face, that's for sure.

Glad that you like them, I think they are great. They released 9 albums so far and my favorites is Mantra III (1998) and Ad Astra (2000). All killers, no fillers.

I found a concert from their tour 2003, with JB on vocals. He's doing a decent job, but he's no Spice.
I couldn't really connect with him, not sure why.

Apollo on the other hand is a really nice guy, but I known him some 30+ years.

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
Love NFO. Best thing Speed has done since really early Soilwork.
You're killing me. Don't get me wrong, I love their early stuff as well, but man they really, really got me with 'The Living Infinite'. I played the hell out of that disc for months. I guess I like the kind of progressive element they started adopting in with David & Sylvain.

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
You're killing me. Don't get me wrong, I love their early stuff as well, but man they really, really got me with 'The Living Infinite'. I played the hell out of that disc for months. I guess I like the kind of progressive element they started adopting in with David & Sylvain.
That shouldn't have read as if I've actively disliked anything they put out, new or old.... I just REALLY like NFO

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
That shouldn't have read as if I've actively disliked anything they put out, new or old.... I just REALLY like NFO
Gotcha. My fault for assuming you'd gone the 'They suck now. Only their early stuff up to ______ album is any good.' route. I've heard of NFO, just not actually heard them. I'll have to check them out.

[EDIT]: Holy s***. Guess I wasn't sure what I expected from NFO, but it sure wasn't what I'm hearing, lol. Not bad, just threw me off. By a lot. :laugh:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Soldier13Fox

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids

Sad to learn Kelly Joe Phelps passed away a little while back. If you have any interest in delta blues / Americana type music, check his stuff out. Really wonderful slide guitar.

Last edited:

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN

Sad to learn Kelly Joe Phelps passed away a little while back. If you have any interest in delta blues / Americana type music, check his stuff out. Really wonderful slide guitar.

Someday I'm going to get a resonator guitar. Have always loved the sound of them.
Never heard of this guy. Kind of surprised I haven't stumbled on his stuff before. I like it. Definitely like the Americana stuff.

Might be up your alley:

• Love
Reactions: Soldier13Fox

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Saw this guy many years ago in a smallish bar opening for Muddy Waters, who was extremely complimentary towards him. Son of the legendary record producer. He was all by himself playing a Dobro, or was it National, resonator guitar. He was really good.

I used to have a 1930, or thereabouts, Dobro. My buddy had a National, with the all steel body. Both were loud, with his probably a bit louder. Mine was pure Delta Blues, his was more country sounding. Very happy, brilliant sound.... mine was more smoky sounding. I am not a good player, especially in open tunings and with a slide, but even i could get it to sound good.

Last edited:
Reactions: MK9 and Sweetnut

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
Saw this guy many years ago in a smallish bar opening for Muddy Waters, who was extremely complimentary towards him. Son of the legendary record producer. He was all by himself playing a Dobro, or was it National, resonator guitar. He was really good.

I used to have a 1930, or thereabouts, Dobro. My buddy had a National, with the all steel body. Both were loud, with his probably a bit louder. Mine was pure Delta Blues, his was more country sounding. Very happy, brilliant sound.... mine was more smoky sounding. I am not a good player, especially in open tunings and with a slide, but even i could get it to sound good.

Used to work at Musicland back in the 90's. There was a Muddy Waters cover/tribute disc a bunch of artists collaborated on and that was my big intro to blues. Fell in love with the genre immediately.

I start getting out of my element with alternate tunings in general. I've got a guitar tuned to Drop C# for a lot of the newer heavy stuff. Drop D is usually about as far as I get outside of that. I have a couple slides, but rarely have I sat down and really delved into getting good with them. But, obviously like anything it's just practice and repetition, with honestly just a lot of monkeying around having fun with it to see what you can make sound good and build off that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad