The whole story: What Jeremy Roenick REALLY said

Status
Not open for further replies.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
...and not what ESPN wanted you to hear

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/sports/hockey/12000356.htm

Before I went into my rant, I was talking about the game of hockey, about getting it back on the ice, about what we have to do for the fans and telling people it's not about who wins or loses, it's about the game," Roenick said.

"But the media picked out the negative stuff... . Don't show snippets of the interview; show the whole interview, the whole message. My message during the interview was: How do we make the game more appealing to the fans?"

Roenick said his rant began when someone suggested the NHL lockout was the players' fault.

"That got my gall," he said. "We gave more back to the owners in this deal than any other sport has done. Before that question, I was talking about the game, how it was important to make it up to the fans and do something for them, and then that question came."

A partial video clip from TSN.ca shows Roenick talking very calmly about the game of hockey and even apologizing for its absence.

In the clip, Roenick talks about how much "the players have hurt" hockey and "might not have been right" in the lockout, a position that certainly won't please the NHL Players' Association.

Roenick says the new deal has to allow "the owners to make money." He then says that "fans should realize how much the players gave up" before blaming them as being spoiled.

"We're going to make the game better for the fans," he says in the video clip. "If you don't realize that, then don't come."

Takeo

Jul 9, 2003
Visit site
His accurate points don't negate his criticism of the fans. He was completely out of line with two or three of his comments. Maybe if he wasn't a Flyer, you'd understand.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Takeo said:
His accurate points don't negate his criticism of the fans. He was completely out of line with two or three of his comments. Maybe if he wasn't a Flyer, you'd understand.

I do understand, just because he is a Flyer doesn't mean I don't. Go back through history on the Flyers board and see how much I've berated him for various reasons. Maybe you're one of the people he is talking to with his rant.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Takeo said:
The media is in general terrible. This is just another shining example. Take the one thing that can cause controversy and create viewership and put it on the tube.

I like JR, and as far as I'm concerned, his rant is no big deal.

transplant99

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Before I went into my rant,

He says himself that he went on a rant....so what he REALLY said was...well....a rant and not anything that should of been said.

I had little problem with what he said until he started telling fans to stay away from the rink.

Who does he think he is? It's not his place to make such remarks, especially when he is claiming that players already have hurt the game!!

It breaks down to this..

"Im here to tell you that players have hurt the game, so now if you think we are spoiled, you can kiss my ass and not come to games and spend your money that pays my salary"

Just freakin brilliant stuff JR.

I actually hope the PA fines him for this crap....because i dont believe the league has the ability without the CBA in place.

MojoJojo

Jan 31, 2003
Philadelphia
Visit site
This is starting to snowball in the media. his comments have been distorted, and the distortion is being reported over and over getting further and further from what was actually said. You see this happen on the boards, repeat an opinion enough times and soon it is taken as fact. "JR insulted all the fans" or "Roenick has gone over the deep end" or "after a profanity laced tirade against the NHL, Jeremy Roenick..." etc. Most reporters are simply too lazy to actually listen to the interview, and just rehash what others have written.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
transplant99 said:
I actually hope the PA fines him for this crap....because i dont believe the league has the ability without the CBA in place.

They union would fine him for what he said about the union, not his rant.

The union brass has enough to keep themselves busy right now. Like what do they do next since they realize guys like Roenick are right, and were right over the winter.

habfan4

Jul 16, 2002
Deus Amat Pretzel
Visit site
So he should get a free pass because pre-rant he actually made a few relatively well intentioned comments? Is the media focusing on his negative comments, absolutely, but it's not like his response is being taken out of context or he's being misquoted. Bottom line, this guy doesn't think before he speaks. Why not simply "no comment" the galling questions? Instead he choose to take out his frustrations on the fans, the only blameless group in this sorry affair - not bright.

transplant99

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
They union would fine him for what he said about the union, not his rant.

Why not?

If the players deal, as is obvious now to anyone, is based on linkage of revenues, and he has just done something to lower revenues by telling people to stay away from the rinks ( all theoretical i admit) thereby lowering EVERYONES wages in the league and the PA....he isnt subject to disciplinary actions?

Takeo

Jul 9, 2003
Visit site
MojoJojo said:
This is starting to snowball in the media. his comments have been distorted, and the distortion is being reported over and over getting further and further from what was actually said. You see this happen on the boards, repeat an opinion enough times and soon it is taken as fact. "JR insulted all the fans" or "Roenick has gone over the deep end" or "after a profanity laced tirade against the NHL, Jeremy Roenick..." etc. Most reporters are simply too lazy to actually listen to the interview, and just rehash what others have written.

The media is not distorting his comments. They are reporting them selectively. There's two different issues here: 1) Roenick criticizing the NHLPA; and 2) Roenick telling the fans who believe the players are greedy to kiss his ass. While Roenick earns props for the first issue, it doesn't make the second issue anymore tolerable. If Roenick didn't want this stuff to hit the airwaves, he shouldn't have said it. The fans can say whatever they want because they pay to do so.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
transplant99 said:
Why not?

If the players deal, as is obvious now to anyone, is based on linkage of revenues, and he has just done something to lower revenues by telling people to stay away from the rinks ( all theoretical i admit) thereby lowering EVERYONES wages in the league and the PA....he isnt subject to disciplinary actions?

He's not telling people to stay away from rinks, he is telling people who think the players are spoiled (i.e. people who aren't real fans) to stay away.

If people aren't going to go Flyers games because of what Jeremy Roenick said, good. That's a better seat for me and I care more about hockey to boot.

Takeo

Jul 9, 2003
Visit site
go kim johnsson said:
He's not telling people to stay away from rinks, he is telling people who think the players are spoiled (i.e. people who aren't real fans) to stay away.

Ok, so you agree? Fans who think the players are spoiled are not real fans?

Jarqui

Jul 8, 2003
Visit site
"Everybody out there who calls us spoiled because we play a game, they can all kiss my a-. They can all kiss my a-."
"I will say personally, personally, to everybody who calls us spoiled, you guys are just jealous, and screw you guys, because we have tried so hard to try to get this game back on the ice," Roenick also said. "We are trying to get this game back on the ice to make it better for the fans, and if you don't realize that, then don't come. We don't want you in the rink. We don't want you in the stadium. We don't want you to watch hockey. Period."

What possible context can those remarks be justified in ?

Roenick can't take slapshots at hockey fans
http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/256-06282005-508170.html
Well, Roenick was right about this much: No one can dare call him cocky again. This wasn't the cockiness of a put-upon pro athlete. This was pure arrogance - and precious little forethought. In light of these 285 days without games, in light of pro hockey's tiny TV ratings and its slow slip from the consciousness of the average American sports fan, no one affiliated with the NHL should be telling fans they aren't wanted. There are too few of them already, and those who have remained loyal to the sport deserve better than insults and anger from hockey's biggest mouth.

I think this is a little closer to the mark. Evidently, so does JR as he apparently apologized (runaway league leader in apologies) for his remarks on 610 last night while doing damge control and trying to smother it with pathetic claims of "out of context". There's no sugar coating for those words. After what the fans have been put through, there is no acceptable context for those remarks. Period.

Sean Burke on the FAN590 yesterday:"There should be plenty of room on JR's butt for kissing lips as it has obviously gotten much bigger."

Last edited by a moderator:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Takeo said:
Ok, so you agree? Fans who think the players are spoiled are not real fans?

If you're a real fan why would you care if they're spoiled? I watch hockey, unless they are directly affrecting my income or tax expenses I could care less. It's more about being jealous, which once again, Roenick is right about. There isn't one person on this message board who would say "You know what, I'll take a 95% paycut because I don't want people to think I'm spoiled." Please.

Takeo

Jul 9, 2003
Visit site
go kim johnsson said:
If you're a real fan why would you care if they're spoiled? I watch hockey, unless they are directly affrecting my income or tax expenses I could care less. It's more about being jealous, which once again, Roenick is right about. There isn't one person on this message board who would say "You know what, I'll take a 95% paycut because I don't want people to think I'm spoiled." Please.

You care if they're spoiled when an entire season is taken away from you. And you're going to compare a 95% paycut for a multi-millionaire to a 95% paycut for an average fan? What kind of argument is that?

OK, even better, now we're coming down on the fans for being jealous of professional athletes. Wonderful stuff here. The hole gets deeper and deeper.

Matt Foley*

The media may have only revealed the more inflammatory comments JR made, but to them, that's what they want - something that makes headlines. For as long as JR has been in the game, and considering the number of interviews he's given over the years, he should know that by now.

I'm wasn't offended by his comments re: some fans can kiss his ***; he's entitled to his opinion. He opened his mouth, and now he has to live with whatever consequences come from his comments. If he's upset over how his comments were framed by the media, he has no one to blame but himself. If he didn't want those comments made public, he should have made it clear that he wanted them off the record.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Matt Foley said:
The media may have only revealed the more inflammatory comments JR made, but to them, that's want they want - something that makes headlines. For as long as JR has been in the game, and considering the number of interviews he's given over the years, he should know that by now.

I'm wasn't offended by his comments re: some fans can kiss his ***; he's entitled to his opinion. He opened his mouth, and now he has to live with whatever consequences come from his comments. If he's upset over how his comments were framed by the media, he has no one to blame but himself. If he didn't want those comments made public, he should have made it clear that he wanted them off the record.

Well you can look at it this way: The NHL is getting some publicity. And any publicity is good publicity at this point.

barnburner

Apr 23, 2004
I think his choice of words was pretty stupid. Still, I think he was expressing a personal frustration at being grouped as "selfish" and "arrogant" in spite of his risking the ire of his fellow nhlpa members by trying to get a season saving deal in violation of "Deadline Bob"'s tactics.
It seemed to me that he was saying that not enough fans had recognized that there was a group of players that tried to step up and do what was best for the game, and that was being forgotten. Let us not forget - he also had the guts to stand up and admit that "We blew it". More than the majority of his fellow players will ever do..
Roenick is a lot like Hull - lots of stuff to criticize, but lots of stuff to admire also.
Even tho I am a Blues fan, I have tremendous respect for the way JR plays the game on the ice - the old fashioned way - hard, fast, and without quarter.

Last edited:

Jarqui

Jul 8, 2003
Visit site
go kim johnsson said:

Fans don't have to "care" if hockey players are spoiled but they're entitled to conclude that and still be hockey fans, aren't they ? ... unless of course, we must only see things as JR sees them ...

As for "jealous", that's another feeling that isn't a prerequisite to being a hockey fan. For some and probably most of us, no amount of money is worth going through life behaving or thinking as JR has. JR has some mental issues. He's a few bricks short of a full load.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
eh, i can't believe people get so up in arms about stuff like this. and the comments like "it's not his place to make such remarks" are laughable. just because you don't agree with them doesn't mean he can't or shouldn't make them.

sure he said some stupid crap but it seems to me the only people who would really find this offensive are the ones who already feel that the players personally wronged them and the players suck anyways.

Skk82

Mar 30, 2004
Arlington, VA
go kim johnsson said:
Well you can look at it this way: The NHL is getting some publicity. And any publicity is good publicity at this point.

not when one of the players is lashing out at fans and telling everyone if they don't agree with him, don't ever come back.

MePutPuckInNet

Jan 1, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
JR doesn't bother me a bit. If you "know" the personality of the guy, I don't see how you can really be offended. He just speaks how he feels, whenever he feels it. I don't see why everyone is so insulted. He just speaks the truth. Most fans ARE jealous.

And you're going to compare a 95% paycut for a multi-millionaire to a 95% paycut for an average fan? What kind of argument is that?

If that's not the green eyed monster talking, then what is? :cry: boo freakin hoo, he makes more money than you do. Many of you people keep letting the dollar signs get in the way of reason. You're no different from "those greedy players" or "those greedy owners", you just THINK you are. And somehow you've managed to convince yourselves that it makes you 'better' than they are. :teach:

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
ou're no different from "those greedy players" or "those greedy owners", you just THINK you are. And somehow you've managed to convince yourselves that it makes you 'better' than they are.

:handclap:

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
go kim johnsson said:
You've got to be kidding me!!! I am just as much of a fan as you are GKJ and I think they are spoiled rotten. Keep stupid "holier than thou" comments to yourself next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad