The ''What to do in Montreal'' Thread version 5.0

JPGoHabsGo

May 30, 2013
Hey all

I am going to be in town from may 6-10. Looking for advice on hotels (not too picky, just needs to be clean and safe). As well, should I trust scalpers by the bell centre or use stubhub? assuming the canadiens are in town I am dying to see a game but dont wanna pay through the nose for a fake ticket

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
Hey all

I am going to be in town from may 6-10. Looking for advice on hotels (not too picky, just needs to be clean and safe). As well, should I trust scalpers by the bell centre or use stubhub? assuming the canadiens are in town I am dying to see a game but dont wanna pay through the nose for a fake ticket

Scalpers are reliable... But you will pay a lot.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Hey! Might be coming to MTL or game vs Isles in Nov.

I have many questions which are not allowed to be asked on this form regarding things to do -- can someone "in the know", PM me? thanks!! :)

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I'm planning on going up with friends to go to Osheaga in Montreal at the end of the month.

Never been to Montreal before but where exactly is the festival at compared to the city. Thanks in advance.

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
I'm planning on going up with friends to go to Osheaga in Montreal at the end of the month.

Never been to Montreal before but where exactly is the festival at compared to the city. Thanks in advance.

You can go there using the subway station Jean-Drapeau. The festival is on Ste-Helens Island which is a man made island next to the Jacques Cartier bridge.... So it's about a 15 mins subway ride from downtown.

Jeandrapeau2.jpg

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
This is a wonderful guide, thank you so much.

I have been a Carolina Hurricanes and hockey fan since 2001. I know your fanbase may not love us, but hey at least I'm not a Bruins fan, right? :sarcasm: I should say that my only regular hockey jerseys are Canes jerseys. However, I do have a jersey with ComedyWorx on it (a local Raleigh improv comedy club) and we chose the Montreal Canadiens colors and piping. I love it. To be honest I think your jerseys are my favorites in the league, and I have a soft spot for you guys (especially because of PK Subban).

Anyway, every NHL player when asked what their favorite road city to play in is says Montreal. I got married last month and my wife and I are honeymooning and road-tripping from Boston through Montreal (I promise you I'm not a Bruin!). My question is do you have any recommended places to stay, or would you recommend going airbnb? I'd like to at least spend one night in a pretty nice hotel, but I'd like to not spend more than $250 if possible, and would like to spend my other evenings at around $120 or less. Reply or PM me if you have any advice. Thank you greatly.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
Montreal Summers

Hey guys,

I'm fairly new to Montreal and was wondering if any of you have any suggestions in what to do in downtown Montreal in the summer. Any festivals, sites, restuarents, any firworks happening this month. So far I love the city, would like to live it up a bit here too. Merci :)

The n00b King

Kingin' since 2003
Feb 10, 2008
Singapore
Hey guys,

I'm fairly new to Montreal and was wondering if any of you have any suggestions in what to do in downtown Montreal in the summer. Any festivals, sites, restuarents, any firworks happening this month. So far I love the city, would like to live it up a bit here too. Merci :)

Just get a beer and sit on a Terrace. Ogle.

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
Hey guys,

Oh boy you're asking all the questions that are answered in the the guide... Fireworks are every Wednesday and Saturday at la ronde and the Jacques Cartier bridge is closed so that people can watch from it, but it ended last week-end. Tonight there's a free concert by the OSM in front of the Olympic stadium, main festivals (jazz, just for laughs) are over, Osheaga too, but there's always something at the old port.

So here are the schedules and details for those events.

http://montreal.about.com/od/montrealevents/a/fireworks_mtl_2.htm
http://www.osm.ca/en/concert/big-free-concert-presented-siriusxm
http://www.oldportofmontreal.com/events

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
Oh boy you're asking all the questions that are answered in the the guide... Fireworks are every Wednesday and Saturday at la ronde and the Jacques Cartier bridge is closed so that people can watch from it, but it ended last week-end. Tonight there's a free concert by the OSM in front of the Olympic stadium, main festivals (jazz, just for laughs) are over, Osheaga too, but there's always something at the old port.

So here are the schedules and details for those events.

http://montreal.about.com/od/montrealevents/a/fireworks_mtl_2.htm
http://www.osm.ca/en/concert/big-free-concert-presented-siriusxm
http://www.oldportofmontreal.com/events

Yeah, seems like a missed a good portion already. But thanks for the schedules, im glad Old Sport still having events going. Really appreciate the links. :)

Last edited:

needmorefunds007

Sep 18, 2007
Rise of Yoga in MTL - Yogathon?

Hey all,

Not sure if you've noticed - but many of our Habs players practice yoga and focus on the breath/mind to stay focused.

I've seen hundreds of yoga studios in Montreal and just recently came across this event happening at the McCord Museum: https://www.yogathon.org/

I've heard of marathons and triathlons.... but now even yogathons... pretty crazy!

Any people in the board into this? What benefits have you seen?

On a side note, lots more women than men usually practicing...but that is slowly changing... for wtv reason (maybe it's the new place to meet women :naughty: )

Last edited by a moderator:

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
I get the feeling that people think breathing and stretching can replace actual physical/cardiovascular activity. But whatever. Yoga pants are among the greatest inventions of the modern era.

needmorefunds007

Sep 18, 2007
I get the feeling that people think breathing and stretching can replace actual physical/cardiovascular activity. But whatever. Yoga pants are among the greatest inventions of the modern era.

I think it complements it well... I've tried it and it made a huge difference for me.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I've done yoga and it's great exercise.

It's good for strength, balance, flexibility and cardiovascular health. With that said I'm taking an extended break from it to focus on accelerated weight loss. I hope to go back when I'm thinner.

needmorefunds007

Sep 18, 2007
I've done yoga and it's great exercise.

It's good for strength, balance, flexibility and cardiovascular health. With that said I'm taking an extended break from it to focus on accelerated weight loss. I hope to go back when I'm thinner.

I'm going to be joining the yogathon in Montreal - I heard it's an amazing workout. I need to shed lots of pounds myself.

:(

FF de Mars

Mar 2, 2002
42 rue Fontaine
This is a wonderful guide, thank you so much.

I have been a Carolina Hurricanes and hockey fan since 2001. I know your fanbase may not love us, but hey at least I'm not a Bruins fan, right? :sarcasm: I should say that my only regular hockey jerseys are Canes jerseys. However, I do have a jersey with ComedyWorx on it (a local Raleigh improv comedy club) and we chose the Montreal Canadiens colors and piping. I love it. To be honest I think your jerseys are my favorites in the league, and I have a soft spot for you guys (especially because of PK Subban).

Anyway, every NHL player when asked what their favorite road city to play in is says Montreal. I got married last month and my wife and I are honeymooning and road-tripping from Boston through Montreal (I promise you I'm not a Bruin!). My question is do you have any recommended places to stay, or would you recommend going airbnb? I'd like to at least spend one night in a pretty nice hotel, but I'd like to not spend more than $250 if possible, and would like to spend my other evenings at around $120 or less. Reply or PM me if you have any advice. Thank you greatly.

I'd suggest Hôtel Nelligan, in the Old Port.

Dec 2, 2010
I've heard that eating falafel with some green tea is like doing 1 hour of yoga.
If by yoga, you mean fart sesh, then yea totally.

Not many people actually know this or don't want to admit it.. but real yoga requires a lot of core strength and is a fantastic full body workout.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
Hi all,

I'm visiting Montreal for the first time Oct 1-5. Looks like I'll just miss a home preseason game, then they're on the road to play the Islanders. I'm not sure if there's a QMJHL team close to Montreal (is Sherbrooke the closest?), but it looks like junior hockey takes a break during NHL camps.

Any sports happenings that weekend around the city?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad