OT: The Visitors' Guide to Philadelphia (Pt. 2), recommendations, etc.; Flyers' books, DVDs

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Thanks for the reply Hollywood Couturier. Banter is no problem, in fact very often we do suck . You've reassured me though, that my friends were way over the top. I think they might be thinking of an Eagles/Cowboys beef. I'm not saying Hockey is perfect, but I've almost never seen trouble at any games I've been to over the years. That's one of the things I love about hockey.

Philadelphia just gets a way over the top persona of every single one of us being goons. Yeah, we've done stupid crap but every single other fan base has done stupid crap because there's a ton of stupid people on this earth.

Reactions: Blindsummit

Blindsummit

Jun 3, 2017
Alberta
I can't be the only one that doesn't love Geno's @ Xfinity, right? It's ok.

I sometimes go to Oregon Steaks on 10th and Oregon. Close to stadium. Great cheesesteaks. Just don't run around too far north of Oregon if you don't know the area. Easier to just drive down Oregon, hop out, get a steak. Or just continue down Oregon and hit Front street and hit up Tony Luke's, which is pretty famous. Oregon peels right off 76 so that's easy. Front street is like "1st" street. So, it is only 9 small blocks down from Oregon Steaks. You can take Front street to the stadiums from there. You could even stop at Cheerleaders (Gent Club) which is right by Tony Luke's. hey-o.

Thanks Flyotes, those all sound great, especially Cheerleaders <g>. I'll be Ubering, but thanks for the tip about Oregon. It's gonna be a great day! Can't wait. Go Flyers!

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Thanks for the reply Hollywood Couturier. Banter is no problem, in fact very often we do suck <l>. You've reassured me though, that my friends were way over the top. I think they might be thinking of an Eagles/Cowboys beef. I'm not saying Hockey is perfect, but I've almost never seen trouble at any games I've been to over the years. That's one of the things I love about hockey.

If anyone engages you just don't engage back. Last two games I went to fights broke out in the seats between fans. So, people can get out of sorts. One guy slugged a woman as well. You'll very very likely to be fine though. Hockey fans are pretty knowing and they don't care about the Stars here in Philly. If someone gets really annoying, say "Cowboys suck!"

Blindsummit

Jun 3, 2017
Alberta
Philadelphia just gets a way over the top persona of every single one of us being goons. Yeah, we've done stupid crap but every single other fan base has done stupid crap because there's a ton of stupid people on this earth.

Totally agree mate. I've never had a bad experience in Philly but have had plenty in other cities. Stupid people are everywhere. Hell I once had to "subdue" an idiot Stars "fan" who was attacking an usher in our own Arena.

I'm glad I'm finally going to get to a Flyers game though this time. Been a long time coming!

Blindsummit

Jun 3, 2017
Alberta
If anyone engages you just don't engage back. Last two games I went to fights broke out in the seats between fans. So, people can get out of sorts. One guy slugged a woman as well. You'll very very likely to be fine though. Hockey fans are pretty knowing and they don't care about the Stars here in Philly. If someone gets really annoying, say "Cowboys suck!"

Oh, I have no problem with that! The Cowboys do suck! I live in Dallas but am Scottish/Canadian so not into football much at all. So I'm happy to slag off the Cowboys!

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Also, if you get a cheesesteak and it is meh, sometimes that happens. Get another one a different way. Don't give up on cheesesteaks. Eventually you'll get one that will redefine your life. A food item akin to conquering Mount Everest. With cheese though.

I really enjoy a pizzasteak.

Blindsummit

Jun 3, 2017
Alberta
Also, if you get a cheesesteak and it is meh, sometimes that happens. Get another one a different way. Don't give up on cheesesteaks. Eventually you'll get one that will redefine your life. A food item akin to conquering Mount Everest. With cheese though.

I really enjoy a pizzasteak.

It's the journey to find the life defining cheesesteak that matters, all the cheesesteaks you have to have on the way to that moment. And that journey will last all your life and perhaps beyond........

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Sooooo were in philly this weekend, and the hotel are loaded! We find a nice Airbnb.

Is There something else than the Philadelphia film festival, and the harry Potter festival? We find it weird that the hotel are loaded for these events.

Were already have our tickets for saturday’s game against edmonton and for monday night football.

What we want to know is what are the best club in center city. We want the best plAce for the night Life for friday saturday and sunday!

Thanks for your help

I am not sure how many here have opinions on clubs. There are some offerings in the first post of this thread but those could be an individual taste more so than the pick of many.

As far as other events in town, check VisitPhilly.com and a list of activities will be found.

Last edited:

Blindsummit

Jun 3, 2017
Alberta
OK im in the Broad Street Bullies Bar in my Stars shirt and no one has beat me up yet <g>.
Come up and say hi if y'all see me!

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
heading to the eagles game this weekend. Any tips of tailgating? We're just playing on taking public transport down and setting up shop (without a car) in a parking lot. can anyone recomment a particular lot? cheers

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
heading to the eagles game this weekend. Any tips of tailgating? We're just playing on taking public transport down and setting up shop (without a car) in a parking lot. can anyone recomment a particular lot? cheers

Can't say I have ever tailgated without a car so i'm not sure how well you'll be able to maneuver it since the lots you have to pay to get in but i'm sure you can make it work.

You're best off setting up shop in one of the lots that are further away from the stadium (closer you get to the stadium the more crowded the lots are and tougher it will be).

Something like U, V, X, W....

Eagles-Parking_670x410.jpg

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
Can't say I have ever tailgated without a car so i'm not sure how well you'll be able to maneuver it since the lots you have to pay to get in but i'm sure you can make it work.

You're best off setting up shop in one of the lots that are further away from the stadium (closer you get to the stadium the more crowded the lots are and tougher it will be).

Something like U, V, X, W....

Eagles-Parking_670x410.jpg

Thanks! We're flying down from Canada for the game and are staying close to the stadium. We did it last year in Pittsburgh, just showed up to the tailgate with a cooler and just stood in the middle of where the cars drive in to the parking spots.

One more question, is there any spots to get cheap eagles (and other philly team gear)?

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Thanks! We're flying down from Canada for the game and are staying close to the stadium. We did it last year in Pittsburgh, just showed up to the tailgate with a cooler and just stood in the middle of where the cars drive in to the parking spots.

One more question, is there any spots to get cheap eagles (and other philly team gear)?

Define cheap? Haha.

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace

Sometimes you can get lucky at a store like Marshall's or TJ Maxx with Philly team gear. It's mostly gear from a player not on the team anymore, but sometimes you can get lucky and find generic stuff with no player names on it. Those stores are a crapshoot though so you need to rifle through all the garbage to find the good stuff.

There is a Marshall's in Snyder Plaza in south Philly that's not terribly far from the stadium. Might be worth a look.

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
Define cheap? Haha.

fair enough. We're not looking to get top of the line type stuff, in pittsburgh last year we came across a couple of shops that had loads of stuff for really cheap compared to the pro shop (a mug for $5-8, T-Shirts for $10-15, etc) . One of the guys on the trip is an eagles fan and has never been and was hoping there was a similar type shop he could stretch his canadian dollars on lol.

appreciate the tips cheers!

flyersfromquebec

Jul 22, 2012
Hey guys, Im always reading but almost never comment, still I enjoy reading GDT, Trade talk, roster talk...Im one big fan of the flyers in montreal and guess what ? My friends have organized a trip to philly this week end for my bachelor party, including the game on saturday. Im so excited. Do you have suggestion of things you really have to do coming to philly ?

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
Hey guys, Im always reading but almost never comment, still I enjoy reading GDT, Trade talk, roster talk...Im one big fan of the flyers in montreal and guess what ? My friends have organized a trip to philly this week end for my bachelor party, including the game on saturday. Im so excited. Do you have suggestion of things you really have to do coming to philly ?

We're there this weekend too from Canada, and I've looked over some things. There's a Football game Sunday and a Basketball game Friday night. We're planning on hitting up the Eastern State Pen for the House of Horrors one of the nights there too. have fun

HereNow16

Oct 18, 2016
Germany

Not a Philly native, but when I went there back in February, I had a few things on my to-do-list: eat a cheesesteak, see the Rocky steps, Eastern State Penitentiary, and the historic sites. But that's all really touristy stuff, so I don't know if you guys are down for that.

One thing I can really recommend is taking a tour at Yard's Brewery. It's for free, you get to drink plenty of samples, and get to know stuff about how they brew their beer. IIRC, it's only on certain weekdays, though. But their bar-room in the brewery is open every day, the beer was good and there was a food cart parked outside.

Have fun, enjoy the game, and good luck on that marriage thing that's coming up!

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
I recommend people check out Urban Axes if your looking for something fun to do. byob axe throwing place. We walked to Barcade which is a video game bar not to far of a walk but may want an uber.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Will be traveling to New York in February and def. planning a trip to Philly to see the Flyers. Which bookstores do you have in Philadelphia where I can buy books about the Flyers?? Which books do you recommend??

How much (in dollars including tax etc.) for a Flyers jersey in the stores?

Someone else can fill you in on merchandise costs. That isn't my area of knowledge.

As far as publications, this list is also in the first post of this thread. Some of the books are dated while others are personal retrospectives.

"Full Spectrum" was recently updated and is a must read.

Also, the newest publication is "If These Walls Could Talk" by Lou Nolan and Sam Carchidi. Nolan is the well-liked and well-respected PA announcer and deserves support for his longevity with the franchise.

This is not a complete list.

BOOKS:
  1. "Full Spectrum: The Complete History of the Philadelphia Flyers Hockey Club" by Jay Greenberg.
    • Updated in 2016: "The Philadelphia Flyers at 50: The Story of the Iconic Hockey Club and its Top 50 Heroes, Wins & Events" by Jay Greenberg
  2. "Score!: My Twenty-Five Years with the Broad Street Bullies" by Gene Hart
  3. "Bobby Clarke and the Ferocious Flyers" by Stan Fischler
  4. "Orange, Black and Blue" by Chuck Gormley
  5. "Walking Together Forever: The Broad Street Bullies, Then and Now" by Jim Jackson
  6. "Pelle Lindbergh: Behind the White Mask" by Bill Meltzer & Thomas Tynander
  7. "The Broad Street Bullies: The Incredible Story of the Philadelphia Flyers" by Jack Chevalier (though this is rare and expensive)
  8. "Philadelphia Flyers Encyclopedia" by David Sherman
  9. "The Greatest Players and Moments of the Philadelphia Flyers" by Stan Fischler
  10. "The Good, the Bad & the Ugly Philadelphia Flyers: Heart-pounding, Jaw-dropping, and Gut-wrenching Moments from Philadelphia Flyers History" by Adam Kimelman
  11. "100 Things Flyers Fans Should Know & Do Before They Die" by Adam Kimelman.
  12. "Jonesy: Put Your Head Down & Skate" by Keith Jones
  13. "Journey Through Risk and Fear" by (Bernie) Parent, Michele M. Paiva & Dean Smith.
  14. "Philadelphia Flyers: Superman of the Ice" by Stan Fischler
  15. "Open Net" by George Plimpton. A must for any hockey fan. The book is mostly about the author's tryout with the Bruins but it includes the notorious Flyers-Bruins' late 1970s preseason game brawl at the Spectrum and that alone is worth the read
  16. "Fred Shero: A Kaleidoscopic View of the Philadelphia Flyers' Coach" by Rhoda Rappeport
  17. "Shero: The Man Behind the System" by Fred Shero and Vijay S. Kothare
  18. "Hockey For The Coach, The Player, And The Fan" by Fred Shero and Andre Beaulieu
  19. "The Riverton Rifle: My Story -- Straight Shooting on Hockey and on Life" by Reggie Leach
  20. "Keith the Thief" by Blake Allen
  21. "Sports Illustrated Philadelphia Flyers at 50: The All-Time Team - The Bitter Rivalries - The Back-to-Back Cups" by the editors of Sports Illustrated
  22. "Philadelphia Flyers, Pennsylvania (Images of Sports Series)" by Russ Cohen, Mike del Tufo, Joe del Tufo and Bruce "Scoop" Cooper
  23. "If These Walls Could Talk" by Lou Nolan and Sam Carchidi

DVDs:
  • Philadelphia Flyers 10 Greatest Games DVD Set
  • History of the Philadelphia Flyers

Last edited:
Reactions: 92TeamCanada97

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
Just wanted to say thanks for the tips and like from the fine folks here. Had a stellar time in Philly this past weekend. I thought I'd pass on my tips.

We stayed right off South St close to 2nd, and there were lots of pubs, bars, clubs around. As well as restaurants. South St is not your generic type of place, lots of character, very cool, artsy neighbourhood. Just note I like offbeat type stuff

Sights:
- Magic Garden (South St.) - very trippy, worth the $10 admission
- Giant Ants (South St) on the former Zipperhead building (for any punk fans out there), just something you pass by
- Mutter Museum (medical oddities, no for the faint of heart)
- Love Letter Mural - cool way to checkout the surrounding area close to DT
- Irish Memorial
- Graffiti Pier - very offbeat, go early. would be sketchy at night I imagine
- Reading Terminal Market - every type of cuisine you can imagine, had the best damn donut ever here
- Eagles game - we just brought a cooler and met some nice folks who let us crash with them for the tailgate. People were awesome, and our buddies in Broncos gear were not given any undue grief (especially after the whipping they were on the end of...)

Bars & Restaurants:
Tattooed Mom (South St) - bumper cars for seats?
Happy Birthday Bar (near Geno's)
Milkboy (South St, and there is another one DT as well) - good food
Barcade (Fishtown) - great selection of old arcade machines
Garage (Fishtown) - went on sunday night and was dead, was a little disappointed that I couldn't play skee-ball.
Yards Brewery (Fishtown) - check the hours
24 Diner on South near 2nd - saved my life lol

Shops:
Philly Team Store - lots of eagles stuff, you could get old players jerseys for as little as $30. so-so Flyers selection, but they do have older merch on sale
Repo Records (South St) - Good selection of vinyl, picked up some gems for $1-$2 a pop, but they also have new stuff at a decent price

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Garage in South Philly is way better than the one in Fishtown (or at least it was). The Fishtown one has led to the worsening of that whole block/street corner. Far too bro-ey, and they're the ones responsible for the food trucks having to close/leave at midnight (not cool!).

Granted, I will say I haven't been to the Garage in South Philly since the one in Fishtown opened up, so it's possible it also went downhill.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Working up a breweries section to be added to the OP:

Breweries:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad