OT: The Visitors' Guide to Philadelphia (Pt. 2), recommendations, etc.; Flyers' books, DVDs

letsgoflyers75

Aug 11, 2004
www.bluelinehockey.net
This first post was altered to include more recent experiences including those of members within this board. The original objective by the thread starter in 2007 was to assist those who asked questions about visiting the city and although information has changed in that time, the efforts of that person should not go unnoticed. Some of the opinions were by the original poster in 2007 while some were added. Attempts have been made to update without compromising the basics of the thread.

Feel free to inquire additionally but also read recent reviews and experiences as the thread grows.

Introduction
  • Welcome! So, you're in from out of town to see the Flyers, or just visiting the city? Well, we're the City of Brotherly Love, so welcome! Here's everything you need to know about visiting Philadelphia.
Official Visitor And Travel Site at VisitPhilly
Flyers' Ticket Information and the Wells Fargo Center/Sports Complex
Getting to Philadelphia
Getting around in Philadelphia
  • SEPTA is the acronym for Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority. It runs public rails and buses throughout the city. They also run regional rail lines out of 30th Street Station. Regional Rail connects to each airport terminal and quickly takes you to Center City, so there's no need to rent a car if you're flying in. SEPTA Transit System Map SEPTA | Clickable Regional Rail & Rail Transit Map and SEPTA bus routes SEPTA | Buses are found at the links provided.
  • Center City Philly is also very walkable.

Where to stay?
What to do?
Where to eat and drink?
  • Other Pub/Tavern spots
    • Cavanaugh's Headhouse - This is a great Irish food and a big place located on 2nd street just North of South Street. More adult and young professional crowd. Beer selection is good, too. The "scene" is OK, but it's a good place to "hang" with an older group. (formerly known as the Dark Horse).
    • The Public House - Located in Center City, this place is always packed. Some great "scenery" here. Big place, lots of TVs, probably going to be a line to get in. If you're in Center City and want a bar that's somewhat of a scene go here.
    • Tir Na Nog -Center City and close to the Public House. Irish pub, but the menu can be expensive. Good place to hang after work, but haven't come often for the bar scene later at night.
    • Nodding Head - Great homebrews and good food. Been here a few times after work.
    • New Wave - I had to sneak this in because it's my favorite "neighborhood" bar located in Queen Village. It's a good walk South of South Street. Good crowd, might be a little tight, but a good local set. Food is pretty good, too. If you're driving, parking can really suck. It's probably not suitable for what you want to accomplish since there's not much else around it unless you want to walk or cab it. Just thought I'd toss it in there...
    • Black Sheep - Get's some good press, but I'm not a huge fan. Can be really tight inside.
    • Drinker's is good, especially for a group. Welcome
  • Pizza
    • Lorenzo and Sons Pizza ( http://www.lorenzoandsonspizza.com/ ) on South Street is the place to go if you want a late night slice of pizza. Hit it by cab on your way back from Old City or Center City and call in an order for a pie to go. Note: pizza-by-the-slice comes plain only. No toppings. If you order a pie, they will put toppings on it. The line will probably be out the door after the bars close, so I recommend ordering a pie and picking it up on the way back to the hotel. The pizza can be purchased at the Wells Fargo Center, too.
    • Pizzeria Stella Pizzeria Stella
    • Pizza suggestions on VisitPhilly.com: Where to Find the Best Pizza in Philadelphia
  • How to order a Philly Cheesesteak
    When ordering a cheesesteak, the idea is to let the cashier know a.) that you would like a cheesesteak, b.) what type of cheese you want, and c.) whether or not you want fried onions. And you have to be as concise as possible while doing so.

Locals have become so adept at this practice that they basically have it down to three words: saying “one wiz with” to the person behind the counter means that you would like one cheesesteak [denoted by the “one”] with Cheeze Wiz as your choice of cheese [denoted by the “wiz”] and with fried onions [denoted by the “with”].

Similarly, saying “one provolone without” would secure you a single cheesesteak [one] made with provolone cheese [provolone] and without fried onions [without].​
Sports Bars
What books have been written on the Flyers?
  1. "Full Spectrum: The Complete History of the Philadelphia Flyers Hockey Club" by Jay Greenberg.
    • Updated in 2016: "The Philadelphia Flyers at 50: The Story of the Iconic Hockey Club and its Top 50 Heroes, Wins & Events" by Jay Greenberg.
  2. "Score!: My Twenty-Five Years with the Broad Street Bullies" by Gene Hart.
  3. "Bobby Clarke and the Ferocious Flyers" by Stan Fischler.
  4. "Orange, Black and Blue" by Chuck Gormley.
  5. "Walking Together Forever: The Broad Street Bullies, Then and Now" by Jim Jackson.
  6. "Pelle Lindbergh: Behind the White Mask" by Bill Meltzer & Thomas Tynander.
  7. "The Broad Street Bullies: The Incredible Story of the Philadelphia Flyers" by Jack Chevalier (though this is rare and expensive).
  8. "Philadelphia Flyers Encyclopedia" by David Sherman.
  9. "The Greatest Players and Moments of the Philadelphia Flyers" by Stan Fischler.
  10. "The Good, the Bad & the Ugly Philadelphia Flyers: Heart-pounding, Jaw-dropping, and Gut-wrenching Moments from Philadelphia Flyers History" by Adam Kimelman.
  11. "100 Things Flyers Fans Should Know & Do Before They Die" by Adam Kimelman.
  12. "Jonesy: Put Your Head Down & Skate" by Keith Jones.
  13. "Journey Through Risk and Fear" by (Bernie) Parent, Michele M. Paiva & Dean Smith.
  14. "Philadelphia Flyers: Superman of the Ice" by Stan Fischler.
  15. "Open Net" by George Plimpton. A must for any hockey fan. The book is mostly about the author's tryout with the Bruins but it includes the notorious Flyers-Bruins' late 1970s preseason game brawl at the Spectrum and that alone is worth the read.
  16. "Fred Shero: A Kaleidoscopic View of the Philadelphia Flyers' Coach" by Rhoda Rappeport.
  17. "Shero: The Man Behind the System" by Fred Shero and Vijay S. Kothare.
  18. "Hockey For The Coach, The Player, And The Fan" by Fred Shero and Andre Beaulieu
  19. "The Riverton Rifle: My Story -- Straight Shooting on Hockey and on Life" by Reggie Leach
  20. "Keith the Thief" by Blake Allen
  21. "Sports Illustrated Philadelphia Flyers at 50: The All-Time Team - The Bitter Rivalries - The Back-to-Back Cups" by the editors of Sports Illustrated
  22. "Philadelphia Flyers, Pennsylvania (Images of Sports Series)" by Russ Cohen, Mike del Tufo, Joe del Tufo and Bruce "Scoop" Cooper
  23. "If These Walls Could Talk" by Lou Nolan and Sam Carchidi
  24. "Unmasked: Bernie Parent and the Broad Street Bullies" by Bernie Parent
  25. "The Big 50: Philadelphia Flyers: The Men and Moments that Made the Philadelphia Flyers" by Sam Carchidi and Wayne Fish

What DVDs are available?
  • Philadelphia Flyers 10 Greatest Games DVD Set
  • History of the Philadelphia Flyers

Last edited by a moderator:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
This post has been re-created and in certain categories updated by me from the original content which was produced by the member in 2007. He deserves credit for the effort.

If any members here want to offer personal experiences and favorites, feel free to do so. Your input is as valuable as any others.

We know what questions get asked the most frequently, hotel accommodations, places to eat, tourist info, etc, so offer some input if you so desire.

Last edited:

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
The bus section of the post should be updated to include MegaBus and Bolt Bus. Both of which are decidedly better than Greyhound, and both of which service JFK Ave just West of 30th Street Station. Also consider adding in the various "Chinatown Bus" lines.

The SEPTA description should update the name of the Pattison Avenue stop to its current name (AT&T Station).

I'll leave the bars, restaurants, and cheese steaks suggestions alone for now (other than to say they look like they were written by someone from the suburbs ;) )

HockeyRulez

Panthers hockey since 1993
Nov 11, 2010
The Sunshine State
Outsider coming in peace. Will be in Philly late next week and am thinking about going to the Bruins and Flyers game. Would be my first time going to a Flyers game so am wondering if anyone has any recommendations as it comes to travel. If coming from the downtown area toward the arena, is it best to ride the train, cab, uber, etc. to and from? Also I usually buy tickets on ticketmaster so is that ok?

Thanks for the extensive OP and am looking forward to the opportunity to go to a game up there!

P.S. Which cheesesteak place is the best? lol jk I'm sure they are all great!

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
Outsider coming in peace. Will be in Philly late next week and am thinking about going to the Bruins and Flyers game. Would be my first time going to a Flyers game so am wondering if anyone has any recommendations as it comes to travel. If coming from the downtown area toward the arena, is it best to ride the train, cab, uber, etc. to and from? Also I usually buy tickets on ticketmaster so is that ok?

Thanks for the extensive OP and am looking forward to the opportunity to go to a game up there!

Depending on where your going to be, you may want to take the orange line subway http://www.septa.org/maps/transit/bsl.html

It will kick you right out to the stadium complex, you can walk over to Xfinity live and have a beer, they also have cheesesteaks there. The touristy thing is to get Geno's or Pats, avoid those and go to one of the many cheesesteak places discussed in the last iteration of this thread. I like Jims on South Street, i like provolone wit personally.

your best bet for tickets is Stubhub which is the official vendor of the flyers. There is a Stubhub kiosk at the Holiday Inn on Pattison Ave which is a few blocks from the stadium complex.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004

If you scan post 2, which links to the most recent thread on this topic, you will find suggestions of all types including cheesesteaks. Start with the most recent posts and work your way back.

Philippe

Oct 5, 2017
Hey folks! We are three guys from Canada coming to Philly October 17-20. We're going to the game against Nashville on Oct19 but we would like to know where to catch tuesday's game against Florida. Is there a bar where people will really care about the game? Thanks guys!

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Hey folks! We are three guys from Canada coming to Philly October 17-20. We're going to the game against Nashville on Oct19 but we would like to know where to catch tuesday's game against Florida. Is there a bar where people will really care about the game? Thanks guys!

XFinity Live near the Arenas is probably your best bet if you want the rowdiest atmosphere. Won't be too crazy on a Tuesday but still.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Hey folks! We are three guys from Canada coming to Philly October 17-20.

cast.jpg

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
Xfinity is probably the best with a good crowd. Chickie & Pete's is good too.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004

In addition to responses you have received, there is a list in the first post of this thread :

Options for Sports Bars

Reactions: Philippe

matthewconte

Oct 6, 2017
I've just moved to Chestnut Hill and I'm looking for a good North Philly bar to watch games at.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
Just to throw this out there, i recently went to a wedding at the American Swedish History Museum at FDR park, we stayed at the Loews hotel in philly, very nice hotel and a good bar down stairs for those looking for a place to stay in the city i recommend it.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
I've just moved to Chestnut Hill and I'm looking for a good North Philly bar to watch games at.

Sports bars throughout the region can be found in the opening page of this post and as a reply to a similar request. As far as something specific to North Philly, perhaps others have ideas.

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
Hi guys I have a football trip on November 5th for the game against the Broncos. I request your assistance to help to get use the best 24 hours possible in your wonderful town.. I have somes questions for you :
  1. A parking near but outside the Lincoln financial (and the costs) and not too far of the rod 676 ( I actually try to get an answer from the Sport complex )
  2. You probably know that November 4th is the UFC's return for GSP. We would like to find a Phily steaks restaurant open around midnight able to watch the epic battle.
  3. We’re search for a 25yo – 35yo bar . Is « Plough and the stars » a great place for us? Is it easy to find places around 1am?
  4. How much could be Flyers tickets if we arrive in the middle of the 2nd period for the game against Colorado?

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Hi guys I have a football trip on November 5th for the game against the Broncos. I request your assistance to help to get use the best 24 hours possible in your wonderful town.. I have somes questions for you :
  1. A parking near but outside the Lincoln financial (and the costs) and not too far of the rod 676 ( I actually try to get an answer from the Sport complex )
  2. You probably know that November 4th is the UFC's return for GSP. We would like to find a Phily steaks restaurant open around midnight able to watch the epic battle.
  3. We’re search for a 25yo – 35yo bar . Is « Plough and the stars » a great place for us? Is it easy to find places around 1am?
  4. How much could be Flyers tickets if we arrive in the middle of the 2nd period for the game against Colorado?

1. You're looking at $50 to park for Eagles games, 676 goes through Center City so the parking will be far away from 676 itself but basically all highways in the area can get you there. The only issue is that getting out of the lots after an Eagles game is a cluster f***. Police force you one way and there's nothing you can do about it. Your best option is probably parking in Lot X.

Eagles-Parking_670x410.jpg

2. So bars in Philly are open til 2AM but most cheesesteak places in the city that are noteworthy don't really necessarily have inside seating with tv's. Your best bet would be Xfinity Live! which is located at the sports complex. It's basically a giant bar with different "bars" inside of each other. They have a Genos in there. They should have the fight on TV.

3. Philly is a pretty young town. Regarding the place you mentioned I've never heard of it so I can't speak for it. Like I said earlier bars close at 2AM though so no issue there.

4. Your issue with getting tickets after the game started is that StubHub and other companies won't have tickets listed for purchase so you'll have to buy them ahead of time. I also highly doubt scalpers are still hanging around outside the stadium with tickets.

matthewconte

Oct 6, 2017
Sports bars throughout the region can be found in the opening page of this post and as a reply to a similar request. As far as something specific to North Philly, perhaps others have ideas.

Yes, I read them. None were Flyers-specific in North Philly. Figured someone might have a suggestion. It's cool if you don't.

Blame the referee

Aug 24, 2014
Granby
Sooooo were in philly this weekend, and the hotel are loaded! We find a nice Airbnb.

Is There something else than the Philadelphia film festival, and the harry Potter festival? We find it weird that the hotel are loaded for these events.

Were already have our tickets for saturday’s game against edmonton and for monday night football.

What we want to know is what are the best club in center city. We want the best plAce for the night Life for friday saturday and sunday!

Thanks for your help

Blindsummit

Jun 3, 2017
Alberta
Greetings Flyers fans!
Dallas Stars fan here. I am very excited to be visiting Philadelphia this weekend for work, and even more excited to have a ticket for the Oilers game on Saturday. I've never been to Wells Fargo Arena and as part of my quest to eventually visit every NHL arena, this is a big one!
Wherever I go I usually am happy to wear a Stars shirt, as I'm proud to support my team and it usually gets people talking to me which is great.
I was intending to do the same to the game on Saturday, but when talking about it with a couple of fellow Stars fans last night they seemed to think this would not go down well, and that this wouldn't be a good idea in Philly, and that there is some serious dislike of Dallas.
I am struggling to think of any reason for bad blood between the Stars and Flyers, although perhaps there might Eagles/Cowboys issues I guess. I'm a hockey guy not football so wouldn't know.
I think my friends are totally wrong, and I've always had a good time in Philly, and met lots of great people. I can't believe I'll get any hostility just because I'm wearing a Stars shirt. but what do you guys think or advise?
Oh and I had a look at the bars list at the top of the thread, thanks for posting, but if anyone has a quick pre/post game sports bar recommendation out of that lot, that would be great! Nothing too fancy.......
Cheers and see y'all Saturday!

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
You shouldn't have an issue with people giving you crap for wearing a Stars shirt/jersey.

I can't say that 100% unequivocally that you some jackass won't make a "Dallas Sucks" comment to you but you shouldn't be bothered for wearing anything Stars related.

Reactions: Blindsummit

Blindsummit

Jun 3, 2017
Alberta
Thanks for the reply Hollywood Couturier. Banter is no problem, in fact very often we do suck <l>. You've reassured me though, that my friends were way over the top. I think they might be thinking of an Eagles/Cowboys beef. I'm not saying Hockey is perfect, but I've almost never seen trouble at any games I've been to over the years. That's one of the things I love about hockey.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
I can't be the only one that doesn't love Geno's @ Xfinity, right? It's ok.

I sometimes go to Oregon Steaks on 10th and Oregon. Close to stadium. Great cheesesteaks. Just don't run around too far north of Oregon if you don't know the area. Easier to just drive down Oregon, hop out, get a steak. Or just continue down Oregon and hit Front street and hit up Tony Luke's, which is pretty famous. Oregon peels right off 76 so that's easy. Front street is like "1st" street. So, it is only 9 small blocks down from Oregon Steaks. You can take Front street to the stadiums from there. You could even stop at Cheerleaders (Gent Club) which is right by Tony Luke's. hey-o.

Reactions: Blindsummit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad