The Utica Comets Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Period comes to an end and it's 3-1 Utica.

SOG for the period 14-13 Toronto.
31-27 TO after 2 periods

Joy in Utica for 2 periods at least. LOL

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
A bit of hilarity. Utica is statistically o/2 on the PP. One PP was for 7 seconds and the other was for an amazing length of 3 seconds. These actually go into the official record books as failed PPs. Go figure.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Demko a save and Mac takes it all the way back and gets no shot.

Darcy keeps it in twice. A lot of movement, but nothing dangerous occurred.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Cameranesi blasted to the ice and he stays down.

PP coming for the Comets. 14:12 left in the 3rd.
More important is Tony. He's being tended to on the ice.

I got to go to Dinner. I'll keep on track, but will be no posts until I return.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Apparently not a sole in Utica is paying attention. Dinner is done. The game is over. The Comets were awarded a 5 minute major on the hit to Cameranesi. They barely threatened.

Then with 5:39 left Carcone was cut for the second night in a row and the Marlies went down 4 minutes on the double minor. Wiercioch hit the crossbar again, but the 4 went by with little more pressure.

What the Comets did do for those 9 minutes was prevent the Marlies from getting a shortie. That has been a problem for the Comets. They have been giving up more than they have produced for themselves when on the power play. Not this time. They withstood some serious pressure 6 on 5 and bent but didn't break and the result is a 3-1 Comets victory over the AHL's top team after dropping one to the AHL's worst team last night.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Final score Utica Comets 3 Toronto Marlies 1.

SOG:
Comets 14 13 10 - 37
Marlies 17 14 8 - 39

PP:
Comets 0/4 (1st 7 - seconds, 2nd 3 - seconds, 3rd 5 - mins, 4th 4 - mins.)
Marlies 0/5

MacMaster (1) from Brisebois (12) and Carcone (11)
MacEwen (10) unassisted
Wiercioch (9) from Darcy (18)

Demko 38/39
39GP, 98 GA, 21-11-2-4, GAA 2.51, SV%/.919

3 Stars - All Utica Comets
1- Thatcher Demko 38/39
2 - Michael Carcone 1A
3 - Patrick Wiercioch 1G

Man games lost to injury 410.

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut. No no no no.

This was the typical Comets win. We haven't seen it in but one time in the past 10 games. The Comets keeper stands on his head (38/39). The Comets block a million shots (at least). They get a couple opportune goals (3 tonight). They skate their butts off working to keep the opponent at bay (if you call surrendering 39 shots doing such) and that's the game. This is how it's been done since Christmas and how it was done during the 16 game point streak. It was done only once in the last 10 games before tonight.

Can't fault the boys for their effort once again. Took too many cheap penalties, but got away with it due to some great goaltending and shot blocking (The first PP the Comets never got the puck out and therefore never got a change for 1:57 of the kill.) and some really stupid moves by the Marlies who got whistled for penalties of their own to nullify two of their own PPs seconds after they began and then getting called for 2 huge penalties totaling 9 minutes in the last 15 minutes of the game, the double minor coming with 5:29 left.

They will take this one, get a bite to eat, and enjoy their 293 mile ride home and look to build on the effort starting with another top 2 teams next Friday (W-B/Scranton and Saturday (Syracuse Crunch) before facing Binghamton on Sunday. Another grueling 3 in 3.

They will definitely sleep well in their own beds tonight.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
In early April, Goldy and Motte will be arriving back from VanCity....not sure about Boucher...and Dahlen and Gaudette are'possibles'.....and supposing that since both Lind and Gadjovich are signed players, they might in the queue....question is would any of them make a difference, and could Cull introduce that many new bodies to the lineup without disrupting the chemistry?

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
It would be a travesty if Boucher was not sent down and he and Goldobin would slide right back in with either Chaput or Darcy who they've had lots of chemistry with before..

Motte can slide into the middle of any other two wings since there is little chemistry there anyways. Cassels, Cherniwchan, and Hamilton are not ay makers. If Motte is 3 games should be enough for two decent wings to take a liking to him. Maybe MacEwen and Darcy or Carcone.

Hamilton and Bancks can get back together and add Comrie to form a top checking line once again.

After the Motte line is established there is a lot that can be done to form a third line.

I don't expect to see any other players from Jrs or Europe. The Comets will have to go deep to have a chance to see Lind. Gadjo could be here as his team is not one of the top teams to get in. Gaudette only arrives if his team goes to the frozen 4 and he decides to sign. He doesn't have to. He can wait and avoid the AHL playoffs. Not the smartest move on his part IMO, but nothing can stop him. He would fill the middle of a dynamite 2nd line that Cull can put together. When a team has no play making centers the chemistry with plumbers is not something you worry about disrupting because there is little there to begin with. The way this team has been playing for nearly a month disturbing chemistry is likely Cull's least worry.

In short, I look for nothing more than what comes down from Vancouver. Anything else would be a big surprise.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
My latest concern (voiced in an earlier recent post) may be coming to fruition. Hutton has been sent back to Vancouver after an infection on his foot was treated and he now has an open wound. The Canucks are on a 4 game trip starting tonight in Vegas and ending Sunday in Dallas. After shutting down Gudbranson the Canucks now have 6 healthy D-men. Will a Comet be on his way to join the Canucks? Who would said player be.

The Comets themselves only have one extra D-man on the roster in Simonelli. That doesn't include swingman Comrie who would likely be Cull's first choice to fill in on the top 6. He missed the last 2 games with an illness.

Being as how it's near the end of the season up there and the Canucks are going nowhere fast, perhaps it's time that Benning brings in the player he's been bragging up in Utica, Brisebois.

Last edited:

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

I've seen this article. It is based upon projections (which are in reality predictions based on what the pundits induce from what they know, have seen, and/or have learned about through other means). I never trust projection. I like to see the player produce to his projected level first. When that happens the projection was good. More often than not the projections are higher than the end results from anyone lower than those sure fire, can't miss blue chip #1s. Those not in that group with rave projections end up with kids being called busts when they don't live up to the projections even if they do end up good players. It's even worse for those blue chippers that don't knock the world on it's ear.

Most top prospects living up to the projections are in the NHL as soon as they are eligible, spend little time, if any, in the AHL and make an impact when inserted into their NHL team's lineup. Pettersson is the only one of those five that may follow that track in this group.

Boeser lived up to the raves as a 1st round selection in his draft year bursting into the NHL at 20 years of age.

Gaudette as a 5th round selection got the benefit of spending his 20 and 21 yr-old seasons in the NCAA instead of the pro minors in the AHL. He will start next season at age 22. That is an age that the top prospect that is usually going to be a major NHL impact player, TOP 6 forward/TOP 4 D-man, is expected to be in the NHL or had better be about to move up during that season. At 23 he would be less likely to become a major impact player based on NHL statistics for top 6 forwards. It wouldn't mean he wouldn't, but the odds start ganging up against him.

Juolevi is disappointing to many because he is D+2 and not progressing at the pace they think he should have relative to his #5 OA selection. This may be a bit of overreaction since he will only be 20 entering the upcoming season.

The expectations for Lind and Gadjovich are probably not as high, but more like hopeful. They will be in Utica where they will be charged with developing to a level where they can force their way into the Vancouver lineup. That will take longer than next season and require some other talents on the farm to play with so they can actually develop.

Demko can go either way, up or down. It depends on how Vancouver wants to handle his progression to the NHL. They currently have 2 goalies under contract for next season. It is not imperative to put him into the rotation next season. Those of us who have watched his every move for 2 seasons realize he could go up, but are not convinced it's really in the best interest of his development. He hasn't played to a level where anyone can look at him and say this guy is being wasted in the AHL. Markstorm had achieved the level where that was the case. Vancouver set up a perfect progression for their keepers that would see Demko in the NHL in 2019-20 with DiPietro moving into his spot in the AHL to begin the progression to the next goalie in Vancouver to team up with Demko.

There are no goalies in line designed to play on the farm next year and 2 more would have to be acquired for next year and one of them likely signed with expectations of mentoring the development of DiPietro the next 2 to 3 seasons. With the way Benning has provided the farm with play making centers, #1 D-men , and a couple scoring forwards if he promotes Demko to start next season, I don't see that future farm goalie plan getting a whole lot of thought until he is informed there are no goalies on the farm. By then the good ones will be gone and he will be looking for fill ins in the same manner he's once again looking for centers, high level D-men, and scoring forwards. The goalies will just be 2 more players added to the rest he's trying to find that are already signed elsewhere. This kind of planning has to be addressed in the summer, not after the draft, free agent period, and development camps are all in the past.

Juolevi and Gaudette will be given every chance to make the Canucks based on the current roster that is contracted to return next season. Benning holds the key to where many of the young guys in the Vancouver system will start the season. If he picks up UFAs like he did last season and returns players many fans hope he will trade, there will not be many openings in Vancouver and Utica will get players I don't ever expect to see here.

Dahlen is in this mix as well. Goldobin and Boucher are also still in the mix, but are no longer shiny new toys.

This summer may be the most interesting yet since Benning was hired.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Canucks seem convinced they have something in Tyler Motte....sat out another game tonight and.if he sits out two more in the last few weeks of the NHL schedule, he can be sent to Utica both this year and next without clearing waivers.....I'd like to see them try him at center....was a pretty dynamic college player.....and still not sure about Leipsic....another bubble guy who might find his way to Utica eventually...Palmu has had a nice season in Finland, and could be fan favorite in Utica if he gets a contract.

I think in time, the Comets will become a lot more important to developing players for the NHL than in the past.....look at the number of impact players for Tampa who spent a season or two with their Syracuse AHL team.....Lind, Gadjovich, Dahlen, Lockwood and Dipietro will all spend time in Utica. And second-year players like Chatfield, Brisebois and MacEwan should be a lot better in their second seasons.

And if rumors are correct, the Canucks could be dipping into the NCAA college free agent market again.....obviously not all these guys will end up in the NHL, but they could. Hopefully the Comets become a true talent pipeline for the Canucks instead of just emergency call-ups.

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
Vancouver (25-39-9), lost for the seventh straight time (0-7-0), its longest streak since losing eight in a row from March 26-April 9, 2017. Jacob Markstrom made 24 saves in his fifth straight loss. Vancouver has been outscored 23-7 during its losing streak.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
The Canucks will likely have the most pingpong balls in the fish tank. Does that count?
The team deserves a break in the lottery... A lot will depend on what Green does next fall. I doubt he's the type to rush young players into the NHL before they are ready.
But it will be up to dim Jim to sign players to fill the gaping holes on this Comets squad. I have no clue why he doesn't appoint someone else to oversee and take care of the comets....

Reactions: BerSTUzzi

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Canucks and Jimbo seem to be pumping the tires on both Brisebois and Chatfield, but I'd be interested in the comments of Comet watchers.....what's story on these guys?.....are they legit to one day be everyday NHL d-man for the Canucks?

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Canucks and Jimbo seem to be pumping the tires on both Brisebois and Chatfield, but I'd be interested in the comments of Comet watchers.....what's story on these guys?.....are they legit to one day be everyday NHL d-man for the Canucks?
Only if you want your team to stay in last place... At this point they are decent players.. but they are not standing out on a middle of the pack comets team.

I'm not sure if Benning is relying on Johnson's reports or what... But this guy is far from being a shrewd evaluator of talent... I believe he said Sautner was an "elite skater" or something to that effect when Ashton was called up, yes he's a good smooth skater, but let's not get carried away....

I'm under the impression Johnson says whatever to make it look like he's doing a great job, or to pump up Bennings tires.....they are seriously over evaluating their talent here in Utica....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad