The Utica Comets Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Yeah, no **** 2 of those are going to be in the NHL. We're decimated with injuries and Virtanen is playing well enough to play regularly in the NHL. That's what happens when a NHL roster faces injuries, they call up players from the AHL. Utica's roster is good enough to survive 2-3 injuries to the NHL team, but 5-6 injuries will hurt any AHL roster. There's 4-5 good top 6 forwards for the AHL level and 3-4 really solid defencemen.

I'm lost on your angry retort. The explanation of players going up during injury had nothing to do with the post you are referring to.

The post basically stated that in 5 years the only players sent to Utica that Benning considered his prospects were the 4 you responded to. 2 are there now and should have been all along. Demko will get there. Brisebois is still questionable. We have had defenders here as good or better than him and they didn't get there and if Benning builds upon what he has (e.g. Juolevi) before Brisebois is ready, Guillaume's hope of the NHL may be based on a trade. He is no where near NHL ready at the moment. He is a shaky AHL 5/6 in a decent AHL D-corps right now. That isn't Utica.

If you think the Comets have 3-4 really solid AHL D-men right now, you have never watched the AHL for a season. Wiercioch is the only real 1/2 defender and he is weak in front of the net.. When healthy (if that ever occurs), Holm is 3/4 and he struggles with net front coverage and physical pressure.
They are the best of the Utica D-corps

That's it. Sifers is a steady, D -first AHL vet, with very little offensive game to contribute.

Sautner is and has always been 5/6. He needs a cover guy wherever he plays in the lineup. He is being asked to carry a young guy right now and it's above his skill set. Currently he is Utica's #2!

Brisebois and Chatfield are rookies and are playing like it. They are not playing like top prospect rookies on the verge of making their way onto the big club. Far from it.

Subban is gone and his offense on the back end will be duly missed when things are totaled up at season's end.

McEneny is gone for the season. He was top 4.

We won't even discuss what's been acquired to fill the gap with McEneny, Sifers, and Holm on IR.

My point was, tell me who Benning actually expects to be a Canuck out of that group? My answer was maybe Brisebois and I said maybe 3 years down the road. The rest are here to fill out a roster in Utica.

As to the forwards. 2 were sent here to fix some things in their game Goldobin and Boucher, but Benning really only has big hopes for Goldy, but it doesn't seem to be working out in Vancouver any better than it did in San Jose.
As to Boucher, I think Benning already gave up on him and thus the UFA signings.

Of all the rest, MacEwen may be the only one Benning has any hopes for.

This is the current roster of forwards minus Mac:

D'Aoust - AHL contract
Carcone - Undrafted, 2nd season. Only improvement is he doesn't fall down so much anymore.
Cassels - Wasted draft pick
LaBate Got his chances in Vancouver and failed. Currently on a steady slide downhill.
Molino - Good thing a draft pick wasn't wasted on him. Took a flyer on an undrafted college kid and right now he belongs in the ECHL.
Yan Pavel Laplante - Drafted 3rd round by Arizona and never even signed to an ELC. Benning saw fit to do such. Another wasted slot in the 50.

Then we have the AHL contract vets"
Wacey Hamilton
Carter Bancks
Darren Archibald
Cameron Darcy - Drafted 7th round by Tampa. Waived by Tampa after spending the second half of last season in ECHL Kalamazoo. Signed to a PTO by Utica and later signed to an AHL SPC. He is currently the Comets top center!
Brendan Woods - Drafted round 5 by Carolina. Released by Carolina after 4 seasons spent in the AHL. Released this Fall by Ottawa after a tryout. Accepted an AHL SPC from Utica at the end of their camp.

Then we have Vancouver's signings for Utica Chaput and Megna.

Goldobin and Boucher were the only real prospect forwards sent to Utica and Boucher is way beyond a prospect. The fact that in spite of being the Comets top goal scorer he has not been called up in time of dire straits in Vancouver says what Benning really thinks. The fact that with Sutter, Horvat, and Baertschi out, Goldobin is sitting and Boucher is still in Utica is definitely an indication as to the future plans Benning has for these two.

So my point was that if you look at his year's Utica Roster and the 4 previous ones, There have been less than a handful of players assigned here that Benning actually had any plans for in the first place. He has filled out his roster with 1st year guys the second they were eligible, players acquired in trades, and UFAs. Utica is just a place to stash a few guys he can call-up when needed, but not guys he intends to become future members of the Canucks fixed roster.

So again I state, his philosophy of what the farm is for is the opposite of NHL franchises like the Lightning and the Maple leafs who believe the farm is a place to develop as many of your prospects as possible and surround them with a core of experienced, talented extras that create a winning team because they believe the best way for their kids to develop is in a winning environment.

Benning never tries to make in season adjustments to the roster when it's obvious there is a missing link or 2. He hasn't signed centers to this roster since 2014-15. Benning not only doesn't try to find top extras to surround the developing prospects, he doesn't even send prospects to the farm that he has big expectations of becoming Canucks. Go down that list again and tell me I'm wrong.

No. I didn't list Demko, because I stated right in the beginning that he is the one prospect that is being counted upon.

Last edited:

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
True but at least there will be a group of highly drafted young players coming. Which will be the first time in Utica history. But still unless a major re-build is done in Utica, there will be problems. Still mostly winger prospects coming, who is going to play center.

As to your previous post which led you to post this one, you gave a list of current Comets you hope and assume will be gone. If you read my last 2 posts you will see I believe Benning doesn't care who is in Utica with his prospects. He views the farm as a place to stash a hadful of guys to call up when injuries hit and a place for his prospects to play. Note, I said play, not develop. Remember he said Virtanen was not scoring goals (proof of a forwards development) because the Comets had no centers. They didn't have any in '15-16 as well as last season '16-17 and he didn't acquire any for this season either relying solely upon Chaput to fill that role as he had in '16-17 (which he couldn't because he spent the season in Vancouver) obviously ignoring the fact that a team needs FOUR centers to complete a roster and never tried to find one to even replace Chaput. This season Chaput started with Goldobin and Boucher and every young player in Utica was left high and dry for a competent play maker. He does not care! Anyone can try and argue against that, but having acquired no centers in 3 years puts the proof on the table.

I agree with the first part of your second post. There should be a large influx of more highly regarded draft picks this coming season. Fix on that simple word, SHOULD.

JB has found an interesting way of dealing with those highly regarded prospects in the past.

First, he has tried to fit them onto the Canucks roster and thus not need to worry about them on the farm, Horvat, Virtanen, McCann, Hutton, Stecher.

Second, he has let the lesser possibilities (in his eyes) sink or swim with what was available on the farm, a sort of, "Prove to me what you got." philosophy, Jensen, Grenier, Corrado, Shinkaruk, Gaunce, Subban, Cassels, LaBate. 5 of those guys got call-ups to prove their worth. Corrado was lost on waivers when Benning could have been protected him if he knew anything about the way IR works. Jensen got traded. Grenier was allowed to go UFA. LaBate has been given shots and failed to produce so he is now on the outs. Gaunce actually made it, but is on thin ice at the moment.

Subban was traded because Benning stated he didn't believe his game could translate to the next level. Subban was just traded for the same reason. They never were asked to prove it with GP in the NHL. Hunter got 6 minutes on the 4th line and Subban got Utica, period. Both were AHL All-Stars and big point getters in Utica. He just made an arbitrary decision and that's his right. It's his job.

Third, he places them in Utica to fill out position slots on the Comets and when time runs out they just fade away. A couple examples would be Friesen, Kenins, and Zalewski. LaBate, Cassels, Carcone, and Laplante are current examples on the same path.

4th. Then there are the examples that won't make the big club, but can become solid base players for the Comets until their RFA seasons are burned off, and if good enough, can be kept on board by signing an AHL contract, Archibald, Biega, Grenier crossed into this category before he moved into the let 'em walk stage, DeFazio, Negrin, and now I believe that's where McEneny, Sautner, and even Boucher are.

You list Cederholm, Cassels, LaBate, Laplante, Molino, and Megna stating you hope they are either dropped or demoted to the ECHL. let's see.

Cederholm is here simply to work off his ELC so he is free of any commitment tp an NHL team. He'll be free to do whatever he likes either in NA or Europe. Personally, I believe he goes back to Sweden within 24 hours of his last game here.
Megna is a UFA and will accept another 1-way for $675,000 if Benning offers it and will play anywhere JB wants him to for the $. He's not exactly killing himself here right now. Probably keeping himself healthy in case he gets another call.
Laplante will still be on his ELC. Don't be surprised if he is still a Comet next season if only as a reserve.
LaBate and Cassels become RFAs. It would be real easy for JB to just re-up them both as 2 of those roster fillers I mentioned above. I agree they should just be allowed to go free agent if he can't trade them both together for something.
Molino is also an RFA. He could get signed the same as LaBate and Cassels.
the sensiblethng from a 50 contract basis is to let them go and sign some better non-veteran AHL talent in their places.

If JB takes the easy road he has taken in the past don't be surprised to saee 4 of the 5 signed and then it will be up to the coach to keep them on his roster or demote them to the Zoo. Travis had no problem sending Vancouver property he didn't think were AHL material to Kalamazoo. We willhave to see where Cull stands on that. The only 2 he sent down were players Travis had already sent there, Moynihan and Cederholm.

Now what about Lind, Gadjovich, Dahlen, Gaudette, Juolevi, and the outside chance of Pettersson.

Juolevi will be given every possible chance to prove he belongs before he is demoted to the AHL. Will he get a European escape clause also? Seems every European of great promise gets it.

Dahlen thinks he is an NHL player. He will have the same out next season he had this year. He will have the option of going back to Sweden and Benning instead of putting his GM foot down and saying, "The Canucks determine where you go and that will be Utica!" like To and Tampa do, he will say, "It's best for him to develop in Sweden."

If for some miracle Pettersson proves in spite of his monster year there this season that he is just not quite ready and maybe 20-30 games on the smaller ice in Utica would be better preparation than being tossed directly into that adjustment period in the NHL, He can say, "No, I'll go home for another season and come back next year." I can see JB having one of two responses.

1. Keep him in Vancouver and let the chips fall where they may.

or

2.Well he is still not big enough to endure the rigors of the NHL game so we feel it mutually better if he plays another season in Sweden. After all he won't be 20 years-old until November. We have time to wait until he's ready.

Instead of

3."You will report to Utica and we'll reassess your situation based on your progress there on a week to week basis. Nothing says he wouldn't prove real quickly, like most can't miss blue chippers do, that he has made the adjustment and is ready to come up.

I see Vancouver doing everything in their power to find Lind spot on the roster a la McCann and Virtanen. They will prove to have learned nothing from the previous error. Green may be the only saving grace for the kid.

They could try the same thing with Gadjovich and he's a bit bigger.

Gaudette is an interesting case. he holds all the cards. he can actually demand to burn off a year of his ELC this Spring and then get a guarantee of Vancouver or go back to school for his 4th year and pull a Vesey or Butcher and go elsewhere. How tough is Benning?

I agree that at least Lind, Gadjovich, and Dahlen (especially after spending the first half of this season in the Swedish minors) should start in Utica and Benning should be concerned to provide them with the team mates they need to succeed as quickly as possible, but we will see. They may in the end not be here anyways. As you have already been told, we have heard this all before and somehow they never end up here.

We also have guys like Jasek, Lockwood, Candella, Abols, McKenzie, Stukel, Gunnarrson, and Palmu floating around and there are others. There will also be his stabs at the undrafted overage guys like Chatfield. Then there is the high draft pick UFA or ex NHL player who has just not had the right breaks and has been released a la Borna Rendulic, Marco Roy, and Blair Jones. These are the kind of guys Utica usually gets. All guys with various levels of promise, many of whom have thus far failed. They all have defects in their game that Benning hopes can be fixed and if not, "Oh well."

Post me again in October and we'll see how this all worked out. I no longer count chickens until they hatch.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
I'm lost on your angry retort. The explanation of players going up during injury had nothing to do with the post you are referring to.

The post basically stated that in 5 years the only players sent to Utica that Benning considered his prospects were the 4 you responded to. 2 are there now and should have been all along. Demko will get there. Brisebois is still questionable. We have had defenders here as good or better than him and they didn't get there and if Benning builds upon what he has (e.g. Juolevi) before Brisebois is ready, Guillaume's hope of the NHL may be based on a trade. He is no where near NHL ready at the moment. He is a shaky AHL 5/6 in a decent AHL D-corps right now. That isn't Utica.

If you think the Comets have 3-4 really solid AHL D-men right now, you have never watched the AHL for a season. Wiercioch is the only real 1/2 defender and he is weak in front of the net.. When healthy (if that ever occurs), Holm is 3/4 and he struggles with net front coverage and physical pressure.
They are the best of the Utica D-corps

That's it. Sifers is a steady, D -first AHL vet, with very little offensive game to contribute.

Sautner is and has always been 5/6. He needs a cover guy wherever he plays in the lineup. He is being asked to carry a young guy right now and it's above his skill set. Currently he is Utica's #2!

Brisebois and Chatfield are rookies and are playing like it. They are not playing like top prospect rookies on the verge of making their way onto the big club. Far from it.

Subban is gone and his offense on the back end will be duly missed when things are totaled up at season's end.

McEneny is gone for the season. He was top 4.

We won't even discuss what's been acquired to fill the gap with McEneny, Sifers, and Holm on IR.

My point was, tell me who Benning actually expects to be a Canuck out of that group? My answer was maybe Brisebois and I said maybe 3 years down the road. The rest are here to fill out a roster in Utica.

As to the forwards. 2 were sent here to fix some things in their game Goldobin and Boucher, but Benning really only has big hopes for Goldy, but it doesn't seem to be working out in Vancouver any better than it did in San Jose.
As to Boucher, I think Benning already gave up on him and thus the UFA signings.

Of all the rest, MacEwen may be the only one Benning has any hopes for.

This is the current roster of forwards minus Mac:

D'Aoust - AHL contract
Carcone - Undrafted, 2nd season. Only improvement is he doesn't fall down so much anymore.
Cassels - Wasted draft pick
LaBate Got his chances in Vancouver and failed. Currently on a steady slide downhill.
Molino - Good thing a draft pick wasn't wasted on him. Took a flyer on an undrafted college kid and right now he belongs in the ECHL.
Yan Pavel Laplante - Drafted 3rd round by Arizona and never even signed to an ELC. Benning saw fit to do such. Another wasted slot in the 50.

Then we have the AHL contract vets"
Wacey Hamilton
Carter Bancks
Darren Archibald
Cameron Darcy - Drafted 7th round by Tampa. Waived by Tampa after spending the second half of last season in ECHL Kalamazoo. Signed to a PTO by Utica and later signed to an AHL SPC. He is currently the Comets top center!
Brendan Woods - Drafted round 5 by Carolina. Released by Carolina after 4 seasons spent in the AHL. Released this Fall by Ottawa after a tryout. Accepted an AHL SPC from Utica at the end of their camp.

Then we have Vancouver's signings for Utica Chaput and Megna.

Goldobin and Boucher were the only real prospect forwards sent to Utica and Boucher is way beyond a prospect. The fact that in spite of being the Comets top goal scorer he has not been called up in time of dire straits in Vancouver says what Benning really thinks. The fact that with Sutter, Horvat, and Baertschi out, Goldobin is sitting and Boucher is still in Utica is definitely an indication as to the future plans Benning has for these two.

So my point was that if you look at his year's Utica Roster and the 4 previous ones, There have been less than a handful of players assigned here that Benning actually had any plans for in the first place. He has filled out his roster with 1st year guys the second they were eligible, players acquired in trades, and UFAs. Utica is just a place to stash a few guys he can call-up when needed, but not guys he intends to become future members of the Canucks fixed roster.

So again I state, his philosophy of what the farm is for is the opposite of NHL franchises like the Lightning and the Maple leafs who believe the farm is a place to develop as many of your prospects as possible and surround them with a core of experienced, talented extras that create a winning team because they believe the best way for their kids to develop is in a winning environment.

Benning never tries to make in season adjustments to the roster when it's obvious there is a missing link or 2. He hasn't signed centers to this roster since 2014-15. Benning not only doesn't try to find top extras to surround the developing prospects, he doesn't even send prospects to the farm that he has big expectations of becoming Canucks. Go down that list again and tell me I'm wrong.

No. I didn't list Demko, because I stated right in the beginning that he is the one prospect that is being counted upon.
The 3-4 solid AHL defensemen were Sifers, Wiercioch, Holm, and McEneny. That is a good top 4 for an AHL team. The Cs were supposed to be Chaput, Gaunce, Hamilton and Cassels to start the season, Goldobin, Rodin, Archibald, Boucher as a top 6. 4 veterans, including Hamilton who was the least valuable. Some left because of too many veterans aka Rodin, others got called up from injuries and then here we are. Goldobin, Chaput, Gaunce, are all called up and that is a big chunk of Utica's top 6. I don't understand your point of not adding centres, T.J Hensick, Alex Friesen, Cal O'Reilly, Will Acton. All centres acquired or signed by Benning. The problem Utica is having is that there isn't enough non-veteran quality players available for them. The best ones are in the NHL right now like Goldobin and Gaunce. They need to find a centre like Gaunce or Boucher, not a veteran and can produce in the AHL. I don't know who out there can do that. Chaput is a good one, but he's a veteran. 2 veteran C's will likely shrink your wings and D.

And now you're going to tell me that a problem like that won't exist with good drafting. The 2014 draft was actually a pretty good draft for Benning he had a lot of good picks like Forsling, Tryamkin, Demko. Unfortunately, he traded Forsling (who would have been in the NHL anyways), Tryamkin bolted to Russia, Demko is doing well though. McCann and Virtanen are two different stories, McCann is gone for Gudbranson, Virtanen is in the NHL. 2015 brought Boeser and Gaudette, but they are college players and usually start their pro career later (esp late picks like Gaudette). The late round picks in '14 and '15 just haven't turned out into anything.

Looking at Tampa Bay's AHL team, impressive team with a lot of talented players, but their 2015 3rd rounder and 2013 1st rounder are leading the team in scoring. Our 2013 1st rounder is a top 6 centre, and our 2015 3rd rounder doesn't compare to theirs, but our 5th rounder who may have a similar impact, is in college, in his JR year. After that, they have 2 veterans in top 6 soring and a 2011 pick. Is Utica really that far off when healthy? I say no.

Not comparing TB's drafting to ours at all because nobody has outdrafted TB since Yzerman joined them.

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
Bad goalie, I agree i have little hope if Benning is still in charge. Hopefully we have a new management, who realise that depth in Utica is good for prospect development. I think Dahlen is going to spend next year in North America and I don't think he will be NHL ready, so hopefully he is Utica bound, same with Joulevi.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I'm getting a real weird feeling about Boucher. The last time a Comet was close to leading the AHL in goals (Reid is #2) he got traded.

Based on the Canucks scoring needs and the fact that Boucher is still in Utica makes me think Benning is shopping again.

Is that logical or just paranoia? There is a history here. Any time Utica gets something nice, it disappears in a flash. If it was going to Vancouver, that would be understandable. That's where every Utica fan wishes every Comet could end up. We know most won't, especially the ones JB assigns here after all is said and done.

I'm talking about actual Vancouver draft pick prospects, not those he stashes here to supplant the injuries in Vancouver.

Reid appears to be an exception to the rule. He's not a Vancouver draft. He's too far along in his career to be an actual prospect. He doesn't appear to be a call-up stash. What's left beyond trade bait? A player assigned to Utica for the sole purpose of aiding the Comets? The Comets have never had a player of his scoring prowess assigned here for that purpose. That's what makes me leery of Reid's continuing existence in Utica. An awful lot of teams could use that offensive skill set. Rumor has it that Benning is looking for a top 9 wing. Hasn't even tried Reid in that role.

Dah, dah, dah, da. Dah, dah, dah, da. B-r-r-r-e-e-ep. I see that sign post up ahead. Twilight Zone.

Last edited:

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
,,, I don't understand your point of not adding centres, T.J Hensick, Alex Friesen, Cal O'Reilly, Will Acton. All centres acquired or signed by Benning. ...

I could quibble with the rest of your post but this statement is the best example of how far offbase your thinking is, imo.

T.J. Hensick, a RW/C, was assigned to the Comets by Carolina late in the 2015-16 season, with the Canucks assigning center Blair Jones to the Checkers as the other side of the deal. Hensick played 19 regular season and 4 playoff games for the Comets, scoring at a reasonable pace for them, but wasn't given an extension and signed an AHL deal with the Ontario Reign that offseason. Surely you're not suggesting that the exchange of one AHL center for another AHL forward for a small part of a season, then letting the newly acquired player walk after 1/4 season, suggests that Benning is looking after the Comets center-ice situation.

Alex Friesen was drafted by the Canucks in 2010 and signed to his entry level contract in 2012. The only "signing" he did with Benning was a one year extension in 2015. He was never the playmaking center that the Comets have been missing.

Cal O'Reilly was a good Comets signing in 2013, half a year before Benning was hired by the Canucks. He was then signed to a one year contract in the summer of 2014. I don't think you'll find Bad Goalie making any complaints that the Canucks were ignoring the Comets' needs during the Lorne Henning era. The statements he makes about Benning not caring about the Comets come partly because Benning fired his guy in charge of the Comets, who was doing a good job-and then not paying any attention to the Comets after that. O'Reilly is an example that works against you. With Henning gone, Benning let O'Reilly walk as a free agent.

Will Acton was also acquired during the Henning era, then after a single season with Henning being fired, Acton also was sent packing as a free agent. Acton was a decent AHL player but not a playmaker-he tended to get as many goals as he did assists. Again, you've chosen a player that Henning acquired for a part of a season who was let go in the offseason with Henning fired.

Your choice of these four players as an example of Benning providing centers for Utica is probably as good an argument as it is possible to make in favour of Bad Goalie's position that Benning really doesn't care who is playing in Utica.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Bad goalie, I agree i have little hope if Benning is still in charge. Hopefully we have a new management, who realise that depth in Utica is good for prospect development. I think Dahlen is going to spend next year in North America and I don't think he will be NHL ready, so hopefully he is Utica bound, same with Joulevi.

Unfourtanatly with new management comes the more than likley move of the Canucks moving their AHL prospects west.......

Reactions: I in the Eye

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
Unfourtanatly with new management comes the more than likley move of the Canucks moving their AHL prospects west.......
I really hope not, Utica is good location for an AHL team, mostly short travel, which means more practice time which is essential.

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014

I believe another NHL team will place their AHL team in Utica when the Canucks leave. I hope I'm right, I have reason to believe another is coming.

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
I really hope not, Utica is good location for an AHL team, mostly short travel, which means more practice time which is essential.
We play all in conference games, the longest bus trip is 5 hours...if that. Many are within 150 miles. The only flight is an easy one to Charlotte once a year, already done.

Very attractive for NHL prospects.

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
I'm getting a real weird feeling about Boucher. The last time a Comet was close to leading the AHL in goals (Reid is #2) he got traded.

Based on the Canucks scoring needs and the fact that Boucher is still in Utica makes me think Benning is shopping again.

Is that logical or just paranoia? There is a history here. Any time Utica gets something nice, it disappears in a flash. If it was going to Vancouver, that would be understandable. That's where every Utica fan wishes every Comet could end up. We know most won't, especially the ones JB assigns here after all is said and done.

I'm talking about actual Vancouver draft pick prospects, not those he stashes here to supplant the injuries in Vancouver.

Reid appears to be an exception to the rule. He's not a Vancouver draft. He's too far along in his career to be an actual prospect. He doesn't appear to be a call-up stash. What's left beyond trade bait? A player assigned to Utica for the sole purpose of aiding the Comets? The Comets have never had a player of his scoring prowess assigned here for that purpose. That's what makes me leery of Reid's continuing existence in Utica. An awful lot of teams could use that offensive skill set. Rumor has it that Benning is looking for a top 9 wing. Hasn't even tried Reid in that role.

Dah, dah, dah, da. Dah, dah, dah, da. B-r-r-r-e-e-ep. I see that sign post up ahead. Twilight Zone.
Based on Benning history, your thought process is very logical.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
I believe another NHL team will place their AHL team in Utica when the Canucks leave. I hope I'm right, I have reason to believe another is coming.

The only real chance is the Rangers..... But with their affiliation fee being the highest in the league it's probably not gonna happen.....

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
The 3-4 solid AHL defensemen were Sifers, Wiercioch, Holm, and McEneny. That is a good top 4 for an AHL team. The Cs were supposed to be Chaput, Gaunce, Hamilton and Cassels to start the season, Goldobin, Rodin, Archibald, Boucher as a top 6. 4 veterans, including Hamilton who was the least valuable. Some left because of too many veterans aka Rodin, others got called up from injuries and then here we are. Goldobin, Chaput, Gaunce, are all called up and that is a big chunk of Utica's top 6. I don't understand your point of not adding centres, T.J Hensick, Alex Friesen, Cal O'Reilly, Will Acton. All centres acquired or signed by Benning. The problem Utica is having is that there isn't enough non-veteran quality players available for them. The best ones are in the NHL right now like Goldobin and Gaunce. They need to find a centre like Gaunce or Boucher, not a veteran and can produce in the AHL. I don't know who out there can do that. Chaput is a good one, but he's a veteran. 2 veteran C's will likely shrink your wings and D.

And now you're going to tell me that a problem like that won't exist with good drafting. The 2014 draft was actually a pretty good draft for Benning he had a lot of good picks like Forsling, Tryamkin, Demko. Unfortunately, he traded Forsling (who would have been in the NHL anyways), Tryamkin bolted to Russia, Demko is doing well though. McCann and Virtanen are two different stories, McCann is gone for Gudbranson, Virtanen is in the NHL. 2015 brought Boeser and Gaudette, but they are college players and usually start their pro career later (esp late picks like Gaudette). The late round picks in '14 and '15 just haven't turned out into anything.

Looking at Tampa Bay's AHL team, impressive team with a lot of talented players, but their 2015 3rd rounder and 2013 1st rounder are leading the team in scoring. Our 2013 1st rounder is a top 6 centre, and our 2015 3rd rounder doesn't compare to theirs, but our 5th rounder who may have a similar impact, is in college, in his JR year. After that, they have 2 veterans in top 6 soring and a 2011 pick. Is Utica really that far off when healthy? I say no.

Not comparing TB's drafting to ours at all because nobody has outdrafted TB since Yzerman joined them.

Let me address this one more time. My quibble has been that Benning does not care about stocking his farm because he does not assign any real serious prospects for development there in the first place. I listed the 4 actual prospects that Benning really saw as Canucks. 2 are there. One will be when either the Nilsson contract runs out or Benning trades one of his keepers to make room. I think that would be a mistake, but I have no say. The 4th may never actually get there. Go to the post if you can't remember who they are.

The rest are marginal players at best and isn't really expecting to put them on the roster anyways, but they help ice a team in Utica. He then acquires whatever seems to be left over after all the other teams who want top players have loaded up their AHL rosters. Then he sends the guys he wants back as soon as possible to Utica. That number has been minuscule to say the least, but Goldobin was the latest. GM Johnson said he was here to iron out a couple things and when he went back up, he didn't want to see him here again. That's not a player acquired for the farm.

You also mention Rodin. Benning had already written him off and hoped as a last gasp he might be able to find himself. Cull had every opportunity to insert him into game day lineups and did not. When he did Rodin didn't look all that. Duh! He hadn't actually played more than a handful of games in more than 2 years and was rehabbing major constructive knee surgery. Result? Rodin saw the writing on the wall as to where he fit into Vancouver's plans and asked out. Ask yourself what the feelings in Europe are about this management team after Tryamkin and Rodin walked out. Add to that Dahlen who spent a few days in Utica and then also took off back to Sweden. They are not the first ones with the European out clause either. Then you have a guy like Tommernes who asked out during the '14-15 season. Andersson, who was top 4 D, signed a contract to go back home before the season even ended and that doesn't count the long playoff run he was instrumental in. He never even condidered negotiating a RFA contract. Cederholm went back home after 2 seasons with a yerar still remaining on his ELC. He came back this season to rid himself of Vancouver (not that he'll be a big loss.

Archi is a given although being the Canucks very last cut following the year he put up in 2016-17 (Top point getter for the Comets and setting a single season record for Goals scored by a Comet probably earned him a t least a 2-way so he would be available for a call-up. You have to be honest and recognize he is better than some on that roster right now and actually before the injuries. His injury has really hurt the team.

Boucher I do believe was sent here because Benning no longer sees him in the future plans of Vancouver. His goal total right now backs me up, #2 in the AHL.

Your claim as to the center group is ridiculous. Gaunce was a Canuck until he played himself off the roster. The fact thta he is still in Vancouver and Boucher is down here says it all. He came to Utica on a conditioning stint and he's been in Vancouver since it ran out. He was never targeted for Utica by anyone but HF posters.

Cassels was flat out terrible last season and the one before. Anyone who believed he could be a good center for Utica was on some very good drugs.

Hamilton has one saving grace. he is good on faceoffs. He was used in that role in almost every crucial faceoff during the '15-16 layoff run and taht included almost every defensive zone faceoff and would be replaced as soon as the puck cleared the zone. Usually it was Conacher that would come on because his line was the main unit used for defensive zone faceoffs. After that he is only good as a 4th line center when he has 2 brilliantly effective forechecking wings, a la Bancks and Zalewski, so he can shadow the forecheck and pick up the pucks that squirt free of the battles or desperation passes from guys succumbing to the pressure. He hasn't had that luxury the past 2 seasons and thus is very ineffective leading to his becoming the team's #1 penalty taker. During his injury LaBate has become the new leader because he is being aligned against better skaters and he has to hook, trip, and slash to prevent their offense. This is exactly what happened to Wacey. So no he is not a solid AHL center in the lines of what the Comets are missing.

That leaves Chaput who is good choice, except not when he is the only play maker on the team to begin with, knowing you are probably going to have to call him up. There has to be someone competent enough as the #2 center who can pick up some of the slack when he's gone. That's management 101. That guy was not acquired last season when Chaput spent all but the 1st 10 games in Vancouver, nor this season when the Comets were left with Bancks (a checking wing), Darcy (a prayer making the roster who Is no where near a competent play making #1/2 center), Cassels, ECHL call-up Moynihan, ECHL loaner Brassart, and now Hamilton and Woods (AHL bottom 6er) both coming off injuries. That also includes the 2015-16 season when FRIESEN had to be used as the #1 center (the following year he signed with AHL Chicago on an AHL contract, put up 12 pts in 76 GP and is now in Europe). There are no play making centers in Utica once again. It took 21 games this year. The guys being used by the Comets would not be adequate AHL centers above the 4th line on any team in this league and that's why they are here. Bancks could play bottom six energy line for other teams.Maybe Darcy who was with Kalamazoo before making the Comets roster could catch with a couple teams, but he is not a prototypical bottom 6 player and not strong enough to fill a top 6 role, so it would have to be a team really in need of some experience. The rest belong in a 4th line role or the ECHL.

Tyhee explained completely where you have gone astray with Hensick, O'Reilly, Acton, and Friesen. I added a little more for you on him. Here's some more. He filled a good role for the Comets when he was used properly as a 3rd line center. His use as as a 2nd line center between Baertschi and Conacher was due to the lack of no one else and like Bancks between Goldobin and Boucher he picked up some points by getting them the puck and then hanging back to protect when they got caught turning it over and the other team got out trapping them behind.

Finally, let me address your "Top 4" D-men. Let me start by saying at best Wiercioch might be a top 2 D-man if paired with the the right top 2 partner. The other 3 are not.

In '13-14, the Comets didn't have a #1 D, a puck mover, strong defensively, with an offensive edge. They (Henning) picked up a veteran defensive gem in ex-NHL Stanley Cup winning Kent Huskins. He was the heart and sole of the Comets in their own end for 2 seasons including the '15-16 playoff run. He set the bar for how you should play in your own end and no Comet has come close to his on ice presence, his calm and coolheadedness under pressure, how to protect the front of your crease and play D away from the puck, thus the examples he set by how he played, his on ice instructions to his partner, and the info he shared with the kids on the bench and in practice. He was an on ice coach, a strong locker room presence, etc. If Benning thinks a player can mentor the kids, this guy was the example and he should want one like him in Utica every season. He was irreplaceable and it's shown since he retired. Nobody close has been a Comet since.

A tp 2 D-man has to have some basic qualities. He needs to be able to move the puck up ice quickly either by skating it out of trouble, making a quick accurate, tape to tape breakout pas anywhere from 10-20 feet all the way to the long stretch pass, or if all else fails simply get it out of the zone without icing it and live to fight another day. Being able to carry the puck up ice leading the rush or quiclkly joining the rush after the break out pass is also a common trait. Defensively he is lights out 1 0n 1, doesn't get walked, wins the majority of his puck battles, doesn't wilt under pressure and can continue to work the puck along the boards until a mate becomes available to help or he can personally boost the puck from danger. In front he can tie up defenders if he can't deny them the puck to begin with and is very aware of the correct positioning away from the puck to prevent the naked back door forward or the off side D-man streaking in from the point collecting easy back side tap ins. We do not have one of those guys on this roster.

The fact is that every single D-man that has played a game here has been weak vs a strong forecheck. That just can't be as it a fundamental need of any D-man to withstand that kind of pressure. They are also weak vs a strong offesnive presence in front. They ahve all forgotten men on the back door and the opposition has scored quite easily in those situations. They have also lost their position and allowed players to receive clean passes in both the high and low slot or right in the crease. Many goals have been scored in just these circumstances. Thye have also been guilty of puck watching when the Offense has gained possession an nd moved the puck rapidly around the perimeter until one of them just steps into the open for a pass and shot or the worst , one of those guys just takes the puck unchallenged right to the net for a great chance , but often a goal. That strong guy dominating space in front of the net has been responsible for several tip in goals or massive screens that also end up in the net. This D corps has been very ugly on many occasions and complete chaos is often the result of strong offensive forecheck that turns into heavy offensive pressure sometimes resembling a shooting gallery. None of the Comets inn these situations is able to even touch the puck and if they do are totally inept in their panic to clear the zone and it just starts up all over again.

Holm is a 26 yr-old 6th yr pro. He spent his 21 and 22 yr-old seasons in nthe Swedish minors. That is not a good sign right off the bat. He then graduated to the SHL for the next 3 seasons. His pt totals were very impressive. Let's assume he was a Candian Jr for 3 seasons and then went to the AHL for the next 2. 13, 7, 9, and finally 21 in full seasons of play. This was not a highly sought after Swedish pro. Highly sought after Swedes are not 26. He had settled into a decnt role with the Comets, but I would call him a 3'4 guy after watching him until he was hurt. He can get the puck up ice and passes well as long as he isn't under duress. Very weak in front, a stick checker, little body work. His point total is misleading. In many instances he has stood in the middle of the blue line, taken wide open passes from forwards, and then simply moved it unchallenged to the half boards where either Goldobin or Boucher did the work to produce a goal upon which he picked up the 3rd point.

Sifers is a 34-yr old vet who is losing his legs. He is a defensive specialist whose best days were 2008-09 and 2009-10 when he got 37 total games in the NHL with 2 teams, Leafs (23) and Wild (14). He is a great #5 to help ease the two rookies into the pro game. The Comets were so ill equipped and over laden with vets that the kids were automatic starters. As the injuries have taken place they are moving up the chain whether they are actually ready for that load or not. Wiercioch has been getting 30 minutes a game and has been on the ice for a load of goals paired with Brisebois, Chatfield, Cederholm, Stewart, and Sautner. It doesn't matter his partner though his most common partner is Cahtfield.

McEneny is the guy I feel sorriest for. He had become a solid 3-4 D-man and had been coming on strong at the end of last seson. he seemed to regress alittle, but was paired with his most common partner last season in Subban. Now he's gone for the season.

Holm is a who knows with a concussion and Sifers is casted with a broken wrist.

The D is a catastrophe out of anyone's hands, but hs is the time astute GMs (AHL and NHL) find a guy still sitting on the outside or playing with another team on an PTO like Robak was last year.

Let me just say the Robak, Fedun, Sanguinetti and Biega are top 4 before any of the guys you named. Benning stopped looking for one of those after the 15-16 season when Fedun was here.

I have nothing more to say on this and will agree to disagree if you want to take it further.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Forwards:
Hamilton/Cassels/Carcone
Megna/Darcy/Boucher
Molino/Bancks/MacEwen
LaBate/Woods/D'Aoust

D-Pairs:
Weircioch/Chatfield
Sautner/Brisebois
Cederholm/Watson

Goal - Demko

Scratches:
Injured -
Archibald
Laplante
McEneny
Sifers
Holm

Healthy -
Brassart
Stewart
Bachman

Carcone (3) from Hamilton (4) and Cassels (2)

score after the 1st period;

Utica 1 Rochester 1

SOG:
Comets 8
Amerks 12

Rochester held a 10 -2 shot advantage not even half way into the period.
Utica scored on its 1st shot.
Rochester tied it at 17:33 of the period.

NO penalties.

Last edited:

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Here we go for the 2nd.

Some pressure from the Cassels line.

Molino turnover/ Demko save

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Forwards:
Hamilton/Cassels/Carcone
Megna/Darcy/Boucher
Molino/Bancks/MacEwen
LaBate/Woods/D'Aoust

D-Pairs:
Weircioch/Chatfield
Sautner/Brisebois
Cederholm/Watson

Goal - Demko

Scratches:
Injured -
Archibald
Laplante
McEneny
Sifers
Holm

Healthy -
Brassart
Stewart
Bachman

Carcone (3) from Hamilton (4) and Cassels (2)

score after the 1st period;

Utica 1 Rochester 1

SOG:
Comets 8
Amerks 12

Rochester held a 10 -2 shot advantage not even half way into the period.
Utica scored on its 1st shot.
Rochester tied it at 17:33 of the period.

NO penalties.
Rough line up. Does not look as good as pre season line up we were hoping for. Injuries trades going back to Europe have really hurt Utica's team. Too bad. Hope some players come back and maybe Dahlen comes over.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Demko with a turnover and out of the net but survived.

Rochester scores: 2-1 Amerks. Percy with the goal.
Former Maple Leaf selection. released by the Leafs after his ELC.
Signed by Pittsburgh for 1 yr and played for W-B/ Scranton.Released at the end of the season.
Signed with the Rochester Americans. 15pts in 20 GP.
Not a veteran.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Rough line up. Does not look as good as pre season line up we were hoping for. Injuries trades going back to Europe have really hurt Utica's team. Too bad. Hope some players come back and maybe Dahlen comes over.

We don't "hope". It's too hard on one's psyche. We wait and see while expecting nothing.

We support whoever is here. No player has ever personally been booed here and with play the likes of Sauve and Stewart that's sometimes hard not to do.

That doesn't mean we don't call a spade a spade when evaluating their play on line. We also have no reservations in questioning the management of the team.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
The only line that seems to be dangerous tonight is Hamilton/Cassels/Carcone. Either an epiphany has occurred among that trio or the Amerks put their least effective trio and D-pair against them figuring it would be to their advantage. I'll leave that up to anyone else to decide.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
3:00 to go and it's still only 2-1.

Darcy a good chance cutting in to the net and Ullmark makes the stop.

Demko a good stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad