The Utica Comets Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Thanks guys for the replies!

Also, how is Cull doing? Are they really playing the same system as Green? I infer from some of the comments that either they are not or he isn't as effective getting them to stick to it.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Perhaps communicating management's goals for young players to aid in their development, the primary reason for the Utica Comets to exist.
If the Canucks wanted to "aid in the development of their young players" the should have signed some centers at some point over the last 3 seasons......

Ryan Miller*

Jan 13, 2017
If the Canucks wanted to "aid in the development of their young players" the should have signed some centers at some point over the last 3 seasons......
I haven't watched enough of the Comets to really speak much here, but some of the Comets fans in here are difficult to take serious because they talk about a .500 team as if it is in a state of perpetual apocalypse.

I dunno if I completely buy the idea that development just comes down to making the best Comets team possible. How does acquiring a veteran centre, further pushing down players like Chaput and Megna, aid in the development of players like Goldobin or Demko or Brisebois? For example, Goldobin can play offence just fine; it's puck retrieval that he needs to work on. I don't see how getting a skilled centre automatically improves the development of Goldobin, beyond giving him some extra tap-in goals to pad the stats.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
umm, the comets are most definitely in a perpetual state of apocalypse. right now is a good example. they have 9 starters out injured, including their best upside potential dman (announced today as out for 6 months) and their veteran ahl forward and dman.

they've also lost their top scorer to promotion.

plus it's tough to even find ptos. it's christmas season, so they have to compete head to head with all the ice capades shows looking for extras.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
I haven't watched enough of the Comets to really speak much here, but some of the Comets fans in here are difficult to take serious because they talk about a .500 team as if it is in a state of perpetual apocalypse.

I dunno if I completely buy the idea that development just comes down to making the best Comets team possible. How does acquiring a veteran centre, further pushing down players like Chaput and Megna, aid in the development of players like Goldobin or Demko or Brisebois? For example, Goldobin can play offence just fine; it's puck retrieval that he needs to work on. I don't see how getting a skilled centre automatically improves the development of Goldobin, beyond giving him some extra tap-in goals to pad the stats.

Megna is not a center, Chaput, and luckily Cam Darcy has now slotted into the 2nd line center spot. Bancks and the hapless Cole Cassels finish out the bottom two lines.

The team definitely turned a corner a couple weeks ago and looks too have gelled despite all the Injuries to the surprise of everyone!!

That however does not excuse the Canucks from stocking their ahl squad with proper Playmaking centers which the comets had zero of the past two seasons.

Some of the youngsters continue to Excell and improve. Darcy, Macewen, Chatfield, Brisbrois, D'Aoust even Cederholm has fit right in. Ashton Sautner and Holm have been solid.

Now we just have to see if it continues or they revert to their previous inept play.

Cull has them playing a similar style but not as much of a trap system as green. The biggest difference is having someone like Boucher or Goldobin that can strike quickly with a goal Instead of the previous pop gun offence that scored once every 30-40 shots.

Last edited:
Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010

That's why I find it useful this year that 'nucks army actually are doing summary. Instead of coming to the boards for games I missed, I just checked the summary there. It seems less "doom and gloom" than some Comets fans here and of course less demanding that 'nucks invest a lot more into the AHL farm team. To be fair, you generally see the same thing from a lot of minor league teams (not just NHL, but MLB as well) to invest more and more into their franchse.

I also agree and made this case before my vacation on how winning isn't always the most important factor in terms of development and with examples of how successful franchises sometime actually have bad AHL teams. The ones that have good AHL teams generally aren't successful franchises but actually teams with AHL owners and NOT owned by a NHL team. Those teams generally focus more on winning vs development and if you're a 'nucks fan for a while, you probably seen 2 of them. Chicago being a complete failure in terms of development and the Moose having mixed success.

Based on most accounts, Bouchers seems to be developing his 2 way game and that's probably more important from a 'nucks prospective than Utica winning/losing. Goldobin looks better in a very small sample size than he did last year... another good sign in terms of development. Holm is leading the team in scoring (D) and by most account seems like he's the team's best D (partly probably due to everyone being hurt...). Those are all good developments.

Chaput also seems to be doing acceptable work as a first line C. He's good defensively as stated many times and plays good D even at the NHL level (as in his PK corsi/defensive corsi from last year both looked good, eye test defensively was good as well). Scoring/production, he has 15 points in 20 games, good enough to be in the top 60 (forwards) scoring. Basically he's a AHL 1C... might not be the best 1C but he would be the #1 C on most AHL teams due to both offensive production and responsible/good defensive play. He also fits the Comets style of play well (probably better than someone like Valk).

Speaking of Valk, he was with the Comets last year and is a playmaking center so its not like the Comets haven't had good play making centers. Sometime the results or lack of results has more to do with style of play vs player. Both Grenier and Valk are having career AHL years after moving on to SPR. I'm guessing they play together (tho that's just a wild guess) but they have 22 points in 25 games and 20 points in 22 games respectively... good for 12/19th in AHL scoring (again among forwards). Basically 2 players who scored at ~.5PPG pace in Comets system scoring close to a PPG pace so far this year (and they played together a decent amount last year). That's why despite Chaput not being an "elite" playmaker, he might actually be a better fit for Comets system as a 1C than a playmaking C like Valk (who would be one of the best AHL playmakers that changed teams/not a prospect/not a vet).

Summary if you think its easy to find an upgrade from Chaput as 1C or even a better playmaker, it actually isn't all that easy and most who produced better than Chaput are likely high end prospects OR defensive liabilities (like Valk). There might be a few but honestly Comet fans should be satisfy with Chaput as their 1C because i'm sure quite a few other teams would love having him as their #1 C. On top of that Dahlen has an out clause coming up soon. Although we have no idea if its SHL or AHL, there is a chance (at least) of him being in Utica this year... he would basically be a high end playmaking C (or winger) for the Comets.

Basically like I predicted before the season started/after Vancouver cuts, Goldobin and Boucher are producing near PPG pace and Chaput is better than the .6-.7 PPG I was predicting (tho that could drop). The top line isn't an issue and Goldobin isn't likely to stay in Vancouver long. He probably will head down in a week or so (Sutter out for at least another week) unless another injury happens to a 'nuck forward.

Of course I've been completely wrong about Carcone/Molino... expected both to play a bigger part for the Comets but they seem to be stuck on the bottom 6 despite all the injuries. The fact Rodin also cut ties with the team doesn't help in terms of depth (on top of all the injuries). Comets need depth but its hard to find at this point and 'nucks management can't really be blamed for 9 injuries (and most on D too).

Archibald would likely be a staple in the top 6 and was the scoring leader last year so his injury really hurt the forward group. Hamilton was an extra in my books but his injury doesn't help the C depth chart much (which at this point is an issue because Megna isn't really being used as a C). Megna hasn't been great but if you look closely, he has 9 points in 15 games or exactly .6 PPG... basically the type of production you expect from a 2nd/3rd line player (and thas exactly what Megna is). MacEwen has surprisingly (at least to me) also produced at pretty much that rate (9/16 or .56PPG).

As a group Utica scoring really hasn't been a huge issue. Last year they scored 195 goals, this year they are on pace to scoring 224 goals and despite all the injuries to their back end, they are on pace to allow almost the same amount of goals as last year (232 vs 220). And this is despite Bachman having a 3.64GGA, 86% SV (both of which likely to get better... otherwise Garteig will get the backup job before the year is over... tho Garteig really isn't getting much playing time but that's another topic). Demko has been great and probably expected to be great. His number are probably where you expect them (maybe a bit better but they got inflated due to a few bad games). His worst game was one he wasn't suppose to start (7 goal game) but only started due to Bachman being hurt (or I think Cull said something like that).

Basically at this point, its probably good that the Comets are .500... probably better than anyone could've expected due to:
1) Injuries
2) Comets history as slow starters
3) New Coach

Odds are the Comets will probably be better in the 2nd half (after everyone recovers) so as long as they stay ~.500 for the rest of the first half, that's a pretty successful half.

The comets could benefit from a 2C but that's something that's more likely to be address around the trade deadline via rental (when other teams give up) vs right now. Who knows, by then Darcy could've earned that spot anyways just like he earned an AHL contract. Also it seems like Comets are more active recently with PTO than last year... that's a good sign that they aren't actually being ignored like last year.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Chaput is without a doubt the best center the comets have had since O'Reilly. Valk was here last year, but filled the #1 center roll and I agree that Greens defence first coaching style held back several players.

Megna play has improved greatly in the past two weeks, he was in a checking roll last season and it takes an adjustment period to get offence going again.

Team should be ok going forward, but they need bodies to get healthy fast.

Rodin was never a factor here and him leaving had no affect on the team, Molino and Carcone will find themselves on the sidelines if they do not start producing... Cassels as well.......

A callup of weicoch or a lengthy Holm injury would cause Hugh problems. It's no coincidence that the team turned around when weircoch got sent back down.......

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Megna is not a center, Chaput, and luckily Cam Darcy has now slotted into the 2nd line center spot. Bancks and the hapless Cole Cassels finish out the bottom two lines.

The team definitely turned a corner a couple weeks ago and looks too have gelled despite all the Injuries to the surprise of everyone!!

That however does not excuse the Canucks from stocking their ahl squad with proper Playmaking centers which the comets had zero of the past two seasons.

Some of the youngsters continue to Excell and improve. Darcy, Macewen, Chatfield, Brisbrois, D'Aoust even Cederholm has fit right in. Ashton Sautner and Holm have been solid.

Now we just have to see if it continues or they revert to their previous inept play.

Cull has them playing a similar style but not as much of a trap system as green. The biggest difference is having someone like Boucher or Goldobin that can strike quickly with a goal Instead of the previous pop gun offence that scored once every 30-40 shots.

I think there is a simple explanation to Benning's lack of interest in doing anything helpful for Utica. Since their inception has there actually been anyone assigned to Utica when camp broke that Benning was personally interested in having in a Canucks uniform?

I would argue Demko is the only one and he drafted him.

I might have said Markstrom, but he had never shown anyone he was actually an NHL goalie. Gillis brought him in and Benning needed veteran presence between the pipes in Utica since Eriksson had not set the hockey world on fire. So he was sent down and Markstrom shocked the world with his play and looked to be a decent backup for his actual #1 choice in Miller.

No forward in Utica ever met the description of a player Benning wanted in Vancouver. He drafted (Virtanen, McCann, Boeser, or traded for every forward that he wanted Vey, Baerstchi, Granlund, and Etem and got them to Vancouver from the get go or as soon as possible. He picked up the rest as UFAs. He's traded away those decent Comets he inherited or simply released them because they were not Canucks in his mind anyways. There is no one on the current Comets roster that Benning sees as a Canuck in the near future.

Chaput and Megna are not prospects.

He did nothing to enhance Rodin's chances and didn't have any plans to do such. If Anton had found his way back it would have been just fine, but he isn't losing any sleep over losing Rodin. Who?

He's moved on from Boucher.

Goldobin was sent here to work on a couple of things Travis wanted him to incorporate into his game. No coasting/drifting. Forecheck. Backcheck and play defense in his own end. He's a Benning acquisition, a developing player who has already put in his first pro seasons and Jim saw him a NHL ready. This type of acquisition has always been given time in Vancouver to prove Jim right.

Joe LaBate has had some chances and hasn't impressed Jim. Not his selection anyways.

Cassels was a shot, but has gone belly up and Jim doesn't care. He's not going to be a center in Vancouver anyways based on the present and the pipeline.

Archibald, Bancks, and Hamilton were never in his plans and are thus on AHL contracts not Vancouver.

Newcomers Darcy and Woods are also who cares AHL signings. Moynihan is another AHL contract.

Griffen Molino, Zack MacEwen, Michael Carcone, and Jalen Chatfield are players the Canucks extended ELC contracts, but did not draft. No extra effort will be exerted from on high to expedite their development. It's a case of, "You have a chance and if you can make the best of it good for you. If not, no sweat here we didn't lose anything anyways."

Alexis D'Aoust impressed enough to get an invite to the young prospects camp where he impressed enough for a Vancouver camp invite. Not good enough to get a contract from Jim. He was signed to an AHL contract and that usually means an up/down season with ECHL-Utica. The vet overload situation made it possible for guys who would likely have been sent down or been reserves seeing little action to get game time early. Then with injuries, call-ups, and Rodin's release Alexis has ended up being one of only 3 comets to have played in every game (21) thus far. He has done his best and chipped in 3 goals and 8pts. Not knock your socks off numbers, but decent for his incoming status. Definitely not Vancouver Canucks to be at the moment, but he's playing well enough to get a return call next season if he keeps it up. He could put up a 10 goal-30 point rookie season which is not bad for a kid in his 1st pro season, undrafted, and no NHL contract.

With what's going on in Vancouver, I don't see any one of these guys displacing a current Canuck nor one of the much higher regarded guys in the pipeline.

Evan McEneny was progressing well and had every indication of becoming a very good AHL defender with the ability to do a short stand-in in Vancouver, but his season ending knee injury has put that whole idea in jeopardy. Jim will have to make a decision on whether to even offer him an contract as an RFA. I think and hope that he will.

Benning obviously has no plans for Subban period. Why do I say that? He was an AHL All-Star last season playing behind scoring forwards and quarterbacking the PP. This season he was a healthy scratch 4 times between games 6 and game 12. It would likely have continued had the Comets not run into player shortages due to injury and player call-ups. He also has received far less PP time with Holm and Wiercioch both used as the 1st unit PP QB ahead of him. He gets 2nd unit time and very often that's with a regular line and another D-man on his opposite side, not in the normal 1-3-1 PP formation with the second group of the best PP forwards. He was injured last Friday and we haven't been informed of his status. It doesn't even appear that Benning is looking to try and shop him for something like a prospect center in a similar situation. If he was, the kid would have been getting the opportunity to put up points and look desirable. Who will want to trade for a known weak defender, who has a proven offensive history in his first 2 seasons but has currently fell off the earth with 0 goals and 5 assists? Another guy Benning has totally passed on.

Sautner will not displace any Vancouver defender nor will he get an injury call-up. That's why Wiercioch and Holm were acquired. Make the Canucks and if not, play for the Comets and get the call if the Canucks need help.

Like I said. "Nothing to see here. Move along."

Demko is it. He is the true high expectation prospect.

Biega (2013-14, 2014-15 Comets, 2015-16 forged his way on to the Canucks roster) was not a Vancouver draft pick nor a Benning acquisition. He made it onto the Canucks roster in spite of Benning plans. He was a journeyman AHL player who when called up to fill in during an extreme injury situation forced his way onto the roster and has been impossible to get rid of even when it has looked like he would be the next man out many times. He is perfect for the role he plays.

Gaunce (2014-15, 2014-15 Comets) is there by process of elimination. Another non Benning acquisition. He's the best of the least. He can fill a role at center or the wing, but is not likely to be a fixture on the final rebuilt/retooled/ restructured (whatever the Hell Benning will finally call it) roster.

Markstrom (2014-15 Comets) is trying to become a #1 only because Miller shunned another Benning offer to go to California where he had been striving to go since his wedding day. Benning is biding time until he can insert his pick into the #1 slot, Demko.

Baertschi was a Benning reclamation project handed to Green to resurrect. He played 15 regular season games for Utica, but was papered for the AHL playoffs if the Canucks were out. He was a very helpful piece in the Comets' playoff run, but he was not acquired for that purpose. Cory Conacher would fit that description.

Jake was a mistake who should be on the list with Gaunce as the only Comets to begin their pro careers in Utica and developed into Vancouver Canucks. It didn't work out that way since Benning tried to make him into an NHL player the likes of his draft mates Nylander, Ehlers, etc. He wasn't ready, but lasted the season and shortly into his second season was sent to Utica where his numbers spelled bust, but his saving grace was Travis Green was named head coach and he was able to keep Jake playing the way he had by the end of his stay in Utica and he made the Canucks, but is following the same scoring pace - not much.

That's 5 years counting this one. 2 actual Vancouver draft picks have made it to Vancouver and are on the roster.

2 others acquired by Gillis have made it there as well, but I refuse to call those two prospects. One was sent to Utica where he became the league's best goalie in his 5th proseason on his 4th pro team and earned a backup spot in Vancouver and the rest is history. The other was never even expected to see a game in Vancouver. He had been named the Comets Captain in his 6th pro season and that was the role he was supposed to fill for the Canucks. He exercised a different plan when a shot in the dark became available.

So in those 5 years 4 players earned their way out of Utica onto the Vancouver roster. The thing they all have in common is they all played on Utica's 2014-15 Calder Cup runner-up team under the Vancouver assigned GM? Lorne Henning. That team is the only one that provided prospects with the players that fit all the roles a winning team requires. Play making centers, a strong D supported by 2 strong veterans, one a defensive stalwart and the other a #1 puck moving offensive D-man, rookies paired up with good linemates, returning prospects in key roles, a top goalie, key role players comprising the league's best energy/checking line, penalty killers, 2 decent PP units, and key in season additions to fill in positions of need.

That's what we have seen in Utica in the way of prospects that went to Vancouver. We had some almost, but no cigars.

A handful of guys who were traded or left as free agents have played some NHL games:

Frank Corrado - Lost on waivers to Toronto has played 46 NHL games with Toronto and Pittsburgh and is now in AHL Wilkes-Barre/Scranton.
Hunter Shinkaruk was traded and has played 14 NHL games with Calgary and is in AHL Stockton.
Nicklas Jensen was traded and has played 7 NHL games with the Rangers and is now in Europe.
Adam Clendening was traded and has played 65 NHL games with Pittsburgh, Edmonton, NY Rangers, and Arizona Coyotes and is in AHL Tuscon.
Cal O'reilly was a key #1 center and left as a free agent after 2014-15 and has played 32 NHL games with Buffalo and Minnesota and is currently in AHL Iowa.
Taylor Fedun left as a free agent and has played 34 NHL games with Buffalo and is currently with the Sabres on injured reserve.
Cory Conacher acquired in 2015 to help the Comets make a playoff run left immediately thereafter as a free agent and has played 13 NHL games and is currently in Tampa Bay.

ihaveyuidonttouchme

MrShiftbyShiftGuy
Feb 21, 2009
Vancouver
www.youtube.com
BG im pretty sure u've also noticed this but since the JB came in, he signed literally zero drafted forwards and who has seen an extended pro time. i understand 4-7th round picks are crap shoots that shouldnt expect much but seriously, not a single one. well i guess except mackenzie stewart? yikes
Gaudette is expected to be on fast track to NHL
Brett McKenzie most likely as a pro contract but ECHL bound imo depending on the depth next yr which sounds depressing
that's pretty much only potentials for next saeson in my view

Ryan Miller*

Jan 13, 2017
No chance we bring Palmu back to North America?

Hopefully our Benning-restructured scouting staff starts taking a better approach to rounds 6-7. Palmu is hopefully evidence of a change in philosophy.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
BG im pretty sure u've also noticed this but since the JB came in, he signed literally zero drafted forwards and who has seen an extended pro time. i understand 4-7th round picks are crap shoots that shouldnt expect much but seriously, not a single one. well i guess except mackenzie stewart? yikes
Brett McKenzie most likely as a pro contract but ECHL bound imo depending on the depth next yr which sounds depressing

post not intended to respond here.

Last edited:

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Chaput is without a doubt the best center the comets have had since O'Reilly. Valk was here last year, but filled the #1 center roll and I agree that Greens defence first coaching style held back several players.

Megna play has improved greatly in the past two weeks, he was in a checking roll last season and it takes an adjustment period to get offence going again.

Team should be ok going forward, but they need bodies to get healthy fast.

Rodin was never a factor here and him leaving had no affect on the team, Molino and Carcone will find themselves on the sidelines if they do not start producing... Cassels as well.......

A callup of weicoch or a lengthy Holm injury would cause Hugh problems. It's no coincidence that the team turned around when weircoch got sent back down.......

Gudbranson is still out another week so we are one D injury away from another call up. But i got a feeling that callup might not be Weircoich... he has somewhere between 3-5 days (roughly, didnt keep track if the team did any demotions) in his waiver clock. Given all the injuries on D for both canucks and comets, its probably not ideal to waive anyone. Of course that makes things interesting depending on how long Holm or Subban are out. Could Sautner actually be called up for a game or two (as the extra)? Or would Benning actually be willing to risk waiving Wiercoich? For both 'nucks/comets sake, lets hope no one (specifically D) gets hurt tomorrow...

Rodin really never got much of an opportunity due to vet rule, health, etc. Considering he was a SHL MVP, he probably could have contributed... of course its a what if, could have, etc. If he stayed a bit longer, he probably would have gotten a top 6 opportunity after all the injuries. He has 4 points in 3 game since leaving so if nothing else, he probably is better than whoever has his spot now. After all the vet issue is a non-issue now (tho i guess it would've been an issue again after Hamilton returns... which seems like next game).

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

No, Gadjovich, Lind, and Palmu will be eligible for the AHL. Doesn't mean they will be assigned here, but they are eligible.

Stewart is here because he was assigned to the Zoo and the Comets flat out ran out of D-men and they released their recent PTO signing, Faust, who had played 2 games the week before, so they called up Stewart. If Green was here, Stewart would never have been in a Comets jersey. He had seen enough if him to know better.

Haven't you heard? The Comets have a GM now. Ryan Johnson, the finest up and coming member of the Vancouver management team. He has to be considered responsible for all of Utica's replacements as that would be the main part of his job.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
No chance we bring Palmu back to North America?

Hopefully our Benning-restructured scouting staff starts taking a better approach to rounds 6-7. Palmu is hopefully evidence of a change in philosophy.

Palmu actually signed with TPS before he was drafted and since Juolevi is there, its unlikely Palmu will be bought back this year (don't think he has an in-season out clause in his contract like Dahlen). He could be in the AHL next year or stay in TPS... remember the AHL team next year will get quite a few forwards next year.

Both Lind and Gadjovich can play in the AHL next year. If AG/Pettersson both come over and somehow make the 'nucks next season, its likely those 2 would be in the AHL. After all, can you really imagine 'nucks having 4 rookie forwards next season? Stukel is a borderline forward who the team needs to make a decision on (tho more likely borderline AHL vs decent prospect). Interesting note, Candella might be earning himself a contract with his play this year (tho D not forward). All of these players could possibly play for the Comets this season if their season ends early (but not till March, probably April) except for Gaudette.

It does look like there's a change in philosophy this year or an increased used of analytics based on the players we drafted with Palmu and Lind as prime examples. Even Brassard can play in the AHL next year (tho not following the Generals so no idea how he's doing).

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
So is he a good cook?? Good with stocks?? Rising talent at what?????? Whatever this guy is supposed to be good at, I haven't seen it yet......

I have no idea. I'm just telling you guys the word coming out of Vancouver (media) to rebut the idea that he is merely some fall guy that Benning installed.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010

Lets take a look @ his 4-7th round picks first...

#4 No pick
#5 Forsling - Good pick except he traded him away (in retrospect horrible trade but thats another topic)
#6 Pettit - pick that didn't really develop, good thing he wasn't signed
#7 Uhhh... lets not mention him... he better NOT be resigned

#4 Zhukenov - We still have his rights for 1.5 years and considering his lack of playing time in KHL (actually playing in the MHL more than KHL), he might be coming back next year (tho who knows)... overall he isn't a bad pick but holds the KHL risk like most Russian players but can't blame Benning for picking him
#5 Carl Neill - Honestly thought we would sign him, he seems like a decent offensive puck moving D... if nothing else we could use the depth but given the team's contract situation (aka lack of contract spot), probably could make a case not signing him if the plan was to start him in the ECHL (remember we actually had a full line-up of D before all these injuries)
#5 Gaudette - Probably Bennings biggest steal
#6 Jasek - 'nucks were trying to sign him before (reportedly) but didn't for whatever reason, still hold his rights for another 1.5 years tho
#7 Olson - Same as Neill... guess Benning like Chatfield more than both and based on play this year, he's wrong about that decision

#4 No pick
#5 Candella, based on stats, he's making a decent case for a contract
#6 Stukel - borderline AHLer probably... making a case for a contract
#7 Abols - fail pick
#7 McKenzie - again borderline

Basically Benning really only had 7 possible drafted (4th - 7th round) players he could've signed... he signed 1 of them and that failed. Out of the other 7, 2 of the D he decided to not sign and picked up Chatfield instead (probably a good call). He also picked up MacEwen, who's probably a better signing than say Pettit (or any forward not named Gaudette in that group including the 2 possibilities this year who could've played for the comets this year). Zhukenov and Jasek also could still be signed so its really 1/5.

If you want to include this year, no idea what Gunnarsson's contract status is but since he's playing in the SHL and we hold his rights for 4 years... might not really be in a huge hurry to bring him over. I do expect him to be signed tho (since you really wouldn't draft a 20 year old unless you plan on signing them...). Palmu should be over after his season in the TPS (tho its a 2 year deal). Brassard = who knows...

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
I have no idea. I'm just telling you guys the word coming out of Vancouver (media) to rebut the idea that he is merely some fall guy that Benning installed.

The idea was rebuild and he was really bad at that for a while but his drafting actually hasn't been bad and his trading has improved. I'm still on the "fire benning side" but not as far into it as i once was.

After all, Pettersson is now leading the SHL in scoring... thats something unheard of for a 19 year old. Boeser looks like the favorite to win rookie of the year. Gaudette looks like one of the best centers in the NCAA right now. Lockwood has looked good for a 2nd year player as well. Juolevi has looked pretty good for TPS lately based on reports (not following finnish hockey nor any idea how lol). Lind and Gadjovich both look like good prospect, scoring well over PPG in the CHL (tho Lind isn't scoring @ 2PPG anymore lol). Basically 'nucks actually have some solid prospects for once (not all that common tho the team has been good for a long time due to the Sedins). Not even accounting for Dahlen who should be headed to the SHL or AHL in a month or Goldobin/Virtanen... both having solid years and improving.

This is probably the best group of forward prospects we ever had (at least that i know of) so if nothing else, Benning has stocked the farm team. The NHL team is actually watchable this season too (compared to last year... which was a joke).

I mean even Utica has/had 2 PPG players (even if its only 1/4 the season). I believe thats the first time for the Comets (at least statistically, only 2 players in Comets history has scored over 60 points and they were in different seasons) and either Boucher or Goldobin will likely shatter Comet's single season scoring records. Boucher is already 1/2 way towards Archibalds goal record last year and pending injury/call-up.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Thank God Stewart will not need to dress..........

These 2 additions, barring the return of any of the injured still leaves the Comets with just 1 extra forward, either Moynihan who has not impressed anyone in 2 GP or the new guy Brady Brassart (a full season with AHL Iowa, a second half season with the Wild and then ECHL for 2 different teams), and 1 extra D-man, and that's either Stewart or the new guy, Cliff Watson (4 yrs at Michigan Tech, drafted#6 by the Sharks in '12, and assigned to the ECHL Utah Grizzlies in his first pro season. Apparently the Sharks were not impressed).

Looks like Mr. Johnson is learning quickly how difficult it is to find AHL level talent in the ECHL. His release of all of them since training camp with the exception of Cam Darcy and the failure of the call-ups from Kalamazoo to impress is showing the degree of difficulty he is facing.

Finally announced the loss of McEneny for what looks to be the season. Another glitch in the plans. The rising management star needs to get some serious work done and I don't envy his task.

Last edited:

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

Benning: you want to develop your kids in a winning environment. The experience of playing in a Game 7 … you can’t make a mistake defensively or it ends up costing you the game.

Q So your ideals about bringing young players into a winning NHL environment and making them earn their ice time also applies at the AHL level?

Benning: That has to be our standard at all of our levels. That’s the culture we want to set up. The players learn to play the right way (in Utica). There are no shortcuts.

Benning: That was an invaluable learning experience last night for the young guys playing in Game 7.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
Benning: you want to develop your kids in a winning environment. The experience of playing in a Game 7 … you can’t make a mistake defensively or it ends up costing you the game.

Q So your ideals about bringing young players into a winning NHL environment and making them earn their ice time also applies at the AHL level?

Benning: That has to be our standard at all of our levels. That’s the culture we want to set up. The players learn to play the right way (in Utica). There are no shortcuts.

Benning: That was an invaluable learning experience last night for the young guys playing in Game 7.

Yes those were Benning's comments in 2015 when the Comets went to the Calder Cup Finals. Then he promptly fired Henning and Gilman immediately after.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
No, Gadjovich, Lind, and Palmu will be eligible for the AHL. Doesn't mean they will be assigned here, but they are eligible.

Gadjovich and Lind will unequivocally be on the Comets' roster last year unless they surprise and make the NHL team (which would be extremely unlikely in both cases).

2nd round picks playing their overage years in junior is basically unheard-of unless the player's development is cratering and he won't be given a pro contract ... which isn't the case here.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Gadjovich and Lind will unequivocally be on the Comets' roster last year unless they surprise and make the NHL team (which would be extremely unlikely in both cases).

2nd round picks playing their overage years in junior is basically unheard-of unless the player's development is cratering and he won't be given a pro contract ... which isn't the case here.

I read on one of the threads here that Palmu (maybe Palmu's page) is very eager to play in North America and actually was hoping to do such this season. Have you heard anything along those lines with a little more fact base behind it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->