The Utica Comets Thread | Part 41

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
There is 7 D in Vancouver so no real need to call up Wiercioch unless someone else gets hurt or Pouliot struggles (hasn't so far). After all it makes more sense to keep his 10g/30d timer maxed until we actually need him. If someone can't go last minute, Biega can slot in and probably should slot in for 1 of the next 3 games (3 in 4 nights).

Need I say I called this again? In spite of your opinion that there is no need to call up Wiercioch, upon which I would agree, he has been recalled today (10/20/19) and is watching the game from the press box in Buffalo.

Of course Gudbranson's suspension might have influenced it. However, if a Canuck were to be injured, he coudn't play until tomorrow anyways and by then Gudbrasnson's suspension will be up. Would think Patrick is returned to play tomorrow in Rochester. Should spend the night in Buffalo and meet the Comets in Rochester. Buffalo is only an hour away .

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Need I say I called this again? In spite of your opinion that there is no need to call up Wiercioch, upon which I would agree, he has been recalled today (10/20/19) and is watching the game from the press box in Buffalo.

Of course Gudbranson's suspension might have influenced it. However, if a Canuck were to be injured, he coudn't play until tomorrow anyways and by then Gudbrasnson's suspension will be up. Would think Patrick is returned to play tomorrow in Rochester. Should spend the night in Buffalo and meet the Comets in Rochester. Buffalo is only an hour away .

Its likely in case someone couldnt go last minute (today). You stated the reason yourself... the situation changed when Gud got suspended... i actually called it in the gamethread right after the hit/5 minute PIM call. Unless someone got hurt (that we dont konw about) i expect him back down tmr but i guess we will see. We still had 7D today not 8 so you didnt really call it since you were suggesting it to get us back to 8 while my argument is we really only need 7 short term.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Its likely in case someone couldnt go last minute (today). You stated the reason yourself... the situation changed when Gud got suspended... i actually called it in the gamethread right after the hit/5 minute PIM call. Unless someone got hurt (that we dont konw about) i expect him back down tmr but i guess we will see. We still had 7D today not 8 so you didnt really call it since you were suggesting it to get us back to 8 while my argument is we really only need 7 short term.

I was yanking on your leg. Didn't you feel it? You recognized I stated it myself. Thought you had gotten it until the the last sentence. I'll pull harder next time. LOL

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Johnson what the HELL were you doing when this was all taking place? There are only 2 answers. 1 - You don't have any idea what you are doing or 2 - Benning appointed you as a figure head and gave you no authority. I don't know which is the truth, but you better get some big ones and do something about this. Your predecessor made moves big moves whenever he recognized a major need. It's time for you to do likewise.

Either of your two possibilities is more than a little disturbing, not so much for what it says about Johnson but what it reveals about the person who gave him the title of Comets GM.

A few weeks after it was announced that Johnson was given that additional duty I had come to the conclusion it was really in name only (i.e. your #2) since the possibility that he could be in that position and not see the problem seemed next to impossible.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Green says he doesn't know how long Wiercioch will be with the Canucks. Looks like neither Chaput (as a poster said he would) nor Wiercioch will be back with the Comets tonight in Rochester.

So, Vancouver has 2 of the vets. That's maybe a chance to get Sifers his first start or leave the D a bit thin, but that will still mean a vet forward gets the bench. With 0 play making centers it probably means Hamilton and Bancks get another go. Rodin has only played once. It seems he ought to get some ice. Boucher is a VE so he starts no matter who the other vets are and even if he wasn't, Cull would be an idiot to sit his top point getter. That leaves Archi and Megna. To put Sifers in one of them has to sit.

Comets are now down to 7 D. Could see the return of Cederholm.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Count me as somewhat baffled about the call-up of Weircioch, unless it has something with the veteran rule....Gudbranson is back in the lineup on Sunday in Detroit, so the Canucks are currently carrying eight d-men.....Could be that with the veteran rule in the AHL and they knew Weircioch wouldn't be playing anyway.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
Count me as somewhat baffled about the call-up of Weircioch, unless it has something with the veteran rule....Gudbranson is back in the lineup on Sunday in Detroit, so the Canucks are currently carrying eight d-men.....Could be that with the veteran rule in the AHL and they knew Weircioch wouldn't be playing anyway.

Wierchioch has been assigned back to Utica. He was just needed for the one game that Gudbranson was suspended for.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Wierchioch has been assigned back to Utica. He was just needed for the one game that Gudbranson was suspended for.

Good news. Now I can put my crow back in the freezer. I posted not many posts back that he would be spending last night with the Canucks and meet the Comets in Rochester.

The vet issue still exists. Will Sifers still be sitting out?

Edit: Just heard that Wiercioch will not dress tonight.

With Wiercioch out of the lineup and Chaput with Vancouver, Sifers is still suspect since the Comets still have 7 vets. For him to play one of the forwards will have to sit.

Last edited:

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Green says he doesn't know how long Wiercioch will be with the Canucks. Looks like neither Chaput (as a poster said he would) nor Wiercioch will be back with the Comets tonight in Rochester.

So, Vancouver has 2 of the vets. That's maybe a chance to get Sifers his first start or leave the D a bit thin, but that will still mean a vet forward gets the bench. With 0 play making centers it probably means Hamilton and Bancks get another go. Rodin has only played once. It seems he ought to get some ice. Boucher is a VE so he starts no matter who the other vets are and even if he wasn't, Cull would be an idiot to sit his top point getter. That leaves Archi and Megna. To put Sifers in one of them has to sit.

Comets are now down to 7 D. Could see the return of Cederholm.

Chaput wont be going back down for a while and i dont think management is worried about him clearing waivers again this year. I wouldnt expect him down until Gaunce returns (since Gaunce has practiced with the team, i assume his timetable is closer than Eriksson and we might see Gaunce in Utica say next week or the week after for conditioning).

As UticaHockey said and nucks tweeted a few hours agin, Wiercioch is back to Utica and will probably stay there till we need a 7th D again. Although since Utica doesnt play again till sat, maybe nucks should call up Chatfield or Holm to spend time with the team (and practice).

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Utica Comets (2-2-0-0) @ Rochester Americans (2-2-0-0)
October 21, 2017

Starters:

Boucher - Bancks - Goldobin

McEneny - Sifers

Demko (1.34 GAA, .953 Save%, 1 SO)

Scratches:

Carcone, MacEwan (inj., day to day)

Rodin (healthy, vet rule), Subban (healthy)

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
WTG, time to fire Cull as he has scratched a healthy Subban. How dare he. What can he possibly thinking?

He's not a vet and isn't involved in the vet rotation. Sifers is tonight's vet on D with Wiercioch the vet D scratch.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Comets to the PP. 9th in the AHL. Rochester yet to surrender a PP goal with 4 GP.

So much for that!

GOAL!!!!!! Archibald from Goldobin and Bancks

1-0 Utica

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Archibald strikes on the PP!

1-0 Comets, and with that the Americans have allowed their first PP goal against. Bancks and Goldobin pick up the assists.

EDIT: Beaten to it by the ever reliable Bad Goalie.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Comets to the PK.

Shots are currently 9-1 Amerks.

Now Archi to the Box for over the glass. :58 5 on 3.

Bancks, Hamilton, Holm?

It's all Demko once again. 13 stops in the first half of the 1st

1st penalty is over. Just the second half of Archi's to go.

Archi's is killed. Back to even strength.

Last edited:

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Amerks gunning some more. The Comets can barely clear the puck from their zone and the Amerks bring the pressure right back on. Now the Comets back to the Kill. It's Laplante this time.

Last edited:

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Shots now 19-1!

Anyone who claims the Comets D is real good is dead wrong and the Comets forwards are terrible at their defensive responsibilities.

The PK seems like it must be good since they have killed 4, but it's Demko making the save not the PK keeping the PP at bay.

Last edited:

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Though Demko is playing well and deserves credit, the Comets are lucky that the Americans aren't that skilled a hockey club. I don't care how good a goalie you have, when you allow 19 shots (so far) in the 1st period it doesn't usually end well.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
That being said, they've been on the PK a lot.

Either way, the Comets really need to clean up their play here. Hopefully they come out much better in the 2nd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->