The Utica Comets Thread | Part 41

Status
Not open for further replies.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
For one last time Holm IS NOT a vet of any kind exempt or otherwise.

Vets in the last game were Chaput, Megna, Archibald, Bancks, and Wiercioch. Boucher was the vet exempt. That's 6 vets, 5 vet status and 1 VE.

Holm was also in the lineup. If he was a VE that would have been 7 vets and that is against the AHL rules. His GP in the Allsvenskan do not count against the veteran rule because it is not considered a European elite league. I argued this all summer and at the risk of being accused of the "I told you so." nah nah, I did tell you all it was the case.

i am glad you were right. one less headache.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Thanks for all the quality centers you provided your talented wing prospects JIMBO, you lying dolt.

Isn't the Comet's next game on Saturday? So Chaput could be sent down before then and not miss a game?

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Actually, I do not think they said they knew they had to fix it. They said "Virtanen aint got no playmaking centres down thur" but seemed utterly oblivious the concept of who was responsible for this.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Actually, I do not think they said they knew they had to fix it. They said "Virtanen aint got no playmaking centres down thur" but seemed utterly oblivious the concept of who was responsible for this.

I can't find it, but Trevor said "we have to rectify that situation next year." (paraphrase)

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Sharks fan here. How is Goldobin? I skimmed the thread and couldn't really find many opinions on him. I recall reading on the Sharks board that Canucks fans were disappointed with Goldobin, just as we are disappointed with Hansen. His numbers over a tiny sample size look good, though. What's the deal? Could he be headed to the NHL soon?

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Likely won’t be in the NHL until injuries hit that open up a roster spot (instead of just a 13th forward). Overall had a brutal camp considering where he should be, but seemingly has taking his demotion well and is producing which is good obviously. The problem that I see is that he seems to be unable to impact a game at the NHL level aside from a couple of times last season. I have significant doubts that he’ll be able to make the jump.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Sharks fan here. How is Goldobin? I skimmed the thread and couldn't really find many opinions on him. I recall reading on the Sharks board that Canucks fans were disappointed with Goldobin, just as we are disappointed with Hansen. His numbers over a tiny sample size look good, though. What's the deal? Could he be headed to the NHL soon?
The Comets GM Ryan Jonson was on TSN radio this morning singing the praises of Goldobin....says he's working hard in practice on his "two-way game"......they even have him killing penalties these days.....there's never been any doubt about his offense.....leading the Comets with three goals in four games.....I'm thinking he'll back up with the Canucks in short order.

Reactions: Grantham

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast

Had a bad camp, but is absolutely putting the comets on his back.

Probably be back up in the NHL in a few weeks. He's doing pretty much everything right down here.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
The Comets GM Ryan Jonson was on TSN radio this morning singing the praises of Goldobin....says he's working hard in practice on his "two-way game"......they even have him killing penalties these days.....there's never been any doubt about his offense.....leading the Comets with three goals in four games.....I'm thinking he'll back up with the Canucks in short order.

Gotta really praise Trent Cull here, really investing a lot into Goldobin. You could easily plug a vet into the PK, but Cull made a commitment to getting him to develop his defensive game through experience. :thumbu: from me.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Gotta really praise Trent Cull here, really investing a lot into Goldobin. You could easily plug a vet into the PK, but Cull made a commitment to getting him to develop his defensive game through experience. :thumbu: from me.

Every Comet plug available HAS BEEN CARRYING the PK load along with Megna and Chaput. The main killers have been Bancks, Hamilton, and Archibald along with the 2 previously mentioned. Goldobin's presence has been late in kills (10 seconds or so left) with Chaput so the 5 on 5 will be able to kick start right into offense. The hope is that Chaput will win the draw as well so Goldy won't have to really do much in the way of a kill. He is on the way out for the breakout pass if Chaput wins the draw. The opponent has to honor his late kill presence defensively themselves because he presents an immediate threat if they lose the draw. He is very good on the breakaway and they all know it. Boucher has been used the same way

Really have to chuckle at how you guys interpret little blips of info and blow it into something it isn't as is the case here. That's not to say you don't watch a lot of the comets, but to say he's killing penalties is a real stretch. Now Virtanen did get some actual PK time last season and it was interesting watching him try to take on a responsibility that was really alien to him. He was lost when he first started to do it in practice scrimmage work on the PK.. It wasn't a long experience, but it had a big positive effect on his 5 on 5 defensive game.

They ARE definitely working on his two-way game. That's what the big club wants most. No one doubts his offensive skills, but he is highly suspect when the puck goes the other way. Jake had the same problem, but Green worked with him all season long last year and Jake finally grasps the fact that a hockey rink has two ends and when the puck goes the other way it's not your cue to change 'em up which is how he played defensively during his 10 game playoff stint, his conditioning stint, and then when he arrived here for good last year.

Last edited:

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
Every Comet plug available HAS BEEN CARRYING the PK load along with Megna and Chaput. The main killers have been Bancks, Hamilton, and Archibald along with the 2 previously mentioned. Goldobin's presence has been late in kills (10 seconds or so left) with Chaput so the 5 on 5 will be able to kick start right into offense. The hope is that Chaput will win the draw as well so Goldy won't have to really do much in the way of a kill. He is on the way out for the breakout pass if Chaput wins the draw. The opponent has to honor his late kill presence defensively themselves because he presents an immediate threat if they lose the draw. He is very good on the breakaway and they all know it. Boucher has been used the same way

Really have to chuckle at how you guys interpret little blips of info and blow it into something it isn't as is the case here. That's not to say you don't watch a lot of the comets, but to say he's killing penalties is a real stretch. Now Virtanen did get some actual PK time last season and it was interesting watching him try to take on a responsibility that was really alien to him. He was lost when he first started to do it in practice scrimmage work on the PK.. It wasn't a long experience, but it had a big positive effect on his 5 on 5 defensive game.

They ARE definitely working on his two-way game. That's what the big club wants most. No one doubts his offensive skills, but he is highly suspect when the puck goes the other way. Jake had the same problem, but Green worked with him all season long last year and Jake finally grasps the fact that a hockey rink has two ends and when the puck goes the other way it's not your cue to change 'em up which is how he played defensively during his 10 game playoff stint, his conditioning stint, and then when he arrived here for good last year.

Trent Cull has been putting out both Goldobin and Subban out there for the final 2 minutes of a game where they are winning. That is something I didn't see in Green. Twice now, that I've noticed this in their 2 wins. I appreciate that and it's a welcome change.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Trent Cull has been putting out both Goldobin and Subban out there for the final 2 minutes of a game where they are winning. That is something I didn't see in Green. Twice now, that I've noticed this in their 2 wins. I appreciate that and it's a welcome change.

That has nothing to do with your praise for Cull putting Goldobin out on the PP, which was a totally misleading post to anyone who didn't know the actual facts.

Nope he didn't put Subban out in the last 2 minutes, but he did put McEneny and Sautner out there. One a rookie and the second a less dependable defender than Subban. On two different assignments Goldobin was here for 3 total games. God wouldn't have sent him out to there to ice down a game.

As to Cull with Subbie now, they are last ditch hopes to get their **** together. If theydon't figure it out now, there is a good chance their days in this organization are numbered. Again, as I posted several days a go an ex NHL player doing color on an NHL game stated no NHL coach is going to give ice time to a player who can't at least produce a valiant effort in their own end. Green taught Virtanen and now it's Cull's job to teach Goldobin.

I seem to recall someone saying it didn't matter if a certain defenseman couldn't play defense if he could neutralize his numbers with positive output on offense. You and others may believe that, but it's never been so among most NHL coaches in the past and isn't so among most NHL coaches today. Will they live with it for awhile until the guy gets it down? yup. Will they accept is as the way it is? Nope.

Grreen got criticized for it by a group of Vancouver posters, but he got every player who laced 'em up for the Comets to play a decent 2-way game. It wasn't his fault that they just were not offensively skilled enough to make the transition. Most non blue chip can't miss prospects don't make the NHL. The 2 major disappointments here were Grenier and Jensen. Jensen is now playing inEurope after the rangers couldn't get it out of him at the NHL level either. Grenier is in AHL Springfield after failing to impress the Panthers in preseason as well. Neither ever had a problem passing through waivers either. Along with Shinkaruk and Gaunce, they were the only serious threats to become NHL players that have played for the Comets. They traded Shink when he was leading the team in goals and points (almost PPG) halfway into his second season. His numbers were still good enough to finish tied for 3rd in points at the end of the season. Gaunce has made the Canucks. He was a basically a PPG as well in his second season. PPG is usually a significant feat for any player in the AHL. There were 9 last season who played 50 games or more.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
So, the Canucks have some centers playing on the wing while the Comets have one capable center and some other guys skating in the position. The Comets top two scorers are wingers.

The Canucks lose a winger and call up the Comets' only center, of course. I'd say it's amazing, but in view of the past two seasons it really isn't.

Edit: I see that there are reports of Sutter being ill as well as Eriksson being hurt. I'd still have favoured calling up a winger-Rodin or Megna, both vets included in the great Utica platoon-and use four out of Bo, Henrik, Burmistrov, Granlund and Gagner at center. That wouldn't hurt Utica to any great extent (Megna and Rodin are included in the great veteran platoon anyway) and it seems to me wouldn't markedly hurt the Canucks either.

There are a number of reasons Chaput/Megna would be the ideal call-up.

First, the vet situation in Utica as documented in this thread by BG/UticaHockey. There are so many vets in fact that as stated in this thread, Sifers has yet to play, Rodin has only played 1 game. Even Archibald has missed a game. So far only 2 vets have played every game (Chaput and Bancks). Even fan favorite Archibald has missed a game.

Another reason is the player being called up isn't like to play (except maybe during one of the B2B games or someone is unable to play). It makes more sense for a non-prospect to sit than a prospect. On top of that, it also makes more sense (in terms of $) to have a 1 way contract called up vs a 2 way (small amount of $ but it does make a difference on the balance sheet).

As far as C vs wings... sure 'nucks have more than enough C but Green likes to move his lines around a LOT as Comets fan already know. 'nucks have 6 C on their roster but Granlund and Gagner both (along with Boeser) played with the Sedins just last game. Both of them also played more on the wing than C (not just this year but last year as well). Also again, due to the vet situation, it makes more sense to call up a vet vs a non-vet. If you look at vet alternatives, you have Megna (is an option but Chaput clearly has played better), Archibald (no contract), Bancks (no contract), Hamilton (no contract), and Rodin (1/4 games played). Boucher being the only VE could also make sense but it doesn't help Utica situation at all (plus it looks like 'nucks want to develop Boucher's defensive game so he probably will stay in Utica for a while).

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Unless Vancouver is planning on running a short roster, I expect someone to be heading to Vancouver to replace Edler. Wiercioch would be the first guess, but if they want to protect him due to the waiver issue they might rotate call ups until Edler is recovered. 4-6 weeks is a long time.

There is 7 D in Vancouver so no real need to call up Wiercioch unless someone else gets hurt or Pouliot struggles (hasn't so far). After all it makes more sense to keep his 10g/30d timer maxed until we actually need him. If someone can't go last minute, Biega can slot in and probably should slot in for 1 of the next 3 games (3 in 4 nights).

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
the games are all on the east coast so they can call up quickly if needed. or maybe they'd rather dress biega on the left side than anyone in utica.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
There are a number of reasons Chaput/Megna would be the ideal call-up.

First, the vet situation in Utica as documented in this thread by BG/UticaHockey. There are so many vets in fact that as stated in this thread, Sifers has yet to play, Rodin has only played 1 game. Even Archibald has missed a game. So far only 2 vets have played every game (Chaput and Bancks). Even fan favorite Archibald has missed a game.

Another reason is the player being called up isn't like to play (except maybe during one of the B2B games or someone is unable to play). It makes more sense for a non-prospect to sit than a prospect. On top of that, it also makes more sense (in terms of $) to have a 1 way contract called up vs a 2 way (small amount of $ but it does make a difference on the balance sheet).

As far as C vs wings... sure 'nucks have more than enough C but Green likes to move his lines around a LOT as Comets fan already know. 'nucks have 6 C on their roster but Granlund and Gagner both (along with Boeser) played with the Sedins just last game. Both of them also played more on the wing than C (not just this year but last year as well). Also again, due to the vet situation, it makes more sense to call up a vet vs a non-vet. If you look at vet alternatives, you have Megna (is an option but Chaput clearly has played better), Archibald (no contract), Bancks (no contract), Hamilton (no contract), and Rodin (1/4 games played). Boucher being the only VE could also make sense but it doesn't help Utica situation at all (plus it looks like 'nucks want to develop Boucher's defensive game so he probably will stay in Utica for a while).

Your vet theory for call-ups is one I have already posted. However, you said this vet would be better off sitting than a prospect. Again I agree, but you said Chaput should be the one since he's been playing better. If the guy is going to sit, it makes much more sense to take Megna rather than the only quality center the Comets have.

If Chaput stays up and I predict he will, the Comets will ice Hamilton, Bancks, Darcy and Woods in the middle on Saturday in Rochester. That just may be the weakest quartet of centers in the entire AHL, 2 PTOs, a checking line wing, a true 4th, checking line center. The last 2 are best known for their ability to kill penalties and together, with a third player with the same capabilities, completely shut down an opponent's first line to the point they can't even get out of their own end. There's not a single play maker in the bunch.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Most people are blaming Benning for the Comets sorry state at center. I agree the main onus is on him, however, I also believe an additional individual should share a large part of the blame. I don't believe he can be used by Jim as the scapegoat, but he needs to account for himself. That individual would be the new Comets GM Johnson. Any person in his position has to be a part of the construction of what is now HIS team. How he could watch the Comets roster get constructed with such an absence of at least 2-3 AHL quality centers in unconscionable.

It was obvious even to the casual observer that the Canucks were not going to be sending a plethora of middle men down. The Canucks were heavy on the wings and the guys who could also play center were not likely to be sent down meaning their assignments to Utica would be wings.

That left Chaput and Megna. Megna wasn't used as a center by Green in his short Utica stay in '16-17 and Cull isn't using him there much either. It appears the coaching staff throughout the system considers Jayson to be a better choice for the wing.

Thus, the Comets were going to be in the same bind as the last 2 seasons. They would have to cobble together lines with less than capable play making centers which would be highly detrimental to scoring. That has become a reality. Also a Vancouver call-up of Chaput, which so many Vancouver posters said was unlikely, would leave the Comets in a bind worse than a the 2 previous seasons in that they would be left without and real semblance of a top 6 center.

Fast forward to the actual season and Chaput is the only quality center. He has been recalled. Not one play making centers on the roster. Bancks has been hanging in there on what must be called the #1 line with Boucher and Goldobin. The two wings are leading the team in scoring and Boucher has been the top play maker on the team having assisted on 6 of their goals including all 3 of Goldobin's and and both assisted on the one goal Bancks has scored.
When you leave that line, the other 5 Comets goals see Boucher assisting on 2 of them and Bancks and Goldobin on two more. Meaning the rest of the entire Comets roster has scored a total of TWO goals without the first line being involved and Chaput has scored on of them and assisted on the other one and he's now a Canuck. If he stays too long, he will have to get through waivers once again (I am right about that am i not?).

Johnson what the HELL were you doing when this was all taking place? There are only 2 answers. 1 - You don't have any idea what you are doing or 2 - Benning appointed you as a figure head and gave you no authority. I don't know which is the truth, but you better get some big ones and do something about this. Your predecessor made moves big moves whenever he recognized a major need. It's time for you to do likewise.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
UTICA COMETS

2-2-0, 4pts, 5th in the division.

Won their last 2 games.

9 goals in their first 4 games.

23.8% PP , 10th

87.5% PK , 11th

Boucher 6pts
Goldobin 3g
Boucher 6a
Bancks +2
LaBate 11 PIM
Boucher 10 sog

In case there others like me wondering about the basics...

Oddleifson

Sep 28, 2011
New Westminster
UTICA COMETS

2-2-0, 4pts, 5th in the division.

In case there others like me wondering about the basics...

Thanks DL44 -- that's good stuff. As BG has been emphasizing... it's tremendously important to get the basics down solid; otherwise, them players'll never get around to the important stuff, like winning. :)

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
There is 7 D in Vancouver so no real need to call up Wiercioch unless someone else gets hurt or Pouliot struggles (hasn't so far). After all it makes more sense to keep his 10g/30d timer maxed until we actually need him. If someone can't go last minute, Biega can slot in and probably should slot in for 1 of the next 3 games (3 in 4 nights).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad