Sifers
Woods
Brisebois
Moynihan

Injured -
MacEwen (dtod)

Final Score
Utica Comets 3 Syracuse Crunch 2

Goldobin (3) from Boucher (6) and Holm (1)
Holm (1) from Bancks (3) and Goldobin (3) PP
Chaput (1) from McEneny (1) and Holm (2) PP

SOG:
Comets 10 3 6 = 19
Crunch 8 11 7 = 26

PP:
Comets - 2/7
Crunch - 0/5

Demko - 24/26

3 Stars:
1 - Thatcher Demko (Utica Comets) - 26 SA/24 SVs
2 - Mitchell Stevens (Syracuse Crunch) - 1G
3 - Philip Holm (Utica Comets) - 1G/2A

Michael Chaput the GWG

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015

Demko is 2-1 with a 1.50 GAA and .953 SV%.

Thanks for that excellent post, most of which I haven't quoted.

To nitpick a detail, I think Demko's given up 4 goals against in 179 minuteswhich gives him a GAA of 1.34.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Holm is an interesting player.....showed flashes in training camp but was clearly adjusting to the pace and physicality on the smaller rink...when he figures it out in Utica, the Canucks might have something. Could see Holm, Goldobin, Boucher and even Demko eventually playing games in VanCity this year......particularly if Jimbo is active at the trade deadline dumping players and contracts.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Thanks for that excellent post, most of which I haven't quoted.

To nitpick a detail, I think Demko's given up 4 goals against in 179 minuteswhich gives him a GAA of 1.34.

Yeah, I made the correction.

I took it off the Comets stat sheet and they hadn't updated it and I didn't take the time to figure it myself. we'll always catch up never fear.

Thanks.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
With the overabundance of veterans in Utica so that the Canucks have sufficient depth when the injury bug hits in full, vets are platooning. I have a couple of questions about specific vets.

1. Does anyone have any information as to whether Sifers not yet playing a single game is anything other than a coach's choice? Even given that the Comets are an afterthought to the Canucks it seems really odd for the Comets to have signed him for two years at the age of 34 if he's not going to be used to provide some veteran stability. IIRC, Sifers was signed by Conacher prior to Ryan Johnson being named Comets' GM. I mention that because I don't think Conacher was known for making silly, superfluous signings.

Of course, Sifers was signed before Vanek's signing and Virtanen's good training camp exacerbated the Comets' overabundance of veterans.

Of course, Sifers was signed before the Vanek signing and Virtanen's good training camp exacerbated the Comets' overabundance of vetereans.

I can understand if Sifers was unimpressive in training camp or practice or the Comets' other defencemen have been good enough that the vet slots have been needed more at forward. It's just looking really strange to have Sifers signed to be a veteran presence if his presence is only going to be in the locker room until injuries or callups dictate otherwise unless Sifers has a niggling hurt or something else that makes Cull want to give him the time off.

2. Rodin has sat out 3 of the 4 games while Wacey Hamilton, among others, has been at wing playing 3 games, which seems really odd unless there's a problem with Rodin's recuperation. Assuming Rodin hasn't come around to be the player he was appearing he could be, does anyone have any actual information (as opposed to speculation) whether it's just taking time to recuperate or regain his timing or conditioning, or whether his injuries mean he'll never be able to get back to the level he played at his MVP year in Sweden?

Last edited:

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
With the overabundance of veterans in Utica so that the Canucks have sufficient depth when the injury bug hits in full, vets are platooning. I have a couple of questions about specific vets.

1. Does anyone have any information as to whether Sifers not yet playing a single game is anything other than a coach's choice? Even given that the Comets are an afterthought to the Canucks it seems really odd for the Comets to have signed him for two years at the age of 34 if he's not going to be used to provide some veteran stability. IIRC, Sifers was signed by Conacher prior to Ryan Johnson being named Comets' GM. I mention that because I don't think Conacher was known for making silly, superfluous signings.

Of course, Sifers was signed before Vanek's signing and Virtanen's good training camp exacerbated the Comets' overabundance of veterans.

Of course, Sifers was signed before the Vanek signing and Virtanen's good training camp exacerbated the Comets' overabundance of vetereans.

I can understand if Sifers was unimpressive in training camp or practice or the Comets' other defencemen have been good enough that the vet slots have been needed more at forward. It's just looking really strange to have Sifers signed to be a veteran presence if his presence is only going to be in the locker room until injuries or callups dictate otherwise unless Sifers has a niggling hurt or something else that makes Cull want to give him the time off.

2. Rodin has sat out 3 of the 4 games while Wacey Hamilton, among others, has been at wing playing 3 games, which seems really odd unless there's a problem with Rodin's recuperation. Assuming Rodin hasn't come around to be the player he was appearing he could be, does anyone have any actual information (as opposed to speculation) whether it's just taking time to recuperate or regain his timing or conditioning, or whether his injuries mean he'll never be able to get back to the level he played at his MVP year in Sweden?

Sifers first. As far as the signing goes I do not believe Conacher has the autonomy to sign players to standard AHL contracts without management in Vancouver blessing it first.....especially a two year deal. I have not heard anything about a nagging injury so I am going with the assumption that he is simply a victim of the excess number of veterans. He might have seen some game action by now if Wierchioch hadn't been sent down. Patrick played both games this weekend and to do so one young dman had to be scratched which was McEneny on Friday and Brisebois on Saturday. If both Sifers and Wierchioch were to play then another young man plus another veteran forward should have to sit. Being three veterans over the limit is a problem.

Rodin didn't play the first weekend because he never arrived in Utica during the week due to visa issues and met the team in Toronto. Cull wanted him to get some practice time with the team before playing him. Rodin played on Friday this past weekend but not Saturday. It could just be a case of not using him on back to back nights to give his knee a rest especially since there are so many veterans Cull can give him the extra rest. Hamilton is a center and not a wing and has played 3 out of 4 games because the Comets are short at the center position.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Sifers first. As far as the signing goes I do not believe Conacher has the autonomy to sign players to standard AHL contracts without management in Vancouver blessing it first.....especially a two year deal. I have not heard anything about a nagging injury so I am going with the assumption that he is simply a victim of the excess number of veterans. He might have seen some game action by now if Wierchioch hadn't been sent down. Patrick played both games this weekend and to do so one young dman had to be scratched which was McEneny on Friday and Brisebois on Saturday. If both Sifers and Wierchioch were to play then another young man plus another veteran forward should have to sit. Being three veterans over the limit is a problem.

Rodin didn't play the first weekend because he never arrived in Utica during the week due to visa issues and met the team in Toronto. Cull wanted him to get some practice time with the team before playing him. Rodin played on Friday this past weekend but not Saturday. It could just be a case of not using him on back to back nights to give his knee a rest especially since there are so many veterans Cull can give him the extra rest. Hamilton is a center and not a wing and has played 3 out of 4 games because the Comets are short at the center position.

Unless Vancouver is planning on running a short roster, I expect someone to be heading to Vancouver to replace Edler. Wiercioch would be the first guess, but if they want to protect him due to the waiver issue they might rotate call ups until Edler is recovered. 4-6 weeks is a long time.

Erikkson being out of the lineup means a forward has to go also.

This post may be behind the 8 ball if those moves have already been made. Just logged on and haven't checked to see. Doing that now.

EDIT - No news yet. They play again on Thursday. Would expect something to happen today.

Comets don't play until Saturday (10/21) and then don't play again until back to backs in Charlotte on the the following weekend (10/28 & 29). Plenty of time for the brain trusts to come up with a plan.

Last edited:

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
so the canucks will need to call up a forward and left side dman on this road trip. waivers is not an issue for now.

who would get the nod based on how well they have played between boucher and goldobin, and between wiercioch and holm? are there any other candidates?

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i guess calling up two veterans would make the utica lineups easier, so maybe boucher will get the nod over goldobin, and maybe wiercioch over holm if they need holm as an exempt 6th veteran.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Watching those Comet highlights you'd have to say that some of those saves by Demko are of the jaw-dropping variety....unlike a lot of big goalies, this kid's flexibility and lateral movement is a sight to behold....a couple of cross-crease saves were the the stuff of highway robbery.....if Markstrom's game continues to go south and the Canucks are dead and buried in the playoff race come the New Year, I'd like to see how Demko would fare in the NHL.....They could still return him to the Comets for the stretch drive and the playoffs.

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
Watching those Comet highlights you'd have to say that some of those saves by Demko are of the jaw-dropping variety....unlike a lot of big goalies, this kid's flexibility and lateral movement is a sight to behold....a couple of cross-crease saves were the the stuff of highway robbery.....if Markstrom's game continues to go south and the Canucks are dead and buried in the playoff race come the New Year, I'd like to see how Demko would fare in the NHL.....They could still return him to the Comets for the stretch drive and the playoffs.

The only way Demko will see time in the NHL is if somebody gets injured.

I really wouldn't want to expose him to this enviroment right now anyways. Let him dominate in Utica away from this circus.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The only way Demko will see time in the NHL is if somebody gets injured.

I really wouldn't want to expose him to this enviroment right now anyways. Let him dominate in Utica away from this circus.
All of this could be true....but I suspect if Demko gets some injury games in VanCity he'll seize the opportunity and won't surrender the crease. Sometimes when a player is just 'ready' he finds a way to make it impossible for them to take him out of the lineup.

Guardian452

Jun 10, 2011
Bachman will likely be the injury recall goalie again. He’s a capable #3 goalie and is reliable for 2 - 3 games as an injury fill-in.

Reactions: UticaHockey

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
So, the Canucks have some centers playing on the wing while the Comets have one capable center and some other guys skating in the position. The Comets top two scorers are wingers.

The Canucks lose a winger and call up the Comets' only center, of course. I'd say it's amazing, but in view of the past two seasons it really isn't.

Edit: I see that there are reports of Sutter being ill as well as Eriksson being hurt. I'd still have favoured calling up a winger-Rodin or Megna, both vets included in the great Utica platoon-and use four out of Bo, Henrik, Burmistrov, Granlund and Gagner at center. That wouldn't hurt Utica to any great extent (Megna and Rodin are included in the great veteran platoon anyway) and it seems to me wouldn't markedly hurt the Canucks either.

Last edited:

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
I don't think I've ever seen a NHL team as bad as us have such a veteran heavy farm team. There are only two legitimate prospects on this team in Goldobin and Demko and Goldobin shouldn't even be down here.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
i guess calling up two veterans would make the utica lineups easier, so maybe boucher will get the nod over goldobin, and maybe wiercioch over holm if they need holm as an exempt 6th veteran.

For one last time Holm IS NOT a vet of any kind exempt or otherwise.

Vets in the last game were Chaput, Megna, Archibald, Bancks, and Wiercioch. Boucher was the vet exempt. That's 6 vets, 5 vet status and 1 VE.

Holm was also in the lineup. If he was a VE that would have been 7 vets and that is against the AHL rules. His GP in the Allsvenskan do not count against the veteran rule because it is not considered a European elite league. I argued this all summer and at the risk of being accused of the "I told you so." nah nah, I did tell you all it was the case.

Last edited:

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Chaput called up, leaves the comets with basically no centers.......

So much for all the Vancouver posters who assured us in Utica that the Canucks would not be calling up Chaput since they have so many guys playing on the wings who are also centers, so they would be calling up wingers. I did say Chaput would be the first call-up and voila!

Thanks for all the quality centers you provided your talented wing prospects JIMBO, you lying dolt.

Last edited:

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Danny Moynihan to the Zoo. It was to be expected. He can get playing time down their.
Coupled with Chaput's promotion and MacEwen's injury, the Comets forward group is quickly shrinking. Looks like the PTOs Darcy and Woods both pencil in at center. Nothing against 2 guys who work their tails off, but neither is a quality play making center and neither are the 2 hardest working Comets, Bancks and Hamilton, but those are likely the 4 you will see in the lineup on Saturday in Rochester.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Jimbo should be sending sympathy cards to Goldobin, Boucher, Rodin, Archibald, LaBate, and Carcone for making them ply their trade without play makers. In fact all the wings are in the same boat. Who'd a thunk that Goldobin and Boucher would be centered on the first line by a checking line winger, Carter Bancks.

To all of those in Vancouver who said Bancks and Hamilton were plugs that should be sent to the ECHL and that would solve the vet problem, you need to rethink your plan. They are now the Comets 2 best centers. The best-laid plans of mice and men often go awry.

Jimbo and Trevor said they knew they had to fix the center problem in Utica. Two bold faced liars.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
What makes it even funnier is that the canucks will have, what, 4 centres playing wing? :laugh:.

This might be the most poorly constructed roster in history. Just a joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->