The Utica Comets Thread | Part 41

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
http://www.uticacomets.com/news/detail/comets-sign-defenseman-jaime-sifers

Utica Comets Director of Hockey Operations Pat Conacher announced today that the club has signed defenseman Jaime Sifers to a two-year American Hockey League contract.

Sifers, 34, has spent the last three season with the Columbus Blue Jackets AHL team posting a total of 61 points (14-47-61) and 242 penalty minutes in 217 games.

In those three seasons, the Stratford, Connecticut native served as the alternate captain and was a member of the 2016 Calder Cup champion team. The defenseman led the team with a plus-18 in the 2015-16 championship season.

An 11-year professional, Sifers has amassed 149 career points in the AHL (35-114-149) and 547 penalty minutes with the Cleveland Monsters, Springfield Falcons, Chicago Wolves, Houston Aeros and Toronto Marlies.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
This one's a bit surprising to me-I kept thinking they'd sign Robak, which seems really unlikeley now because the Comets are likely to already have enough veteran skaters that they may be platooning them. Perhaps Robak was seeking something the Comets couldn't or wouldn't give him.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
This one's a bit surprising to me-I kept thinking they'd sign Robak, which seems really unlikeley now because the Comets are likely to already have enough veteran skaters that they may be platooning them. Perhaps Robak was seeking something the Comets couldn't or wouldn't give him.

The Canucks do have a glut of LS LD but not much after Biega and Subban in terms of RS RD

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

I have been mulling this exact dilemma. I see the following as absolutely on the roster. The players are not committed to these exact positions.

Forwards:
Sedin/Sedin/Eriksson
Baertschi/Horvat (they can't possibly leave this kid unsigned)/X
Granlund/Sutter/Y
Z/Gagner/Dorsett
EX

So X/Y/Z/EX need to be inserted. these players come from the following pool: newly acquired Burmistrov ($900,000), Megna ($675,000), Chaput ($687,000), Rodin ($700,000). Any forward on this list is on a 1-way and must pass through waivers.

Gaunce ($832,000 last year of contract) and Boucher ($(715,000 last year of contract) who are not resigned as of yet. They were on 2-ways last season, but are likely shopping for 1-ways as ELCs have expired. In any case, both have to pass through waivers.

Boeser, Goldobin, Virtanen, and Molino are all still on ELCs and 2-ways.

Defense:
Edler/Tanev
Hutton/Stecher
DelZotto/Gudbranson
Wiercioch/Biega

All of these defensemen are on 1-way contracts and the bottom 2 are making $650,00 and $800,000 respectively. The only threat to these 8 spots is Juolevi and he is an ELC on a 2-way.

Why all the financial info in addition to the waiver info? Because the Canucks will have to cut 1 D and 7 (EDITED TO 5) Forwards from these numbers in order to hit 23 and both of those issues become very instrumental here.

Boeser, Goldobin, Virtanen, and Molino can go down without waivers and make $70K each.

Any other sent down would result in:

Wiercioch $650,000 or Biega $800,000
Burmistrov $900,000
Rodin $700,000
Chaput $687,000
Megna $675,000
Gaunce To be increased? from $832,000
Boucher To be increased? from $715,000

For every one of the ELCs kept in Vancouver a huge salary from AHL standards will go down.

So let's say they keep Juolevi who comes down Biega at $800K or Wiercioch at $650K?

If Boeser and Goldobin stay up as so many list in their mock lineups along with newly acquired Burmistrov, whom I cannot believe they acquired at $900K for the Comets. All but one left of the 7 forwards left above will be attempted to be sent to Utica. The 2 ELCs go right down, but the other 5 are very costly demotions. They would end up comprising one of, if not the highest, priced AHL rosters.

For the first time since this off season began I am beginning to wonder if the Canucks are finally telling the truth when they said they were not going to rush the kids anymore. Burmistrov, Wiercioch, Gagner, the re-signings of Chaput and Megna and reupping Gaunce and Boucher would allow for this to happen to the nth degree in Vancouver.

Olli could get his 19 yr old season of growth and development outside of the NA pro game (Jrs. or SHL with Dahlen and Petersson).

Boeser, Goldobin, Virtanen, and Molino could take a season or at least a big part of it to develop together along with Subban, McEneny, Brisebois, Chatfield, Demko and even Carcone as they are likely a big part of the future to be combined with the youth that's already in Vancouver and the next couple draft picks they get along with futures from flipping a couple more at the deadline. Can't say it would be a bad plan.

I don't see Benning passing up the new toys now anymore than he could in the past. Thus, I either see trades coming that will involve some of the aforementioned guys in deals or he holds on to them all and creates a minor league salary group from waiver eligible players that will dazzle most of the rest of the league with their paychecks. So much for those posters who said the Canucks would never commit to those kind of dollars for players especially in the AHL in such a small city.

He can't keep the numbers he currently has in Vancouver, so something along these lines has to happen.

P.S. Don't forget that Pedan will be making $200,000 on the AHL end of his contract. and Bachman will be receiving $450,000 and LaBate a measly $90,000. I'm also betting that Archi got one of those aforementioned decent contracts that each AHL team hands out in small numbers, at least matching Pedan's $.

There is an error in my post. I stated "7 Forwards from these numbers"...

I neglected to account for the 2 extras forwards the Canucks will carry so the number is 5. it is noted in the text above.

Last edited:

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Jaime Sifers is a well traveled veteran D-man who is the Huskins type solid defensive player who can act as the mentor and on ice contributor to the teaching of the kids by his play on the ice. He's not the #1 guy, but he is the anchor missing over the past 2 seasons.

He is a 34 yr-old 5'11"/180 lb/RS D-man. His hockey career began with 4 yrs at NCAA U. of Vermont. He signed a free agent contract with the Leafs
and 2 full seasons with the Marlies and split the third between the Marlies (43GP) and the parent Leafs (23GP).

He then signed a 1-yr with the Wild, but played only 14 with the Wild and the rest in the AHL.

Then a 1-year run with the Thrashers organization all spent in the AHL.

Then on to 3 seasons in Germany's DEL before returning to play in Springfield in 2014-15, Lake Erie in 2015-16, and Cleveland in 2016-17 and now to the Comets.

His signing pushes Ashton Sautner into a sharper corner. Subban, McEneny, Pedan, Sifers, and I think Holm are likely already the top 5 with Brisebois, Chatfield, and Cederholm as the new kids on the block all after Sautner's job. One of these guys is going to end up in the Zoo.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
And up-top, if Oli Juolevi makes it impossible for them to send him out, then one of Wiercioch or Biega ends up in Utica....I suspect if might be Biega, and if so, the Comet blueline looks rock-solid with the right mix of veterans and youth.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Chaput gets a 1 way deal... so he gets paid (a lot more) even if he plays for the Comets.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Jaime Sifers is a well traveled veteran D-man who is the Huskins type solid defensive player who can act as the mentor and on ice contributor to the teaching of the kids by his play on the ice. He's not the #1 guy, but he is the anchor missing over the past 2 seasons.

This is the type of signing you want no?

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
The comets should be a much stronger team this season, but of course Injuries are inevitable with the Canucks. That will be the wild card this season... How many comets will be called up and for how long.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
The comets should be a much stronger team this season, but of course Injuries are inevitable with the Canucks. That will be the wild card this season... How many comets will be called up and for how long.

I'm blown away at the possible salaries that will be laid out for some of these guys.

TJ Brennan and Will O'Neill (guys I have clamored for Vancouver to pick up when they were on the market) are on 2-ways and will only get $350,000 to play in Lehigh Valley this season. Chris Connor, who put up 56 points for Lehigh, made $250,000. Chris Bourque (another one I was looking at) is on a 2-way and only gets $373,000 to play in Hershey. I say "only" because posters told me those kind of salaries were the reason we could never expect to get those kind of guys here in such a "small market".

Now we are getting projections of Chaput ($687,500), Megna ($675,000), Biega ($800,000), Gaunce and Boucher ($832,500 and $715,00 respectively on their last contracts and both currently unsigned RFAs) being sent to Utica. If they keep Alex, it would be Wiercioch at $650,000. Rodin at $700,000 has also shown up on the list, at least until he proves his knee to be fully recovered. Cripes, "Jekyll/Hyde" Pedan is going to get $200,000.

This is what gives me pause to believe maybe they are going to send down the kids for a season and let them get the pro game down together. They keep saying they don't want to make another mistake of rushing the kids too fast. Keeping some of those like Biega and Chaput would mean kids get demoted. The guys I mentioned above are either on 1-yr contracts or on the last year of a their current ones which would open the door immediately for the kids to move up next year.

I don't know what to think, but these salary numbers blow my mind for the AHL level and so many have 1-ways and you know that's the kind of security Gaunce and Boucher are seeking so they may take a little cut, but get 1-ways as well so there #s would also be abnormal. Would Vancouver put that kind of $ down here? It's not normal for even the richest teams? Are they cooking up some kind of player dump for another top line guy? Doesn't something have to be brewing here? This is potentially ludicrous. Neither Biega or Wiercioch is going to score Brennan's team leading 60 points with 21 goals but would make more than twice as much money. This is just crazy.

We also have to realize that any one of these guys could be snatched up by another franchise the second they go on waivers. Do they dare risk losing their depth, as that's what purpose these guys immediately serve to Vancouver, for nothing?

Last edited:

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I'm blown away at the possible salaries that will be laid out for some of these guys.

TJ Brennan and Will O'Neill (guys I have clamored for Vancouver to pick up when they were on the market) are on 2-ways and will only get $350,000 to play in Lehigh Valley this season. Chris Connor, who put up 56 points for Lehigh, made $250,000. Chris Bourque (another one I was looking at) is on a 2-way and only gets $373,000 to play in Hershey. I say "only" because posters told me those kind of salaries were the reason we could never expect to get those kind of guys here in such a "small market".

Now we are getting projections of Chaput ($687,500), Megna ($675,000), Biega ($800,000), Gaunce and Boucher ($832,500 and $715,00 respectively on their last contracts and both currently unsigned RFAs) being sent to Utica. If they keep Alex, it would be Wiercioch at $650,000. Rodin at $700,000 has also shown up on the list, at least until he proves his knee to be fully recovered. Cripes, "Jekyll/Hyde" Pedan is going to get $200,000.

This is what gives me pause to believe maybe they are going to send down the kids for a season and let them get the pro game down together. They keep saying they don't want to make another mistake of rushing the kids too fast. Keeping some of those like Biega and Chaput would mean kids get demoted. The guys I mentioned above are either on 1-yr contracts or on the last year of a their current ones which would open the door immediately for the kids to move up next year.

I don't know what to think, but these salary numbers blow my mind for the AHL level and so many have 1-ways and you know that's the kind of security Gaunce and Boucher are seeking so they may take a little cut, but get 1-ways as well so there #s would also be abnormal. Would Vancouver put that kind of $ down here? It's not normal for even the richest teams? Are they cooking up some kind of player dump for another top line guy? Doesn't something have to be brewing here? This is potentially ludicrous. Neither Biega or Wiercioch is going to score Brennan's team leading 60 points with 21 goals but would make more than twice as much money. This is just crazy.

We also have to realize that any one of these guys could be snatched up by another franchise the second they go on waivers. Do they dare risk losing their depth, as that's what purpose these guys immediately serve to Vancouver, for nothing?

I would usually agree with you that something seems off. My only thought/hope is that they are fine with it since they are not right up to the cap this year. So, they will spend the same amount of money as usual but spend a bit more in Utica and a bit less in Vancouver.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I would usually agree with you that something seems off. My only thought/hope is that they are fine with it since they are not right up to the cap this year. So, they will spend the same amount of money as usual but spend a bit more in Utica and a bit less in Vancouver.

Don't get me wrong. It's not something I wouldn't like to see. I just can't wrap my brain around the likelihood after the fiascos of the past 2 seasons. I keep telling myself not to get optimistic until there is absolute proof.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
David Shields has signed a contract to play for the EC Villacher SV based in Austria.
Dave served the comets well over the past 2 seasons. He was always a solid steady defensive D-man with a very sharp accurate first pass. Nothing fancy but got the job done in almost every situation. At 26 and having nothing fancy to offer the Canucks he becomes a victim of numbers and kids. The Comets needed an anchor d-man to steady the ship moving forward a la Huskins. That piece has been sorely missed in the last 2 seasons. I believe they feel Sifers fills that niche. They still lack that true #1 D-man with an equal mix of offensive punch and defensive prowess that can serve the Comets best in every situation a la Sanguinetti and he is not in the current mix.

The Comets fan base wishes tot thank David Shields for his contributions to the Comets effort and wish him the best in the rest of his hockey career. Hope you enjoyed your stay in the Mohawk Valley and know you are always welcome here.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
Don't get me wrong. It's not something I wouldn't like to see. I just can't wrap my brain around the likelihood after the fiascos of the past 2 seasons. I keep telling myself not to get optimistic until there is absolute proof.

i think a part of it had to do with the expansion draft. they needed to meet the requirements, hence Megna and Biega's contracts. Chaput had a pretty easy argument for the one way when you look at Megna's deal, which was also signed this offseason.

It is a change but i don't see what the team could be doing other than actually loading up depth. There is not enough space. money is going to be headed to the AHL and a lot more then we are used to seeing.

I don't see more then maybe one guy being a waiver pickup. Utica should be much better on paper this season.

I am a little curious what Aquilini's thoughts are on this. It is nickels and dimes in the context of nhl salaries but it adds up quickly. Curious if it is just a salary budget for the season or if he just gave the go ahead to provide depth and a hopefully winning environment for prospects to develop in.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
i think a part of it had to do with the expansion draft. they needed to meet the requirements, hence Megna and Biega's contracts. Chaput had a pretty easy argument for the one way when you look at Megna's deal, which was also signed this offseason.

It is a change but i don't see what the team could be doing other than actually loading up depth. There is not enough space. money is going to be headed to the AHL and a lot more then we are used to seeing.

I don't see more then maybe one guy being a waiver pickup. Utica should be much better on paper this season.

I am a little curious what Aquilini's thoughts are on this. It is nickels and dimes in the context of nhl salaries but it adds up quickly. Curious if it is just a salary budget for the season or if he just gave the go ahead to provide depth and a hopefully winning environment for prospects to develop in.

"Curious if it is just a salary budget for the season or if he just gave the go ahead to provide depth and a hopefully winning environment for prospects to develop in."

Wouldn't that just be an amazing concept?

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
The following players were Comets last season and have not been re-signed. I have made comments on each for this season

Cody Kunyk - #4 among the team's point leaders. Would be a decent fit on a third line based on what gets sent down. He is not a 4th line checker.

Colby Robak - The team's #1 D-man without question. Unless a player of this caliber is added, he should be re-signed. His veteran presence in all aspects of the game is not in the current mix and that includes the newcomers.

Pascal Pelletier - He was an attempted stop gap for the lack of a #1 center. He played his heart out and gave all he had, but age has claimed his game.

Rendulic - He could be a fit on the 4th line with Hamilton and Bancks. He's big and checks hard. He has a scoring touch which he revealed for a short stretch and then was injured and wasn't displayed again. I think someone will sign him as a free agent if Vancouver/Utica don't.

Zalewski - 2 concussions and a neck injury took him out of his game. Unless he's overcome them, his career could be done. Vancouver opted not to re-sign him. Hopefully Utica doesn't do the sentimental thing and sign the local boy. That was a good idea when he was producing. I'd wait until after camp to see if his game is back first.

Roy - he never made an positive headway with the Comets. He was up and down between here and Alaska. I don't see any value in keeping him on the roster. The Zoo would be okay, but not Utica.

John Negrin - He is a serviceable D-man, but not sure he wants to stay on in that capacity, but not convinced any team gives any better option. He's up in the air at the moment. Utica's camp could be the decisive moment, if he is even invited. I think Aquaman will at least insist upon that much.

Michael Garteig - the Comets will have to have somebody under contract in Kalamazoo with enough talent to possibly spend a great deal of time in Utica and probably get some game time. Michael fits that role, but he came out of Quinnipiac as a top notch NCAA tender getting his team to the Final 4. I'm sure he takes a better gig if he can get it.

Max French - ATO added after the end of his career at Bentley College. Did not play in a game. He has SIGNED with the Texas Stars.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Would tend to agree that unless kids like Dahlen, Goldobin, Boeser, Juolevi and Holm are lights-out in training camp and outplay the veterans by a wide margin, the easiest thing to do is send them to Utica as waiver-exempt players or in Juolevi's case back to junior.

But I really hope that's not the way Benning and Green play it....this year is all about building for the future.....and realistically, guys like Chaput, Megna, Wiercioch, Burmistrov and even Biega aren't likely to be part of that future.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
This is potentially ludicrous. Neither Biega or Wiercioch is going to score Brennan's team leading 60 points with 21 goals but would make more than twice as much money. This is just crazy.

I've tried to explain this to you before. My view is that the Canucks have no problems spending money on their AHL team. They just prefer to spend it on guys that they think can be useful callups. So a guy like Cracknell has more value to the Canucks than a Cal O'Reilly whom the Canucks didn't call up to play. I know you prefer an AHL 1st line C who never plays an NHL game to a Cracknell type.

There is no ludicrousy. Biega and Wiercioch were/are better Dmen at the NHL level. They are hence better "depth" for NHL teams than a guy like Brennan. It's a simple value decision. Would you rather pay a lesser AHL player that you think can be a good callup option to fill in on the bottom lines/pair? Or an AHL all star whom you don't see as a good callup option. The longer a guy spends not having played at the NHL level, the more unlikely he is going to make it back to the NHL. That's just reality. And who knows what type of numbers Wiercioch can put up at the AHL level. Last time he was there, he put up 10 goals 19 points in 32 games.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
I've tried to explain this to you before. My view is that the Canucks have no problems spending money on their AHL team. They just prefer to spend it on guys that they think can be useful callups. So a guy like Cracknell has more value to the Canucks than a Cal O'Reilly whom the Canucks didn't call up to play. I know you prefer an AHL 1st line C who never plays an NHL game to a Cracknell type.

There is no ludicrousy. Biega and Wiercioch were/are better Dmen at the NHL level. They are hence better "depth" for NHL teams than a guy like Brennan. It's a simple value decision. Would you rather pay a lesser AHL player that you think can be a good callup option to fill in on the bottom lines/pair? Or an AHL all star whom you don't see as a good callup option. The longer a guy spends not having played at the NHL level, the more unlikely he is going to make it back to the NHL. That's just reality. And who knows what type of numbers Wiercioch can put up at the AHL level. Last time he was there, he put up 10 goals 19 points in 32 games.

Stupid excuse.

Good AHL vets=Good AHL team

Good AHL team=Good development and environment for prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->