The two SoCal sweeps of this playoffs were not surprising at all.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
I'll take three years of extreme success over 20 years of being a running "choke" joke.

Congrats on the second round though, maybe you guys can hang another banner for it.
So much talk with nothing to show for. Hopefully they get another Western conference banner to add to their collection.

Reactions: 3firstnames

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
yeah and the Kings took 45 (forty-five) years to win their first. The Sharks have 20 years to catch up, and by then we'll probably have at least 5.

The Kings never had the 10 year run your team has had with a stacked team.You had Thornton and Marleau in their prime . How many years did we hear "this is year the Sharks will do it" . It was a broken fricken record. Lombardi was your GM, yet never won it [twice] until he joined the Kings as their GM.

3firstnames

Dabbler. Dilettante.
Apr 18, 2018
Long Beach
As much as I want Vegas to take it all, I'm still surprised that a team with LA's pedigree went down without a fight. That team still scares me.
Pedigree doesn't mean much when you have a bottom 6 that can't score and the star players aren't the star players (outside of quick and kopitar)

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
A few more facts and stats to add to this thread:

* The one series in the West that most predicted would be a sweep, NSH/COL, is the only one still playing and going to a Game 6.

* During the regular season, NSH had a CF% of 51.51% (9th) and COL had a CF% of 47.58% (27th).

* During this playoff series, NSH has had a CF% of 53.95% (3rd) and COL has had a CF% of 46.05 (14th).

Add that to the stats from the others series that I posted earlier and there is simply no basis for predicting sweeps based on Corsi.

Reactions: razor8 and AMDZen

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
The difference is Anaheim got beat by the better team. LA got beat by the healthier team.

Nah man, we got spanked. They've got to own the loss or they don't improve. I don't want to hear excuses from Blake and co. The kings got bent over and injuries are just an excuse.

Reactions: PopaneNightscare

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
I love how the OP posts a bunch of numbers to prove how advanced analytics show A+B=C.

When it turns out it actually disproves it and A+B actually = 3

Love me some great thread back fireage

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Nah man, we got spanked. They've got to own the loss or they don't improve. I don't want to hear excuses from Blake and co. The kings got bent over and injuries are just an excuse.
Nah not at all. They barely won each game, could barely score and had a goal differential of less than one per game per 60 min. And this is despite having the puck so much.

If we make our routine plays clearing out zone, they don't even average a goal a game. It's not like when we wrecked St. Louis in a sweep back in 2012.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
yeah and the Kings took 45 (forty-five) years to win their first. The Sharks have 20 years to catch up, and by then we'll probably have at least 5.
now that right there, is some major league hubris

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Nah not at all. They barely won each game, could barely score and had a goal differential of less than one per game per 60 min. And this is despite having the puck so much.

If we make our routine plays clearing out zone, they don't even average a goal a game. It's not like when we wrecked St. Louis in a sweep back in 2012.

Still doesn't solve the Kings scoring woes. You can't beat the other team if you can't score, no matter how good your defense is.

A clutch goal-scorer like Gaborik is gone. Toffoli has been invisible since January. Pearson is not a big scorer.

Kingspiracy has the right attitude. The team got spanked and they need producers. Next year, make some quality signings, get Gabe Vilardi up there and give LaDue some leeway to make plays and they can provide an offensive spark.

Rorschach

Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Still doesn't solve the Kings scoring woes. You can't beat the other team if you can't score, no matter how good your defense is.

A clutch goal-scorer like Gaborik is gone. Toffoli has been invisible since January. Pearson is not a big scorer.

Kingspiracy has the right attitude. The team got spanked and they need producers. Next year, make some quality signings, get Gabe Vilardi up there and give LaDue some leeway to make plays and they can provide an offensive spark.

The defense leads to offense. Defense leads to possession in the offensive zone. The less time and effort your forwards spend in your own zone, the more offense your players can generate. The amount of time you spend with the puck in the attack zone, the more opportunities there are to generate chances.

And the better your defensemen can handle the puck, the more dynamic your offense can be, to confound other teams' defenses. I mean I thought all of this was apparent already since the time of Bobby Orr. It's the reason why the Senators were able to score goals despite having only a couple of guys that can score goals, because Karlsson's handling and passing of the puck.

On the Kings, they play defense first. If some defensemen can't play defense well, the forwards and the other defensemen have to cover for them, greatly reducing scoring chances.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
lol you think the 2005-2015 teams were stacked? shows how little you know about hockey in general.

and I wouldn't talk about wasting players prime. You guys literally had Gretzky in his prime and couldn't win **** all.

Seriously, you want to talk about stacked teams. Gretzky, Kerri, McSorley...no Cups. Didn't get any until they became the awkward, inferior third wheel of that three headed tank monster. The Kings tanked for Doughty and the assets they used to acquire Mike Richards; the Sharks have been a model organization for years and are still a contender, while LA is dead. They're going to have to tank again pretty soon because they're pretty clearly not a contender or even a team that can win a playoff game more than once in 4 years; next year they'll probably make it a half decade!

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
The defense leads to offense. Defense leads to possession in the offensive zone. The less time and effort your forwards spend in your own zone, the more offense your players can generate. The amount of time you spend with the puck in the attack zone, the more opportunities there are to generate chances.

And the better your defensemen can handle the puck, the more dynamic your offense can be, to confound other teams' defenses. I mean I thought all of this was apparent already since the time of Bobby Orr. It's the reason why the Senators were able to score goals despite having only a couple of guys that can score goals, because Karlsson's handling and passing of the puck.

On the Kings, they play defense first. If some defensemen can't play defense well, the forwards and the other defensemen have to cover for them, greatly reducing scoring chances.

Muzzin returned for the last two games and LA still scored only two goals in two games. The only missing defenseman those last two games was Forbort. Surely, you're not suggesting that Forbort, whose career high is 18 points, is the cog that makes the whole Kings offense work. You seem to be trying to connect any dots to deny that the team got outmatched and fairly beaten. Making excuses just gives Blake and company cover to do less than is needed to get the team back to being competitive.

Last edited:

Rorschach

Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Muzzin returned for the last two games and LA still couldn't average better than a goal for per game. The only missing defenseman those last two games was Forbort. Surely, you're not going to tell us that Forbort, whose career high is 18pts in 82gms, is the cog that makes the entire Kings offense work. You seem to be trying to connect any dots to deny that the team got outmatched and fairly beaten. As Kingspiracy said, they got spanked. Making excuses just gives Blake and company cover for doing less than is needed to get the team back to being competitive.

So you're saying Muzzin came back 100% right?

Losing 1-0 is not a spanking. Vegas got lucky.

seroes

May 3, 2016
California
Quick played out of his mind in this series. That is the only reason it was so close. And yes the king's had injuries heading into the series. But this is sports. Injuries happen. When players are hurt others are supposed to step up. The king's just didn't. Outside of Quick anyways.

As for history, well yes the king's have historically been a more successful team with the cups to prove it. The sharks have not been able to capitalize on the great teams they have had over the years. That doesn't change the makeup of the teams now though. The sharks are the better team today. Does that change the fact that the king's were better? Nope. Do the king's cups change that they got crushed in the first round over the last few years? Nope. Does the sharks being better now change that they squandered great chances at the cup over the last ten years? Nope.

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
Quick played out of his mind in this series. That is the only reason it was so close. And yes the king's had injuries heading into the series. But this is sports. Injuries happen. When players are hurt others are supposed to step up. The king's just didn't. Outside of Quick anyways.

As for history, well yes the king's have historically been a more successful team with the cups to prove it. The sharks have not been able to capitalize on the great teams they have had over the years. That doesn't change the makeup of the teams now though. The sharks are the better team today. Does that change the fact that the king's were better? Nope. Do the king's cups change that they got crushed in the first round over the last few years? Nope. Does the sharks being better now change that they squandered great chances at the cup over the last ten years? Nope.

Im sure you're missing some choking somewhere along the way.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
The difference is Anaheim got beat by the better team. LA got beat by the healthier team.

Vegas outpaced LA all year and swept them in the playoffs. Sorry but Vegas earned their stripes as the better team in the first and second season now. Time to start giving them some credit.

Reactions: Kingspiracy

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
So you're saying Muzzin came back 100% right?

You're saying that the entire Kings offense rests on the difference between an 80% Muzzin and a 100% Muzzin? Do you really believe that or do you just want to believe it so that you can write Vegas off as "lucky" to have won?

Regardless of whether he was, technically, "100%" or not, his performance in those two games was still 100% Muzzin. He turned the puck over multiple times, blew his coverage multiple times and took a tripping penalty, things that he always does, anyways. Recovering from a separated shoulder is no excuse for making bad decisions and being caught flat-footed. It's not like he was recovering from the flu, a viral infection or a fractured foot. A healing shoulder might've been an excuse if his breakout passes were poor, but they were as good as ever... and it still made no difference to the Kings' offense. For all intents and purposes, they got their old Muzzin back... and they still had the same problems and they still lost.

Edit: If Couturier could put up the performance that he did with a torn MCL, returning from a separated shoulder (a less serious injury, not just in severity, but also in impact on hockey effectiveness) is no excuse for Muzzin.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->