The two SoCal sweeps of this playoffs were not surprising at all.

Sensators

Sep 15, 2009
I thought the kings had a good chance against the knights. They had a good goal differential, top PK, and top goals against in the league, which are all associated with success in the playoffs. Furthermore if you take the analytics from Feb 1-End of the season LAKings analytics are not good, but Vegas analytics are bad as well.
LAK Corsi 49.4 Fenwick 49.82 SCF% 47.55 HDCF% 46.83 (6th last in NHL)
VGK Corsi 50.37 Fenwick 49.2 SCF% 49.93 HDCF% 44.36 (last in NHL)

So yes, the edge probably should have gone to VGK but neither team is very good analytically and expecting a sweep from someone with the worst HDCF% in the last 2 months of the season seems peculiar. This series was closer than a sweep indicates.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Docgonzo

Triple Crown Line
Jan 9, 2010
Chino, Ca

lol that it? all you can do is talk about the past LA?

Let's talk about the future, with your team being in the Pacific basement for the next decade while Vegas and SJ steamrolls the division.

Mother****ing Arizona will win a Cup before you win your next one.

Yes because the Sharks roster of Pavelski, Thornton, Burns, Martin, Braun are ever so young.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Then those people missed when they were in the Finals two years ago.

And lost. They lived off their pp, and once the Pens shut it down they had nothing. They have been the ultimate playoff disappointment even with the SCF spot and the 10 years of hype they've gotten. They had one of the best cores in their prime , yet never won it.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
The Kings have won just 1 single playoff game since their last Cup. I think that's all that needs to be said about the direction they are heading.

Reactions: LuG61

NOLAPensFan

Feb 19, 2014
so let me get this straight..by the logic presented, if the 1st round in the Pacific was between LA and Anaheim, LA would win? Lol.... LA has some glaring problems ...the first one being speed. Anaheim problem is scoring. They have struggled to score after Eaves got sick. Kase tried to pick it up in the season but for some reason has been quiet.
People forget that San Jose is an elite team. Mark my words. San Jose is a better team than both the Jets and Predators. I actually think Jumbo might slow them down a bit and stand to benefit from NOT having him in their lineup (on the other hand their powerplay would be absolutely lethal if Jumbo plays)
I have no idea why so many people were talking about Knights losing the series. It's as if people never watched Kings games. They had a really hard time keeping up with teams that had any speed in their lineup throughout the season.
At least Anaheim covered for that during the season with their excellent young defense corps. The loss of Fowler was that much more telling which way the series was going to go. The credit should go though to SJ.
HF is denying this truth because people are sleeping on Jones. That motherf***er is money in the playoffs.

Hellbucyk (sp?) is untested in the playoffs and Rinne, well, he's just too good right now...:naughty:

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
The Kings have won just 1 single playoff game since their last Cup. I think that's all that needs to be said about the direction they are heading.

The Sharks have won 20 [14 in one season mind you] and have ZERO cups to show for it. Same amount of Cups the Kings have after they won their 2nd in 3 years.

Reactions: Legionnaire
Feb 24, 2017
Let's be honest, the advanced stats committee isn't surprised by the two SoCal teams that both got swept. LA and Anaheim were 16th and 22nd in CF% respectively. 18th and 22nd in FF% respectively. 18th and 22nd in SF% respectively. Unlike Minnesota and Colorado who at least did well limiting quality chances (Minnesota one of the best teams in this category), LA and especially Anaheim were mep (Anaheim was flat out bad) in this category. They also got a ton of favourable bounces and calls go their ways this season. If Winnipeg and Nashville defeat their opposition in game 5, this will be the first time in a long time where advanced stats have truly dictated the game and it's about time, because we need some justice for actual objective analytics instead of biased eye test.
You sound biased, too, towards what you have decided is better.

caliamad

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
I knew ANAHEIM wasn’t strong but the way they ended the season and how San Jose ended theirs, I thought they had a 50/50 to win 7 and I think I’m pretty objective for a fan. San Jose definitely has had our number for a number season, but anyone who predicted a sweep is a little full of themselves.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
The Sharks have won 20 [14 in one season mind you] and have ZERO cups to show for it. Same amount of Cups the Kings have after they won their 2nd in 3 years.

yeah and the Kings took 45 (forty-five) years to win their first. The Sharks have 20 years to catch up, and by then we'll probably have at least 5.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009

Um... up? Kings fans this season weren’t expecting a deep cup run. Once Carter got injured, we weren’t even expecting the playoffs. Injuries hurt the Kings in the playoffs. But there are a lot of bright spots, too! Iafallo, Kempe, Amadio, Brodzinski, LaDue, Fantenberg, and Gravel all played in the playoffs as rookies (aside from Brodz, who played a number of games during the regular season). That’s a lot of youth coming in! Not to mention Vilardi and potentially Anderson-Dolan, Brickley, and Clague coming in.

Kings looked pretty bad against Vegas, no doubt about it, but the Kings have a brighter future than many give them credit for.

CowMix

Go Kings Go!
Feb 12, 2006
yeah and the Kings took 45 (forty-five) years to win their first. The Sharks have 20 years to catch up, and by then we'll probably have at least 5.

LOL so you think the Sharks will have a dynasty sometime in the next 20 years? Thats the only way any team would win 5+ cups.

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com

I meant SJ has won zero games since winning their last Cup but this is also correct.

Bizz is the posterboy for hope springing eternal with that five Cups over the next 25 years trash.

Reactions: PuckTenderizingMeat

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

I'll take three years of extreme success over 20 years of being a running "choke" joke.

Congrats on the second round though, maybe you guys can hang another banner for it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad