The two SoCal sweeps of this playoffs were not surprising at all.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Let's be honest, the advanced stats committee isn't surprised by the two SoCal teams that both got swept. LA and Anaheim were 16th and 22nd in CF% respectively. 18th and 22nd in FF% respectively. 18th and 22nd in SF% respectively. Unlike Minnesota and Colorado who at least did well limiting quality chances (Minnesota one of the best teams in this category), LA and especially Anaheim were mep (Anaheim was flat out bad) in this category. They also got a ton of favourable bounces and calls go their ways this season. If Winnipeg and Nashville defeat their opposition in game 5, this will be the first time in a long time where advanced stats have truly dictated the game and it's about time, because we need some justice for actual objective analytics instead of biased eye test.

Last edited:

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
San Jose and Vegas weren't elite teams by the analytics either though. Anaheim is really the only team that's far from the pack in CF%.

SJ was elite in FF% and CF% close though and it showed in this series.

Vegas wasn't elite sure, but they were still better than LA and ANA and they are also better at preventing quality chances.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Vegas wasn't elite sure, but they were still better than LA and ANA and they are also better at preventing quality chances.

If these idiot GMs paid more attention to analytics and less attention to narratives, one of Anaheim or Calgary might have acquired Evander Kane at the TDL and not been completely destroyed by him in the playoffs.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Just like last year, when you weren't surprised Pittsburgh (16th in CF%), Anaheim (19th) and Ottawa (22nd) made out 3/4 of the conference final teams, am I right? ;)

As if one needs enhanced stats to realize the Ducks have sucked all season. But thanks for letting us know.

dig1

Mar 1, 2015
so let me get this straight..by the logic presented, if the 1st round in the Pacific was between LA and Anaheim, LA would win? Lol.... LA has some glaring problems ...the first one being speed. Anaheim problem is scoring. They have struggled to score after Eaves got sick. Kase tried to pick it up in the season but for some reason has been quiet.
People forget that San Jose is an elite team. Mark my words. San Jose is a better team than both the Jets and Predators. I actually think Jumbo might slow them down a bit and stand to benefit from NOT having him in their lineup (on the other hand their powerplay would be absolutely lethal if Jumbo plays)
I have no idea why so many people were talking about Knights losing the series. It's as if people never watched Kings games. They had a really hard time keeping up with teams that had any speed in their lineup throughout the season.
At least Anaheim covered for that during the season with their excellent young defense corps. The loss of Fowler was that much more telling which way the series was going to go. The credit should go though to SJ.

SugarSherm

The One and Only
Aug 25, 2012
Augusta, Georgia
Both the Ducks and Kings losing their series was not surprising. Both of them getting swept is though. I dont think you could find one person in the world who honestly thought both of these series would end in a sweep.

Mathew Barzal

Walk It Like I Tocchet
Jun 5, 2011
Vancouver, BC
LA wasn't surprising, but I really thought Anaheim had another gear.

Silfverbergs emergence last year as a playoff performer and the acquisition of Henrique looked good for them.

atilla the honeybun

Apr 12, 2011
here
so let me get this straight..by the logic presented, if the 1st round in the Pacific was between LA and Anaheim, LA would win? Lol.... LA has some glaring problems ...the first one being speed. Anaheim problem is scoring. They have struggled to score after Eaves got sick. Kase tried to pick it up in the season but for some reason has been quiet.
People forget that San Jose is an elite team. Mark my words. San Jose is a better team than both the Jets and Predators. I actually think Jumbo might slow them down a bit and stand to benefit from NOT having him in their lineup (on the other hand their powerplay would be absolutely lethal if Jumbo plays)
I have no idea why so many people were talking about Knights losing the series. It's as if people never watched Kings games. They had a really hard time keeping up with teams that had any speed in their lineup throughout the season.
At least Anaheim covered for that during the season with their excellent young defense corps. The loss of Fowler was that much more telling which way the series was going to go. The credit should go though to SJ.
No

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017
About LA sweep. But...but....but the defense is so important in play-offs and it wins cups they say. :sarcasm:

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark

On paper they aren't even as scary. They have Burns and Vlasic, but their defense after that is mep. Nashville's Dcore is easily far superior. Winnipeg's is better because of depth. If Myers is on your third pair you have excellent RHD depth. Winnipeg's structure is ebtter, better forwards both offensively and defensively. Wheeler is a super underrated defensive winger. Stastny is excellent, Ehlers is a great possession player. Lowry and Armia are awesome defensively and provide a ton of spark, etc. Preds also have a slightly better forward squad with Thornton's declines. Goaltending also favours both Winnipeg and Nashville, although Jones is an elite playoffs goalie.

Fatty McLardy

Oct 6, 2017
Umm. The Kings lost to a better defensive team.

Seriously, Vegas played so good defensively and Fleury made the saves he needed to. But i was really impressed how every forward on the knights played a solid two way game. Didn't see one player dog it in d-zone, on top of that they have a very mobile defense back there. Now we'll see how they play against a SJ team that has way more depth than the kings.

Saskatoon

Aug 24, 2006
Saskatoon
On paper they aren't even as scary. They have Burns and Vlasic, but their defense after that is mep. Nashville's Dcore is easily far superior. Winnipeg's is better because of depth. If Myers is on your third pair you have excellent RHD depth. Winnipeg's structure is ebtter, better forwards both offensively and defensively. Wheeler is a super underrated defensive winger. Stastny is excellent, Ehlers is a great possession player. Lowry and Armia are awesome defensively and provide a ton of spark, etc. Preds also have a slightly better forward squad with Thornton's declines. Goaltending also favours both Winnipeg and Nashville, although Jones is an elite playoffs goalie.

I agree Nashville and Winnipeg look the best on paper. I won't be surprised which one of NSH, WPG, SJS, or VGK make the cup final though. The teams are close enough that injuries, bad calls, lucky bounces, crazy saves all could send any of these teams to the Cup final without too much of a stretch imho

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Both the Ducks and Kings losing their series was not surprising. Both of them getting swept is though. I dont think you could find one person in the world who honestly thought both of these series would end in a sweep.
I picked a sweep between San Jose and Anaheim.... unfortunately I picked the wrong team to sweep :laugh:

Reactions: Kingspiracy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad