The Transformers thread (shows, comics, toys, all things TF)

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Wally Burr passes away.

It is with sadness that we report Walter “Wally” Burr, the voice director for the original Generation 1 Transformers cartoon and the 1986 Transformers the Movie, passed away yesterday, 9 July, 2017.

in the case of Transformers, he voiced Kremzeek, as well as Jazz, Ratchet, Seaspray, and Thundercracker in individual episodes when their regular voice actors were unavailable.

http://news.tfw2005.com/2017/07/10/wally-burr-passes-away-343675

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
That's sad.

It was easy to pick out when he was subbing for another VA though. He barely bothered to try and sound like whoever he was replacing.

I've also heard talk that some of the VAs from the series disliked working under him because he was really strict about how he wanted lines read. the VAs were supposed to get in the booth, do what he said, and get out. They couldn't really explore or develop characters themselves.

Doesn't make it any less sad that he's gone though. We're getting to the time where a lot of the G1 cast/crew who isn't already gone are going to start passing en masse.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Transformers: Titans Return voice cast announced.

The series is the second installment in the Transformers “Prime Wars” trilogy. “Titans Return” will premiere in November.

The series comprises 10 episodes, each about 11 minutes long.

Peter Cullen as Optimus Prime

Judd Nelson as Rodimus Prime

Will Wheaton as Perceptor

Michael Dorn as Fortress Maximus

Nolan North as Metroplex

Jason David Frank as Emissary

Abby Trott as Windblade

Jason Marnocha as Megatron

Frank Todaro as Starscream

Lana McKissack as Mistress of Flame

Dashie Games as Menasor

http://news.tfw2005.com/2017/07/18/...s-peter-cullen-judd-nelson-wil-wheaton-344474

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
Transformers: Titans Return voice cast announced.

The series is the second installment in the Transformers “Prime Warsâ€Â trilogy. “Titans Returnâ€Â will premiere in November.

The series comprises 10 episodes, each about 11 minutes long.

Peter Cullen as Optimus Prime

Judd Nelson as Rodimus Prime

Will Wheaton as Perceptor

Michael Dorn as Fortress Maximus

Nolan North as Metroplex

Jason David Frank as Emissary

Abby Trott as Windblade

Jason Marnocha as Megatron

Frank Todaro as Starscream

Lana McKissack as Mistress of Flame

Dashie Games as Menasor

http://news.tfw2005.com/2017/07/18/...s-peter-cullen-judd-nelson-wil-wheaton-344474

Worf is Fortress Maximus.
No Welker as Megs!?

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Worf is Fortress Maximus.
No Welker as Megs!?

Frank Welker gets a ton of work still. It's possiblet he was too busy or out of their price range. The latter seems possible because once you get past Cullen and Nelson, the other voices are like 3 b-tier/sci-fi niche stunt castings (Wheaton, Dorn, and Frank) 1 legit top notch voice actor (North) and a whole bunch of "who?"

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I've said before that I don't necessarily love the current series (Robots in Disguise) because it's trying to be both a sorta-continuation of Prime, but also a lot lighter in tone than Prime was (more along the lines of Animated or the goofier aspects of G1).

But I've soldiered on through it and this season I got a reward:

Soundwave's back. vocoder-processed G1 voice and all (yes, it's still Frank Welker).

i forgot how much I've missed that voice. For now he only appears sporadically as a voice, presumably building up to him being the big villain for the latter part of the season.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Saw the new Transformers, while I try to ignore many of the corny jokes, i enjoyed it for the most part. I was huge into the cartoons as a kid so its hard or me to dislike these moves. Can't wait to see unicron. Hope he is a cool as the transformers movie from the 80's where he tried to destroy Cybertron

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
I've said before that I don't necessarily love the current series (Robots in Disguise) because it's trying to be both a sorta-continuation of Prime, but also a lot lighter in tone than Prime was (more along the lines of Animated or the goofier aspects of G1).

But I've soldiered on through it and this season I got a reward:

Soundwave's back. vocoder-processed G1 voice and all (yes, it's still Frank Welker).

i forgot how much I've missed that voice. For now he only appears sporadically as a voice, presumably building up to him being the big villain for the latter part of the season.

I agree, it's how Soundwave should sound.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Today at Hascon 2017 released a video of the new Dinobot Combiner, Volcanicus.

http://news.tfw2005.com/2017/09/08/...ital-designs-video-featuring-predaking-348417

DSC05145.jpg

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Today at Hascon 2017 released a video of the new Dinobot Combiner, Volcanicus.

http://news.tfw2005.com/2017/09/08/...ital-designs-video-featuring-predaking-348417

That's a rather janky looking combiner form. It's all limbs and no body, which seems odd for a team that's as beefy as the Dinobots.

What I am excited for about that though is the very strong G1-influenced individual dinobots.

PotP_Grimlock.jpg

004-Transformers-Generations-Power-Of-The-Primes-Dinobot-Slug.jpg

005-Transformers-Generations-Power-Of-The-Primes-Dinobot-Sludge.jpg

002-Transformers-Generations-Power-Of-The-Primes-Dinobot-Swoop.jpg

003-Transformers-Generations-Power-Of-The-Primes-Dinobot-Snarl.jpg

Along with a brand new 6th dinobot that, ironically, has nothing to do with the combiner (because you'd think the reason they would introduce a new one would be to facilitate the combiner setup better, rather than not include it at all)

006-Transformers-Generations-Power-Of-The-Primes-Dinobot-Slash.jpg

Slash also gets to make history as the first female Dinobot to be made into a toy (there was a weird 2-headed monster version in one of the IDW comics)

Slash and Grimlock are a little fat around the midsection, but the others look outstanding. I never got Snarl as a kid*, and he was always my favorite because I loved the stegosaurus, and that always bummed me out. So the opportunity to get a modern one excites me.

Also lol, "Slug". Had to change Slag's name because it's inappropriate in some places. :laugh:

*I actually got a G2 Snarl in a clearance bin at a K-Mart, but I opened it up in the car and found that the spring in his hand to pop it out of the dino leg was broken, so we took it back into the store and returned it but they never found me a replacement.

Reactions: Guardian17

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
That's sad.

It was easy to pick out when he was subbing for another VA though. He barely bothered to try and sound like whoever he was replacing.

I've also heard talk that some of the VAs from the series disliked working under him because he was really strict about how he wanted lines read. the VAs were supposed to get in the booth, do what he said, and get out. They couldn't really explore or develop characters themselves.

Doesn't make it any less sad that he's gone though. We're getting to the time where a lot of the G1 cast/crew who isn't already gone are going to start passing en masse.
I think I'll be more upset when Peter Cullen dies than my own father, because of Optimus Prime :laugh: I probably learned more from him.

Reactions: Baby Punisher

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
That's a rather janky looking combiner form. It's all limbs and no body, which seems odd for a team that's as beefy as the Dinobots.

What I am excited for about that though is the very strong G1-influenced individual dinobots.

Slash also gets to make history as the first female Dinobot to be made into a toy (there was a weird 2-headed monster version in one of the IDW comics)

Slash and Grimlock are a little fat around the midsection, but the others look outstanding. I never got Snarl as a kid*, and he was always my favorite because I loved the stegosaurus, and that always bummed me out. So the opportunity to get a modern one excites me.

Also lol, "Slug". Had to change Slag's name because it's inappropriate in some places. :laugh:

*I actually got a G2 Snarl in a clearance bin at a K-Mart, but I opened it up in the car and found that the spring in his hand to pop it out of the dino leg was broken, so we took it back into the store and returned it but they never found me a replacement.
Slag is melted steel, and the name derived from his super-hot fire breath, so it really sucks they changed his name, especially to something demeaning to the character, because it's a term for a prostitute in British slang. I hate it when people co-opt a perfectly normal word for something bad, then the overly-sensitive decide no one can use that word anymore because of the hijacked meaning.

I had all the Dinobots as a kid (one of the few collections I was able to complete of any kind) - definitely liked Snarl the best.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guardian17

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Along with a brand new 6th dinobot that, ironically, has nothing to do with the combiner (because you'd think the reason they would introduce a new one would be to facilitate the combiner setup better, rather than not include it at all)

That's cool they made a female Dinobot!

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
The one thing I don't love about those dinobot designs, though it may be the art style of the promos, is that it looks like they all have clear 'shells' overlaying their heads. It looks kind of awkward.

In other news, I finally (mostly against my will) saw the last movie (The Last Knight). Wow. Calling it a dumpster fire seems like it's too kind. That was a special, special, special kind of awful.

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY

PotP_Grimlock.jpg

004-Transformers-Generations-Power-Of-The-Primes-Dinobot-Slug.jpg

005-Transformers-Generations-Power-Of-The-Primes-Dinobot-Sludge.jpg

002-Transformers-Generations-Power-Of-The-Primes-Dinobot-Swoop.jpg

003-Transformers-Generations-Power-Of-The-Primes-Dinobot-Snarl.jpg

I had all the G1 Dinobots. Slag was my favorite.

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
I hate you. :sarcasm:

I just had a G2 Grimlock. And, like I said, a G2 Snarl for about 20 minutes. I remember begging my mom not to return it. I told her I didn't care. The tears of like 8 or 9 year old me didn't matter, we weren't buying something that was broken. :laugh:
My Mother through all my Transformers out when I was like 13. I never got over that.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
My Mother through all my Transformers out when I was like 13. I never got over that.

ouch. My mom wouldn't do that. Because of a story I think I've told here before:

one of my dad's co-worker's sons had a ton of transformers. He had the entire G1 Defensor among others. I never got to see them, but it was apparently a lot. And he was like 4 or 5 years older than me. He was getting to the point where he didn't want toys anymore as he was hitting his teen years and my mom, knowing they wouldn't likely keep any of it, asked his mom if she'd be willing to give or sell the transformers to me because I liked them so much. But when she asked it was already too late. His mom had thrown them all in the garbage. Didn't even give them to goodwill or anything, just out in the trash. She thought that was super dumb. And basically promised that if I ever didn't want my toys anymore, she'd either ask me what to do with them or make sure she didn't know anyone who wanted them.

I ended up keeping most of them simply because I had younger cousins and kids of family friends who would come over and need toys to play with. And our house had a rec room with enough spare space to accommodate a few big rubbermaid buckets to store everything. At least until I took the transformers back and put them on a shelf.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
The final episodes of the current series, Robots in Disguise, aired today in the UK and will air next Saturday in North America.

According to the TF wiki, the next series will be subtitled "Cyberverse." There's not much info out there except that it's supposed to be "Character and mythology driven" and that it will first air in 2018 with a follow-up "chapter" in 2019. There's no word on whether or not it will tie to Prime/RiD, but the art style at least looks very strongly evocative of Transformers Animated from the early 2000s with a fair bit of G1 flair on Bumblebee. Unfortunately this makes it look reeeeeeaaaaallly kiddy. That said, Animated was actually a lot of fun because it was packed to the spark casing with G1 callbacks, references, and gags and actually had a pretty dramatic plot in the latter half of its run, focusing heavily on the great war and its fallout.

Transformers-Cyberverse-Bumblebee-Windblade-Optimus-Prime.jpg

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Transformers Titans Return Episode 1 - Aftermath and Rebirth

Transformers Titans Return Episode 2 - Our Heroes Respond

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Transformers Generation 1 Season 3 soundtrack restoration complete.

We’ve been waiting for a long time for an official soundtrack release – one that is promised to be coming, someday, soon, allegedly – but in the meantime, a dedicated group of fans have taken it on themselves to painstakingly restore every single piece of Generation 1’s background music. Three seasons, 98 episodes, hundreds of tracks.

Today, that project has reached its completion. The fan restoration of Transformers Generation 1’s soundtrack has produced a copy of the music for Generation 1 season 3. The season brought us huge amounts of music inspired by Vince DiCola’s work on the 1986 animated movie, together with some truly excellent battle themes that reflected the futuristic tone the show took in its third season.

Transformers Generation 1 Season 3 soundtrack restoration complete - Transformers News - TFW2005

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Usually every year around Christmas I watch a bunch of episodes of old transformers stuff to get into the appropriate mindset (ie being a kid again on Christmas morning). In the past I've marathoned as much as I could in order, scheduled to watch the whole g1 over a month or so, and picked a personal best of/top 10.

With like 13 nights to go, I'm thinking maybe I do something different: what do you guys think I should watch? I'm willing to take suggestions and report back/review the choices.

I can watch stuff from:
All of g1
Any of the g1 Japanese sequel series (headmasters, super god masterforce)
Beast wars
Animated (the early 2000s series)
Prime
Robots in Disguise (prime sequel series, not the anime)
Maybe those recent webseries

I'l try to make at least a 10 day run if I can. So... thoughts/suggestions?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad