The transformation of Wojtek Wolski

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
The first 3.5 years in the OHL = decent prospect but not a franchise player;then after a disappointing first half (probably sulking after he almost made the Avs for keeps but was sent back to Brampton --more likely due to the 7 year clock under the new CBA than anything else) and deemed not good enough to be invited to the Team Canada U-20 final camp selection before the WJHC,his coach moves him to centre at Christmas--since then he's been EN FUEGO! I've watched him 3 times in the last couple of weeks and each time he looks like he always should have played centre--he looks like a natural centre--far more able and at ease than he ever did at wing--in fact if you ask me now who is the best player not in the NHL at the moment,I would state the consensus of Evgeny Malkin--but right after him it has got to be Wojtek Wolski---compared to everyone I've seen in the OHL this year and certainly he showed this again last night in the OHL all-star game--he is playing on a different planet than anyone else in the league right now---he looks now like a FRANCHISE CENTRE! He looks like an NHL all-star toying with Jrs...he is that dominating...he probably was responsible for about 15 great scoring chances for his team last night--nobody else was even close to that level of dangerousness...he is becoming a worth the price of admission kind of talent...
I have no bias in this--I am a Blackhawks fan (get the bags of shame out) not an Avs fan---but who knew--not even the Avs I'll bet,that he would blossom as a centre once away from the constraining side boards--now he is a danger going both left and right and certainly he benefits from the new rules NHL where great stick-handlers have more freedom to display their skills...lucky.lucky Avs fans..I'm envious!

Kroz

Mar 26, 2005
Yeah he was sent down for the 7, and plus his defensive play. The most important reason I think was so that he could have one more year to seriously be the man, and get super ice time.....Thats quite a good report! Oiler fans will probably say a bit about their boy Schremp being the second best not in the NHL and he sounds like he is going nuts as well, would you say that hes playing on par with him at this point of the OHL season?

I hope he keeps it up, if Av's management could have looked into the future and forseen Kono's injury no doubt he would be still up right now!

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Schremp looks like a good Jr. compared to Wolski who looks like a seasoned NHL all-star right now...I doubt Schremp will make a good transition to pro...the difference is night and day...

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
I've never been a Wojtech fan. He's always had that talent hidden, but never the drive. Whenever I'd watched him before (probably around 4-5 times in my life), he just leaves so much to be desired. He'll be outstanding for a couple shifts, score a goal, then completely disappear. Maybe he's finally figured it out. That if he just put in a consistent effort he could be one hell of a hockey player. The stats certainly seem to dictate that. 14 goals and 27 assists in his last 15 games. Those are absolutely awesome numbers. I should mention that I haven't seen Wojtech play in this tear, but it's definitely intrigued me. I think one reason that perhaps this shift to center has really worked is because it's giving him control of the play. And because he's in control, it's forcing him to make a much more consistent effort. He can't just float like he did on thw wings.

Wolfpack

Jul 9, 2004
hawksfan50 said:
Schremp looks like a good Jr. compared to Wolski who looks like a seasoned NHL all-star right now...I doubt Schremp will make a good transition to pro...the difference is night and day...

He looks like a seasoned NHL all-star right now...?

Come on now.

He has been playing well lately. Yes... against teenagers, same as Schremp. In the future if he shows he can do so for more than a 3rd of the season, THEN we should consider him as the second coming of The Great One.

GOTTHEMONEY--SPENDIT

Jun 26, 2002
Visit site
Wolfpack said:
He looks like a seasoned NHL all-star right now...?

Come on now.

He has been playing well lately. Yes... against teenagers, same as Schremp. In the future if he shows he can do so for more than a 3rd of the season, THEN we should consider him as the second coming of The Great One.

as an avs fan, reading this is indeed incouraging, but "seasoned NHL all star' is probably a bit much, he is only playing against other youngsters.
I say wait until he plays in the A, then if he can translate that dynamic offensive play, then maybe.

MentalPowerHouse

Oct 11, 2003
In his draft year he was projected to go top 10 at the beginning of the season, maybe that is beginning to show...

Kroz

Mar 26, 2005
I don't believe that Wolski will spend much time in the A. Though if he does make a switch to center it would be nice, as we really need to rebuild at that position.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Brock said:
I've never been a Wojtech fan. He's always had that talent hidden, but never the drive. Whenever I'd watched him before (probably around 4-5 times in my life), he just leaves so much to be desired. He'll be outstanding for a couple shifts, score a goal, then completely disappear. Maybe he's finally figured it out. That if he just put in a consistent effort he could be one hell of a hockey player. The stats certainly seem to dictate that. 14 goals and 27 assists in his last 15 games. Those are absolutely awesome numbers. I should mention that I haven't seen Wojtech play in this tear, but it's definitely intrigued me. I think one reason that perhaps this shift to center has really worked is because it's giving him control of the play. And because he's in control, it's forcing him to make a much more consistent effort. He can't just float like he did on thw wings.
Since Aquino came back, and since the WJC snub, I would agree that Wolski has stepped it up more, and his previous flashes of slickness have now been extended to more prolonged periods of being a consistent game-breaking threat. That said, players like Turgeon, Kovalev, Yashin, etc, have had knacks for putting together similar stretches in the past too. I don't know if Wolski will live up to being that level of player - although I could see it happening - but I'm not certain that he'd be of much interest to me even if he did. :dunno: I guess sometimes tigers change their stripes or leopards change their spots or whatever, but it will take a while for an inveterate Wolski-basher like me to believe it. ;)

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Kroz said:
I don't believe that Wolski will spend much time in the A. Though if he does make a switch to center it would be nice, as we really need to rebuild at that position.

That's not really true, in fact almost everyone of our current forward prospects are centers, Stastny, Stoa, Richardson, Wolski (now) they're all centers.

Mules

Jan 28, 2004
Kroz said:
With the loss of Forsberg :cry: and Sakic in a couple years, we need to have more Centers.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
His stick handling reminds me of Jagr albeit he is knowhere near as strong as Jagr he just kinda looks like him out there and of course he doesnt have Jagrs natural touch. Wolski was the only noticeable player at the OHL All-Star Game.

TeamSeals

Feb 27, 2005
Minnetonka
Number 19 said:
That's not really true, in fact almost everyone of our current forward prospects are centers, Stastny, Stoa, Richardson, Wolski (now) they're all centers.

Stoa's a wing or he at least he is playing wing for the Gophers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad