Speculation: The Trade Deadline Scuttlebutt Thread

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Probably on Hollands list are Jack Johnson, Enstrom, Hamhuis, maybe Gudbranson, de Haan or Moore. I'm sure he'd love to enter the John Carlson sweepstakes, but probably doesn't have the wiggle room unless he knows for sure that Kronwall will LTIRetire, but then the question is would Carlson even come here... For some reason, I could also see him grabbing an Emelin/Polak type and selling as "needing to get tougher on D".
Interesting, thanks for the info.

I've never really liked Jack Johnson. He's a lotsa tools no toolbox guy. Given his financial situation I'm guessing he's going to go to the highest bidder, which means Holland has a decent shot at him if he's willing to pay.

No thanks on Emelin either. No respect for that guy.

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
I'm pretty nervous about the TDL, Holland did a good job last year but I could see this year being a disaster. So many team will be on the fence since the league is so close at this point that some teams won't be sure about making the play-offs, to add to that Red wings could still have a small chance of making it which will put Holland on the fence aswell.

The way I see it is that if the wings aren't done and out Holland might not feel desperate enough to trade players at any cost which might lead to Holland refusing to accept deals that might be slight under payments despite them likely helping the wings in the long run.

I usually don't cheer for the team to lose but at this point i rather the wings went on a rough losing streak that will put the team too far behind sooner rather than later.

rhef3

Jul 28, 2016
Just outside St.louis
Agreed. Holland is nothing if not conservative.

And I can't seem him moving Daley. Subtract Green from the team and take a look at that blueline. Now imagine Daley gone too. Oof. Even without moving anyone else that's basically full on tank mode.

Honestly who are the free agent defenseman this offseason? I could see Holland picking up a vet to bolster the blueline. Zdeno Chara come on down for the retirement tour in Detroit?

I partially agree here, but if you could get value now for daley and we have no real defense what does it matter honestly ? All that means is we get another good pick by being much lower in the standings and another year to get out from some of these contracts. Let some of the kids play next season (Hronek, Russo) or we could maybe sign De Haan in the offseason ? or someone average. I believe we should be in more of a tank mode, the faster we gut these vets and get out from under these fat contracts the better I say, time to stock pile picks for this draft and next.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I've never really liked Jack Johnson. He's a lotsa tools no toolbox guy. Given his financial situation I'm guessing he's going to go to the highest bidder, which means Holland has a decent shot at him if he's willing to pay.

Either that or a deal that offers more term, is structured in a way where he's basically buyout proof and/or with a team in a state where he faces little or no income tax.

IIRC, all but around $246k of his salary gets taken as part of his bankruptcy for at least the next couple seasons, and I also think it was based on him making at least $4.5M in those seasons. I'm sure he wants to make something once that whole ordeal is over as well

Also, IIRC, I thought his parents lived in Ann Arbor, so maybe he'd want to keep his distance?

Of the upcoming UFA class, Toby Enstrom seems to have Ken Holland written all over him... He's a decent PMD on the wrong side of 30, Swedish, somewhat soft and injury prone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Dead Thing Fan

Jan 25, 2016
Green(50% retained) to a Cup/playoff contender. Return-Mid to late 2018 1st.
Nyquist(50% retained-signed thru 18/19 so not a pure rental). Return(with retention)mid to late 2018 1st or 2 2nds(18/19).
Howard(50% retained-signed thru 18/19 so not a pure rental). Both the Isles and the Hawks could/should/will have serious interest in Howard given the shaky tender situations of both teams. The Isles have the leagues' worst GAA and the save% aint much better. Howard is definitely an upgrade over Halak amd Griess and with 50% retention, very affordable. Return is higher of NYI or Calgary's 2018 1sts. As for Crawford, rumors of his possibly having vertigo, reminds me of Franzen and his concussion history. Crawford could be out a week, a month, the rest of the season or his career could be over. Return-2018 1st or prospect(s).
Booth: Moved for mid to late rd. pick

Can see this happening

To NYI: Green + Nyquist + Howard (all three with 50% retention)
To Detroit: Higher of Calgary/NYI 2018 1st and 2nd rd picks + Halak(cap dump) +Nelson

RedWingsfan55

Jan 5, 2015
For those people saying were 8 points from a wild car spot.

I'll bite let's play this game.

They're 2 points away or need 2 points less and they are the FOURTH worst in hickey.

This team is much closer to having a top 5 draft pick then they are to making it to a wild card.

Let's not forget this teams record is still 18-26. Forget the loser points. This team sucks.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Green(50% retained) to a Cup/playoff contender. Return-Mid to late 2018 1st.
Nyquist(50% retained-signed thru 18/19 so not a pure rental). Return(with retention)mid to late 2018 1st or 2 2nds(18/19).
Howard(50% retained-signed thru 18/19 so not a pure rental). Both the Isles and the Hawks could/should/will have serious interest in Howard given the shaky tender situations of both teams. The Isles have the leagues' worst GAA and the save% aint much better. Howard is definitely an upgrade over Halak amd Griess and with 50% retention, very affordable. Return is higher of NYI or Calgary's 2018 1sts. As for Crawford, rumors of his possibly having vertigo, reminds me of Franzen and his concussion history. Crawford could be out a week, a month, the rest of the season or his career could be over. Return-2018 1st or prospect(s).
Booth: Moved for mid to late rd. pick

Can see this happening

To NYI: Green + Nyquist + Howard (all three with 50% retention)
To Detroit: Higher of Calgary/NYI 2018 1st and 2nd rd picks + Halak(cap dump) +Nelson

Given the Hawks, Islanders and Flames respective current positions in the standings, I doubt they offer up those 1sts unless they are lottery protected or have a condition that allows them to defer to sending a 2019 1st if they so choose.

And as far as goalies going to Chi/NYI, it sounds like both teams don't want to spend big assets to get one, given that they don't have a strong hold on a playoff spot. The Islanders in particular seem to be more apt to shore up their blueline instead of the net.

IMO, your trade makes little sense for both the Red Wings or the Islanders.

First off, the Red Wings would be strapping themselves with $5M+ of dead space for 18/19. Not a huge deal by itself, but then you have to consider that they would need to re-sign Nelson as an RFA and sign a goalie to replace Howard, which likely takes up most if not more of the $5M+ they save not having half of Nyquist and Howard on the books.

For the Islanders, Garth Snow would need to find a bomb shelter if he trades futures in that deal and then either A: They miss the playoffs, B: Tavares finds a new home on 7/1, or C: A and B. Especially when you consider that the deal would only impact their team for as far as the end of 18/19. The only silver lining is that they might be able to move Howard and Nyquist at next years TDL for some assets.

I also doubt Howard would have NYI on his list of 10 teams or Nyquist waives his NTC to go to a team with the worst home ice surface in the NHL and a questionable future in regards to their best player.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
not only for drafts but we can get some prospect .
Would you trade Tatar for Klim Kostin for ensample

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad