Speculation: The Trade Deadline Scuttlebutt Thread

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I thought it might be worthwhile to have a single thread for any rumors or speculation surrounding Detroit's trade deadline activity. For starters, here's a recent TSN article:

Countdown to TradeCentre: Big move for the Bolts? - Article - TSN

"Let's start with Mike Green who right now isn't on the market because the Detroit Red Wings have not given up on their season just yet," LeBrun said. "But at some point in time the math will catch up and they'll have to go through Green's people at Newport Sports. He's got a full no-trade clause. For a right-handed power-play guy, a lot of teams are going to line up. He's got a $6-million cap hit that the Wings will eat a bunch of that to make a trade happen. One team I think you have to keep an eye on is Tampa Bay, who I think would like an upgrade in their Top 4. Although again they haven't talked to anyone yet."

(and, further on)

"Time to Sell?
John Niyo of The Detroit News believes Red Wings general manager Ken Holland should be shopping several of the team's veterans, - not just Green.

"While Green will draw the most interest, Niyo writes Gustav Nyquist, Tomas Tatar, Tervor Daley and Jimmy Howard should also be placed on the trade block by Holland as the team looks to stockpile draft picks and prospects.

"Howard, who has outstarted Petr Mrazek 36-13 this season, owns a .914 save percentage and a 2.73 goals-against average. While the list of contenders looking for a starting goaltender will be short, Niyo points to the Islanders and Blackhawks as two teams who could have interest.
Howard is signed through next season at a $5.3 million cap hit."

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
If Holland plans to move a goalie it should be sooner rather than later. I could see one of the teams you mentioned having a go at Lehner who I believe is still an RFA at the end of this season, he's making similar money to Mrazek but his numbers look much better behind a team that is worse than ours. I think Howard would be a really good fit in Chicago, and with Crawford perhaps gone for the season I have to think they will do something to upgrade and make a push for the playoffs. I don't see a team gunning for a playoff run taking a gamble on Mrazek, so I think Howard is the more likely of the two to be sought after. Unfortunately, I feel he's the least likely of the two that Holland will look to move.

I like what Niyo had to say and I think many, even most, here would agree with him; but I really can't see Holland parting with guys like Daley, Howard or even Gus and Tats. This could be a very interesting run up to the trade deadline. It will be very frustrating for me if we don't make some moves here to help build for that future.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
"Let's start with Mike Green who right now isn't on the market because the Detroit Red Wings have not given up on their season just yet," LeBrun said

wouldn't expect anything different from Holland :facepalm:

anyways, which teams would want Nyquist or Tatar? Or Mrazek? Islanders need goaltending and trading Mrazek to them has been discussed before on here.

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I'd trade Tatar, Nyquist, Mrazek, and/or Helm if we got actual defensemen out of it. If Green ends up getting traded, we have a defense made up of Daley, Kronwall, Ericsson, DDK. Jensen, XO. Big Rig would probably be on the top pairing out of that group. I don't really trust our scouting dept when it comes to drafting defensemen. The last good one we drafted was Kronwall, and that was over a decade ago. Something has to give.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
The Wings should trade Nyquist, Green and Howard. They won't though. IDK about Tatar and his current trade value since he is just finishing up the first year of his four year deal.

Those four are the only tradeable assets the Wings have on the roster that make sense to get rid of. Everyone else either has negative value or is too young to trade.

Helm, Gator, Ericsson and Nielsen are Red Wings for life thanks to their god awful contracts. Unless you are willing to bribe another team to take them by giving up draft picks, which would be incredibly dumb.

Reactions: Ezekial

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Who would want Howard? Guy hasn’t been good since the injury or so. Maybe that will change but history says otherwise

I don’t know who would take nyquist. Guy disappears come playoff time. I could see a team take the bait and maybe he gets on a stack team that makes him appear good there (almost like a Tampa) but what contender needs wingers? Trade him at the draft

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
I do agree that Howard's value isn't sky high, so the Wings would obviously have to retain a lot of Howard's cap hit for any team to take him, but that shouldn't be a problem.

Nyquist is young'ish and productive with a manageable cap hit. I can't blame him for doing nothing in the playoffs. The Wings roster over the past five seasons was built to do nothing in the playoffs.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Green to the NYI for a first. Either theirs or Calgary

Mrazek to Chicago for a 2019 2nd rd pick

Nyquist to STL for pick and a prospect and cap dump

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Ericsson would easily be deal-able this offseason. He's playing pretty well. With only two years on his deal teams would be interested in trading for him rather then overpaying for a defenseman in free agency. I think Helm gets bought out after next season since he'll no longer have any signing bonuses.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Eat $2M of Howard's contract and he becomes a decent risk for a team that has given up on their own goalies.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Green and Howard to NYI for ??? would seem to make so much sense. Gives NYI all that they could expect to get this year, shows Tavares they're serious, and they have a surplus of picks to move

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
If I had to pick a logical team for each player I'd like to deal, I'd say:

Green to Tampa Bay. Hedman may very well return before the deadline, but this feels like 'put up or shut up' time for the Bolts, and they were already thinking about adding a defenseman before the injury. It's at the bottom of the barrel for first round picks, but so be it.

Nyquist to St Louis. The Blues just can't seem to get over the hump in the playoffs, and with a new extension in place, their GM might push the envelope while their window is still open. Honorable mention to Nashville for similar reasons, but I don't know whether they're as open to rocking the boat.

Howard to Chicago. Bowman keeps saying he's standing pat, but this feels like the last year the Hawks have a shot to even make some noise. And while the Islanders would make sense on paper, their GM has been emphatic that he wants to improve the defensive nature of their blue line before their goaltending.

Tatar to Edmonton. The least likely piece to ship out, but the Oilers seem increasingly desperate to find a shooter to pair with McDavid. Kane from Buffalo would be the right talent, but between the sky-high demands of the Sabres, and the baggage that comes with Kane, Edmonton might opt for a trade with less headaches.

Now realistically, I'm guessing that only Green gets moved (with maybe an irrelevant footnote like Booth). But if there's a good return, I'd be on board with any of these moves.

The Flying Octopus

Sep 18, 2017
Birmingham
If I had to pick a logical team for each player I'd like to deal, I'd say:

Green to Tampa Bay. Hedman may very well return before the deadline, but this feels like 'put up or shut up' time for the Bolts, and they were already thinking about adding a defenseman before the injury. It's at the bottom of the barrel for first round picks, but so be it.

Nyquist to St Louis. The Blues just can't seem to get over the hump in the playoffs, and with a new extension in place, their GM might push the envelope while their window is still open. Honorable mention to Nashville for similar reasons, but I don't know whether they're as open to rocking the boat.

Howard to Chicago. Bowman keeps saying he's standing pat, but this feels like the last year the Hawks have a shot to even make some noise. And while the Islanders would make sense on paper, their GM has been emphatic that he wants to improve the defensive nature of their blue line before their goaltending.

Tatar to Edmonton. The least likely piece to ship out, but the Oilers seem increasingly desperate to find a shooter to pair with McDavid. Kane from Buffalo would be the right talent, but between the sky-high demands of the Sabres, and the baggage that comes with Kane, Edmonton might opt for a trade with less headaches.

Now realistically, I'm guessing that only Green gets moved (with maybe an irrelevant footnote like Booth). But if there's a good return, I'd be on board with any of these moves.

less can be more exciting....sign me up

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
They are 8 points behind a wild card spot with three games in hand on one of the wild card teams. Like it or not, they are right in the playoff mix.
I think "right in the mix" is overstating it a bit.

8 points is a big gap in today's NHL, especially when there's currently three other teams between them and the wildcard spot and two more nipping at their heels. The Wings are currently 8th worst in the league and only three other teams have fewer ROWs than Detroit.

They'd have to transform into a team they haven't been all season to close that gap.

MikeyDee

Dec 29, 2017
Metro Detroit

8 points is a big gap in today's NHL, especially when there's currently three other teams between them and the wildcard spot and two more nipping at their heels. The Wings are currently 8th worst in the league and only three other teams have fewer ROWs than Detroit.

They'd have to transform into a team they haven't been all season to close that gap.

Not only that, but in the next five games each one of their opponents have a better record than them.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015

If I'm Ken Holland, I "sell" being "in the mix" by having Helene St. James point to how the Flyers went from a slow start and a 10 game losing streak where their fans were chanting for Hakstols dismissal, to now being 2pts out of the 2nd WC spot with 2 games in hand on the team in that spot.

I think as long as the Red Wings stay in some kind of "playoff mix" (as unrealistic is it may be) and the hockey media keeps highlighting it like they are now, Holland probably sticks to just floating expiring players as rentals. So we're talking Green, Mrazek and Booth.

I don't see Daley waiving his full NTC, and I don't see Holland exploring Tatar, Nyquist or Howard trades till at least the offseason, if at all.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Has anyone heard a Halak for Howard trade rumor? I am not sure how credible the rumor is.
I still expect the nyi TDL move will be for D,so I am scratching my head over goalie rumors instead rumors about possible D trades.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Green to the NYI for a first. Either theirs or Calgary

Mrazek to Chicago for a 2019 2nd rd pick

Nyquist to STL for pick and a prospect and cap dump
Staple says the isles are only interested in moving a 1st,if the player coming back has term on their contract.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
If I'm Ken Holland, I "sell" being "in the mix" by having Helene St. James point to how the Flyers went from a slow start and a 10 game losing streak where their fans were chanting for Hakstols dismissal, to now being 2pts out of the 2nd WC spot with 2 games in hand on the team in that spot.

I think as long as the Red Wings stay in some kind of "playoff mix" (as unrealistic is it may be) and the hockey media keeps highlighting it like they are now, Holland probably sticks to just floating expiring players as rentals. So we're talking Green, Mrazek and Booth.

I don't see Daley waiving his full NTC, and I don't see Holland exploring Tatar, Nyquist or Howard trades till at least the offseason, if at all.
Agreed. Holland is nothing if not conservative.

And I can't seem him moving Daley. Subtract Green from the team and take a look at that blueline. Now imagine Daley gone too. Oof. Even without moving anyone else that's basically full on tank mode.

Honestly who are the free agent defenseman this offseason? I could see Holland picking up a vet to bolster the blueline. Zdeno Chara come on down for the retirement tour in Detroit?

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
While I can totally see that claim happening, digging a little deeper shows that it doesn't translate to this roster.

Philadelphia was bolstered by a 6-game winning streak in December, where they averaged 3.5 goals per game, and a 4-game winning streak in January, where they averaged a whopping 5.25 goals per game.

By contrast, Detroit has the recent 4-game winning streak of 3.25 goals per game, but otherwise has not won more than 2 games in a row all season. Overall, Philly is tied for 18th in GFA (2.93), while Detroit is 25th (2.70).

So while anything is POSSIBLE, there just isn't data to suggest that the Wings will muster either the firepower or the consistency to pull it off. Hopefully that realization hits the right people, with enough time to make some shrewd moves at the deadline.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Agreed. Holland is nothing if not conservative.

And I can't seem him moving Daley. Subtract Green from the team and take a look at that blueline. Now imagine Daley gone too. Oof. Even without moving anyone else that's basically full on tank mode.

Honestly who are the free agent defenseman this offseason? I could see Holland picking up a vet to bolster the blueline. Zdeno Chara come on down for the retirement tour in Detroit?

Probably on Hollands list are Jack Johnson, Enstrom, Hamhuis, maybe Gudbranson, de Haan or Moore. I'm sure he'd love to enter the John Carlson sweepstakes, but probably doesn't have the wiggle room unless he knows for sure that Kronwall will LTIRetire, but then the question is would Carlson even come here... For some reason, I could also see him grabbing an Emelin/Polak type and selling as "needing to get tougher on D".

While I can totally see that claim happening, digging a little deeper shows that it doesn't translate to this roster.

Absolutely. It would be similar to Hollands 2/3 year "Just get in" sales pitch from 2012-2014 or so, where he would point to the 2012 LA Kings Cup win as an 8th seed as proof, while conveniently leaving out that the Kings had a legit #1C/#1D/#1G not in the twilights of their careers, and had acquired another legit #1C at the trade deadline that season.

Reactions: MikeyDee

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Green has to and will inevitably be traded. Look at the other UFAs on the market. No other Dman even has double digit points. If you want a puck moving Dman that can put up points, Green is your only option. He will return a premium and has to be traded.

The only other reasonable trade option I see is Mrazek. Retain a bit and a team looking for a backup will give up a 4th or 5th round pick or so.

Howard has another year left on his deal and the team needs a starter next year anyways. Will be incredibly hard to find a worthwhile fit.

Nyquist should only be traded if you are getting pretty good value out of him. A lot of posters seem to want to sell him off for a 2nd round pick and cap dump. I'd really like to see him with a different center before shipping him off cheaply. A guy like Rasmussen is a perfect fit to center Nyquist, but who knows if he will be NHL ready next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->