The top line needs a name

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Can we call it the Cold War Line?

Mainly because of the numbers: 86 - 90 -91, which were all cold war years. Then there's the Russia tie too.

I'm sold. That's badass. I knew we'd find the right name. It's easy to say and spell, it's historically accurate based on numbers and nationality, it SOUNDS badass and more than enough time has passed to where the political hatchet is buried and the reference can be appreciated.

Honest to God I vote this right now.

Well done DFC. All the likes

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Can we call it the Cold War Line?

Mainly because of the numbers: 86 - 90 -91, which were all cold war years. Then there's the Russia tie too.
History nerds could have an issue with the Cold War being extended into the 90's. The USSR was still around, but Malta in Dec 89 was the end (officially)

Canada - Stamkos is also an issue. The Cold War wasn't really Canada/Russia. The Summit Series/Canada Cup was.

Detente Line?

Last edited:

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
History nerds could have an issue with the Cold War being extended into the 90's. The USSR was still around, but Malta in Dec 89 was the end (officially)

Canada - Stamkos is also an issue. The Cold War wasn't really Canada/Russia. The Summit Series/Canada Cup was.

Detente Line?

Don Cherry resents those remarks!

And yeah technically the nerds could have an issue with up to 1991 but being a fellow history nerd myself I happen to agree with the assessment that the dissolution of the USSR marked the true end of the Cold War. The previous events (in particular the Autumn of Nations) was a lead up. The actual conglomerate still stood nevertheless for a few years. I mean I could be taking this too seriously but I feel like the argument that the Cold War ended in 1989 is like saying WWII ended with the surrender of Germany on V-E day. While a major turning point, we still had war in the Pacific drag out another few months before the unconditional surrender of the Japanese Empire.

And sure the USA was at odds with the USSR but we have to keep in mind they were at adds with pretty much the entire western hemisphere and the ideals of a capitalist way of life. They stood proud by their ideals because the ideals of communism succeeded the rule of Tsars and it was considered a landmark achievement like how Americans consider the Revolution against Britain. The USA was just their outlet of "dislike" no differently than they were ours. By the 1960's and 1970's there was little-at-best distinction of Russia from any other communist nation under the USSR umbrella such as Romania. They were all "reds" in the propaganda posters. And believe me Russia would have hated Canada too if they were the nation devoted to putting a man on the moon or going after all of Germany's top scientists such as Einstein and Von Braun.

But TL;DR: The years of 86-91 being the end of the Cold War and the fact we have Russians on the line is enough connection to satisfy me. And believe me the only bigger world history nerd you'll find than me is me when it comes to hockey history.

Cold War Line is freaking amazing. I don't think we're gonna do better considering hockey itself is like a war and its on ice

Last edited:

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
I will use that name if, and only if, someone does a quality shoop of Worker and Kolkhoznitsa with Kucherov's face on the worker and Stamkos' face on the woman and they are both holding hockey sticks.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Detente Line?

Wikipedia has it ending in '91 with the end of the USSR.

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
I'm not opposed to the Cold War Line, but if we're going with that theme I'm gonna have to resubmit my earlier offering, which carries historical weight and kind of sums up the menacing, duck-and-cover nature of that line:

The Nuclear Option

(Just realized Duck n' Cover could be cool, too... hmmm.)

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
I like it but the cold war ended in 89
The Cold war officially ended after the dissolution of the Soviet Union, in 1991.

Some ideas from the Cold war glossary :
- Defcon
- Detente
- Glasnost
: Russian for ‘openness’. A Soviet reform implemented by Mikhail Gorbachev during the late 1980s, encouraging open debate, discussion and freedom of speech.
- Iron curtain
- Perestroika
: Russian for ‘restructuring’. A reform movement in the USSR during the 1980s, led by Mikhael Gorbachev. It involved some liberal reforms and a relaxing of centralised controls over the economy.
- Red scare
- Mutually-assured destruction (or MAD)
: The assumption that both the US and USSR would refrain from launching nuclear weapons, since each knew the other would retaliate, and this would lead to devastation on both sides.

Boltswin

Apr 29, 2011
Tampa
Acute Right Obtuse ARO
Obtuse Right Acute ORA
Right Obtuse Acute ROA

Or the Angles

Tri-angles

Illuminati

Last edited:

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I mean, if you're on board for Malone line, then let's do it. I'm a big fan of Malone Line

Yeah but you see, the thing of it is, is that we already have a Point line, so having a point line would be somewhat amusing.

Good Point.

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
The more I think I about it the more I like the cold war line. It fits on a few levels and I like to think facing them has teams fearing imminent destruction at any moment.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
The more I think I about it the more I like the cold war line. It fits on a few levels and I like to think facing them has teams fearing imminent destruction at any moment.

We saw that last game. Or the last few games, really, where they look completely benign, but then suddenly bubble up and dominate for a shift or two.

I'd like to see us mix things up against Buffalo, but I think this is a line we'll go with throughout the season, regardless. And I still like Cold War Line, or like, Cold War Kids, or Cold War Trio. Whatever.

Boltswin

Apr 29, 2011
Tampa
At this point it would be safe to call them the Line That Shall Not Be Named (because we're failing at it).

Credit to Sila v Kucherove for the Voldemort idea.

Edit: I have made a lot of suggestions but I will personally still only call them Stammer, Kuch, and Vladdy when referring to them.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad