The top 10 trades of all time - no order

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
John Flyers Fan said:
Philly became a big market team the day that Larry bertuzzi awarded Lindros to the Flyers. Ed Snider had been trying for over a decade to get financing for a new building, and couldn't get it done.

As soon as Lindros was aquired the Flyers were able to pre-sellout all the luxury suites for the new building, which in turn allowed Snider to get the financing needed to privately build the now Wachovia Center.

The avalanche won the deal, but it isn't nearly as lopsided as some make it out to be. The Avs were well on there way to becoming an elite team before the Lindros trade ... and Forsberg wasn't what put them over the top ... it was the Roy deal.

Jocelyn Thibault was the main part of the Roy deal, so the Philly deal also helped that. Also, Lindros helped them sell tickets, and get a new arena right away, but I think with Forsberg on their team a few years later, and a much deeper team with Ricci, Rucinsky, Simon, Hextal, and even Steve Duchesne, plus the extra $15 million they would have kept, they would have been a very competative team, and thus very popular with the fans, so I think they would have found a deep pocketed owner, and a new arena eventually. It probably just would have taken a few more years, and I doubt the franchise would have folded in that time, so I don't think there is that much of a difference. In fact, with all those players in their lineup, they might actually have been able to win a cup or two, which would have brought them even more money, and been even better for their franchise.

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
jtuzzi21 said:
No he wasn't. Muckalt was in the Scatchard deal to land Potvin. This was a straight up trade (Peter for Sami).
I think he was correcting the post that claimed Peter was involved in the Yashin deal, coming over with Chara and Spezza when in fact it was Muckalt. You're right about Peter for Sami straight up, fair deal for both sides, but Milbury got schooled in the Yashin deal.

doc5hole

Nov 30, 2003
www.southcoasttoday.com
The Canadiens made a couple of weird ones that paid off in the 80's.

On Sept. 9, 1982, they dealt Langway, Jarvis, Engblom and Laughlin to the Caps for Ryan Walter and Rick Green. Langway won two Norris Trophies and the Caps became a good team. Montreal writers asked who's going to get the puck out of the zone, then the Habs won the Cup in '86.

I'm glad somebody included the never-ending deal that sent Neely to Boston because few Bruins fans realized Pederson outscored him the year after the trade.
In '94, Wesley was eventually dealt to Hartford for three 1st-rounders: 1. Kyle McLaren; 2. Johnathan Aitken (still playing AHL); 3. Sergei Samsonov. McLaren was dealt for Jillson and Jillson for Brad Boyes.

Joey Juneau for Al Iafrate looked like a big winner for the Bruins for one playoff series, then it was all Capitals/Canadiens.

Another Bruins deal that helped both clubs sent Oates, Ranford and Tocchet to the Caps for Allison, Carter and Carey at the '97 deadline. The Caps made the '98 finals, but the Bruins took them to 6 games with their first of two straight 91-point seasons as Allison made his mark. The next year they got their only series win of the FleetCenter era. Trivia note: Carter to Edmonton for Guerin ultimately produced the compensatory second-round pick (when Guerin left for Dallas) that Boston used to pick Patrice Bergeron.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Jovanovski = Norris said:
1.) Colorado also traded Mats Sundin for Wendel Clark.
The whole deal was: Toronto Maple Leafs traded Wendel Clark, Sylvain Lefebvre, Landon Wilson and 1st round selection (Jeffrey Kealty) in 1994 to the Quebec Nordiques for Mats Sundin, Garth Butcher, Todd Warriner and 1st round selection (previously acquired from the Philadelphia Flyers, later traded to the Washington Capitals - Nolan Baumgartner) in 1994.

Wendel got traded a year later for Claude Lemeiux and Wilson got packaged with Myrvold for a first from Boston in 1998 which became Regher.

The impetus for the trade was Sundin being in the middle of a contract dispute and the club was still in Quebec.

Finkle is Einhorn

Oct 13, 2003
Visit site
To Vancouver: Brendan Morrison, Denis Pederson
To New Jersey: Alex Mogilny

Even though some Canuck fans might say that the inclusion of Pederson tipped the scales in New Jersey's favour.

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
SectionX said:
Or not. I remember that Lindros totally choked in the finals vs Detroit. He had like 1 point.

On the other hand, he was the only reason they were in the finals.

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
Foppa2118 said:
How was Philly the winner of that trade, before the Stevens hit? I would trade Lindros straight up for Forsberg. I guess you could say they were winners for the first couple years, but that's because Forsberg wasn't in the NHL yet. Just for Lindros, they got Ron Hextall (who was used to bring in Adam Deadmarsh), Steve Duchesne, Kerry Huffman, Chris Simon, Mike Ricci (who played a big role with the team himself, but was later traded for Shean Donovan and another first round pick which was Alex Tanguay), two first round draft picks (One of which was used to get Jocelyn Thibault, who in turn was a major part or the Patrick Roy trade), and $15 million cash.

Yes, I'm familiar with the trade.

Philly was the short-term winner of the trade because Lindros brought more to Philadelphia than that plethora of players brought to Colorado, until Lindros suffered his major concussion and Forsberg exploded offensively. Lindros WAS living up to his bill for the first five years or so. Basically the two pivotal turning points for the trade reversing favorable direction were Forsberg exceeding his expected potential and Lindros suffering injuries.

In hindsight, Colorado/Quebec wins the trade by a LOT, but for about five years, Philadelphia had won it.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Jets traded Teemu Selanne (in his prime) to Anaheim for Chad Kilger and a young Oleg Tverdovsky. I may have cried when it happened.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Foppa2118 said:
Jocelyn Thibault was the main part of the Roy deal, so the Philly deal also helped that. Also, Lindros helped them sell tickets, and get a new arena right away, but I think with Forsberg on their team a few years later, and a much deeper team with Ricci, Rucinsky, Simon, Hextal, and even Steve Duchesne, plus the extra $15 million they would have kept, they would have been a very competative team, and thus very popular with the fans, so I think they would have found a deep pocketed owner, and a new arena eventually. It probably just would have taken a few more years, and I doubt the franchise would have folded in that time, so I don't think there is that much of a difference. In fact, with all those players in their lineup, they might actually have been able to win a cup or two, which would have brought them even more money, and been even better for their franchise.

Roy was going to Colorado with or without Thibault. Fiset another French Canadian goalie could have been just as easily substituted.

They weren't looking for a deep pocketed owner, they were looking to get a new building done. The Lindros aquisition got that done for them.

Simon wasn't included in the original deal, the Nordiques only got him becuase Aubut ****ed up the original deal. Duchesne & Hextall were both pieces that mattered little ... and Hextall was re-aquired in two years at minimal expense.

Forsberg, Ricci and the draft picks where what mattered.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
John Flyers Fan said:
Roy was going to Colorado with or without Thibault. Fiset another French Canadian goalie could have been just as easily substituted.

They weren't looking for a deep pocketed owner, they were looking to get a new building done. The Lindros aquisition got that done for them.

Simon wasn't included in the original deal, the Nordiques only got him becuase Aubut ****ed up the original deal. Duchesne & Hextall were both pieces that mattered little ... and Hextall was re-aquired in two years at minimal expense.

Forsberg, Ricci and the draft picks where what mattered.

I don't think they neccesarily would have got Roy without Thibault. They were looking for a possible replacement for Roy, and Thibault had some promise, and I don't think Fiset would have fit the bill just because he also was French Canadien.

As for the Owner, and the arena situation, I already stated that I think they would have got the arena without Lindros, it just would have been a few years later. The owner comment was directed at the last person who mentioned that as a factor.

Finally, I wasn't aware that Simon wasn't part of the original deal (btw how did Aubut **** up) but I don't think that adds that much of an element, since he was included, and that's what we are talking about. I'll give you the Hextal point, even though they used the pick they got to get Adam Deadmarsh, but they potentially could have picked Bertuzzi with their original pick, but who knows if they would have kept him, since he wasn't what he is now, at first. I'll also slightly give you the Duchesne point, but although he wasn't a huge part, he was used to eventually bring in Wendel Clark, and then Lemiex. I still stick by what I said though, as I think the original argument was about the arena and the owner, since we all agree QUE/COL won the trade, and I think they would have got those two things anyway, only two or three years later.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
kmad said:
Yes, I'm familiar with the trade.

Philly was the short-term winner of the trade because Lindros brought more to Philadelphia than that plethora of players brought to Colorado, until Lindros suffered his major concussion and Forsberg exploded offensively. Lindros WAS living up to his bill for the first five years or so. Basically the two pivotal turning points for the trade reversing favorable direction were Forsberg exceeding his expected potential and Lindros suffering injuries.

In hindsight, Colorado/Quebec wins the trade by a LOT, but for about five years, Philadelphia had won it.

I didn't mean to imply you weren't familiar with the trade, I know everybody is. I just added a few of the trades, that followed as a result of what they got, just in case you didn't know. I'll agree to disagree with you, but I think Forsberg was holding his own before Lindros got that concusion. He didn't explode after Lindros go that concusion, he just coincidentally had a Hart Trophy winning season due to a pretty much injury free season, and some great linemates. He was considered to be the most complete player for a couple years before that by a lot of people, and he always had it in him to have a season like that, plus he started in the NHL a bit later than Lindros, so that is why he had a quicker impact.

Rather Gingerly 1*

Frank Mahovlich for Bill Collins, Mickey Redmond and Guy Charron.

Montreal got a star player who helped them win two Stanley cups. Detroit received three young players to rebuild their team with. Especially, Redmond who went on to be a 50 goal scorer.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
KOVALEV10 said:
All 3 of those trades were steels... the thread started clearly said he's talking about trades that benefited both teams.
PapaBear said:
Here's a few - NO ORDER

TO COLORADO: ROB BLAKE, STEVEN REINPRECHT
TO LA: ADAM DEADMARSH, AARON MILLER, PICK (JARED AULIN)
I can't say the Kings have been lucky.

Deadmarsh, 'nuff said
Miller, always injured
Aulin, same and meanwhile traded.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Foppa2118 said:
I don't think they neccesarily would have got Roy without Thibault. They were looking for a possible replacement for Roy, and Thibault had some promise, and I don't think Fiset would have fit the bill just because he also was French Canadien.

Roy was going to Colorado, with or without Thibault. Lacroix was his former agent, and Roy held all the cards and directed where he wanted to go.

Foppa2118 said:
As for the Owner, and the arena situation, I already stated that I think they would have got the arena without Lindros, it just would have been a few years later.

Yes, and I lived here all that time and saw them try and try and try again for more than a decade to get a new building and they could NOT get the financing. Lindros and his presence was the key. Forsberg didn't have that kind of prensece for at least 5 more years.

Foppa2118 said:
Finally, I wasn't aware that Simon wasn't part of the original deal (btw how did Aubut **** up) but I don't think that adds that much of an element, since he was included, and that's what we are talking about. I'll give you the Hextal point, even though they used the pick they got to get Adam Deadmarsh, but they potentially could have picked Bertuzzi with their original pick, but who knows if they would have kept him, since he wasn't what he is now, at first. I'll also slightly give you the Duchesne point, but although he wasn't a huge part, he was used to eventually bring in Wendel Clark, and then Lemiex. I still stick by what I said though, as I think the original argument was about the arena and the owner, since we all agree QUE/COL won the trade, and I think they would have got those two things anyway, only two or three years later.

Aubut traded Lindros to the Flyers and then 2 hours later he traded him to the Rangers. It eneded u in arbitration and it was made clear that the trade had been made with the Flyers BEFORE he made the deal with the Rangers.

In the original deal th eNordiques were to have gotten the Flyers #1 pick (7th overall in 1992, Because Aubut screwed the whole thing up the Flyers used that pick (Ryan Sittler - bust).

Instead of getting that pick the Nordiques got the Flyers #1 in 1994 (Wade Belak) and the rights to Chris Simon.

MB1

Mar 26, 2005
Chris Pronger for Brendan Shanahan sure worked out for both teams.

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
Maybe too early to say, but:

Ruslan Fedotenko and 2nd rounder (traded later) to TB for 1st rounder (Joni Pitkänen)

Pitkänen had good rookie year while Fedotenko scored two goals in Game 7 of Stanley Cup Finals.

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
The Jets sent Brian Hayward to Montreal in 1986 for Steve Penney.

Hayward won 3 Jennings trophies with Patrick Roy (for the first one, he saw more ice than Patrick, too!). Penney was 3-8-2 over two years with the Jets.

Best trade... if you're a Habs fan :(

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
jamiebez said:
The Jets sent Brian Hayward to Montreal in 1986 for Steve Penney.

Hayward won 3 Jennings trophies with Patrick Roy (for the first one, he saw more ice than Patrick, too!). Penney was 3-8-2 over two years with the Jets.

Best trade... if you're a Habs fan :(

That's quite an unremarkable trade if you ask me

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
John Flyers Fan said:
Roy was going to Colorado, with or without Thibault. Lacroix was his former agent, and Roy held all the cards and directed where he wanted to go.

Yes, and I lived here all that time and saw them try and try and try again for more than a decade to get a new building and they could NOT get the financing. Lindros and his presence was the key. Forsberg didn't have that kind of prensece for at least 5 more years.

Aubut traded Lindros to the Flyers and then 2 hours later he traded him to the Rangers. It eneded u in arbitration and it was made clear that the trade had been made with the Flyers BEFORE he made the deal with the Rangers.

In the original deal th eNordiques were to have gotten the Flyers #1 pick (7th overall in 1992, Because Aubut screwed the whole thing up the Flyers used that pick (Ryan Sittler - bust).

Instead of getting that pick the Nordiques got the Flyers #1 in 1994 (Wade Belak) and the rights to Chris Simon.

We'll have to agree to disagree then on Roy going to Colrado anyway. I don't think that Roy had that much pull for Savard to trade him for just anybody, or without the type of goalie they wanted in return. I again, doubt it would have been Fiset either, especially since Fiset is five years older than Thibault, and Serge Savard said, "I wouldn't have traded him for an experienced goalie because it would have been taking a step backward." They wanted a young, possible franchise goalie to replace Roy, and Fiset didn't have that kind of apeal at that point.

As for Forsberg not having the same kind of presence as Lindros for another 5 years, this is true, and why I said they would have got the arena a few years later, and it is also because Lindros came into the league a few years earlier. I think with their team being much deeper, and possibly even winning a cup, Philly would have got that arena within five years at the most, and I would say less, so I don't think that is all that much of a difference difference.

Interesting about Simon. I knew how the Rangers were involved, and that Aubut screwed it up in that way, but I wasn't aware of how Simon's rights were involved. Lucky for QUE/COL Simon panned out.

Kritter471

Feb 17, 2005
Dallas
Beneficial to both teams (and already mentioned above)

Dallas gets: Joe Nieuwendyk
Calgary gets: Jarome Iginla, Corey Millen

Nieuwendyk won the Conn Smythe two years later in 1999 while Iginla is turning into one of the NHL's premier power forwards (oh, if they would have just given up Todd Harvey like the Flames originally asked for).

And a steal for one team

Pittsburgh gets: Kevin Hatcher
Dallas gets: Sergei Zubov.

Heh.

acr*

Rangers get:Phil Esposito, Carol Vadnais
Bruins get:Brad Park, Jean Ratelle, Joe Zanussi

Very good for both teams. The subsequent Hodge/Middleton trade was a steal, but the original blockbuster was pretty even.

CoupeStanley

Dec 1, 2003
Nicolet
coupestanley.com
Foppa2118 said:
We'll have to agree to disagree then on Roy going to Colrado anyway. I don't think that Roy had that much pull for Savard to trade him for just anybody, or without the type of goalie they wanted in return. I again, doubt it would have been Fiset either, especially since Fiset is five years older than Thibault, and Serge Savard said, "I wouldn't have traded him for an experienced goalie because it would have been taking a step backward." They wanted a young, possible franchise goalie to replace Roy, and Fiset didn't have that kind of apeal at that point.

As for Forsberg not having the same kind of presence as Lindros for another 5 years, this is true, and why I said they would have got the arena a few years later, and it is also because Lindros came into the league a few years earlier. I think with their team being much deeper, and possibly even winning a cup, Philly would have got that arena within five years at the most, and I would say less, so I don't think that is all that much of a difference difference.

Interesting about Simon. I knew how the Rangers were involved, and that Aubut screwed it up in that way, but I wasn't aware of how Simon's rights were involved. Lucky for QUE/COL Simon panned out.

Rejean Houle traded Roy... not Savard

The day Savard was fired, he did trade Roy to Colorado for Fiset and Nolan, the trade was cancelled since he wasnt the GM anymore..

Savard beleived that Theodore was the goalie of the future and he just need someone to take over Roy for a couple of years before Jose was ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->