THE TOP 10 BLACK NHL PLAYERS OF ALL-TIME

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zegras Zebra

May 7, 2016
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Iginla and Fuhr are kind of a 1 and 1a type of situation where there is a legitimate argument for each player to be number 1. Personally I would choose Iginla over Fuhr though because he was slightly more dominant, and had less reliable teammates than Fuhr, plus he came pretty close to winning the 2004 Stanley Cup with a team of nobodies and Mikka Kiprusoff.

I would put Wayne Simmonds at least 6th all time ahead of Anson Carter and Mike Grier, although he is currently about level to Anson Carter's career production at this point in time.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
What does that even mean "Fuhr was never about the numbers?" He just let goals in for fun?

From '83 - '88, you had guys like Barasso, Vanbiesbrouk, Peeters, Lindbergh, Liut, Froese, Hextall all having better seasons than Fuhr (feel free to look at the stats more closely, I just did a quick scan, so my argument may not hold up to scrutiny)

He won the Vezina in '88 because he played a lot of games and lead the league in wins, not because he was the best goalie in the league

As I said, he didn't care about GAA. He wasn't on the sort of team that did in the first place. They played a wide open game. They left him hanging a lot of the time because they knew he could bail them out. Think Curtis Joseph. He always seemed to play better the more rubber he saw and the Leafs were able to play a wide open game because of him back there.

There were goalies that had good individual seasons during this 1983-'88 time but which ones do you take over Fuhr for that whole time frame? Lindbergh died in 1985. Hextall was a rookie in 1987. Peeters was ordinary outside of a couple of years, Beezer had that good year in 1986. The only cases to be made would be Barrasso and Liut and there wouldn't be a GM that would make that trade. You think Glen Sather trades Fuhr in 1987 to the Sabres for Barrasso? Never. He was the only goalie that played for Canada in 1987 for a reason.

Puck Dogg

Puck life
Mar 13, 2006
1 - Grant Fuhr. Plenty of bling to show around.
2- Jarome Iginla. 1500 games and 1300 points.
3- PK Subban. Solid defenseman with scoring touch.
4- Dirk Graham. Selke Winner. Wore also trademark moustache.
5 - Seth Jones. Already a solid defenseman who just keeps getting better.
6- Tony McKegney. Journeyman with 600 career points
7- Wayne Simmonds. Going strong for 400 career points
8 - Dustin Byfuglien. Solid defenseman with offensive upside.
9- Johnny Oduya. Two Cups don't lie
10 - Evander Kane. Not quite made it yet, despite the potential

Honorable mentions: Georges Laraque who was good at what he was doing and Anson Carter. Got traded for Jagr, scored gold- medal winning goal in 2003 Worlds.

The Roy Of Ottawa

HOCKEY HALL OF FAME
Oct 4, 2017
Thank you for finally including Wayne Simmonds in the top 10. Kuddos for that.:thumbu:
And as a Sharks fan I love the Joel Ward honorable mention (outside your top 10, but heck, he's already earned $30+ million so **** him!).

But Johnny Oduya drops off the radar? Man, you'd think the honorable mention list would get longer instead of buzzcut at 12. He averaged 22:45 and 24:45 minutes per game on Stanley Cup championship squads, easily top-4 for the best team both postseasons. (Yeah, he's an old man skating the last couple of years, but seriously!)

YLDO2ZQFQBBTZES7XUW37PW4M4

Reactions: VanIslander

SovietWings

Feb 1, 2017
Pardubice
I learnt two new things from this thread:
1) Grant Fuhr is black. I probably always saw "wrong" pictures of him like this one:
getty_gfuhr.jpg

2) Jarome Iginla is black. I always thought he is Native-American.:huh:

So I kinda didn't expect either of them in this thread..:D But I would probably vote for Fuhr. They were both among the best for some time, but with Iginla I have a feeling is mainly because the others were taking off-years or having injuries. Basically one one who could be improvement over Fuhr is Roy, but there are more guys you could chose over Iginla around 2000 (Jagr, Forsberg, Lindros, Sakic...).

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

This whole discussion about Dirk Graham is really weird because when you look at pictures like the one above, he's really obviously black, with a nearly identical pigmentation/overall look to other mixed-race guys like Grant Fuhr and Ray Neufeld.

Yet when I was growing up, he was never identified as a 'black player' in the same way those guys were. I only learned he was black when he was hired to coach Chicago and was surprised until I looked at photos and was like 'oh ... how did I miss that?'

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Yet when I was growing up, he was never identified as a 'black player' in the same way those guys were. I only learned he was black when he was hired to coach Chicago and was surprised until I looked at photos and was like 'oh ... how did I miss that?'

I certainly remember discussions in the 80's and early 90's about Dirk Graham being black.

When he was named to the 1991 Team Canada roster I remember there being talk of him being the first African American skater to play for Team Canada and when he was named the Blackhawks captain (which I think happened after the Savard trade) it was definitely discussed as he was the first African American player to captain an NHL club.

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
Three pages in..... too many god damned back up goalies..... or should I say black up goalies? :sarcasm:

Anyways, for pure talent and being one of the best ever at his role, Donald Brashear supplants most of those goalies... some players too.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
I certainly remember discussions in the 80's and early 90's about Dirk Graham being black.

When he was named to the 1991 Team Canada roster I remember there being talk of him being the first African American skater to play for Team Canada and when he was named the Blackhawks captain (which I think happened after the Savard trade) it was definitely discussed as he was the first African American player to captain an NHL club.

Impossible. Blacks in Canada are not referred to as African Americans nor do they identify themselves as such. From my experience blacks in Canada refer to themselves as simply "Canadian" like everyone else. The "African American" term is as you would expect an phenomenon we only see in the US.

Reactions: 57special

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Let me put it this way: Jarome Iginla's mother is white, should he be included on a list of "Top White Players"?
Yes!

Let's also call Obama one of the great white orators of the 21st century. He had a White mother, and was brought up by his White Grandparents.

As a parent of mixed race kids, I, and we, find all of this stuff ridiculous. Calling some person Black, because some White guy from the U.S. two centuries ago( or whenever it was) made up some arbitrary law about who was White and who was Black, is just absurd. The " one drop rule" is/was something found only in the U.S., and usually in the southern States at that. No other country does this.

Celebrate both heritages. It's cool.

Last edited:
Reactions: Atticus Finch

The Roy Of Ottawa

HOCKEY HALL OF FAME
Oct 4, 2017
I used to think Clint Malarchuk was black because of this 88-89 panini sticker

363.jpg

Then I saw this

86019-18Fr.jpg

And I was a confused child for a very long time.

The Roy Of Ottawa

HOCKEY HALL OF FAME
Oct 4, 2017
I'm guessing he spent a lot of time in the sun that summer. As for the hair, I'm guessing the camera and the angel had something to do with it, and maybe he had moose in his hair or just got out of the shower.

Last edited:

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Yes!

Let's also call Obama one of the great white orators of the 21st century. He had a White mother, and was brought up by his White Grandparents.

As a parent of mixed race kids, I, and we, find all of this stuff ridiculous. Calling some person Black, because some White guy from the U.S. two centuries ago( or whenever it was) made up some arbitrary law about who was White and who was Black, is just absurd. The " one drop rule" is/was something found only in the U.S., and usually in the southern States at that. No other country does this.

Celebrate both heritages. It's cool.
I like your post.

I must say, I find this kind of thread (which is more about identity politics than biology) a bit uncomfortable. I just don't think we, the disconnected fan, should be applying culturally-loaded identity labels to people not involved in the conversation.

I mean, I get that the thread is well intended and everything, but people should decide for themselves what "race" they are. The public does not decide.

Let's take Dirk Graham, for example. If he said, publicly, "I'm black," then, okay, I guess it's fair enough to call him black. But if he didn't, then I don't think we get to decide it.

Since race doesn't biologically exist, it is really an identity marker and nothing else. So if Patrick Laine announces tomorrow that he's black, then he's black.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad