A Pearson
2 Richards
3 1st Team All-Stars
A 2nd Team All-Star

Fuhr has:
Only 1 Vezina
A 1st Team All-Star
A 2nd Team All-Star

By the looks of it, Fuhr never finished higher than 10th in SV% in any year he received Vezina votes

Last edited:

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
Anybody listing Fuhr #1 owes Iginla a handwritten apology

Iginla has:
An Art Ross
A Pearson
2 Richards
3 1st Team All-Stars
A 2nd Team All-Star

Fuhr has:
1 Vezina
A 1st Team All-Star
A 2nd Team All-Star

By the looks of it, Fuhr never finished higher than 10th in SV% in any year he received Vezina votes

A vote for Fuhr ahead of Iginla is just lazy or biased

Not picking sides but you forgot Fuhr's Jennings Trophy shared with Hasek & his 5 Stanley Cups

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Not picking sides but you forgot Fuhr's Jennings Trophy shared with Hasek & his 5 Stanley Cups

Fuhr had a 3.68 GAA and a .883 SV% in 1726 minutes
Hasek had a 1.95 GAA and a .930 SV% in 3358 minutes

I don't care about his 4 Stanley Cups anymore than I care about his Jennings Trophy

Last edited:
Reactions: chaosrevolver

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
I am guessing Iggy thinks of himself as being black more so. No question he is visually black. Graham you can't see it and this is why I never knew. Does anyone know what his history is? It sounds like he has two white parents and maybe a mixed race grandparent? Anyone confirm.

I have a close friend who knows Dirk and went to school with him, I'll touch base with him and post after he gets back to me.

Reactions: Big Phil

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Fuhr had a 3.68 GAA and a .883 SV% in 1726 minutes
Hasek had a 1.95 GAA and a .930 SV% in 3358 minutes

I don't care about his 4 Stanley Cups anymore than I care about his Jennings Trophy

That's a bit different there. For starters Hasek is a better all-time goalie. We agree? Secondly, Fuhr was on a team, in a particular decade, that was built to play a wide open game. Fuhr was left hanging a lot in the regular season. He gladly picked up the slack, and he probably wouldn't have had it any other way. So those numbers are deceiving. Fuhr was part of the reason the Oilers were allowed to play a wide open game.

I personally think a poll on Fuhr vs. Iginla is a good one. I mean, from my viewpoint it would be a good discussion. Maybe Iggy wins, but it isn't as if he walks away with it.

Reactions: Howie Hodge

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
That's a bit different there. For starters Hasek is a better all-time goalie. We agree? Secondly, Fuhr was on a team, in a particular decade, that was built to play a wide open game. Fuhr was left hanging a lot in the regular season. He gladly picked up the slack, and he probably wouldn't have had it any other way. So those numbers are deceiving. Fuhr was part of the reason the Oilers were allowed to play a wide open game.

I personally think a poll on Fuhr vs. Iginla is a good one. I mean, from my viewpoint it would be a good discussion. Maybe Iggy wins, but it isn't as if he walks away with it.

I thought it was pretty obvious those numbers I posted were just from his Jennings winning season with Buffalo in '94

Technically Fuhr has a Jennings, but you or I would as well if we'd been Hasek's backup that year

There is no argument for Fuhr > Iginla

Last edited:

Dhockey16

Jun 23, 2011
Erie, Pennsylvania
It's kind of fascinating that there's a debate about what qualifies a person as being black. I googled a picture of this Dirk Graham guy, and, I mean, c'mon guys. He's obviously not a black person.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Donald Brashear #87
GettyImages-57259765.0.jpg

Reactions: Killion

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I thought it was pretty obvious those numbers I posted were just from his Jennings winning season with Buffalo in '94

Technically Fuhr has a Jennings, but you or I would as well if we'd been Hasek's backup that year

There is no argument for Fuhr > Iginla

Oh I knew it was, I was just talking in general about Fuhr that numbers were never his big thing. Not that he was better than Hasek in 1994 or anything. He wasn't, we all know this for sure.

I don't see how you can say that there is no argument for Fuhr over Iginla though. I think there is at least a reasonable discussion. We are talking about a Vezina winning and dynasty goalie here. We should do a poll about it.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Oh I knew it was, I was just talking in general about Fuhr that numbers were never his big thing. Not that he was better than Hasek in 1994 or anything. He wasn't, we all know this for sure.

I don't see how you can say that there is no argument for Fuhr over Iginla though. I think there is at least a reasonable discussion. We are talking about a Vezina winning and dynasty goalie here. We should do a poll about it.

What does that even mean, "numbers were never his big thing"?

And what does it matter if he was the goalie during a dynasty? He never lead the playoffs in SV%, so it seems to me any number of goalies during that era could've backstopped the Oilers to multiple Stanley Cups

We are talking a Vezina winning goalie with just a single Vezina and a single 1st Team All-Star selection - both in '88

Iginla is a 3x 1st Team All-Star, with an Art Ross, a Pearson and 2 Richard trophies

If you really think it's worth discussion, then say something of substance other than "Fuhr won Cups with arguably the best team ever, oh, and he has a Vezina"

That's not nearly enough to trump Iginla's accomplishments. Not even close!

I don't care what the results of the poll say, it's clear just based on this thread that Fuhr's career is being romanticized because he was A) the first black superstar and B) he won Cups

Neither of those things are relevant

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
my friend who grew up with Dirk Graham says he can't remember whether it was his mom or dad but one of them was either black or half black. Settles the debate, for me anyway.

Well... its kind of a techy subject I suppose, some of these guys like 25% or less of black heritage and again, in this case its my understanding Grahams' maternal Grandmother was either partially black or an African Canadian so thats one generation removed.... Regardless, most sensible people dont see color, ethnicity... they see a human being, an athlete, a player to be measured against his or her peers; race, religion, creed... irrelevant, moot. Your a Canadian, an American, a Swede, Finn, Russian or whatever. Country first.

Reactions: DaveG

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Well... its kind of a techy subject I suppose, some of these guys like 25% or less of black heritage and again, in this case its my understanding Grahams' maternal Grandmother was either partially black or an African Canadian so thats one generation removed.... Regardless, most sensible people dont see color, ethnicity... they see a human being, an athlete, a player to be measured against his or her peers; race, religion, creed... irrelevant, moot. Your a Canadian, an American, a Swede, Finn, Russian or whatever. Country first.

well in this case my friend grew up with him, knew him, went to school with him, is not a liar, is 100% credible and says one of his parents was black or half black. I understand other people don't know my friend and might question what he is saying but I would bet my life on him being accurate.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
well in this case my friend grew up with him, knew him, went to school with him, is not a liar, is 100% credible and says one of his parents was black or half black. I understand other people don't know my friend and might question what he is saying but I would bet my life on him being accurate.

... :laugh: easy easy there Iapyi... I'll take your word for it no problem.... Its just not something (color) that I think or care about beyond hoping that eventually we'll see a lot more African Americans gaining access to the sport at young ages in traditional & non-traditional markets... picking up hockey sticks, falling in love with the game & rather than pursuing Basketball or Football exclusively.... amateur hockey making in-roads, that its much more affordable (for everyone), the naturally talented black & white athletes from all socio-economic stratospheres opting for hockey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad