The Tomas Plekanec Thread

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Leafs pay for gud pros... or good role models. Boyle last
They go out in the first round again and that's 2 second rounders for a quick fix

2 second rounders? I hope you are not referring to Boyle.. he was incredibly instrumental in the leafs making the playoffs last season... I remember when we hit the slide at the end of the season last year he said something along the lines of “you guys talk about the kids a lot, but we have some veterans and we have pride and we know what we are capable of”.... something a long the lines of that.. which I felt was a message to the veterans that’s there is no excuse for losing, and being a young team wouldn’t be a crutch for them.

I felt like Boyle was the closest thing to a captain in the room from the time he was acquired until the time the leafs cleaned out their lockers, he was worth the price paid. Getting the youth the playoff experience at their young ages is huge.

Personally I love that we keep acquiring the gud pros, and continue to have our youth learn from the well rounded Boyle, Plekanec, Marleau and not the bobby Ryan’s, Rick nash’s, Kessels etc.

Two seconds < develop of our enormous cubboard of prospects, with great role models.

Reactions: Nooodles

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Leafs pay for gud pros... or good role models. Boyle last

2 second rounders? I hope you are not referring to Boyle.. he was incredibly instrumental in the leafs making the playoffs last season... I remember when we hit the slide at the end of the season last year he said something along the lines of “you guys talk about the kids a lot, but we have some veterans and we have pride and we know what we are capable of”.... something a long the lines of that.. which I felt was a message to the veterans that’s there is no excuse for losing, and being a young team wouldn’t be a crutch for them.

I felt like Boyle was the closest thing to a captain in the room from the time he was acquired until the time the leafs cleaned out their lockers, he was worth the price paid. Getting the youth the playoff experience at their young ages is huge.

Personally I love that we keep acquiring the gud pros, and continue to have our youth learn from the well rounded Boyle, Plekanec, Marleau and not the bobby Ryan’s, Rick nash’s, Kessels etc.

Two seconds < develop of our enormous cubboard of prospects, with great role models.

So why not re-sign him then if he was so important?
What, 23 games for a 2nd?
And I wasn't even really against it, but two years in a row now?

weems

Jul 3, 2008
It almost looks like the pace of play is too fast for him on many shifts.

Willing to give him more time but early returns have not looked inspiring.

EXPECT THE LEAFS

May 7, 2016
Yeah I dont think he's going to be matching up against their top line... I forsee that going to Matthews or Kadri lines.

Marchand was asked in an interview which opposing player he didn't like the most and after initially saying there was no one he ranted a bit about hating Plekanec.
The Leafs have known for quite a while that they are very likely going to play Boston in the first round of the playoffs and knowing this Lou went out and not only filled the need for a better 4th line center who can kill penalties but also one who may be in the head of one of the stars of the team you will be trying to get past in the first round.
It remains to be seen if Plekanec can get Marchand off his game, hopefully goaded into taking some stupid penalties, but if he can it may be the difference maker in what looks to be a very close playoff series.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
So why not re-sign him then if he was so important?
What, 23 games for a 2nd?
And I wasn't even really against it, but two years in a row now?

Well, the team was bound to pick up *someone* to improve the team running into the playoffs by adding experience and depth, and two straight years it has been centers. And they only turned out to be relatively low 2nd rounders. Would you have preferred that we spend 1st rounders as most of our serious competition has? Maybe multiple 1st rounders? And, its not just going to be 23 games after all. Could be 30, could be more depending on how deep the team goes in the playoffs with the added depth. Would you prefer us having to use Ben Smith if another center goes down to injury? Wonder how far that would take us?

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
Yeah I dont think he's going to be matching up against their top line... I forsee that going to Matthews or Kadri lines.
In Toronto I agree but in Boston there will be plenty of times they will match up together with Kapanen's speed causing them trouble hopefully.

IamruKusleaf

Mar 3, 2018
Maple Leaf Gardens
Turtle Hab TPlex

Hum Still waiting ..............

Wait until he gets a practice under his belt !!
Wait until he gets into a couple of games !!
Wait till he gets acquainted with the system !!
Wait till he gets used to his line mates and team !!
Wait till after the long break so he settles in !!
Wait
Wait wait
Wait ......

Still waiting

We will win in-spite of him !!

F€£¥k x Habs

Meh player with them
Awful with us

Sorry
ruKus calls it like I sees it !!
Gooooo LEAFS Goooooo!!

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Which is why the trade deadline is the biggest scam going.
I don't like giving up 1sts, 2nds or young guys like Kappy if it's not for a permanent solution.
He was not worth a 2nd no matter how you want to justify it. Overpayment.

We should have been the one scamming other teams getting a first, and an a+ prospect for JVR. If we resign him than nvm, but if we don't, what a waste of an expiring asset. Especially if Boston puts us away in the first round.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
We should have been the one scamming other teams getting a first, and an a+ prospect for JVR. If we resign him than nvm, but if we don't, what a waste of an expiring asset. Especially if Boston puts us away in the first round.

Piss poor management..... It pains me to think he walks for ZERO..

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
well they made a mistake this time. wasted a 2nd, i would have given away Valiev and Rychel for a 6th over returning pleks. He would have to absolutely play out of his mind in the playoffs for him to be worth the 2nd rnd pick. barely an upgrade on moore, especially at the cost of the 2nd

Reactions: SAMCRO44 and ToMaLe

mapleleafs34

Apr 7, 2011
Pleks will either score or be in on a big goal in the playoffs (just like Boyle was on Kap's OT goal in Game 2)

Remember this post.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Can't believe people are still complaining that we didn't trade JVR. I'm sorry but that's clueless.

You don't want to rebuild forever? 2015 was a much better season than this

Definitely don't want to rebuild forever, just saying it's a long term game. If we make it to the third round than I think everyone's happy and I will admit it was a great move to keep JVR (depending on how he plays ofcourse). We get bounced in the first round and JVR leaves well.... Would have been nice to have those pieces. Management made their decision so now you just hope the Leafs go as deep as possible.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Definitely don't want to rebuild forever, just saying it's a long term game. If we make it to the third round than I think everyone's happy and I will admit it was a great move to keep JVR (depending on how he plays ofcourse). We get bounced in the first round and JVR leaves well.... Would have been nice to have those pieces. Management made their decision so now you just hope the Leafs go as deep as possible.

Trading Leo, JVR and Bozak would tell the entire team, sorry we don't think you're good enough. We're in sixth place, we didn't need to be sellers. Why are people so eager to be the next Edmonton?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Trading Leo, JVR and Bozak would tell the entire team, sorry we don't think you're good enough. We're in sixth place, we didn't need to be sellers. Why are people so eager to be the next Edmonton?

There are some errors here...

1) Most thought we should make trades and not just sell. We needed better D and a depth C.
2) Most thought it was going to happen in July and was reported, but, Lou failed to make a deal.
3) Most if not all said if we trade him at the TDL, we immediately get a Top 4D

The comments were and still are legit. Polak was terrible again last night having pushed someone on our 1G the night before. We have a really really big problem with Polak going into the PO. I worry a lot less about Carrick but still have concerns with him as well. The Polak / Carrick spot is a weakness beyond what a true contender should have. No excuses for that. The argument is that we could sacrifice a little O for superior D and I agree with this still.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007

It's not a game. It's my family's future!

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012

1) Most thought we should make trades and not just sell. We needed better D and a depth C.
2) Most thought it was going to happen in July and was reported, but, Lou failed to make a deal.

The comments were and still are legit. Polak was terrible again last night having pushed someone on our 1G the night before. We have a really really big problem with Polak going into the PO. I worry a lot less about Carrick but still have concerns with him as well. The Polak / Carrick spot is a weakness beyond what a true contender should have. No excuses for that. The argument is that we could sacrifice a little O for superior D and I agree with this still.

Had we been trading players for players that's one thing, but most complaints I've seen are we didn't load up on picks and prospects. I thought Polak has looked okay recently, not great but I mean not bad for a 5th/6th D.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON

I'm in the middle here. What I wanted was to trade JVR and use those assets for a legit top 4. Trading JVR + for a top 4 would only really work for a contender that needs offense while having a plethora of D. There aren't many teams like that right now. Now if you have a 1st + a good prospect from JVR that opens up the pool of potential trading partners substantially. Now we can also deal with rebuilding teams who would value futures over a 28-year-old scoring winger.

Selling a UFA at the deadline doesn't equate to being the next Edmonton but I do understand your overreaction. It has been a very long time since we've been this good. We all want that thrill of being in the playoffs and having the opportunity to go deep. This team has been able to cover up Polak, Zaitsev's and occasionally Gardiners horrible play this season so why can't they do it in the playoffs right? Like I said I'm just looking at the long-term plan that's all. I do understand why fans would want to focus on the short term though. Nothing wrong with living for the moment. That is, until one of Kapanen, Liljegren or Johnsson is traded for that D help we need.

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015

polack has looked great lately and him breaking his leg last year is what lost us the playoffs.

People need to quit hating on this guy. He adds some much needed grit for the playoffs. Big hits. Tough in the corners. Clears the front of the net. Good pker.

The year before he was acquired by the Sharks to help them get to the Stanley cup finals.

What’s your definition of true contender?

Reactions: Gary Nylund

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
It's not a game. It's our Stanley cup hopes, it's our team's future...

It's not a game. It's my family's future!
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh you beat me to it lol

member 262271

I think if people are waiting for him to score points they're going to waiting a real long time. If he can do what he was brought in to do in the playoffs i'll consider this a win for the team. Thats about as objective as I can be with this guy 'cause to me it's still super weird seeing him in blue and white.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->