The Toews' Schedule (3 game series)

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Apologies if it's been posted before, but was listenin to "Puck Soup" and heard about Toews' idea for a schedule change- 3 game series in 1 city. Reduces travel, makes back-to-backs more fair, allows for rivalry and strategic changes. Thoughts? I'm not clear on the specifics so if anyone has more info please share, but that's the basic idea- 3 games in one city, 3 games in the other, over the course of a season. Feel like theatlantic probably has more details but I'm poor, so..

Introducing the Toews Schedule, a dramatically reimagined...

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
It’s certainly interesting. I’ll be honest, I really don’t know what to think of it, but I’m definitely not completely opposed. I think it’s worth consideration.

The rivalry aspect, especially against divisional opponents, is the most intriguing part about it to me.

I think one possible solution is that the NHL adopts this regular season schedule and goes back to the old playoff format. That way, the rivalries will take care of themselves during the season, and the playoffs will form additional ones. Best of both worlds.

Reactions: xgallantx

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
The current schedule is based around arena usage. There's very little room for changes, due to concerts football/basketball etc

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
That works out to 186 games schedule once Seattle joins the league.

Obviously it'd be more or less depending on the teams. East would face East more, maybe 2 and 2 or single games for West Coast teams.

Arena usage would be a concern, but it's also no reason to dismiss the idea- without specifics about each arena's scheduling it's tough to know either way, but I'd imagine the NHL could attempt to transition towards this sorta thing without too much trouble. They could start with 2 series against division rivals (so 3+3+3+3=12 games) and see how it works? Or try 2 and 2 at least and if it's not working you can go back- the current system ain't good either, so might as well see how having a team go to Denver for a few games instead of only 1 works.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
It’s probably not widely feasible, but in certain situations like with division rivals it would probably be nice to have a week of road games in the same place. Would also help with arranging practices.

A week in Vegas though? Oof. Talk about home field advantage.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I don't want to watch the same team 3 times in a row.

Also this would totally lead to certain teams getting unfair advantages, if they got to play a season series against a team while they had a bunch of injuries or something. What if that was a divisional opponent and you basically just sunk your season with a 1-week injury?

How about the schedule makers just don't suck, sometimes for absolutely no reason? Is that too much to ask?

Reactions: Prairie Habs

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
I don't want to watch the same team 3 times in a row.

Also this would totally lead to certain teams getting unfair advantages, if they got to play a season series against a team while they had a bunch of injuries or something. What if that was a divisional opponent and you basically just sunk your season with a 1-week injury?

How about the schedule makers just don't suck, sometimes for absolutely no reason? Is that too much to ask?

Who gives a f***, injuries are a part of the game. This is where depth comes in and playoff contenders usually find a way to win with that.

Reactions: Iceman

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
I listened to that podcast too and some of their reasons were pretty terrible. Like "if you were Montreal would you rather play Florida, carolina, and Columbus in a week, or would you play boston 3 times?" Yeah, that would happen once in the season. If you think those first three teams are undesirable to play all three in a row what happens when you have to play them nine times in a row?

Reactions: Iceman

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Problem is that teams that share with the NBA would need a work around their schedule. NBA is prime tenants or lead tenants in all arenas they use(part of their cba and rules).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad