OT: The Thread About Nothing 203

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
My phone has and internal app that will display what song is playing in the background on my lock screen. When it asked if I wanted to enable the app, it said something like "we will never listen to your conversations." When they have to say something like that, you know they are always listening. Through your cell phone virtually anyone can know just about everything about you if they wanted to.

This is why I dont get why anyone would want to have an Alexa in their home. Collecting everything you ask it, etc...

Reactions: tr83 and Darkauron

AveryQuietMan

free chinese food for everyone
Oct 2, 2017
This is why I dont get why anyone would want to have an Alexa in their home. Collecting everything you ask it, etc...

just growing pains. it seems sinister but if you dont ask about stupid things whats the problem? if u arent nuts what are you worried about?

we should all be monitored 24/7. technology will save us. what do we have to hide?

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
So, remember a few months ago we were talking about how savvy, clever, & perhaps even evil and creepy cookies are getting?

Well, usually I can at least figure out how they gain our data and/or track us, but this one I'm at a complete loss for. Here goes......

Last night I'm shopping for ski wax, and I wind up buying some directly from a website that's not very well known. I made a 2nd purchase from that same company, but through their EBAY store on EBAY (the 2nd item was cheaper for sale on their EBAY store than on their actual website).

Tonight I log-in to FB, and I get a "suggested post" from this website for a sale on ski tuning equipment and wax. So my question is, how the hell did FB get that? Did this little company send my IP address to FB for forward marketing opportunities? Does FB somehow have complete access to all of our cookies? Is GOOG (I was using Chrome) in cahoots with FB? I cant figure this one out.

The ad stuff happens all the time, once I view or research a product I might purchase the ads pop up immediately from my phone to my computer and vice versa no matter where I am.

The creepiest thing I've seen though is I've been on and off this dating app for a year or so. Any girl that I've dated and gotten a phone number for (and she has mine) pops up in my "suggested friends" or "people you may know" list on FB. That really freaked me out, and it happens immediately. The ones where I deleted her number or I assume she deleted mine don't show up in the the suggested friends thing.

Reactions: Darkauron

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The ad stuff happens all the time, once I view or research a product I might purchase the ads pop up immediately from my phone to my computer and vice versa no matter where I am.

The creepiest thing I've seen though is I've been on and off this dating app for a year or so. Any girl that I've dated and gotten a phone number for (and she has mine) pops up in my "suggested friends" or "people you may know" list on FB. That really freaked me out, and it happens immediately. The ones where I deleted her number or I assume she deleted mine don't show up in the the suggested friends thing.
I'm not a Facebook user (I have a fake name account, with no pictures and no friends, that I use to lurk and spy on people I know because you need an account to do so), but here's how I understand it.

I remember my friend getting on Facebook and seeing his ex-girlfriend's brother on the ''People you may know'' list. He was like ''How the f*** does Facebook KNOW that I KNOW him? We don't live anywhere near each other, we don't have any mutual friends''. We then found out that apparently, if someone looks you up and views your page, they automatically start showing up on that list. He then went on to say that he went out with this girl one time, then she appeared on that list about a week later. He seemed to think that she looked him up and viewed his profile.

BG may be on to something with the cookie thing though. That could be the cookie thing also triggering it. With that ex-girlfriend's brother though, he didn't have his phone number in his phone, nor ever called him through his phone or any device that he used to log on to Facebook with.

JK3

Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
I'm not a Facebook user (I have a fake name account, with no pictures and no friends, that I use to lurk and spy on people I know because you need an account to do so), but here's how I understand it.

I remember my friend getting on Facebook and seeing his ex-girlfriend's brother on the ''People you may know'' list. He was like ''How the **** does Facebook KNOW that I KNOW him? We don't live anywhere near each other, we don't have any mutual friends''. We then found out that apparently, if someone looks you up and views your page, they automatically start showing up on that list. He then went on to say that he went out with this girl one time, then she appeared on that list about a week later. He seemed to think that she looked him up and viewed his profile.

BG may be on to something with the cookie thing though. That could be the cookie thing also triggering it. With that ex-girlfriend's brother though, he didn't have his phone number in his phone, nor ever called him through his phone or any device that he used to log on to Facebook with.

Haha you FB stalker you haha. I know for sure that in a few situations we both didn't know each others full or last names so there was no FB stalking involved, just mutual phone numbers. It really is freaky and a bit disturbing.

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Haha you FB stalker you haha. I know for sure that in a few situations we both didn't know each others full or last names so there was no FB stalking involved, just mutual phone numbers. It really is freaky and a bit disturbing.
Perhaps it is the cookies tracking?

That is pretty scary.

Reactions: JK3

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Doesn't shock me. I guarantee they're Made In China, and the Chinese steal EVERYONE's IP. For all you know, they might be a legit copy of a fairly well-known brand.

They are made in China by a company called Bass Jaxxx. Names not on the packaging but did a little research and found it. For $5 I’m happy. Battery time is only 2-2.5 hours but I just wear them for short intervals anyway.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I went to the outdoor archery range this morning, what a mistake. It was so cold my fingers felt like they were going to break. The car said it was 25° but it felt much colder. After only 10 minutes I got back into the car and drove to Dunkin Donuts for coffee.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn

Either the Facebook app or the Messenger app is set up to sync with your contacts.

Reactions: JK3

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
I don't use the FB app, I go through the web browser, I don't know what's going on there.

It also could be whatever email you have your Facebook account linked to. If your contacts are linked to that email account they can get it from there also

JK3

Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
It also could be whatever email you have your Facebook account linked to. If your contacts are linked to that email account they can get it from there also

Yeah they're getting it from somewhere, just freaked me out when it happened, kinda creepy.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
Took my weld test today. Vertical 1 inch stick. God i hope I didn’t toss 300 bucks down the drain.

I'm sure you did well.

Welding is tough though. I got taught to stick weld in high school in a small engines class. That was not easy

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
just growing pains. it seems sinister but if you dont ask about stupid things whats the problem? if u arent nuts what are you worried about?

Ummmm..... GOOG & AMZN knowing everything that is happening in your house & being able to direct market it, and /or sell it to others?

No thank you!

we should all be monitored 24/7. technology will save us. what do we have to hide?

But then I read this and figured you must be being sarcastic.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
The creepiest thing I've seen though is I've been on and off this dating app for a year or so. Any girl that I've dated and gotten a phone number for (and she has mine) pops up in my "suggested friends" or "people you may know" list on FB. That really freaked me out, and it happens immediately.

Seems to me that must be a "share" agreement, which is horrible.

Either the Facebook app or the Messenger app is set up to sync with your contacts.

It cant be that simple, because I know exactly what he means, and I dont even have a "contacts" list, and the same sort of thing happens to me. I'm fairly sure IP address is the most important thing.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Just to show people how ridiculously niche this targeted marketing was:

Wax.gif

And the key here is, this "Artech" is NOT a big company, it's a small operation, which is what immediately alerted me to how odd this was.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
Holy shit can things get f***ed up badly from misreading tone in a text message. Spent the past 12 hours just kinda dealing with the fallout of tone being misread in a text......... and it suuuuuucccckkkkksssss..

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Went skiing in the Cats yesterday, and the conditions right now are virtually A.T. Now is the time to get after it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->