OT: The Thread About Nothing 203

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
My sleep schedule is a trainwreck. I slept from 5:45 till about 8:00 after I got home from work. I regularly take a nap after a work until around 7:00-8:00, unless I have something to do or I go hang out with someone. Usually wake up for 7:00 PM when the Devils games come on.

I went to bed around 11:50 or so, slept for close to 3.5 hours, just got up about 15 minutes ago. Probably won't sleep again until my post work nap at 5:30 tonight. Getting sleep in increments is probably the most unhealthy aspect of my lifestyle.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
I love seeing them and watching them. Especially in the spring when they get aggressive. Do you ever have trouble with predators trying to raid the chicken coup?

the coop is predator proof but the run is just framed chicken wire and a few glass sliding doors on their side as wind breaks) and in the winter some poly too. the run roof is aluminum.

but no, i havent seen any evidence of animals trying to tunnel into the run but i do know they come around…i started live trapping and relocating raccoons last fall as they started climbing the pear trees and eating my future 'electric nectar', got zero drink in the end …caught a bunch of them and a few possums here and there.

need to devise an inverse cone around the trunk with sheet metal this year so they cant get up

saw a fox sniffing around the coop back in december or so….i chased it off

i do let the clucks out to free range at the end of the day for 1-2 hours though and theyre usually out when im working on shit in the woodshop/shed and im near them

edit: i checked the legalities of trapping and relocating animals in ontario….its illegal to relocate them over 1km from where trapped. i checked a map and im right on the limit although its across on the other side of a small subdivision in a different forest area. i (obviously) dont tag them so i wouldnt know if the same one has been back a few times or not. oh well

also forgot to add got a couple skunk last year also….they didnt spray

Last edited:

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
the coop is predator proof but the run is just framed chicken wire and a few glass sliding doors on their side as wind breaks) and in the winter some poly too. the run roof is aluminum.

but no, i havent seen any evidence of animals trying to tunnel into the run but i do know they come around…i started live trapping and relocating raccoons last fall as they started climbing the pear trees and eating my future 'electric nectar', got zero drink in the end …caught a bunch of them and a few possums here and there.

need to devise an inverse cone around the trunk with sheet metal this year so they cant get up

saw a fox sniffing around the coop back in december or so….i chased it off

i do let the clucks out to free range at the end of the day for 1-2 hours though and theyre usually out when im working on **** in the woodshop/shed and im near them

edit: i checked the legalities of trapping and relocating animals in ontario….its illegal to relocate them over 1km from where trapped. i checked a map and im right on the limit although its across on the other side of a small subdivision in a different forest area. i (obviously) dont tag them so i wouldnt know if the same one has been back a few times or not. oh well

also forgot to add got a couple skunk last year also….they didnt spray
You're lucky. Everyone I know with chickens has some sort of predation. Hawks too. There is a pheasant farm not too far from my house and I'm not exaggerating, there are as many as 100 Hawks that hang there at any given time.

Bears too. They seem to love eggs, or any easy meal.

Im not sure live trapping does anything. An old guy in our neighborhood growing up was into racing pigeons and he would trap the racoons that raided him. He drive to a State Forrest about 30 miles away and he had one return. He knew it was the same one because of the size and a torn ear. 1 mile is probably less than a racoons home range although I don't know for sure. The old guy gave me $20 for every racoons I shot. :)

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I'm fortunate in that my body doesn't require much sleep.

I rarely get more than 6.5 hours because I dont need it, and 6 hours is my nightly sweet spot. I am completely operational on just 5 hours though, it's when I get less than 5 hours that I feel "tired".

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
I'm finding that the older I get, the less I can "sleep in".

I took myself a long weekend this weekend. Went to bed at 1am last night. Couldn't sleep past 9am. I mean, I'm good on 8 hours, but in my younger days I'd be in bed until at least noon with that one.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
You're lucky. Everyone I know with chickens has some sort of predation. Hawks too. There is a pheasant farm not too far from my house and I'm not exaggerating, there are as many as 100 Hawks that hang there at any given time.

Bears too. They seem to love eggs, or any easy meal.

Im not sure live trapping does anything. An old guy in our neighborhood growing up was into racing pigeons and he would trap the racoons that raided him. He drive to a State Forrest about 30 miles away and he had one return. He knew it was the same one because of the size and a torn ear. 1 mile is probably less than a racoons home range although I don't know for sure. The old guy gave me $20 for every racoons I shot. :)

ya, 1 km doesnt seem like it would do much, maybe thats why they set it at that.

oh well, short of offing them after i catch them i cant really do much else….and thats not something i'd really feel good about doing

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I'm fortunate in that my body doesn't require much sleep.

I rarely get more than 6.5 hours because I dont need it, and 6 hours is my nightly sweet spot. I am completely operational on just 5 hours though, it's when I get less than 5 hours that I feel "tired".
I need a good 7. Then a quick nap at some point in the day.

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013
I need a good 7. Then a quick nap at some point in the day.
Try to shoot for 8 most nights that I don't have a game.. sat is my night out (without sports), and work 5am sun morn so average 2-3 hr sleep sat night, 3 hr nap when I get home (depending on my hockey schedule).
Sleep will be even more limited when softball starts, and my 1 or 2 hockey teams begin the spring season (as a goalie always get asked to fill in daily, so I pick and choose those extras if I have time.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Try to shoot for 8 most nights that I don't have a game.. sat is my night out (without sports), and work 5am sun morn so average 2-3 hr sleep sat night, 3 hr nap when I get home (depending on my hockey schedule).
Sleep will be even more limited when softball starts, and my 1 or 2 hockey teams begin the spring season (as a goalie always get asked to fill in daily, so I pick and choose those extras if I have time.
I had a 10:30 start last night, didn't get home till 1-ish, in bed at 2, then had a coughing fit, wasn't asleep until at best 2:30. woke up this morning at 7:30, no nap, and work tomorrow, so have to skip out on open hockey tonight.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
So this past storm, and the storm induced Jay cloud which followed, brought 63" to Jay.

6 feet in 7 days at Jay Peak. But it's deep everywhere! Smuggs got 4.5 feet in the last 4 days. I was at Magic last weekend after they got 3 feet and it was awesome. Heading to Platty tomorrow, and I hear it's awesome there too, they got something like 5 feet in the last few weeks. Life is good!

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
So, remember a few months ago we were talking about how savvy, clever, & perhaps even evil and creepy cookies are getting?

Well, usually I can at least figure out how they gain our data and/or track us, but this one I'm at a complete loss for. Here goes......

Last night I'm shopping for ski wax, and I wind up buying some directly from a website that's not very well known. I made a 2nd purchase from that same company, but through their EBAY store on EBAY (the 2nd item was cheaper for sale on their EBAY store than on their actual website).

Tonight I log-in to FB, and I get a "suggested post" from this website for a sale on ski tuning equipment and wax. So my question is, how the hell did FB get that? Did this little company send my IP address to FB for forward marketing opportunities? Does FB somehow have complete access to all of our cookies? Is GOOG (I was using Chrome) in cahoots with FB? I cant figure this one out.

Last edited:

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
6 feet in 7 days at Jay Peak. But it's deep everywhere! Smuggs got 4.5 feet in the last 4 days. I was at Magic last weekend after they got 3 feet and it was awesome. Heading to Platty tomorrow, and I hear it's awesome there too, they got something like 5 feet in the last few weeks. Life is good!
Sounds like we are going to have good summer fishing in the North country!

Snow pack is my friend.

Snow pack = more water longer in the season. Usually means better and more reliable hatches/bug activity... otherwise snow is yucky :)

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Ventured into 5 Below today as it’s arguably my 4 year olds favorite store. Picked up a pair of Bluetooth earbuds since I hate the Apple EarPods and the way they fit my ear. For $5 I was shocked at how good they sound. Now I’m sure they’ll crap out in a few days but for the small amount of time I actually use headphones I’m happy so far.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
So, remember a few months ago we were talking about how savvy, clever, & perhaps even evil and creepy cookies are getting?

Well, usually I can at least figure out how they gain our data and/or track us, but this one I'm at a complete loss for. Here goes......

Last night I'm shopping for ski wax, and I wind up buying some directly from a website that's not very well known. I made a 2nd purchase from that same company, but through their EBAY store on EBAY (the 2nd item was cheaper for sale on their EBAY store than on their actual website).

Tonight I log-in to FB, and I get a "suggested post" from this website for a sale on ski tuning equipment and wax. So my question is, how the hell did FB get that? Did this little company send my IP address to FB for forward marketing opportunities? Does FB somehow have complete access to all of our cookies? Is GOOG (I was using Chrome) in cahoots with FB? I cant figure this one out.

I swear the phones listen to people. Had a conversation with a co worker about American Horror Story a few months ago. Never used my phone for it, never searched it, nothing. Next time I open Facebook the first thing i see is a sponsored link to something American Horror Story related. Coincidence? Probably but creepy AF.

Reactions: Darkauron

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Ventured into 5 Below today as it’s arguably my 4 year olds favorite store. Picked up a pair of Bluetooth earbuds since I hate the Apple EarPods and the way they fit my ear. For $5 I was shocked at how good they sound. Now I’m sure they’ll crap out in a few days but for the small amount of time I actually use headphones I’m happy so far.
I read that whole thing twice before I figured out that 5 below wasn't the temperature that you were talking about.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Snow pack is my friend. Snow pack = more water longer in the season. Usually means better and more reliable hatches/bug activity... otherwise snow is yucky :)

I went to check the depth atop Mansfield, but the snow stake appears to be "broken".

I've never seen that happen before, but I think what happened is perhaps it's that it's higher than their measure goes.

http://waw.w3.uvm.edu/empactdata/gendateplot.php?table=SummitStation&title=Mount+Mansfield+Summit+Station&xskip=7&xparam=Date&yparam=Depth&year[]=2017&width=1920&height=1080&smooth=0

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ

Doesn't shock me. I guarantee they're Made In China, and the Chinese steal EVERYONE's IP. For all you know, they might be a legit copy of a fairly well-known brand.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
What are the units on the X and Y axis?

Inches = X Date = Y

It. Is. DEEP. Out. There.

There was an avalanche in the notch between Stowe and Smuggler's Notch yesterday (link below), triggered by some 10th Mountain guys doing some training. Avalanche's & the East Coast are not usually a thing.

I'm also hearing be careful when skiing in the woods up north & not to go alone, because legitimate tree wells are developing. Tree wells & the East Coast are ALSO not usually a thing.

Vermont avalanche: Army mountaineering guide warns of dangers amid snowstorms

Last edited:

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey

Facebook pays out of the ASS for anything and everything they can get about people so they can target more ads toward you in their own site. It is really f***ing disgusting. Google sells what ever too bur Facebook creates and profiles everyone disturbingly so.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
I swear the phones listen to people. Had a conversation with a co worker about American Horror Story a few months ago. Never used my phone for it, never searched it, nothing. Next time I open Facebook the first thing i see is a sponsored link to something American Horror Story related. Coincidence? Probably but creepy AF.

Actually it is not a coincidence at all. When you install apps like fscrbook one of the permissions on there is to allow the use of your microphoe on your phones whenever you want.

It is proven if you talk about random shit around your phone like, oh I need to get some diapers or baby food for the kid, enough times it will automatically show those ads when you go on Fb most likely next because it heads that.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Actually it is not a coincidence at all. When you install apps like fscrbook one of the permissions on there is to allow the use of your microphoe on your phones whenever you want.

It is proven if you talk about random **** around your phone like, oh I need to get some diapers or baby food for the kid, enough times it will automatically show those ads when you go on Fb most likely next because it heads that.

My phone has and internal app that will display what song is playing in the background on my lock screen. When it asked if I wanted to enable the app, it said something like "we will never listen to your conversations." When they have to say something like that, you know they are always listening. Through your cell phone virtually anyone can know just about everything about you if they wanted to.

Reactions: Darkauron
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->