OT: The Thread About Nothing 203

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
I haven't, but I've heard universally good things about DPS Wailers.

My rock skis are old Salomon XScreams
My daily drivers are Line Prophet 90's
My powder skis are Rossignol S7's

And I just bought Rossignol Soul 7's for a dedicated east coast tree skiing ski when the snow is good at Jay Peak and Smuggs, etc... They're basically a more maneuverable, but less powder-specific version of the S7.

I've read good things about DPS skis. I may go with them. I'm waiting to hear back about what models he can get me, but he said they're all around 50% off or more. Like Ray Shero, when there's a steal, I take it.

And man I haven't been to Smuggs in so long. Last time I was there I was like 8 years old and thought I could snowboard, but that did not work out well.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I've read good things about DPS skis. I may go with them. I'm waiting to hear back about what models he can get me, but he said they're all around 50% off or more. Like Ray Shero, when there's a steal, I take it.

In terms of "steals", one other route you may explore is (lightly) used skis. I only buy used skis now. There's been a major technological improvement in demo bindings in the last decade, and they're no longer crappy and massively overweight. I buy used on EBAY or from ski shops and mountains getting rid of last year's demo fleet. You can look at pics and see which pairs were lightly used or were used & abused. For instance, the 2016 Soul 7's I just got I paid $327 for, and objectively I'd say they were only used 5 to 10 times, which is absolutely nothing in the life of a pair of skis. They came with Rossignol 120 bindings, and came waxed and tuned. That's about a $800 to $950 value by letting someone else depreciate them by using them 7 days or so.

man I haven't been to Smuggs in so long.

Probably my #1 most favorite eastern ski area.

Reactions: Davegarri

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
It was probably one of their seasonal holiday helpers that go and drop **** off at the door steps for the drivers.

You may be onto something.

I just got a UPS delivery 2 minutes ago, my normal driver was in the truck and a woman I've never seen before brought the package to my door. The driver (who I'm familiar with) usually works alone.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
Probably my #1 most favorite eastern ski area.

I've only been there that one time, but I remember it being pretty nice. I'll have to go back. I usually just went to Killington since that's where one of my buddies liked to go. Stowe is pretty nice as well.

Good idea with the used demo skis. Didn't even think of that.

You may be onto something.

I just got a UPS delivery 2 minutes ago, my normal driver was in the truck and a woman I've never seen before brought the package to my door. The driver (who I'm familiar with) usually works alone.

I had a few friends that did that during high school. They would tell me they would basically throw it on the porch or by the driveway and hurry back to the truck. The holiday helpers really don't give a shit about your package.

Scorcho

Twitter @AmateurAdult11
Apr 16, 2010
Space
Looks like i'll actually get to go skiing this season, after being forced off the mountain for financial reasons fo the past few years

i'm trying to get out to Colorado at the end of january, sadly i won't be able to bring my equipment west

my normal east skis are twin tip k2 171's

any recommendations for good boots/ski rentals out near denver?

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
any recommendations for good boots/ski rentals out near denver? sidebar, this is my first time skiing the west

You're in for a treat. You wont have a problem finding rentals, there are more ski shops out there than you can shake a stick at.

Be sure to hit Loveland. It's the closest ski resort to Denver, and yet people typically drive past it for the bigger mountains like Breckenridge and Vail, but it's a classic old-school great place.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Bud Light serves microbrewery with medieval cease & desist letter.

Budweiser's marketing has stepped-up its' game for real.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Had a very meh experience there. Especially since, while it was flurrying in Smugg's, Jay was getting multiple days of significant snow fall.

That can happen there, or vice-versa. Though Jay tends to get the most snow in the east due to orographic lift.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Depends how you define significant I guess. Jay is #1 in the east for snow, Smuggs is #2.

These Are The 15 Snowiest Ski Resorts On The East Coast
Surprised to see it that close.

I've been to Jay a dozen times or so, and legitimately had a solid fresh snow day about 10 of those times. I've left there with it still dumping cursing whoever it was in the group that needed to get back to work.

While my lone trip to Smugg's was the lightest of flurries(while Jay was getting dumped on).

Small sample on Smugg's, but Jay has consistently delivered for me.

Sidenote: My trip to Smugg's did include a night out off the mountain, saw this reggae band at some small bar, that was excellent.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I've been to Jay a dozen times or so, and legitimately had a solid fresh snow day about 10 of those times. I've left there with it still dumping cursing whoever it was in the group that needed to get back to work.

While my lone trip to Smugg's was the lightest of flurries(while Jay was getting dumped on). Small sample on Smugg's, but Jay has consistently delivered for me.

I love them both, but I pretty much prefer Smuggler's Notch. It has a significantly better trail system, whereas Jay Peak you go to to ski trees, which it's the best in the east for. Smuggs' trees are great too, but not as good as Jay Peak. That said, my absolute favorite tree skiing is the back bowl between Stowe & Smuggs, problem is, it's rare you can hit it.

The other thing is Jay has become packed with Canucks on weekends over the last 5 or 6 years since they built the waterpark, hotels, bars, ice rink etc. You need to look at a Canadian calendar, because if it's a Canuck holiday or Ontario/Quebec school break, the place is intolerable now.

I ski northern Vermont about 4 times per winter, so I hit them both each year, usually hopping to whichever one currently has the best snow.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I almost never ride weekends, so I don't have to deal with crowds.

What's your highest drop in at Jay. I've only gone Green Beret.

I'm scared to go any higher without a)TONS of snow and b)someone who knows where they are going.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Dang, just checked, and Jay had 491" of snow last year. And I didn't go.

I did go the year before when they had 208" for the season, but somehow I was there for a moderate snowfall.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
What's your highest drop in at Jay. I've only gone Green Beret.

I'm scared to go any higher without a)TONS of snow and b)someone who knows where they are going.

I almost never go to the top, because the tram line is such a colossal waste of the ski day. Usually it's at least a 30 minute line, sometimes 45 minutes, so I spend the bulk of my day riding The Flyer. The last time I rode the tram was probably 3 years ago! I think the only things I havent skied are the Face Chutes and Tuckerman's Chute, but I would do so if there was a ton of snow and it was midweek.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad