OT: The Thread About Nothing 203

Status
Not open for further replies.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
Catching up on this now that the "details" are coming out tonight, and holy crap, it's way worse than expected. Borderline rape in one instance, and it sounds like this will snowball like some other recent cases.

I hope these women clean Lauer and NBC's clock in court

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I used to watch this EVERY year as a kid, it was my favorite, but I hadnt seen it in a long time. Anyway here's just some of the crap fresh in my mind from watching it tonight.....

1) Rudolph gets rejected, ostracized, mocked, & laughed at by classmates solely because of his physical appearance.

2)When Rudolph turns to the school for help, the teachers are even meaner than the children, and literally wont even let him play games with other kids, so Rudolph runs off crying.

3) Rudolph's own father (Donner) acts like his kid's a freak & tries to cover-up his physical imperfection with mud so the family wont be shamed.

4) Donner is disrespectful of his wife and puts her in her place!

6) The elf shop is like a Chinese labor camp for children where the workers are treated horribly and literally work nonstop in fear.

7) Santa is actually a jerk throughout most of this thing, except with Mrs. Claus, who totally has him completely p**** whipped into submission.

8) The entire misfit toy island sequence is what I've read LSD trips are like. A lion king with wings wont let them stay & boots them out into the dangerous arctic cold. What the actual *$*# is going on here?

9) They incapacitate the Bumble with a rock to the head & then rip out all his teeth rendering him helpless, and only once he's completely helpless do they try to kill him with a pick ax!

10) The misfit bird was a misfit because he couldn't fly, but the bird is the only one dropped from Santa's sleigh without a parachute. Blooper or intentionally twisted? I'm not sure.

I’m surprised that there isn’t a petition to get the movie banned from tv with the way the Country is now. It’s really just a sign of the times and when it was created. Thinking back on shows like the Honeymooners and how the husband would threaten physical violence to his wife every episode and then you’d hear the laugh track encouraging him.

With all that being said, I prefer Raging Rudolph from Mad Tv.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
HF has been back to normal speed and accessibility for the past couple of weeks now as it was before the change for me. Know some of us were discussing this issue which seems to be resolved, hopefully for others as well.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
HF has been back to normal speed and accessibility for the past couple of weeks now as it was before the change for me. Know some of us were discussing this issue which seems to be resolved, hopefully for others as well.

Credit where it's due, I've seen far fewer problems lately as well.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
My brother just moved out to Denver for long term so it's looking that I'll be going out there skiing every Winter until he leaves to go somewhere else.

This leaves me with a need for new skis. I need a pair that can handle the powder, preferably twin tips. Anyone have any brand/model suggestions??

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I’m surprised that there isn’t a petition to get the movie banned from tv with the way the Country is now.

I said the EXACT THING to my gf the other night when we were watching it. I said, I bet they stop playing this soon. I said it right after the scene where Donner totally shuts down his wife.

Reactions: Ripshot 43

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
My brother just moved out to Denver for long term so it's looking that I'll be going out there skiing every Winter until he leaves to go somewhere else.

This leaves me with a need for new skis. I need a pair that can handle the powder, preferably twin tips. Anyone have any brand/model suggestions??

This is my department. I can answer this probably like Jim can answer trout fly questions. Skier style, height, weight, experience, type(s) of skiing you do and most often do?

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
This is my department. I can answer this probably like Jim can answer trout fly questions. Skier style, height, weight, experience, type(s) of skiing you do and most often do?

Awesome thanks for helping! I mostly do just your typical downhill skiing, but I do love glades and I'll throw in a couple rails and boxes from time to time which is why I want the twin tips. I've been skiing for about 10 years and I'm 5'11, 185lbs.

I'm not going to go back country skiing or anything, but the powder out west is a lot different than the "snow" (ice) here on the east coast lol. I got killed last year in deep powder out in Utah.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
Just felt a small earthquake here in south jersey

Just read on Twitter that there was a 4.4 in the Philly/Delaware/South Jersey area

------

I took on a role where I participate in a New Employee Orientation, basically just outlining what my office does and what we can do for them. They want to make a Welcome Video and now I have to talk for a minute on camera about how one of our "Core Values" has been "meaningful" to me, and I just want to die rather than vomit out the corporate speak I'm going to have to give. I only volunteered for this to get out of the office for two hours a week and get some free breakfast out of it. This sucks.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
I have an iphone and its notorious for popping up random generated sites saying you have won a free phone/gift. Since i got the new Iphone 8 I have only noticed it when i visited here on my mobile

Is that an iPhone thing? I assumed it was unscrupulous mobile ad sellers on some of the news sites I was seeing them on, because I only saw them on those sites. Good way to get me to not visit those sites anymore.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
Is that an iPhone thing? I assumed it was unscrupulous mobile ad sellers on some of the news sites I was seeing them on, because I only saw them on those sites. Good way to get me to not visit those sites anymore.
Ive had an iphone for the last 10 years about and recently as in the last 2-3 years everytime I would visit my normal sites I would get an fraudulant add that would cancel me out of that browser. I assumed it was an Iphone thing because I have never heard of any one else complain about it

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore

No, I have an Android phone and it happens once a week.

I just had it happen to me on Facebook

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
So on Cyber Monday, a site I often buy clothes from was having a pretty solid deal (30% off of everything), so I did all of my Mom's shopping that day.

Well, UPS decided to leave said package on the sidewalk outside of my apartment building while I was at work on Wednesday. I found the empty box in a garbage can down the street this morning.

I'm now out for blood.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Awesome thanks for helping! I mostly do just your typical downhill skiing, but I do love glades and I'll throw in a couple rails and boxes from time to time which is why I want the twin tips. I've been skiing for about 10 years and I'm 5'11, 185lbs.

I'm not going to go back country skiing or anything, but the powder out west is a lot different than the "snow" (ice) here on the east coast lol. I got killed last year in deep powder out in Utah.

From the above I'm guessing you're a very good skier.

The one thing I dont know is if you're using this solely for out west, or for east/west? If solely out west, I'd pick something that's 100mm - 110mm underfoot for frequent powder and/or lightly tracked >=6" skiing. If you're looking for east/west compromise, I think something ~90mm underfoot is your sweet spot, as it should have enough float to handle western powder (that isnt too crazy), while maintaining a good groomed or "no recent snow" performance.

As examples, my powder skis are 105mm & 110mm underfoot, my daily drivers are 90mm underfoot, and my early season/crappy conditions/Poconos skis are 67mm underfoot, and I am the same height as you and 5 pounds heavier, so pretty close. Since we're similar size and skier style, I imagine 178cmm - 182cm is roughly the right length for you.

As for twin tips, you might want to also consider partial twin-tips rather than full twin tips, unless you ride switch and do park a lot.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Brooklyn! I mean, I'm not shocked that it was stolen - I'm just sort of surprised that the UPS delivery person was stupid enough to leave a package on a sidewalk on a main street.

That's shocking. First day employee? I lived in Manhattan for almost a decade, received god-only-knows how many packages in that time, and never once did I have a FedEx, UPS, DHL, or USPS delivery person leave a package outside.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
From the above I'm guessing you're a very good skier.

The one thing I dont know is if you're using this solely for out west, or for east/west? If solely out west, I'd pick something that's 100mm - 110mm underfoot for frequent powder and/or lightly tracked >=6" skiing. If you're looking for east/west compromise, I think something ~90mm underfoot is your sweet spot, as it should have enough float to handle western powder (that isnt too crazy), while maintaining a good groomed or "no recent snow" performance.

As examples, my powder skis are 105mm & 110mm underfoot, my daily drivers are 90mm underfoot, and my early season/crappy conditions/Poconos skis are 67mm underfoot, and I am the same height as you and 5 pounds heavier, so pretty close. Since we're similar size and skier style, I imagine 178cmm - 182cm is roughly the right length for you.

As for twin tips, you might want to also consider partial twin-tips rather than full twin tips, unless you ride switch and do park a lot.

Thanks for your help! I was thinking pretty much the same of what you're suggesting. I definitely want them for both east/west so I'll probably go with something in the 90s.

Have you ever used DPS Skis? My brother has a discount through the national parks service where he can get them for a lot off.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
Brooklyn! I mean, I'm not shocked that it was stolen - I'm just sort of surprised that the UPS delivery person was stupid enough to leave a package on a sidewalk on a main street.

That's shocking. First day employee? I lived in Manhattan for almost a decade, received god-only-knows how many packages in that time, and never once did I have a FedEx, UPS, DHL, or USPS delivery person leave a package outside.

It was probably one of their seasonal holiday helpers that go and drop shit off at the door steps for the drivers.

I'd go to UPS and complain and see if I can get money back for it lol

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ

Ive had ongoing issues with UPS with leaving stuff by the mailbox on the street, but Fed Ex has always been good.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Have you ever used DPS Skis? My brother has a discount through the national parks service where he can get them for a lot off.

I haven't, but I've heard universally good things about DPS Wailers.

My rock skis are old Salomon XScreams
My daily drivers are Line Prophet 90's
My powder skis are Rossignol S7's

And I just bought Rossignol Soul 7's for a dedicated east coast tree skiing ski when the snow is good at Jay Peak and Smuggs, etc... They're basically a more maneuverable, but less powder-specific version of the S7.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
Yeah I'm not leaving this situation empty handed. In the immortal words of Kurt Russell,

"You tell 'em I'm comin', and Hell's comin' with me."

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
FedEx > UPS > USPS

The United States Postal Service, when it absolutely, positively, needs to be lost.

Living in an apartment building, it goes the exact opposite for me:

-The USPS can always get in my building, since that's where the mailbox is, so they bring my packages in.
-When UPS isn't leaving my shit on the sidewalk, they sometimes get in my building. If not, they leave a note telling me that they're bringing it to an Access point (Some store where I can go pick it up, and there's like 6 within a three minute walk of my apartment)
-FedEx doesn't even bother, and just keeps trying to redeliver in the middle of the day while I'm at work until they send it back to the store.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->