OT: The Thread About NaDa Thing 198 The Summer Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
I thought El Nino was supposed to be the hurricane killer? Doesn't seem to be a whole lot of difference yet...

If you look at the world satellite, you will notice how very few thunderstorms are coming off the African west coast. If this was a normal hurricane year for the Atlantic, there would be about twice as many storms.

If you look at the eastern Pacific, notice how many hurricanes and tropical storms are lined up one after the other on a parade toward Hawaii.

The Western Pacific was loaded with typhoons last month, though that weather pattern has slowed recently

http://www.accuweather.com/en/world/satellite

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
ya I know but it just seems like named storms are happening at a higher rate (per cell; about the same as usual despite teh lack of thunderstorms)

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Meh.

This thing seems to keep moving more to the West each day. Looks like I'm going to get it. It will just be a tropical storm by me. The tropical storms don't do much damage around here, things are more well equipped for that kind of stuff since this kind of stuff happens fairly frequently around here. I'm just pissed that it will probably rain nonstop for a day or two.

Haha I feel bad for my buddies in the Keys. They took a weekend trip to Key West, though they'll be leaving Sunday afternoon. Looks like it will be hitting there on Sunday evening.

They're on bikes too. Sucks for them.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I love the Keys, but I'm not a fan of Key West. That said, Key West would be a fantastic place to ride out two straight days of rain.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Comcast has infuriated me for the last time (which is impressive, because at this point I'm pretty sure I suffer from Cable television Stockholm syndrome), this time it was truly over-the-top, and so I'm looking at switching to Directv even though I dislike satellite TV.

With regards to the NFL Sunday Ticket, after your 1st year expires, do they make you pay for that in year 2 and onwards? Cant find that info on their website, which makes me suspicious.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Comcast has infuriated me for the last time (which is impressive, because at this point I'm pretty sure I suffer from Cable television Stockholm syndrome), this time it was truly over-the-top, and so I'm looking at switching to Directv even though I dislike satellite TV.

With regards to the NFL Sunday Ticket, after your 1st year expires, do they make you pay for that in year 2 and onwards? Cant find that info on their website, which makes me suspicious.

I'm gonna take a guess and say that they do make you pay after the first year. Are you talking about the promotion where they give you NFL sunday ticket if you sign up with them? I would say it's only for the first year.

I have no complaints with Directv other than occasionally if it's raining hard enough, it will cause the satellite to go out for a little. Or if there's a bad thunderstorm. In the few instances I have it go out, it doesn't stay out for too long. Even if it's a continuous rain storm. I'm also happy to say that it hasn't disrupted a Devils game for me in the 4 years that I've been here! There might have been one time that it started breaking up for a few minutes during a Devils game when there was a rainstorm.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I'm gonna take a guess and say that they do make you pay after the first year. Are you talking about the promotion where they give you NFL sunday ticket if you sign up with them? I would say it's only for the first year.

I have no complaints with Directv other than occasionally if it's raining hard enough, it will cause the satellite to go out for a little. Or if there's a bad thunderstorm. In the few instances I have it go out, it doesn't stay out for too long. Even if it's a continuous rain storm. I'm also happy to say that it hasn't disrupted a Devils game for me in the 4 years that I've been here! There might have been one time that it started breaking up for a few minutes during a Devils game when there was a rainstorm.

That is definitely a negative, but not a dealbreaker.

Do you do internet through Directv too?

Friends up in VT claim Directv's internet stinks, but I dont know if that's the case in NJ as well. I'll need to decide whether to keep Comcast internet, or bundle TV/internet with Directv.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
That is definitely a negative, but not a dealbreaker.

Do you do internet through Directv too?

Friends up in VT claim Directv's internet stinks, but I dont know if that's the case in NJ as well. I'll need to decide whether to keep Comcast internet, or bundle TV/internet with Directv.

Actually I don't have internet through directv. I'm not sure if they had started doing internet yet when I moved here 4 years ago, so I didn't get it with them and never made the switch.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
These Liberty Mutual car insurance spots are insufferable.

The NERVE the insurance company had raising my rates after I wrapped two cars around telephone poles!

njdevsfn95

Help JJJ, Sprite.
Jul 30, 2006
Personally I dislike the ads claiming car insurance fraud costs me 1300 a year.

Because when I tell my insurance company that they dont listen and give it back.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
These Liberty Mutual car insurance spots are insufferable.

The NERVE the insurance company had raising my rates after I wrapped two cars around telephone poles!

The one with that girl ''You named your car Brad! You did everything with Brad! 2 boyfriend, 3 jobs, nothing can replace BRAD!'' wow that's annoying.

She actually reminds me of a friend's fiancé. We all have that friend that has that annoying girlfriend that we don't like at all. And that girl in the commercial reminds me of her way too much, so that's already a strike against her. They look alike (girl in the commercial is a little bit cuter though) and even kind of sound alike.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
The one with that girl ''You named your car Brad! You did everything with Brad! 2 boyfriend, 3 jobs, nothing can replace BRAD!'' wow that's annoying.

She actually reminds me of a friend's fiancé. We all have that friend that has that annoying girlfriend that we don't like at all.

So true. And that's the most annoying of the bunch. That one almost reaches a, "somebody left the gate open" level of obnoxiousness.

But the entire Liberty Mutual advertising campaign specifically targets stupid people.

There's the "I get into a lot of accidents" commercial (a few of those actually), the "I cant parallel park" commercial, then there's the "I have no idea how depreciation works, and I dont know much about retail sales either " commercial (below).

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
I hate the depreciation junk. Everyone knows a car loses value the second you buy it. That's a risk you take buying a new car.

I've never bought a new car, and I honestly don't think I will. When I get to the point where I can afford to buy anything other than the cheapest thing I can find that actually moves, I suspect I'll just buy used cars that are a couple years old. It's easy enough to find those.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
have never bought new…..currently driving 98 tercel ...2000 bucks in '07 …since then have put in roughly 1000 in repairs ….. 3000 grand for 8 years…thats $375 a year to own the thing…to me thats essentially a free car

now say i buy a new car for say 20,000 and run it for 15 years…average $1300/year just to own it .. and then add in the inevitable repairs and that number goes up

ya, used is my preference ….and ive never had a lemon

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
How many miles do both of you drive per year?

It's tough to find a decent used car on the cheap. I still shake my head that a 3 year old Honda Accord is still $17,500. I'll buy new for another $3K.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
have never bought new…..currently driving 98 tercel ...2000 bucks in '07 …since then have put in roughly 1000 in repairs ….. 3000 grand for 8 years…thats $375 a year to own the thing…to me thats essentially a free car

THIS is how it's done.

I too, will never own a "new" car. It's a losing proposition if you're good at math.

That said, I will say that currently we're in a bit of a bizarro world where used car prices have soared due to the economic crisis and Obama's "Cash for Clunkers" program, which basically screwed up the supply/demand in the used car market. That said, experts say it will be back to normal about 2 years from now.

A friend of mine from my MBA program, his family owns 6 Chevy/GMC dealerships in the Toronto area, he told me that finance people and/or people who excel at mathematics are the WORST people to try to sell to. He claims they do tons of research, try to nickel and dime you at everything, and honestly arent even worth the time/effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->