The sugar offer i was talking about ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
"Profit sharing; if it tops 100 million it's a 50/50 share"
This is the sugar i was talking about, if its true. There is little hope to believe it is, but its been reported in some form or another by many of mainstream media types, so its fair to talk about.

Anyhow, maybe the players have known all along they will have to accept a cap and were just waiting for bettman to stop being an a-hole and put some sugar on the table.

If the players were to vote on any of the other models we have heard from the NHL, its a no brainer to turn down. However, adding in real profit sharing is a new wrinkle that no other capped league has.

The final "shock and awe" they can put on the table is full pay for this season.

In reality, if the season is cancelled, the players will have lost in 1 season (1.5billion) what the owners lost in 10 !!!

DR

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
every week, they've been saying "this is it...the final week"

I don't believe anyone at this point....until Bettman say "The Season is Cancelled", I'll continue to have a shread of hope

please Mr.Bettman, end it soon

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
This was the one that caught my eye too. Its an interesting approach. Similar to Buffaloed's idea of splitting the luxury tax 50/50. It might be an interesting carrot. A quid pro quo for accepting a ceiling. But that level and the revenue sharing are still details that have to be overcome.

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
e-townchamps said:
every week, they've been saying "this is it...the final week"

I don't believe anyone at this point....until Bettman say "The Season is Cancelled", I'll continue to have a shread of hope

please Mr.Bettman, end it soon

I hear what you're saying. But say next Monday... February 7th. A deal isnt done. Do you see a possible season starting up after this date? If they did the season would be under 20 games. And that is just pushing it.

ScottyBowman

Mar 10, 2003
Detroit
Visit site
Scugs said:
I hear what you're saying. But say next Monday... February 7th. A deal isnt done. Do you see a possible season starting up after this date? If they did the season would be under 20 games. And that is just pushing it.

I believe that its already too late. We are at Feb 1st right now and it should take 14 days to start the season after a cba has been approved. Even if a miracle happened, we are talking about Feb 18-20 and that is just too late to have a meaningful season. I know people are desperate for hockey but its better to start fresh.

wazee

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
ScottyBowman said:
I believe that its already too late. We are at Feb 1st right now and it should take 14 days to start the season after a cba has been approved. Even if a miracle happened, we are talking about Feb 18-20 and that is just too late to have a meaningful season. I know people are desperate for hockey but its better to start fresh.
I go back and forth on playing this season. On another thread someone put up the best reason I've heard for playing this season...it gets the awkward time that always follow a shut-down out of the way. Seems smart. Better than letting the fans simmer all summer....

Cully9

Oct 15, 2004
DR said:
The final "shock and awe" they can put on the table is full pay for this season.

In reality, if the season is cancelled, the players will have lost in 1 season (1.5billion) what the owners lost in 10 !!!

DR

This is exactly why the owners held the upper hand in negotiations from the beginning, but the players stubbornly refused to acknowledge as much. Hey, the owners can get by not losing as much as they do when playing, but the players are scraping together peanuts in comparison to their NHL salaries.

Luc Labelle

Lucius 895 Injuries
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2005
Winnipeg
DR said:

This thought is sickening, the players decided not to play and push the owner's to cave in. They should never get a penny back that they have lost. If they did not want to lose any money then they should have negotiated around a cap before the season started. You can't have it both ways.

red devil

Oct 14, 2004
The profit sharing actually begins over $115 million, and Burke said the document was circulated to all 30 teams. This is still less than $4 million profit per team, so it does seem like a fair compromise. The league will have to give a comprehensive description of their revenue sharing plan, before there is a season.

littleHossa

Apr 7, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
Is this a 1 year thing for the players or for the whole CBA? The players getting a share of the profits after each teams pockets $4 mil is a steal to them, an owner would pay $200 mil to buy a franchise and their profits would be already cut short at the $4 mil mark, it's a big compromise for the owners.

ScottyBowman

Mar 10, 2003
Detroit
Visit site
This profit sharing is confusing

What if Det/Tor/NY/Phil/Montreal make $80 mil profit combined, and the rest of the teams put together make $80 mil combined. How would they divide the profits? Would the teams that make the most money pay the most or would it be split equally by each team in the league.

SENSible1*

ScottyBowman said:
This profit sharing is confusing

What if Det/Tor/NY/Phil/Montreal make $80 mil profit combined, and the rest of the teams put together make $80 mil combined. How would they divide the profits? Would the teams that make the most money pay the most or would it be split equally by each team in the league.

The league would owe the PA 160-115 * .50= 22.5M.

Why should the PA care how the owners decide to seperate out each teams share of that figure as long as they get their cash???

mooseOAK*

DR said:
This is the sugar i was talking about, if its true. There is little hope to believe it is, but its been reported in some form or another by many of mainstream media types, so its fair to talk about.

Anyhow, maybe the players have known all along they will have to accept a cap and were just waiting for bettman to stop being an a-hole and put some sugar on the table.

If the players were to vote on any of the other models we have heard from the NHL, its a no brainer to turn down. However, adding in real profit sharing is a new wrinkle that no other capped league has.

DR

If the players knew all along that they would have to accept a cap that is certainly not 1.5 billion well spent.

That's what makes this so insane, there isn't that big a difference between what the owners want and what the players want that justifies the players giving up that much money to get their way.

SENSible1*

mooseOAK said:
If the players knew all along that they would have to accept a cap that is certainly not 1.5 billion well spent.

That's what makes this so insane, there isn't that big a difference between what the owners want and what the players want that justifies the players giving up that much money to get their way.

It's actually worse when you consider that they are going to give up that much to get the OWNERS way.

Which is exactly what Marvin Miller was pointing to when he ripped Goodenow's tactics.

ladybugblue

May 5, 2004
Edmonton, AB
trahans99 said:
Is the profit sharing between each team or does the 50/50 over 115m go to the players?
From what I could see the profit sharing is with the players. Kinda like a bonus for the rest of us folks if the company you are working for does exceptionally well. Not to say everyone has this type of perk where they work but I think it is one of the better perks IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad