The Stasny's brothers

harper

Feb 4, 2006
If you mean peter, anton and marian...they played for czechoslovakia. Peter later played for canada and then slovakia when it became independent. The stastny offspring would play for the states

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
yan was born in st. louis but wasn't paul born in quebec city?

Yan and Paul (the youngest of the 4 kids, IIRC) were both born in Quebec; moved to NJ and then St. Louis, which they consider home from what I have read. They grew up playing in the US hockey system in St. Louis.

There have been several articles over the years on their background and why they play for Team USA if you do a search on the internet.

Andrej Cicman

Dec 27, 2006
Yan and Paul (the youngest of the 4 kids, If I recall correctly) were both born in Quebec; moved to NJ and then St. Louis, which they consider home from what I have read. They grew up playing in the US hockey system in St. Louis.

There have been several articles over the years on their background and why they play for Team USA if you do a search on the internet.

both of them can play also for Slovakia. but only on the World Cup.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
You're from Slovakia right? Is there any article about the subject? Do Slovakians have an opinion of this?

It is true that players have more leeway regarding the team they play for at the World Cup. The reason is it is not an IIHF event. All tourneys governed by the IIHF fall under the IIHF rules, the World Cup, for example, did not in 2004.

Dainius Zubrus played for Russia on the 2004 World Cup team, but retains his ability to represent Lithuania in IIHF events.

On the broader topic, there are older threads that we could probably track down on the topic of international events and changing teams with all the details about the prior rulings and changes regarding IIHF rules, as there have been modifications and appeals over time.

note: my comment was regarding the World Cup comment not Slovakian's perspective on the Stastny's. Included wrong post in the quote, sorry about that.

Last edited:

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
You're from Slovakia right? Is there any article about the subject? Do Slovakians have an opinion of this?
Most people dont like the fact but we got used to it last season when Yan played for the US. Then it was a bigger outcry. Now, its not really as we all knew he would play for the US when Yan did.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->