The Soviets have left the ice ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frightened Inmate #2

Jun 26, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Thank you so very much for that clip! If it only was real video/player....

That was a pretty good elbow to the head of Khalamov though.... that video is a small glimpse at the way in which the Flyers played at the time.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The Soviets were playing scared based on reputation. The hit on Kharlamov is greatly overblown.

What isn't is the domination of the Flyers that day ... 4-1 .. outshooting them 49-13.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
David Puddy said:
What is it that Fred Shero used to say, "If you can't win in the alley, you can't in on the ice?"

That was Conn Smythe.

One of Shero's favorites was "Arrive at the puck in ill humor."

The night they truly became the "Broad Street Bullies" was December 29, 1972 in Vancouver. http://www.flyershistory.com/cgi-bin/boxscore.cgi?19720290

Four Flyers went into the stands after someone reached over and grabbed Don Saleski by the hair as he was fighting with Barry Wilcox.

On the return trip to Vancouver 4 Flyers had to appear in court, most assumed it would be a quiet night ... that wasn't to be the base and their reputation was cemented.

Dupont bloodied Bobby Schmautz with a high stick and Clarke and Macliesh scored shorthanded during thr Canucks 5 minute pp. Flyers went on to win 10-5 http://www.flyershistory.com/cgi-bin/boxscore.cgi?19720437 .. and Andre "the Moose" Dupont had an all-time quote after the game (spoken in a heavy French accent):

"That was a lot of fun. We don't go to jail, we beat up their chicken forwards, we score ten goals, and we win. And now the Moose drinks beer." :yo: :yo:

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Yeap Philly was the toast of the NHL back then. This was just before Montreal won four Cups in a row. The Flyers won by some skill and a lot of brut intimidation.

jb**

Big Phil said:
Yeap Philly was the toast of the NHL back then. This was just before Montreal won four Cups in a row. The Flyers won by some skill and a lot of brut intimidation.
whether people want to admit it or not they changed the face of the NHL

Injektilo

Feb 3, 2005
Taiwan
The way the Canadiens of the late 70's showed there was another way to win is what makes them one of my favourite teams.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
John Flyers Fan said:
That was Conn Smythe.

One of Shero's favorites was "Arrive at the puck in ill humor."

The night they truly became the "Broad Street Bullies" was December 29, 1972 in Vancouver. http://www.flyershistory.com/cgi-bin/boxscore.cgi?19720290

Four Flyers went into the stands after someone reached over and grabbed Don Saleski by the hair as he was fighting with Barry Wilcox.

On the return trip to Vancouver 4 Flyers had to appear in court, most assumed it would be a quiet night ... that wasn't to be the base and their reputation was cemented.

Dupont bloodied Bobby Schmautz with a high stick and Clarke and Macliesh scored shorthanded during thr Canucks 5 minute pp. Flyers went on to win 10-5 http://www.flyershistory.com/cgi-bin/boxscore.cgi?19720437 .. and Andre "the Moose" Dupont had an all-time quote after the game (spoken in a heavy French accent):

"That was a lot of fun. We don't go to jail, we beat up their chicken forwards, we score ten goals, and we win. And now the Moose drinks beer." :yo: :yo:

That has always been my favorite quote by a hockey player, bar none.

monkey_00*

John Flyers Fan said:

John Flyers Fan....................

Thanks very much for that wonderful clip.....brings back alot of great memories and THAT'S exactly the way you have to play against them in order to be successful........on paper those Russians had the better roster but when it's style VS style it's a whole nother story altogether........this is a classic case of what I like to call; "CULTURE SHOCK" for those talented Russians. :D

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
monkey_00 said:
John Flyers Fan....................

Thanks very much for that wonderful clip.....brings back alot of great memories and THAT'S exactly the way you have to play against them in order to be successful........on paper those Russians had the better roster but when it's style VS style it's a whole nother story altogether........this is a classic case of what I like to call; "CULTURE SHOCK" for those talented Russians. :D

That's not the way you should play against anybody.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
I watched a tape(not sure if it was this particular game) Where a Canadian player hit a Russian player and it looked almost exactly like Bertuzzi on Moore. :eek:

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
Not to be nitpicky, but were the Flyers offside on that goal? It's kind of hard to see the blue line so I'm not entirely sure.

As for the hits, they were all borderline dirty/legal. The last one probably should have been a penalty. I've certainly seen alot worse that didn't have a team quit on a game.

DJmastamind

Jan 26, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
www.beckett.com
Thanks for the clip. I guess that is one of the only ways to play against the Soviets, however, i'm not a huge fan of the rough stuff. Hockey should be fast paced, with lots of creativity, and speed. Blow by someone. ya know

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
DJmastamind said:
Thanks for the clip. I guess that is one of the only ways to play against the Soviets, however, i'm not a huge fan of the rough stuff. Hockey should be fast paced, with lots of creativity, and speed. Blow by someone. ya know

It was far from being a goonfest all night. Flyers outshot them 49-13 ... and Shero designed a great game plan.

They lined up 4 across the blueline and used just one token forechecker. The Soviets refused to adapt and wouldn't dump & chase, so they kept re-grouping in the neutral zone, hoping to get the Flyers to chase, so they could use their speed and creativity. The Flyers disciplined apprach had the Soviets befuddled.

espo*

My favourite part of the night was when the soviets walked off the ice and refused to play and some flyers fan held up a sign saying "tell it to the czar"........Gotta love those Philly fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad