The Sky Is Falling!!!

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Silfverberg has been playing huge minutes without Getzlaf in the lineup. He's been playing 20+ minutes in three of the games, including 23+ minutes twice. .

If I actually thought that RC was doing that to save the minutes on Silfverberg than maybe I'd think that way, but I don't think that has anything to do with it. I think he just thinks Shaw is some awesome penalty killer. Getzlaf was coming off an injury and Carlyle played the shit out of him. He got more PK time than anyone other than Wagner. Silfverberg's ice time is a good point, but like I said, I don't think that's the reason for Shaw's PK time.

Vermette played 20.35 against Buffalo. No need to play them anymore at this moment. I'm happy with RC using Shaw and Grant minutes on the PK right now. .

Why are you cherry picking one game to make a point? Vermette is averaging 14 minutes a game. I'm not aware of him leaving a game early so unless I'm mistaken, he's averaging 14 minutes a game. Despite his struggles, I think he's a much better penalty killer than Shaw. No reason he should be averaging approximately half the amount of PK time as Shaw.

And our PK is currently ranked tied for 7th in the league, so it's a complete non issue.

I never said our PK was an issue.

Tied for 7th at 82.8% is very good especially considering all our injuries. How anyone can complain about our PK with all our injuries I just can't understand.

Who is complaining about the PK?

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Who is complaining about the PK?

"Shaw is currently getting more PK time per game than. Silfverberg?!? that's a ****ing joke. I honestly don't think Shaw is that great on the PK. He's capable, but he isn't very good IMO. A complete joke that he's getting more PK time than some of these guys."

I would call that a complaint about the PK. The PK is working fine and we don't want to have Silfverberg getting so much PK time when he isn't needed and we have all these injuries and need him more the rest of the time.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
"Shaw is currently getting more PK time per game than. Silfverberg?!? that's a ****ing joke. I honestly don't think Shaw is that great on the PK. He's capable, but he isn't very good IMO. A complete joke that he's getting more PK time than some of these guys."

I would call that a complaint about the PK. The PK is working fine and we don't want to have Silfverberg getting so much PK time when he isn't needed and we have all these injuries and need him more the rest of the time.

Saying one player isn't very good at penalty killing is in no way saying the PK is bad or complaining about the PK.

I will tell you all day that Bieksa sucks. Does that mean I'm saying our defense sucks? No, clearly not.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Saying one player isn't very good at penalty killing is in no way saying the PK is bad or complaining about the PK.

I will tell you all day that Bieksa sucks. Does that mean I'm saying our defense sucks? No, clearly not.

Your complaining about player usage from a good PK when we have injury problems. No one should be complaining like this at all.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
If I actually thought that RC was doing that to save the minutes on Silfverberg than maybe I'd think that way, but I don't think that has anything to do with it. I think he just thinks Shaw is some awesome penalty killer. Getzlaf was coming off an injury and Carlyle played the **** out of him. He got more PK time than anyone other than Wagner. Silfverberg's ice time is a good point, but like I said, I don't think that's the reason for Shaw's PK time.

I agree that RC's intentions are questionable. I'm not supporting his decision to lean so heavily on Getzlaf, including on the PK, after just coming back from injury. Just saying, whatever RC's intentions are, I'm perfectly fine with Shaw, Rasmussen and Grant eating some of those PK minutes right now when we need Vermette and Silfverberg in more offensive roles.

Why are you cherry picking one game to make a point? Vermette is averaging 14 minutes a game. I'm not aware of him leaving a game early so unless I'm mistaken, he's averaging 14 minutes a game. Despite his struggles, I think he's a much better penalty killer than Shaw. No reason he should be averaging approximately half the amount of PK time as Shaw.

Because the most previous game is the best indicator of how he's going to be used in the next game, if Getzlaf is still out then. Sure, 20 minutes is a little extreme but 18 is defenitely likely.

And I don't know where you're getting "14 minutes a game" from. Vermette's playing 16.32 per game. With Getzlaf in the lineup the average is just above 15. Without Getzlaf his icetime has been nearly 17.

Another point worth making, which is easily forgotten, is the fact that Vermette has been sitting 10 minutes in the penalty box. That's obviously gonna have a negative impact on his icetime both on the PK and overall. Either way, Shaw is a winger and Vermette's a center. I don't really see how Shaw, who's only taken two faceoffs all season, is taking icetime from Vermette on the PK.

You could make the argument that Grant is taking icetime away from Vermette, or that Shaw is taking icetime from Silfverberg. But as long as our PK is working the way it has been so far I don't see any reason to change personell.

Anyway, the PK icetime is kinda skewed because of one game. That would be against Colorado in which Grant saw 5.10 minutes on the PK and Shaw saw 5.41. Meanwhile Vermette and Silfverberg only saw 1.10 and 1.20 respectively. Aside from this game, the icetime on the penalty kill has been much more evenly distributed beteween the four, with Cogliano and Wagner doing the most heavy lifting.

Oct 18, 2011
To respond to the posts directed at me...

-I don't have a problem trying Raks at center but he's not positioned for success right now because of the injuries. He needs time to adjust and he's having to take on way more than he's ready for.

-My point about the Gulls players is that they can bring more of a skill element. Right now our bottom 6 is grinder city, we're struggling offensively, yet are not trying to see if these others can contribute. Fiore was here and wasn't even given a real opportunity, Randy pigeonholes players instead evolving with his bottom 6

-IRT defense my point is icing Holzer/Beauch/Bieksa or even Megna is not the only option. We have others but that they can try but aren't doing it

I am also disappointed that we have such trash media that didn't ask why Getz and Eaves were playing when they were still dealing with injuries.

I don't see a reason to panic but I do think it's valid to question the roster usage and being content icing terrible lineups. We are seeing the value of Getz and Kes which is why the organization needs to protect them

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Your complaining about player usage from a good PK when we have injury problems. No one should be complaining like this at all.

I was discussing a player with another poster and you made some ridiculous generalization. Like I said: If I say "Bieksa sucks", do you think I mean the entire defense sucks? If the answer is no, which it should be, then apply the same logic. Saying one player is bad in a certain area doesn't mean the entire unit is. That's ridiculous and just a bad assumption on your part.

If you don't like people complaining about parts of specific players' games, then I'd recommend not bumping every player discussion thread after each game. There is nothing wrong with discussing strengths and weaknesses.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
I agree that RC's intentions are questionable. I'm not supporting his decision to lean so heavily on Getzlaf, including on the PK, after just coming back from injury. Just saying, whatever RC's intentions are, I'm perfectly fine with Shaw, Rasmussen and Grant eating some of those PK minutes right now when we need Vermette and Silfverberg in more offensive roles..

I think his intentions have a lot to do with it. I would be more on your side of the fence if I actually thought Carlyle was attempting to monitor the minutes, but I don't feel that way at all honestly. Unless they are playing hurt, Carlyle will run the players into the ground each game. It's stupid, but that's just him. Anyway, since I feel it's unrelated to resting players, this is why I mentioned in the initial post about Carlyle's usage of him. Like I said earlier, I think Shaw has been better than last year, but he's still not very good, and I don't think he's that good of a penalty killer at all.

Because the most previous game is the best indicator of how he's going to be used in the next game, if Getzlaf is still out then. Sure, 20 minutes is a little extreme but 18 is defenitely likely. And I don't know where you're getting "14 minutes a game" from. Vermette's playing 16.32 per game. With Getzlaf in the lineup the average is just above 15. Without Getzlaf his icetime has been nearly 17..

That's fair and a good point. I think we're seeing it's a bit early to judge ice times because variables like you mentioned have more of an impact due to limited amount of games played. I looked at wrong data point I guess. I swear I looked at this yesterday and it said 14, but you're right, it's 16.32. I use this link a lot for ice times: http://www.foxsports.com/nhl/anaheim-ducks-team-stats?season=2017&category=ICE+TIME&group=1&time=0

Again though, I think this has to do with Shaw, not Vermette.

Another point worth making, which is easily forgotten, is the fact that Vermette has been sitting 10 minutes in the penalty box. That's obviously gonna have a negative impact on his icetime both on the PK and overall. Either way, Shaw is a winger and Vermette's a center. I don't really see how Shaw, who's only taken two faceoffs all season, is taking icetime from Vermette on the PK..

I agree that the PM's are a good point. I disagree about Vermette not losing PK time to Shaw. Carlyle consistently likes to use multiple centers on the PK because of faceoffs. I definitely think Shaw is taking away from Vermette's PK time. He has regularly paired centers together on the PK. He'll sub one or both out if there's an opportunity after the faceoff sometimes though.

You could make the argument that Grant is taking icetime away from Vermette, or that Shaw is taking icetime from Silfverberg. But as long as our PK is working the way it has been so far I don't see any reason to change personell..

See above. I don't think it's like that because Carlyle consistently puts multiple centers out.

As far as the last sentence: I'm not complaining about the PK. This conversation was on Shaw and how Carlyle is using him.

Anyway, the PK icetime is kinda skewed because of one game. That would be against Colorado in which Grant saw 5.10 minutes on the PK and Shaw saw 5.41. Meanwhile Vermette and Silfverberg only saw 1.10 and 1.20 respectively. Aside from this game, the icetime on the penalty kill has been much more evenly distributed beteween the four, with Cogliano and Wagner doing the most heavy lifting.

Yeah, hard to read much into the numbers with so few games played.

Reactions: Elvs

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
I was discussing a player with another poster and you made some ridiculous generalization. Like I said: If I say "Bieksa sucks", do you think I mean the entire defense sucks? If the answer is no, which it should be, then apply the same logic. Saying one player is bad in a certain area doesn't mean the entire unit is. That's ridiculous and just a bad assumption on your part.

If you don't like people complaining about parts of specific players' games, then I'd recommend not bumping every player discussion thread after each game. There is nothing wrong with discussing strengths and weaknesses.

Comparing Bieksa getting too much ice time when he sucks and the team had been healthy before is very different to complaining about PK ice time from players when we have a roster ravaged by injury. Silfverberg has already been playing almost 20 min a game we don't need to increase it with more and more PK time.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Comparing Bieksa getting too much ice time when he sucks and the team had been healthy before is very different to complaining about PK ice time from players when we have a roster ravaged by injury. Silfverberg has already been playing almost 20 min a game we don't need to increase it with more and more PK time.

You're just generalizing too much on your assumptions or just simply making wrong ones.

Our defense has been very short handed and if I say Bieksa isn't good at defense, in no way am I saying our entire defense sucks, injuries or no injuries.

Elvs and I were discussing Shaw and Carlyle's usage/obsession with him. How you can take me saying "Shaw isn't a very good penalty killer" as "Our penalty kill sucks" is beyond me.

Is Shaw playing more minutes in general because of injuries? Yes, obviously. Do I think Shaw is only playing a primary PK position because of injuries? No. He was on PK quite a bit in last year's playoffs. We'll see when some more players come back. Honestly I don't expect his PK time to dip that much. Like I said, IN THE ORIGINAL post, one of the frustrations with Shaw is Randy's infatuation with him.

I'm kind of flabbergasted that I actually have to say this, but to save us the time: If I ever comment about a certain player's efficiency in a certain area (PK, PP, defensive game, etc.) please do not assume I am talking about the entire team/unit. Quite honestly I figured that'd be obvious.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
You're just generalizing too much on your assumptions or just simply making wrong ones.

Our defense has been very short handed and if I say Bieksa isn't good at defense, in no way am I saying our entire defense sucks, injuries or no injuries.

Elvs and I were discussing Shaw and Carlyle's usage/obsession with him. How you can take me saying "Shaw isn't a very good penalty killer" as "Our penalty kill sucks" is beyond me.

Is Shaw playing more minutes in general because of injuries? Yes, obviously. Do I think Shaw is only playing a primary PK position because of injuries? No. He was on PK quite a bit in last year's playoffs. We'll see when some more players come back. Honestly I don't expect his PK time to dip that much. Like I said, IN THE ORIGINAL post, one of the frustrations with Shaw is Randy's infatuation with him.

I'm kind of flabbergasted that I actually have to say this, but to save us the time: If I ever comment about a certain player's efficiency in a certain area (PK, PP, defensive game, etc.) please do not assume I am talking about the entire team/unit. Quite honestly I figured that'd be obvious.

My first post was "Tied for 7th at 82.8% is very good especially considering all our injuries. How anyone can complain about our PK with all our injuries I just can't understand. "

In case you don't know complain about PK involved usage in which you brought up in a earlier post.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
My first post was "Tied for 7th at 82.8% is very good especially considering all our injuries. How anyone can complain about our PK with all our injuries I just can't understand. "

In case you don't know complain about PK involved usage in which you brought up in a earlier post.

I would call that a complaint about the PK.

I literally asked you "who's complaining about the PK?" and this ^ was a part of your response. That's simply a bad assumption on your part.

The discussion was about Shaw and Carlyle's usage of him. I never said our PK is struggling or anything related. I said Shaw is capable of PKing but not that great at it. In no way is that a complaint about the PK unit's performance. None. Like I said, that's like telling someone who say's '"Bieksa sucks" that they are accusing the entire defense of being bad. Simply a poor assumption.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Let's brighten this thread up. Who's been better than you expected?

For me I'll say Wagner and Gibson. Wagner looks like a solid 4th line player, and doesn't look out of place on 3rd line. I hope he keeps it up. I like what I've seen from Gibby too. Seems to be playing with more confidence. I still don't like his tendency to fall forward when sliding side to side, but he's been great so far.

Honorable mention to Shaw. I still don't think he's very good, but he's been better than he was last season, which is nice to see.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Wagner for me,

Gibson doesn't look better then I expected in terms of his play, I expected him to play really well as he seems to play better with his back against the wall at times. But his increase in lateral mobility is fantastic news as that was the biggest thing holding him back (outside of injuries). I just hope his groin holds up.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Let's brighten this thread up. Who's been better than you expected?

For me I'll say Wagner and Gibson. Wagner looks like a solid 4th line player, and doesn't look out of place on 3rd line. I hope he keeps it up. I like what I've seen from Gibby too. Seems to be playing with more confidence. I still don't like his tendency to fall forward when sliding side to side, but he's been great so far.

Honorable mention to Shaw. I still don't think he's very good, but he's been better than he was last season, which is nice to see.
I've said it before, Gibson is a professionally injured person who moonlights as an excellent goalie.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Gibson, Wagner and Kase in his extremely limited minutes.

Grant has been much better than I thought too. I got my assessments of him and Rasmussen wrong, I have no issue with Grant on the 4th line. Rasmussen though hasn't shown anything. He looked half decent for the Hawks when I saw him but this year he looks like an AHLer.

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013
I'd say Wagner, Grant and Shaw. All three have shown that they can be solid 4th liners, good penalty killers and even contribute past that to a degree. I'd say Wagner is the most impressive of the bunch. All in all it gives us a useful 4th line that could, and should, see more ice time than ours did last year.

Eaves playing in over 10% of our games so far was also better than I expected!!!!!

I'd also agree that Gibson's lateral movement has been great. But I still kind of expected him to be better than last year. I think he's the real deal and expected him to be a strength for us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad