News Article: The Skinny on Copp's Arbitration Hearing

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Thought this piece might interest some here for it's description of the arb process from the inside out. Also an interesting look into how a bright, articulate new-gun NHL player approaches and copes with the process.

What really happened at Andrew Copp's arbitration hearing --...

I'm plugging in a few brief extracts -- less than 2% of the article, so well under standard copyright.

The road to Copp’s two-year, $2.28 million AAV arbitration award was a long one. It wasn’t always easy for Copp to wrap his head around — especially given that the day he received Winnipeg’s arbitration briefing (and the dollar figure it contained) was a day he’d have preferred to spend celebrating the success of one of his best friends. On July 19, the exact same day Jacob Trouba signed his seven-year, $8 million AAV contract extension in New York, Copp got his first look at Winnipeg’s two year, $1.5 million AAV offer.

[...]

This calls Copp’s future into question … Doesn’t it?
Here is Copp’s answer to that question, unedited:
“No. That’s not a part of my thinking at all. We were hoping to sign longer than two years for sure. We’re at a place where I’ve learned my way around the city a little bit. I’ve got friends here. I’m definitely not asking for a trade or anything like that. I’m not crossing this city off the list of places for when I have the opportunity to go whichever direction I want. When the time comes again in two years, hopefully we’re at a place where I’m happy with my role and my value here and they’re happy with where I’m at and we can come to some sort of agreement.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
nice interview. I chucked at the part with Trouba and Copp at the gym

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Thought this piece might interest some here for it's description of the arb process from the inside out. Also an interesting look into how a bright, articulate new-gun NHL player approaches and copes with the process.

I'm plugging in a few brief extracts -- less than 2% of the article, so well under standard copyright.

The road to Copp’s two-year, $2.28 million AAV arbitration award was a long one. It wasn’t always easy for Copp to wrap his head around — especially given that the day he received Winnipeg’s arbitration briefing (and the dollar figure it contained) was a day he’d have preferred to spend celebrating the success of one of his best friends. On July 19, the exact same day Jacob Trouba signed his seven-year, $8 million AAV contract extension in New York, Copp got his first look at Winnipeg’s two year, $1.5 million AAV offer.

[...]

“No. That’s not a part of my thinking at all. We were hoping to sign longer than two years for sure. We’re at a place where I’ve learned my way around the city a little bit. I’ve got friends here. I’m definitely not asking for a trade or anything like that. I’m not crossing this city off the list of places for when I have the opportunity to go whichever direction I want. When the time comes again in two years, hopefully we’re at a place where I’m happy with my role and my value here and they’re happy with where I’m at and we can come to some sort of agreement.
It's a great interview. I love Copp. He's a fiery competitor, and it comes out in the way he approached arbitration. But he's also a realistic team guy. I think he could be a really good long-term Jet.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014

[...]

Thanks for posting this.

Till now, I felt Copp wanted out of here, but maybe not. I love how he has developed and would like to see him stick around past his rfa years

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Good article. I think the process is flawed and designed to create animosity. A MLB style of arbitration where the arbitrator is forced to pick one side would force both parties to present what they deem as fair arguments.

Having said that the system has changed and depth pieces are getting squeezed now. So players of Copp's role are going to start getting less and less as the stars demand more.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Copp might be my favorite Jet. I love his interviews and love how he plays the game. To me he feels like a natural leader and a great teammate and the type of depth player you win with.

scarbrow21

Feb 15, 2017
Winnipeg
If anyone is underrated on the Jets, I think it' Copp. I'd love to see him get a chance to move up the lineup. I'd love to see him between Laine and Ehlers/Connor.

I actually hope to see a few different combinations this season.
It used to be Lowry that was underrated now it's Copp. If Copp gets a chance to play in the middle with Laine and Ehlers I think he'll excel however I don't see that. What he might actually get is a shot on the top line with Scheid and Wheeler if Connor doesn't sign soon. That could also do end up being very good for him as he didn't look out of place when he got that opportunity before

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Great interview. I respect the points Copp made. However it does seem that the agent didn't insulate his client from the details of the process quite enough.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
It used to be Lowry that was underrated now it's Copp. If Copp gets a chance to play in the middle with Laine and Ehlers I think he'll excel however I don't see that. What he might actually get is a shot on the top line with Scheid and Wheeler if Connor doesn't sign soon. That could also do end up being very good for him as he didn't look out of place when he got that opportunity before

It’d be GREAT to see Copp on the first line!

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Copp will always be a fourth liner and fringe third liner unless he gets put with wheeler and sheif just like Crosby makes 3rd liners first liners. Love his game though.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Copp will always be a fourth liner and fringe third liner unless he gets put with wheeler and sheif just like Crosby makes 3rd liners first liners. Love his game though.

Copp was actually fine when he had a short sniff of 1st line duty with Scheifele&Laine and then a 5 game stint with Ehlers&Laine as a center if I remember it correctly. He played very fine, but Maurice dismissed ECL success by saying that the reason [why ECL was better than ELL] was that boys [Ehlers and Laine] got excited for the change [and not Copp being better fit].

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Copp might be my favorite Jet. I love his interviews and love how he plays the game. To me he feels like a natural leader and a great teammate and the type of depth player you win with.

I remember when we drafted him. Chevy mentioned that he was a natural leader and even threw around the word 'Captain'. TNSE thinks a lot of him I think.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Copp was actually fine when he had a short sniff of 1st line duty with Scheifele&Laine and then a 5 game stint with Ehlers&Laine as a center if I remember it correctly. He played very fine, but Maurice dismissed ECL success by saying that the reason [why ECL was better than ELL] was that boys [Ehlers and Laine] got excited for the change [and not Copp being better fit].

I'll trust your accuracy on the Maurice quote and add that that's one of the stupidest justifications ever to emanate from an idiot.

Reactions: Naturaledge

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad