The Size Question

AJ1982

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
So, early in the season there was a bit of a debate about Parise vs. Perry and how important size would be in the new NHL.

somebody said:
Guarantee you it won't be as big a factor. With the refs cutting down on contact in front of the net, AND everywhere else, size will not be as important since a big guy can't just push you around at will anymore without risk of a penalty. Now even little guys can plant themselves in front of the net if they so wish and use their quickness to tap in the loose pucks. Also, Reach is one thing big guys typically have... relatively slow feet are another. Perry's skating may have improved but Parise wins in the skating department hands down. The game is going to be much more of a speed game and that's going to give small speedy guys a bit of an advantage. It used to be we saw questionable players being picked early in the draft since they were 6'4 and 210 lbs, but now I think we'll see a lot less than that. Size will not be a part of the NHL job requirement anymore.

some other guy said:
Refs will only be cracking down on obstruction and not contact. The players will adapt (as they have been in the OHL) and size will still matter.

another guy said:
You're only fooling yourself with that one.

Size will be as important as ever, just watch.

the original somebody said:
All you guys saying size will carry the same weight as before need to watch Brian Gionta stand in front of the opposition's net and watch defensemen struggle to figure out how to move him legally. Guys do not have to pay the same price to be there anymore and even though you can push and shove if the player is taken down it is being called interference. Not saying that size is not an advantage but the era of the Bobby Clarke 6'2+ only hockey clubs is over.

So now that one season has been played, what does everybody think? Will size still be the advantage it once was?

badrobot101

Jan 16, 2006
Toronto
You'll never hear a GM say that he wants a smaller team. If you had two players on your target list at the draft, and they had equal amounts of skills/intangibles, you'd likely take the bigger one.

This may be why Bryan Little might not be drafted as highly as some predict. Although he may go in the top 8, who knows?

As a Leafs fan, part of me was hoping Little would be gone by the time we draft. However, since we're drafting at #13, I would now be thrilled if he fell to us. I'd rather have Sheppard or Sanguinetti, though.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
I think it really depends on position as Centers need to be Big in my opinion where as wingers it doesn't matter as much.

Defensemen can be anywhere from as small as 5'9" to as big as a wookie

Goalise also have a size range from about 6'00" to about 6'4" or 6'5" though ideally i think a 6'2" or 6'3" goalie is the best

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Size is just as important as ever, it's SPEED that is more prominent now.

So guys with BOTH speed and size are even more valuable than before.

Jarmo Kekalainen (Blues assistant GM) was on TV yesterday and he said that with the new rules hitting will be even more important as you can't legally slow down players with clutch & grab anymore. And the bigger guys are naturally better hitters (on average).

zoomba

May 11, 2006
Unionville, ON
I think size is still very important but gone are the days when players were blackballed because they weren't 6'0 tall.

Even though the game is being called tighter, there is still an advantage to having bigger stronger players. The difference is now teams are not loading up on big goombas who do nothing but stifle the offensvie abilities of other players.

Size is still a valuable asset, but teams are looking for big guys who can play, not big guys who prevent others from playing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->