OT: The Semi-irregular Music Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
I started out as a pure metal fan myself haha. Beethoven's late quartets were a life-changer for me, but in terms of newer stuff that could appeal to the heavier side, you might dig the 2nd mvmt from Shostakovich's 8th quartet (5:15 to 8:10...pretty intense):

Yeah, I enjoyed both of those. I know of Shostakovich mostly because of his war symphonies. I'm a fan of those early-mid 1900 powerful Russians, Shostakovich and Prokofiev.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Yeah, I enjoyed both of those. I know of Shostakovich mostly because of his war symphonies. I'm a fan of those early-mid 1900 powerful Russians, Shostakovich and Prokofiev.

I haven't even heard the war symphonies, so I'll give those a shot. I mostly know Prokofiev from the "Battle On The Ice" scene from Alexander Nevsky and I actually just listened to his 5th symphony for the first time the other day. Powerful stuff.

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
I haven't even heard the war symphonies, so I'll give those a shot. I mostly know Prokofiev from the "Battle On The Ice" scene from Alexander Nevsky and I actually just listened to his 5th symphony for the first time the other day. Powerful stuff.

Prokofiev composed the "Peter and the Wolf March" we all remember from Disney when we were kids. I love "Dance of the Knights" as well.

The story behind Shostakovich's war symphonies is the truly fun part. He released a number of them, starting with the 5th, and they were considered propaganda pieces for communist USSR but some believe that he was actually staunchly anti-communist and snuck lots of musical cues into the 5th to hide derision under a fake layer of Soviet pride.

Reactions: Warm Cookies

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
I started out as a pure metal fan myself haha. Beethoven's late quartets were a life-changer for me, but in terms of newer stuff that could appeal to the heavier side, you might dig the 2nd mvmt from Shostakovich's 8th quartet (5:15 to 8:10...pretty intense):

And I haven't heard anything quite like the harmonic and rhythmic effects in Bartok's music...he was truly original thinker, and it's hard to believe he was writing stuff like this in the 1920s. The 2nd mvmt from his 4th quartet always stuns me (6:55 to 10:10):

Try this on for size:

RizzleMcRib

Cheeseburgers and rocket ships.
Jun 17, 2014
Wherever there are cheeseburgers.
42475843681_a2071055fb_b.jpg

In my opinion the best solo Beatle album.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Anybody listen to the 5 Kanye-produced albums this month (Pusha T, Kanye, Kanye/Kid Cudi, Nas, Teyana Taylor)?

Pretty f***ing impressive for an artist to roll out 5 albums like that in so short a period. Unprecedented even.

Bryan Rust

Bryan Rust is my waifu
Mar 3, 2018
Helloween Tier
Helloween

Great tier
Megadeth
Gamma Ray
Racer X
Metallica (Mustaine years)

Good tier
Judas Priest
Iron Maiden
Slayer
Cacophony
Dragonforce
Austrian Death Machine
Rammstein

Meh tier
Pantera
Angel Witch
Mastodon
Steel Panther
Grim Reaper
Loudness
Exodus

Bad tier
Anthrax
Sabaton

Metallica tier
Metallica (post Mustaine)

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Anybody listen to the 5 Kanye-produced albums this month (Pusha T, Kanye, Kanye/Kid Cudi, Nas, Teyana Taylor)?

Pretty ****ing impressive for an artist to roll out 5 albums like that in so short a period. Unprecedented even.

All of them except Taylor. I mean there's only 7 tracks on each "album" and he's been working on it for like 1-2 years. But my favorite song is this.. The way he flips that Kurt Cobain sample is godly.

mrzeigler

.. but I'm not wrong
Sep 30, 2006
Pittsburgh
I’ve had Beck’s “Colors” album (great album; I could have picked any track to post and on any given day it would my favorite) on repeat for my daily commute this past week. I’m heading to Detroit next Friday to catch him live. I managed to get seventh-row seats for $107 per on StubHub, which for a guy with his catalogue is pretty crazy.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
42475843681_a2071055fb_b.jpg

In my opinion the best solo Beatle album.

I would probably have to agree. George was always my favorite Beatle, too. Not the "BEST" Beatle, mind you. But my favorite.

I was never the biggest Paul fan, I have to admit. Showtune Paul and all that. It was always kinda John and George for me. But as the years go on I have to say that I've REALLY come to regard "Ram" by Paul as right up there with ATMP. On some days maybe even better in my eyes. Always loved John's solo stuff too but... I dunno. There was never one particular album, as a whole, that struck me like ATMP and Ram.

Reactions: RizzleMcRib

RizzleMcRib

Jun 17, 2014
I would probably have to agree. George was always my favorite Beatle, too. Not the BEST Beatle, mind you. But my favorite.

I was never the biggest Paul fan, I have to admit. Showtune Paul and all that. It was always kinda John and George for me. But as the years go on I have to say that I've REALLY come to regard "Ram" my Paul as right up there with ATMP. On some days maybe even better in my eyes. Always loved John's solo stuff too but... I dunno. There was never one particular album, as a whole, that struck me like ATMP and Ram.
George was also my favorite Beatle , but like you said, not the best. I think the most complete solo Beatle was John.

I'll also add he is probably my favorite guitarist, again not the best, but my favorite. Something about the Rickenbacker 360/12 that he plays on "I Should Have Known Better" off of A Hard Days Night gets me every time.

Last edited:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
George was also my favorite Beatle , but like you said, not the best. I think the most complete solo Beatle was John.

I think John had the best overall catalog. If I'm being frank, apart from ATMP George's work is a bit thin. And I think I'm being kind. Though my nostalgia starts to tingle a bit over Cloud 9, cornball songs and all. Similarly I had little use for most of the stuff with Wings if we're talking about Paul. But his first two solo albums were pretty brilliant... especially Ram.

Basically George and Paul happened to put out the two albums that struck a chord with me as a whole. But John's overall work spanning ~ten years was more impressive.

All I know is that I consistently reach for Ram and ATMP moreso than any solo John record.

RizzleMcRib

Jun 17, 2014
I think John had the best overall catalog. If I'm being frank, apart from ATMP George's work is a bit thin. And I think I'm being kind. Though my nostalgia starts to tingle a bit over Cloud 9, cornball songs anda all. Similarly I had little use for most of the stuff with Wings if we're talking about Paul. But his first two solo albums were pretty brilliant... especially Ram.

Basically George and Paul happened to put out the two albums that struck a chord with me as a whole. But John's overall work spanning ~ten years was more impressive.

All I know is that I consistently reach for McCartney, Ram and ATMP moreso than any solo John record.
Bingo! While Ram is Paul's best solo album, I think Pipes of Peace of underrated.
When it come to Wings. I'm 100% all about the hits. Band on the Run, Jet, and Maybe I'm Amazed.
John's Plastic Ono Band is one album that competes with ATMP as my go to.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Oh yeah! I know a lot would disagree (Paul's corniness is an acquired taste) but I love all the Wings hits, too. It's just a bit barren in between.

POB has plenty of stuff with merit. I'm boring, though... I always favored Imagine.

Pipes of Peace is a good call. A deep cut. Something I would have overlooked years ago but found much more interesting later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->