OT: The Semi-irregular Music Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
GnR had a private invite-only show last night/this morning (3-1/2 hour show) at the Apollo in NYC. It wasn't really to commemorate of the 30th of Appetite for Destruction, but it was a special tour date that was aired live by SiriusXM. It is the first pro soundboard quality recording available to the public of the Not in This Lifetime tour since Axl, Slash, and Duff got back together.

They still sound incredible together, just mind blowing musicianship at every level. I've watched/listened to several periscope concerts starting with the Coachella appearance last year, but having an actual show in full stereo was phenomenal.

DFOyikwUMAAcVMP
20206005_10159121690255397_142349196_n.png

DFOzzNVVYAAJUAf

Solid review of last night's show: http://www.vulture.com/2017/07/guns-n-roses-live-at-the-apollo-review.html

People like to bag on Axl because his voice isn't the same as it was 25 years ago (he is 55 years old now), but he can still do great on almost all the songs, and still brings the house down (also has been ridiculous with AC/DC). Slash is as good as ever. He has put his own solos on some of the Chinese Democracy songs and nothing sounds out of place. And what can you say about Duff's bass tone? It'd be great to have Izzy back in the fold, as each of the original members brought so much to the sound of the band, but Richard Fortus is excellent in his own right. Hopefully we get some new music at some point, although I won't hold my breath.

As for Appetite, I listened to it today for the first time in a long time, start to finish. Put on hi-res headphones and had a really great experience.

Last edited:

RizzleMcRib

Cheeseburgers and rocket ships.
Jun 17, 2014
Wherever there are cheeseburgers.
GnR had a private invite-only show last night/this morning (3-1/2 hour show) at the Apollo in NYC. It wasn't really to commemorate of the 30th of Appetite for Destruction, but it was a special tour date that was aired live by SiriusXM. It is the first pro soundboard quality recording available to the public of the Not in This Lifetime tour since Axl, Slash, and Duff got back together.

They still sound incredible together, just incredible musicianship. I've watched/listened to several periscope concerts starting with the Coachella appearance last year, but having an actual show in full stereo was phenomenal.

DFOyikwUMAAcVMP
20206005_10159121690255397_142349196_n.png

DFOzzNVVYAAJUAf

Solid review of last night's show: http://www.vulture.com/2017/07/guns-n-roses-live-at-the-apollo-review.html

People like to bag on Axl because his voice isn't the same as it was 25 years ago (he is 55 years old now), but he can still do great on almost all the songs, and still brings the house down (also has been ridiculous with AC/DC). Slash is as good as ever. He has put his own solos on some of the Chinese Democracy songs and nothing sounds out of place. And what can you say about Duff's bass tone? It'd be great to have Izzy back in the fold, as each of the original members brought so much to the sound of the band, but Richard Fortus is excellent in his own right. Hopefully we get some new music at some point, although I won't hold my breath.

As for Appetite, I listened to it today for the first time in a long time, start to finish. Put on hi-res headphones and had a really great experience.

No *** way!
I don't know if I envy or hate you right now.

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I wasn't at the show, if that is what you are talking about. lol, would have been amazing though. I'm going to listen to the show from last night again tonight. Other than a couple of points in a few songs, I thought Axl was outstanding, and Slash was in total guitar god mode.

I always find Guns to be a great reset point. By that I mean, after listening to mostly new music for a while, I'll go back to Appetite or the Illusions start to finish and it just cleanses the palate and makes me appreciate what true rock n' roll is. The sonic fusion of elements of blues, jazz, punk, metal, etc. is just candy for the ear. There is just this level of passion and intensity, you can't duplicate it. Bands tried to sound like them, but couldn't pull it off, there was always something missing.

Last edited:

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
They were just too loud when I saw them. I'm not talking a good loud. This was a loud where you couldn't make anything out.

Speaking of loud, I saw Mogwai right when Come On Die Young was coming out. They were loud, but a beautiful loud. It was so amazing. Sad to admit, there are 2 bands that ever made me teary-eyed. Mogwai, and Brian Wilson when he was doing the Pet Sounds 50th. I will say if any of you ever get down to Knoxville, do whatever you can to check out the Tennessee Theatre. It is INCREDIBLE!!!!

HandshakeLine, I don't know if you read what I wrote about debut albums and stuff a few pages back. It kinda explains what I was talking about. I think you thought I was talking about ever.

Hahaha, no worries. I didn't take it personally, and i love the post, it's just been a long week so i haven't had time to reply in any depth. :cheers:

But just reiterating, **** Manny Theiner. :laugh:

RizzleMcRib

Jun 17, 2014
Hahaha, no worries. I didn't take it personally, and i love the post, it's just been a long week so i haven't had time to reply in any depth. :cheers:

But just reiterating, **** Manny Theiner. :laugh:

I was just making sure you didn't think I was crazy.

As a non-Pittsbughian (uhhh, I don't know what you guys are called) can someone explain who this guy is? From all these posts, he seems like a pretty likeable guy.

Last edited:

RizzleMcRib

Jun 17, 2014
I wasn't at the show, if that is what you are talking about. lol, would have been amazing though. I'm going to listen to the show from last night again tonight. Other than a couple of points in a few songs, I thought Axl was outstanding, and Slash was in total guitar god mode.

I always find Guns to be a great reset point. By that I mean, after listening to mostly new music for a while, I'll go back to Appetite or the Illusions start to finish and it just cleanses the palate and makes me appreciate what true rock n' roll is. The sonic fusion of elements of blues, jazz, punk, metal, etc. is just candy for the ear. There is just this level of passion and intensity, you can't duplicate it. Bands tried to sound like them, but couldn't pull it off, there was always something missing.

They are playing here (NC) in August. I don't have tickets, but me and my friends are going to go hang out Heavy Metal Parking Lot style. It's outdoors, so we'll probably be able to hear. I just hope he doesn't forget to take the child seat out of the minivan before we head up there.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
"!" is a great album. When I want weird, I go for the Paper Chase. I recently broke out God Bless Your Black Heart. Those are some miserable characters.

I'll throw you parties, I'll throw you parades, I'll throw you grenades.

John Congleton had another band called the Night Nite that was similarly strange.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
No lie, I used to not be able to listen to them at night if I was home alone.

I had an experience like that with this band called the Theory of Abstract Light. I got their only album to review and ended up listening to it for the first time during a power outage.

It's a bunch of ambience with foot steps, creaking doors and some sparse guitar playing. I just found it really unsettling for some reason. It's supposedly chronicling the nervous breakdown of the main guy behind the project. I'm pretty sure it's long out print, because the label it was on doesn't exist anymore.

Delirium Cordia by Fantomas is really creepy too.

RizzleMcRib

Jun 17, 2014
I had an experience like that with this band called the Theory of Abstract Light. I got their only album to review and ended up listening to it for the first time during a power outage.

It's a bunch of ambience with foot steps, creaking doors and some sparse guitar playing. I just found it really unsettling for some reason. It's supposedly chronicling the nervous breakdown of the main guy behind the project. I'm pretty sure it's long out print, because the label it was on doesn't exist anymore.

Delirium Cordia by Fantomas is really creepy too.

That sounds amazing!!!!

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Stars of the Lid were my favorite ambient noise act. Was supposed to see them live here at Backward on Forward in the early 2000's, but their vehicle broke down on the way and had to cancel. Finally saw them at the Warhol museum several years later and they were incredible. A train passed right before the outro of their final song and it blended in seamlessly.

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
Just as a general idea of my awful music tastes (and I can admit it), these are the first 50 songs that show up when I put my music player into Shuffle Mode :

1. Jimi Hendrix - "Voodoo Child" (Slight Return)
2. Tokyo Police Club - "Little Sister"
3. Hot Chip - "One Life Stand"
4. Matinee Club (The Modern) - "Industry"
5. Maroon 5 - "This Love"
6. MØ - "Pilgrim"
7. Calling All Cars - "Hold Hold Fire"
8. The Cardigans - "My Favorite Game"
9. Collapse - "Bulls*** Jam"
10. On Delay - "Waste West"
11. People in Planes - "Better Than Life"
12. Michi - "When You Loved Me Last"
13. Alex Karweit - "Everybody Run"
14. Sondre Lerche - "Crickets"
15. Cursive - "The Sun and the Moon"
16. Baddies - "Who Are You?"
17. Disco Biscuits - "You and I"
18. Koïn - "Twisted Transistor"
19. Scooter - "We Are the Greatest"
20. Technotronic - "Pump Up the Jam"
21. Cage the Elephant - "Teeth"
22. Johnny Marr - "I Want the Heartbeat"
23. Monster Magnet - "I'm Calling You"
24. Icky Blossoms - "Phantasmagoria"
25. Smashing Pumpkins - "Stand Inside Your Love"
26. Apartment 26 - "Axel Off"
27. Band of Skulls - "Tropical Disease"
28. Ringside - "Tired of Being Sorry"
29. Failure - "Heliotropic"
30. Fiona Apple - "Sleep to Dream"
31. Placebo - "Battle For the Sun"
32. Outkast - "Hey Ya!"
33. Fake? - "Rotate"
34. BM Linx - "Some Girl"
35. Royal Blood - "Better Strangers"
36. Earth Wind & Fire - "September"
37. Awesome New Republic - "Glowing Light"
38. The Slants - "Every Chance I Get"
39. Daft Punk - "One More Time"
40. Orgy - "Eva"
41. Information Society - "Above and Below"
42. Marilyn Manson - "I Don't Like the Drugs (But the Drugs Like Me)"
43. Nick Rowland - "Faith"(Phil York Remix)
44. VAST - "What Else Do I Need?"
45. Daysleepers - "Threnody"
46. I Hate Kate - "Inside Inside"
47. Information Society - "Dominion"
48. Luke Slater - "Take Us Apart"
49. Das EFX - "They Want EFX"
50. Pelican - "Deny the Absolute"

RizzleMcRib

Jun 17, 2014
Just as a general idea of my awful music tastes (and I can admit it), these are the first 50 songs that show up when I put my music player into Shuffle Mode :

1. Jimi Hendrix - "Voodoo Child" (Slight Return)
2. Tokyo Police Club - "Little Sister"
3. Hot Chip - "One Life Stand"
4. Matinee Club (The Modern) - "Industry"
5. Maroon 5 - "This Love"
6. MØ - "Pilgrim"
7. Calling All Cars - "Hold Hold Fire"
8. The Cardigans - "My Favorite Game"
9. Collapse - "Bulls*** Jam"
10. On Delay - "Waste West"
11. People in Planes - "Better Than Life"
12. Michi - "When You Loved Me Last"
13. Alex Karweit - "Everybody Run"
14. Sondre Lerche - "Crickets"
15. Cursive - "The Sun and the Moon"
16. Baddies - "Who Are You?"
17. Disco Biscuits - "You and I"
18. Koïn - "Twisted Transistor"
19. Scooter - "We Are the Greatest"
20. Technotronic - "Pump Up the Jam"
21. Cage the Elephant - "Teeth"
22. Johnny Marr - "I Want the Heartbeat"
23. Monster Magnet - "I'm Calling You"
24. Icky Blossoms - "Phantasmagoria"
25. Smashing Pumpkins - "Stand Inside Your Love"
26. Apartment 26 - "Axel Off"
27. Band of Skulls - "Tropical Disease"
28. Ringside - "Tired of Being Sorry"
29. Failure - "Heliotropic"
30. Fiona Apple - "Sleep to Dream"
31. Placebo - "Battle For the Sun"
32. Outkast - "Hey Ya!"
33. Fake? - "Rotate"
34. BM Linx - "Some Girl"
35. Royal Blood - "Better Strangers"
36. Earth Wind & Fire - "September"
37. Awesome New Republic - "Glowing Light"
38. The Slants - "Every Chance I Get"
39. Daft Punk - "One More Time"
40. Orgy - "Eva"
41. Information Society - "Above and Below"
42. Marilyn Manson - "I Don't Like the Drugs (But the Drugs Like Me)"
43. Nick Rowland - "Faith"(Phil York Remix)
44. VAST - "What Else Do I Need?"
45. Daysleepers - "Threnody"
46. I Hate Kate - "Inside Inside"
47. Information Society - "Dominion"
48. Luke Slater - "Take Us Apart"
49. Das EFX - "They Want EFX"
50. Pelican - "Deny the Absolute"

Cursive - I am Gemini is such a hated on album. Truly do not understand why.

Failure - Have you ever heard Year Of the Rabbit? It's another Ken Andrews project. Also, if you like Failure check out Longwave - The Strangest Things. Really really good.

RizzleMcRib

Jun 17, 2014
In my opinion, the best Motorhead album. A lot of people didn't like it because it wasn't "Motorhead" enough. Whatever. Brian "Robo" Robertson kills it on this album. Plus "Back at the Funny Farm" will melt your face.

35457857534_a3d1eb474f_b.jpg

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
Cursive - I am Gemini is such a hated on album. Truly do not understand why.

Failure - Have you ever heard Year Of the Rabbit? It's another Ken Andrews project. Also, if you like Failure check out Longwave - The Strangest Things. Really really good.

Not only am I familiar with Year of the Rabbit, but also On and Digital Noise Academy.

Not a big fan of Digital Noise Academy, though.

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
They are playing here (NC) in August. I don't have tickets, but me and my friends are going to go hang out Heavy Metal Parking Lot style. It's outdoors, so we'll probably be able to hear. I just hope he doesn't forget to take the child seat out of the minivan before we head up there.

They are in Little Rock, AR tonight (Sat, Aug 5). There is supposed to be something "larger than life" happening, according to some promo from a while back. Some speculation regarding having Izzy or Adler showing up for the show. Wish I could have made it but haven't felt great so I didn't get tickets. They will be in Tulsa, OK in November, I might try to catch them then, it is 100 miles closer for me as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->