OT: The Semi-irregular Music Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
I knew about the Racetraitor Fall Out Boy connection, I think one of those guys was also in Arma Angelus. I didn't know that song was about them, but that makes the title a whole lot more meaningful.

I'm​ the opposite, I saw Coalesce a couple of times and never got to see Botch. Coalesce was intense live, there were barely any breaks between songs. I geeked out because Sean Ingram complimented me for my Boysetsfire the Day the Sun Went Out hoodie after their set.

A friend and I saw Shai Hulud a few years ago on a bit of a nostalgia trip, they were still really good live. There's a weird grindcore connection too, because the former singer for Bodies in the Gears of the Apparatus was their merch guy. We had no interest in the opening bands so we just spent an hour and a half reminiscing about the 90's. We were trying to explain Jud Jud to the younger kid he was working with. He told us to make sure we harassed Matt Fox about liking E-Town Concrete, which we did.

I never went to any of the big fests, I could've gotten a press pass to one of the Hellfests but I couldn't get out of work. I went to Positive Numbers Fest in Erie, but I don't count that because it got cancelled when someone got stabbed. Not very posi.

RizzleMcRib

Cheeseburgers and rocket ships.
Jun 17, 2014
Wherever there are cheeseburgers.
I knew about the Racetraitor Fall Out Boy connection, I think one of those guys was also in Arma Angelus. I didn't know that song was about them, but that makes the title a whole lot more meaningful.

I'm​ the opposite, I saw Coalesce a couple of times and never got to see Botch. Coalesce was intense live, there were barely any breaks between songs. I geeked out because Sean Ingram complimented me for my Boysetsfire the Day the Sun Went Out hoodie after their set.

A friend and I saw Shai Hulud a few years ago on a bit of a nostalgia trip, they were still really good live. There's a weird grindcore connection too, because the former singer for Bodies in the Gears of the Apparatus was their merch guy. We had no interest in the opening bands so we just spent an hour and a half reminiscing about the 90's. We were trying to explain Jud Jud to the younger kid he was working with. He told us to make sure we harassed Matt Fox about liking E-Town Concrete, which we did.

I never went to any of the big fests, I could've gotten a press pass to one of the Hellfests but I couldn't get out of work. I went to Positive Numbers Fest in Erie, but I don't count that because it got cancelled when someone got stabbed. Not very posi.

You talking about this hoodie?

35242487933_3c495e47f0_b.jpg

Dude, Jud Jud... Haha. How did you explain that? Beavis and Butthead if they made hardcore noises? I remember I first heard them on some comp. I think it was a No Idea comp. I just remember it was all over the place. I think Less Than Jake and This Bike Is A Pipe Bomb was on it. Jeeezus E-Town Concrete was the worst. There was this girls that used to hang out with all of us. Everybody kinda made out with her. She was really big into them and 25 ta Life (who sadly enough is actually recording a new album :( )

Were you into the Posi scene? I was never really a straight edge kid but I did like some Good Clean Fun.

I'm sure you've heard of them, Sons Of Abraham? I remember there was this show, it was Indecision, Milhouse, Silent Majority, and this angry group of SxE Jewish kids. Those dudes were ANGRY, but oh so good.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
You talking about this hoodie?

35242487933_3c495e47f0_b.jpg

Dude, Jud Jud... Haha. How did you explain that? Beavis and Butthead if they made hardcore noises? I remember I first heard them on some comp. I think it was a No Idea comp. I just remember it was all over the place. I think Less Than Jake and This Bike Is A Pipe Bomb was on it. Jeeezus E-Town Concrete was the worst. There was this girls that used to hang out with all of us. Everybody kinda made out with her. She was really big into them and 25 ta Life (who sadly enough is actually recording a new album :( )

Were you into the Posi scene? I was never really a straight edge kid but I did like some Good Clean Fun.

I'm sure you've heard of them, Sons Of Abraham? I remember there was this show, it was Indecision, Milhouse, Silent Majority, and this angry group of SxE Jewish kids. Those dudes were ANGRY, but oh so good.

That's the exact hoodie I had, not sure where it's at now, one of my exes probably stole it.

I was talking to someone at my old job about Integrity and my boss overheard and told me he was huge into the late 80's and early 90's scene. He had this ridiculous story about Rick ta Life screaming at him for eating pretzels outside of a show. I asked him what the context was and he said there was none, dude was just really angry about pretzels.

I wasn't super into the posi scene, but I do love Gorilla Biscuits to this day. Good Clean Fun definitely had their moments too, In Defense of All Life with that Earth Crisis riff still cracks me up.

I remember Sons of Abraham and I was into Indecision/Most Precious Blood. Thinking about that just made me think of One King Down. Members of Silent Majority went on to form Blood Red and Capital, Blood Red was kind of hit or miss, but Capital was really good.

RizzleMcRib

Jun 17, 2014
That's the exact hoodie I had, not sure where it's at now, one of my exes probably stole it.

I was talking to someone at my old job about Integrity and my boss overheard and told me he was huge into the late 80's and early 90's scene. He had this ridiculous story about Rick ta Life screaming at him for eating pretzels outside of a show. I asked him what the context was and he said there was none, dude was just really angry about pretzels.

I wasn't super into the posi scene, but I do love Gorilla Biscuits to this day. Good Clean Fun definitely had their moments too, In Defense of All Life with that Earth Crisis riff still cracks me up.

I remember Sons of Abraham and I was into Indecision/Most Precious Blood. Thinking about that just made me think of One King Down. Members of Silent Majority went on to form Blood Red and Capital, Blood Red was kind of hit or miss, but Capital was really good.

That's pretty funny about Rick ta Life. That whole tuff guy scene wasn't my cup of tea.

Yeah, I think Most Precious Blood was when Arty from Milhouse joined. That Milhouse record Obscenity in the Milk, man. That was a good album. I kinda lost everything with Silent Majority after that Initial records EP. Talking about One King Down, I really only listened to God Loves, Man Kills. It was good.

Dude, Disembodied - If God Only Knew the Rest Were Dead and Turmoil - The Process Of... 2 other albums that were awesome. I saw Disembodied with this band Codeseven. They were pretty intense.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Some summertime music ...

[collapse=LP]
[/collapse]

Last edited:

RizzleMcRib

Jun 17, 2014
Some summertime music ...

[collapse=LP]
[/collapse]

Little Joy - Little Joy
It has Fabrizio Moretti from the Strokes and the dude who did the Narcos theme song, Rodrigo Amarant. It's just really good. I wish I could explain it better, but that's what it is, a really good album. It's my go to summer album.

Or Real Estate - Days.

*Disclaimer, they are both pretty laid back albums, but they both have this "sunny" feel to it.

PennDanzig

R.I.P. PIMP C
Mar 1, 2016
Legit thought I was on THEB9 Board with all the late 90's/early 2000's hxc talk. :laugh: As you were gentlemen. Ps. I loved those Mass metalcore Converge, Cave In, Unearth ect records. :yo:

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
That's pretty funny about Rick ta Life. That whole tuff guy scene wasn't my cup of tea.

Yeah, I think Most Precious Blood was when Arty from Milhouse joined. That Milhouse record Obscenity in the Milk, man. That was a good album. I kinda lost everything with Silent Majority after that Initial records EP. Talking about One King Down, I really only listened to God Loves, Man Kills. It was good.

Dude, Disembodied - If God Only Knew the Rest Were Dead and Turmoil - The Process Of... 2 other albums that were awesome. I saw Disembodied with this band Codeseven. They were pretty intense.

I was supposed to see Turmoil when I was visiting a buddy of mine in Philly. He wasn't into hardcore, but his sister was and I was going with her. Turmoil never ended up playing though, it ended up being All Else Failed, who I also liked a lot. I never did find out if Turmoil cancelled or if they were never supposed to be there to begin with. This was the start of this weird, long distance on again off again relationship with his sister where we weren't dating except when we were.

We also saw Death by Stereo that summer. If Looks Could Kill, I'd Watch You Die was in my opinion one of the most interesting and inventive punk or hardcore albums of the late 90's. It's a shame they got progressively worse with every subsequent album until they were basically a parody of themselves.

I had one of Codeseven's albums, The Rescue I think. They were another band that ended up drastically changing. The funny thing is, my first exposure to them wasn't even them. My buddy meant to put them on a CD-R mixtape, but it was actually a completely different band, Not Waving But Drowning.

Disembodied was one of those bands from when Trustkill was still good, along with Endeavor and a few others.

I read the B9 a lot but never really posted there. I did all of my **** talking on Punknews.org, getting death threats for making fun of Madball.

Speaking of Converge and Cave In, have either of you two listened to Mutoid Man with Stephen Brodsky from Cave In and Ben Koller, Converge's drummer? It kind of reminds me of Jupiter era Cave In on bath salts. It's aggressive and spacey and downright strange in places, but really good.

Last edited:

RizzleMcRib

Jun 17, 2014
I was supposed to see Turmoil when I was visiting a buddy of mine in Philly. He wasn't into hardcore, but his sister was and I was going with her. Turmoil never ended up playing though, it ended up being All Else Failed, who I also liked a lot. I never did find out if Turmoil cancelled or if they were never supposed to be there to begin with. This was the start of this weird, long distance on again off again relationship with his sister where we weren't dating except when we were.

We also saw Death by Stereo that summer. If Looks Could Kill, I'd Watch You Die was in my opinion one of the most interesting and inventive punk or hardcore albums of the late 90's. It's a shame they got progressively worse with every subsequent album until they were basically a parody of themselves.

I had one of Codeseven's albums, The Rescue I think. They were another band that ended up drastically changing. The funny thing is, my first exposure to them wasn't even them. My buddy meant to put them on a CD-R mixtape, but it was actually a completely different band, Not Waving But Drowning.

Disembodied was one of those bands from when Trustkill was still good, along with Endeavor and a few others.

I read the B9 a lot but never really posted there. I did all of my **** talking on Punknews.org, getting death threats for making fun of Madball.

Speaking of Converge and Cave In, have either of you two listened to Mutoid Man with Stephen Brodsky from Cave In and Ben Koller, Converge's drummer? It kind of reminds me of Jupiter era Cave In on bath salts. It's aggressive and spacey and downright strange in places, but really good.

Mutoid Man slays. If you ever get a chance to see them do it. Brodsky straight shreds. It's seriously non stop in your face from start to finish. He's not there to converse. He is there to rock your face off. And believe me, that's what he did. I saw them at Wrecking Ball not too long ago. They played, then about 2 bands later Cave In played. I was like, "Brodsky is a beast." Jupiter era Cave In on bath salts is a pretty fair assessment.

That fest was incredible. Mutoid Man, Failure, Glassjaw, Cave In, Knapsack (AMAZING!!!!), Appleseed Cast (super let down by them live), The Get Up Kids, Thursday, Braid... So many more.

The awesome thing about seeing Knapsack was that, Coheed and Cambria was playing outside so there wasn't a ton of people at Knapsack. It was probably 95% dudes/dudettes in their late 30s to early 40s. All just rocking out and throwing fists in the air, singing along. It was pretty neat to know we can still rock out if need be.

Last edited:

RizzleMcRib

Jun 17, 2014
Legit thought I was on THEB9 Board with all the late 90's/early 2000's hxc talk. :laugh: As you were gentlemen. Ps. I loved those Mass metalcore Converge, Cave In, Unearth ect records. :yo:

The one Mass band that never got old for me was Piebald. Cave In started doing the whole Jupiter thing which kinda meh. You put out Until Your Heart Stops, which to me from from start to finish is nothing short of amazing, then go to space rock?! Yeah they had the Creative Eclipses EP, between that and Jupiter, but cmon. I don't think I was prepared. ;)

To me Converge hit there high mark on Forever Comes Crashing. Jane Doe wasn't bad. It was just a bit more contained I guess is the word I'm looking for. It just didn't feel as chaotic. Nothing really caught me after that. I may have listened to a few songs on You Fail Me, but that's it.

Piebald, they just kinda seemed like the Hydra Head band for nerds. Pretty much from When Life Hands You Lemons on, they just rocked. I don't know what other word to use. Good catchy sing along songs that you could listen to if your lady or ladies (maybe you were the Mack) were in the car and them not give you that look of "WTF." Zen got me in a mood to listen to Botch yesterday. I played a little for the girlfriend, her first and really only words were, "how do you know what they are saying?" The only answer I could give was, "liner notes."

Last edited:

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA

Karl Hlavinka, guitarist from Racetraitor, was also in the local techmetal band Creation is Crucifixion for a bit. They were probably the best metal band ever from Pittsburgh. Tying even more together, I saw CIC play with Dillinger Escape Plan up in Erie, PA in 1999 or 2000. Incredible show.

RizzleMcRib

Jun 17, 2014
Karl Hlavinka, guitarist from Racetraitor, was also in the local techmetal band Creation is Crucifixion for a bit. They were probably the best metal band ever from Pittsburgh. Tying even more together, I saw CIC play with Dillinger Escape Plan up in Erie, PA in 1999 or 2000. Incredible show.

Calculating Infinity / Dimitri Minakakis era DEP was nuts. I remember when I first heard Under the Running Board EP. Right after that that scream (or whatever it is) on The Mullet Burden it felt like someone kicked me in the chest. Still one of my favorite bands I've seen live. They played here with Zao. That was a great show.

Have either of you heard the Fall Silent - Sesame Street cover?

BTW, I'm completly blown away at how awesome this board is musically. Every time I read a post, I find myself saying F' yeah.

PS - Appetite for Destruction turned 30 today. My best friend came over last weekend and we usually get our minds right and listen to records. He brought Appetite over. Zero filler. That album 100% stood the test of time.

Last edited:

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Calculating Infinity / Dimitri Minakakis era DEP was nuts. I remember when I first heard Under the Running Board EP. Right after that that scream / whatever it was on The Mullet Burden it felt like someone kicked me in the chest. Still one of my favorite bands I've seen live. They played here with Zao. That was a great show.

Have either of you heard the Fall Silent - Sesame Street cover?

BTW, I'm completly blown away at how awesome this board is musically. Every time I read a post, I find myself saying F' yeah.

PS - Appetite for Destruction turned 30 today. My best friend came over last weekend and we usually get our minds right and listen to records. He brought Appetite over. Zero filler. That album 100% stood the test of time.

Yeah, I was at that show as well. Millvale Industrial Theatre, I believe. Also saw Fall Silent there, but never had any of their albums.

Love Appetite for Destruction. I was 7 when it came out and sneaking a listen over at friend's houses who had older brothers that owned it was the ultimate thrill. {You have to understand that my mom once made me return a Warrant tape due to questionable language.} I'm always surprised that Rocket Queen is never on any greatest hits albums? It was always one of my favorite songs on that album (moaning woman withstanding).

RizzleMcRib

Jun 17, 2014
Yeah, I was at that show as well. Millvale Industrial Theatre, I believe. Also saw Fall Silent there, but never had any of their albums.

Love Appetite for Destruction. I was 7 when it came out and sneaking a listen over at friend's houses who had older brothers that owned it was the ultimate thrill. {You have to understand that my mom once made me return a Warrant tape due to questionable language.} I'm always surprised that Rocket Queen is never on any greatest hits albums? It was always one of my favorite songs on that album (moaning woman withstanding).

Fall Silent is OK in spurts. I surely can't do a whole album.

My song off of Appetite for Destruction is Out Ta Get Me, but Rocket Queen was the perfect song to close that album.

Your story about having to sneak away to listen to is pretty funny. It kinda reminded me of this time my parents left me with this babysitter. She was hot in that Lita Ford way. She ended up taking me to some trailer, I think it was her boyfriend's or something. All I know is I'm at this trailer. Some dude, maybe her boyfriend's brother lived there. He was probably 17. I was like maybe 11. But this dude was a serious metal head. He took me to this room and there were tapes everywhere. All this Satanic stuff. I just thought this dude was super bad ass. He played me Metallica - Garage Days Revisited. Blew my mind. It started getting late so the babysitter had to get me to my house before my parents got home. Just as I was leaving, metal head dude hands me Garage Days. It was amazing.

I'm typing this on a phone. So any mistakes, that's partly to blame.

Last edited:

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Fall Silent is OK in spurts. I surely can't do a whole album.

My song off of Appetite for Destruction is Out Ta Get Me, but Rocket Queen was the perfect song to close that album.

Your story about having to sneak away to listen to is pretty funny. It kinda reminded me of this time my parents left me with this babysitter. She was hot in that Lita Ford way. She ended up taking me to some trailer, I think it was her boyfriend's or something. All I know is I'm at this trailer. Some dude, maybe her boyfriend's brother lived there. He was probably 17. I was like maybe 11. But this dude was a serious metal head. He took me to this room and there were tapes everywhere. All this Satanic stuff. I just thought this dude was super bad ass. He played me Metallica - Garage Days Revisited. Blew my mind. It started getting late so the babysitter had to get me to my house before my parents got home. Just as I was leaving, metal head dude hands me Garage Days. It was amazing.

I'm typing this on a phone. So any mistakes, that's partly to blame.

Awesome, but not an uncommon event. True metalheads realize at a young age that they will probably never father children, so this is how they pass on their DNA to the next generation.

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC

Anyone other than Dream Death being Pittsburgh's best metal band is a tough sell as far as I'm concerned.

PennDanzig

R.I.P. PIMP C
Mar 1, 2016
Yeah, I saw him pull a knife out on someone when he felt threatened at a noise show @ Garfield Artworks once. Like, a Rambo style knife.

Hahah. I'm pretty sure Manny or one his cohorts stole my jacket at my boy's rap show at GA like 3 years ago. I was faded and put it over a chair by the merch table and after his set poof that **** was gone. I asked Manny about it and he was super sketchy about it hahah :cry: that was a nice ass jacket

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
I agree with the Appleseed Cast being bad live. I saw them right after Peregrine or whatever it was called came out and they put on one of the most unenthusiastic performances I've ever seen.

Speaking of dick heads and violence at shows, I just remembered a show I went to that was Sworn Enemy, God Forbid and Arch Enemy.

I wasn't into any of those bands that much, but my friend was super into Arch Enemy at the time, so I figured I'd tag along. Just walking through the crowd, I could tell that Sworn Enemy wasn't going to be getting a warm reception, it was 99% metalheads and probably 2 or 3 hardcore kids.

Sure enough, they got heckled during their set. People were yelling for them to play real metal and whatnot.

At the end of their set, someone threw a water bottle, which I think didn't even get to the stage. This prompted the singer and guitarist to jump into the audience and look for whoever threw it. They ended up getting in this one guy's face, predictably the smallest one there. It looked like nothing was going to happen, but as both sides seemed to be turning to walk away, the singer whipped back around and sucker punched the guy in the back of the head. He went down hard and had to be helped out of the show.

I already thought Sworn Enemy sucked, but that gutless crap made me respect them even less. They didn't even go the direction the water bottle came from, they just wanted to **** someone up because no one was there to see them.

RizzleMcRib

Jun 17, 2014
I agree with the Appleseed Cast being bad live. I saw them right after Peregrine or whatever it was called came out and they put on one of the most unenthusiastic performances I've ever seen.

Speaking of dick heads and violence at shows, I just remembered a show I went to that was Sworn Enemy, God Forbid and Arch Enemy.

I wasn't into any of those bands that much, but my friend was super into Arch Enemy at the time, so I figured I'd tag along. Just walking through the crowd, I could tell that Sworn Enemy wasn't going to be getting a warm reception, it was 99% metalheads and probably 2 or 3 hardcore kids.

Sure enough, they got heckled during their set. People were yelling for them to play real metal and whatnot.

At the end of their set, someone threw a water bottle, which I think didn't even get to the stage. This prompted the singer and guitarist to jump into the audience and look for whoever threw it. They ended up getting in this one guy's face, predictably the smallest one there. It looked like nothing was going to happen, but as both sides seemed to be turning to walk away, the singer whipped back around and sucker punched the guy in the back of the head. He went down hard and had to be helped out of the show.

I already thought Sworn Enemy sucked, but that gutless crap made me respect them even less. They didn't even go the direction the water bottle came from, they just wanted to **** someone up because no one was there to see them.

They were just too loud when I saw them. I'm not talking a good loud. This was a loud where you couldn't make anything out.

Speaking of loud, I saw Mogwai right when Come On Die Young was coming out. They were loud, but a beautiful loud. It was so amazing. Sad to admit, there are 2 bands that ever made me teary-eyed. Mogwai, and Brian Wilson when he was doing the Pet Sounds 50th. I will say if any of you ever get down to Knoxville, do whatever you can to check out the Tennessee Theatre. It is INCREDIBLE!!!!

HandshakeLine, I don't know if you read what I wrote about debut albums and stuff a few pages back. It kinda explains what I was talking about. I think you thought I was talking about ever.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
I've never seen them live, but a buddy of mine saw Sunn O))) and said they were so loud that paint chips were falling off of the ceiling.

He won tickets to see them from Black Forge Coffee, a black metal coffee shop that's somehow in Allentown. Beyond the novelty, their coffee and donuts are both really good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->