Salary Cap: The Salary Cap Thread | Something Happened!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Last year, I was concerned at several points that the Pens needed to make a shake up trade. And, then they'd right the ship. But, what 'they'd right the ship' meant is Sid and Geno would go god mode and a goalie would stand on his head. But, Sid and Geno have played a ton of hockey in the last two years. Sid has played a lot of minutes and last year was doing that while covering for guys like Sheary who weren't fond of playing defense. Geno has played some real physical minutes and taken a beating and last year was going god mode most nights while Phil was out for a morning skate. That takes a toll, and you can see it now. Even Sid can't go balls to the wall every shift, and Geno would have to empty the tank before the new year to do it like he did last year.

I don't think JR has the luxury of not making moves like last year. Sid and Geno can't cover for it, and the goaltending isn't where it was last year on a nightly basis.

Niemi has to go. That's a given. But, you're also going to need to add some people who are hungry and to subtract a few of the poster children for complacency.

Reactions: Contender

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah, I'm not sure who on this roster falls into issues with complacency. Kessel maybe? I can't really think of anyone else. The team defense sucks right now, but I don't think that's an issue with complacency.

Of the people on the roster, the players I'd think are complacent are the top end players (Crosby, Malkin, Letang and Kessel), while the lower end guys are still hungry. Like the players that you think might be complacent right now aren't the guys you can replace. Maybe Guentzel falls in the category of complacent players, and that's more so judging him on his play (which has been mediocre) than his effort.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Last year, I was concerned at several points that the Pens needed to make a shake up trade. And, then they'd right the ship. But, what 'they'd right the ship' meant is Sid and Geno would go god mode and a goalie would stand on his head. But, Sid and Geno have played a ton of hockey in the last two years. Sid has played a lot of minutes and last year was doing that while covering for guys like Sheary who weren't fond of playing defense. Geno has played some real physical minutes and taken a beating and last year was going god mode most nights while Phil was out for a morning skate. That takes a toll, and you can see it now. Even Sid can't go balls to the wall every shift, and Geno would have to empty the tank before the new year to do it like he did last year.

I don't think JR has the luxury of not making moves like last year. Sid and Geno can't cover for it, and the goaltending isn't where it was last year on a nightly basis.

Niemi has to go. That's a given. But, you're also going to need to add some people who are hungry and to subtract a few of the poster children for complacency.

I would like your take on who is complacent and why? Sheary, because he's been bad in the defensive zone? Is he a trade candidate? Just signed for three years. Because, outside of Sid, Geno and Kessel who are not going to be traded, who else is there to get rid of who is not making an effort? Jake? He hasn't played well lately but they're not getting rid of him obviously

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Just out of curiosity, who is that?

Sheary is an obvious option (no, it won't be Phil).

Really not thrilled about the defense, but I don't know how much of the issues are about Letang being a moron and the forwards acting like it's October.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Sheary is an obvious option (no, it won't be Phil).

Really not thrilled about the defense, but I don't know how much of the issues are about Letang being a moron and the forwards acting like it's October.
I certainly wouldn't use complacent to describe Sheary.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I would like your take on who is complacent and why? Sheary, because he's been bad in the defensive zone? Is he a trade candidate? Just signed for three years. Because, outside of Sid, Geno and Kessel who are not going to be traded, who else is there to get rid of who is not making an effort? Jake? He hasn't played well lately but they're not getting rid of him obviously

Sheary is one as noted. I really have to think on it.

And, my main point is to address that there's a limit to what Sid and Geno can do compared to last year, and that creates a need that wasn't there last year to make moves beyond the margins.

I certainly wouldn't use complacent to describe Sheary.

In the defensive zone I would, but pick a different word if you will. And, as noted, the issue is less about arguing specific names and more about realizing that JR can be patient but probably will need to do something beyond the margins like he did last year.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Just thinking out loud, but if you planned to have Sheary and Sheahan as 2/3 of your 4th line by the end of the year, could you realistically pull something off like that? Run with sort of a 2 3rd line mentality, add a guy like Karlsson or Haula and have your lineup be:

Guentzel-Crosby-Hornqvist
Rust-Malkin-Sprong
Hagelin-Karlsson/Haula-Kessel
Sheary-Sheahan-McKegg

I think this lineup could be pretty effective. All 4 lines can score and your defensive question marks (mainly Sheary, Kessel and Sprong) are mostly covered with good defensive linemates. You have 5 PKers in that lineup (Sheahan, Hagelin, Karlsson/Haula, Rust and McKegg) and 5 centers too.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Just thinking out loud, but if you planned to have Sheary and Sheahan as 2/3 of your 4th line by the end of the year, could you realistically pull something off like that? Run with sort of a 2 3rd line mentality, add a guy like Karlsson or Haula and have your lineup be:

Rust-Malkin-Sprong
Sheary-Sheahan-McKegg

I think this lineup could be pretty effective. All 4 lines can score and your defensive question marks (mainly Sheary, Kessel and Sprong) are mostly covered with good defensive linemates. You have 5 PKers in that lineup (Sheahan, Hagelin, Karlsson/Haula, Rust and McKegg) and 5 centers too.

I could see Rowney as L4 RW and can't see Sully trusting Sprong that much, but even after the Sheahan acquisition there's nothing to prevent JR from adding Huala from a cap perspective.

That said, I'm not sure about Rust-Geno-Sprong. I like Rust, but Rust on the LW is barely better than Sheary on the RW defensively. Puts a lot of pressure on Geno defensively and detracts from what he can add offensively.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I could see Rowney as L4 RW and can't see Sully trusting Sprong that much, but even after the Sheahan acquisition there's nothing to prevent JR from adding Huala from a cap perspective.

That said, I'm not sure about Rust-Geno-Sprong. I like Rust, but Rust on the LW is barely better than Sheary on the RW defensively. Puts a lot of pressure on Geno defensively and detracts from what he can add offensively.

You could probably switch up Hagelin and Rust to be more safe I think. If the Penguins pulled of Haula, he'd probably be their best defensive forward, so having both Hagelin and Haula on the same line is probably overkill from a defensive POV. I think the Penguins ran with a Hagelin-Sprong duo a lot in the preseason, so maybe that's what they have an idea to run with when Sprong gets called up.

I don't see the Penguins calling up Sprong if he's not playing in their top-6, so I think it's either Malkin's RW or AHL for Sprong. And if Sullivan doesn't trust Sprong, I really don't think that will be changing anytime soon. I don't think Sprong is going to change much by keeping him in the AHL for longer.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
You could probably switch up Hagelin and Rust to be more safe I think. If the Penguins pulled of Haula, he'd probably be their best defensive forward, so having both Hagelin and Haula on the same line is probably overkill from a defensive POV. I think the Penguins ran with a Hagelin-Sprong duo a lot in the preseason, so maybe that's what they have an idea to run with when Sprong gets called up.

I don't see the Penguins calling up Sprong if he's not playing in their top-6, so I think it's either Malkin's RW or AHL for Sprong. And if Sullivan doesn't trust Sprong, I really don't think that will be changing anytime soon. I don't think Sprong is going to change much by keeping him in the AHL for longer.

I haven't watched Sprong playing away from the puck in WBS to form an informed opinion.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015

Rust is our best defensive winger.

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh

I really liked the ..-Geno-Rust combo in the '16 playoffs. I'd love to see Phil be the guy on the third line but keep those two together.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013

Rust-Malkin-Sprong
Sheary-Sheahan-McKegg

I like that line up, but serious question is can we afford it? I'm just too lazy to crunch the cap numbers.

Side note: we need to change the thread title now

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
No, he isn't. Expectations are just insanely crazy.

Hagelin's been producing like a 4th liner the past season and 9 games. Expectations are for him to be producing like a 3rd liner/2nd line tweener (35+ point range).

For someone who's down on our bottom six and Sheahan for their lack of production, it's kind of weird you're defending a $4 million player who is producing well below what is expected of him.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I like that line up, but serious question is can we afford it? I'm just too lazy to crunch the cap numbers.

Side note: we need to change the thread title now

They can with prorated cap space, they can't afford Haula now, but they could afford him in January or February.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range

I agree 100%. Any thoughts on who you would like to see go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad