The Russian Five

Status
Not open for further replies.

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
I wouldn't imagine Cherry calling Alex Rodrigez "chicken a la dominican". That would be that last word the poor ******* say on live television in America. Admit it. Canada does not look good at all, with Don Cherry poluting public airways. With so many russians in canada paying taxes and funding CBC. It is unbelivable, hatred toward your fellow canadians. I am as many russians in this country feel that canadian national networks slander our background. This is racist.

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
I'll conced your last paragraph as there is a definition of how the game should be played that Canadians,imo, cling to. I do think though that this is a concept that's been publicized and sold a lot recently. Cherry, I won't debate, you can always find the lowest common denominator audience. McGuire, I disagree. He seems to be one of those love him or hate him guys, and for the most part, I enjoy his work,moreso on t eradio,but that's just me. He is one of the most internationnally competent analsyts as he's put in the time scouting and playing all over NA and Europe. His TSN work at the WJC was shamelessly pro Canadian, but bigotry ? I've heard him discuss the game for a long time, he got into the radio business in Mtl. and I've heard no eveidence of that. I did hear him however offer to crush a heckler's head at a St.Patrick's day gathering last year, not that that has anything to do with it.

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
mcphee said:
You're saying Don Cherry wouldn't be tolerated in American media ? C'mon, you don't find worse on right wing talk shows every day ?

Don Cherry is a cottage industry that a lot of people have bought into. I think as many watch hoping for the train wreck that ends his tenure as anything else. I don't watch his bit. I find him to be a blowhard and his stooge to be the worst interviewer on national television that I've ever seen. Even Cherry though, does he hate Russians, no he hates players that act outside of his own narrow guidelines.

Are you serious? Cherry is a racist of the worst kind. This is what this guy said: "I've been trying to tell you people for so long about the Russians, what kind of people they are, and you just love them in Canada with your multiculturalism. They're quitters and evidently they take a lot of drugs, too."

Are you seriously saying that in the States someone could remotely say this? How about this: "I've been trying to tell you people for so long about the Jews (Dominicans, Mexicans, Chinese etc), what kind of people they are, and you just love them in the States with your multiculturalism. They're quitters and evidently they take a lot of drugs, too."

chooch*

Siberian said:
Are you serious? Cherry is a racist of the worst kind. This is what this guy said: "I've been trying to tell you people for so long about the Russians, what kind of people they are, and you just love them in Canada with your multiculturalism. They're quitters and evidently they take a lot of drugs, too."

Are you seriously saying that in the States someone could remotely say this? How about this: "I've been trying to tell you people for so long about the Jews (Dominicans, Mexicans, Chinese etc), what kind of people they are, and you just love them in the States with your multiculturalism. They're quitters and evidently they take a lot of drugs, too."

You are right in all your assertions.

This problem is wider than hockey in Canada - its a result of very strict libel laws unlike those in the US. You cant call Cherry a bigot and not get sued. On the other hand, unlike the US, you can slander groups the way he does and little is done. He is also obviously antiFrench. Many years from now, Canadians will be flabbergasted that one such as Cherry ever was allowed on the air much less made millions a year from this.

His attacks on Mats Naslund were disgusting.

Some in the media are very antiCherry - Chris Zelkowich, Damien Cox Toronto Star and Pat Hickey - Montreal Gazette should be praised for this.

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
Siberian said:

I won't get into a position defending Cherry who I've always thought of as a buffoon. I've always thought that the worst kind of racism was denying basic human rights and safety due to race,religion, orientation etc. This is just a clown who CBC is afraid to fire because they fear the backlash they would get,much like the right wing crowd [extreme rw to be fair] would get if their favorite talk show host got canned .While, I'm disappointed when I hear someone agreeing with his moronic rants, I dismiss him as a loudmouth who entertains some and offends others. I've always made my opinion on him clear, I've always thought that the best way to deal with ignorance is to showcase it, bring it out of the closet. Let people laugh at him rather than with him.

I notice how you don't respond to my question about Canadian media though. I guess it's just Cherry that annoys you. You should probably relax though, he isn't a journalist. He has a 5 minute gig every Saturday that most treat the way they would any satirical show, except the star doesn't always get what the joke is.

So, which is it, Don Cherry pisses you off, or the Canadian media hates Russians ?

I think it's been covered before, but I suspect a lot of people see the Soviet Union rather than Russians. Depending on the age group,old habits die hard.

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
mcphee said:
I won't get into a position defending Cherry who I've always thought of as a buffoon. I've always thought that the worst kind of racism was denying basic human rights and safety due to race,religion, orientation etc. This is just a clown who CBC is afraid to fire because they fear the backlash they would get,much like the right wing crowd [extreme rw to be fair] would get if their favorite talk show host got canned .While, I'm disappointed when I hear someone agreeing with his moronic rants, I dismiss him as a loudmouth who entertains some and offends others. I've always made my opinion on him clear, I've always thought that the best way to deal with ignorance is to showcase it, bring it out of the closet. Let people laugh at him rather than with him.

I notice how you don't respond to my question about Canadian media though. I guess it's just Cherry that annoys you. You should probably relax though, he isn't a journalist. He has a 5 minute gig every Saturday that most treat the way they would any satirical show, except the star doesn't always get what the joke is.

So, which is it, Don Cherry pisses you off, or the Canadian media hates Russians ?

I think it's been covered before, but I suspect a lot of people see the Soviet Union rather than Russians. Depending on the age group,old habits die hard.

The problem is that nobody cares what you think of Cherry, because otherwise he would not be on HNIC where canadian hockey fans can't hardly wait when he shows up on TV and dishes another portion of his remarks towards Canadian and European hockey players. He is so popular in Canada that CBC was even afraid to fire him, which you said yourself.

As for Canadian media, well, if you think Cherry is the only one then you are mistaken. There is an army of journalists, who want to achieve Cherry's ratings so they take exactly the same footsteps. Of course there might some journalists who are less biased than Cherry but it does not eliminate the fact that Canadian media is biased towards the Russian hockey players.

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
Siberian said:
The problem is that nobody cares what you think of Cherry, because otherwise he would not be on HNIC where canadian hockey fans can't hardly wait when he shows up on TV and dishes another portion of his remarks towards Canadian and European hockey players. He is so popular in Canada that CBC was even afraid to fire him, which you said yourself.

As for Canadian media, well, if you think Cherry is the only one then you are mistaken. There is an army of journalists, who want to achieve Cherry's ratings so they take exactly the same footsteps. Of course there might some journalists who are less biased than Cherry but it does not eliminate the fact that Canadian media is biased towards the Russian hockey players.

So, in answer to my question, you think there is a general biase but you don't know who they are but you're sure they're out there.

They're 'might' be some less biased than Cherry ? I'm sure Red Fisher,Steven Brunt and Eric Duhatschek are sleeping better. If you feel better thinking everyone's against you go for it. You should try and get your head around the idea that someone can not be crazy about a player or his actions and it have nothing to do with his race. My impression of Kovalchuk is that he's supremely talented,explosive and great to watch. Getting in an opponenet's face after scoring is something I don't like. That's just my personal opinion and perception about sportsmanship. It isn't something I think tends to work out in the long run. I don't like Terrell Owens seemingly putting himself ahead of the team as he does and becoming a walking press conference. That's my right . It isn't based on anything other than what I do and don't like.

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
mcphee said:
So, in answer to my question, you think there is a general biase but you don't know who they are but you're sure they're out there.

They're 'might' be some less biased than Cherry ? I'm sure Red Fisher,Steven Brunt and Eric Duhatschek are sleeping better. If you feel better thinking everyone's against you go for it. You should try and get your head around the idea that someone can not be crazy about a player or his actions and it have nothing to do with his race. My impression of Kovalchuk is that he's supremely talented,explosive and great to watch. Getting in an opponenet's face after scoring is something I don't like. That's just my personal opinion and perception about sportsmanship. It isn't something I think tends to work out in the long run. I don't like Terrell Owens seemingly putting himself ahead of the team as he does and becoming a walking press conference. That's my right . It isn't based on anything other than what I do and don't like.

Oh my, how can a poster be this boring? What is your point? Because I don't get this. Are you saying that Cherry, McGuire and other Russian haters are not Canadian Media? Or you are saying that there is nobody in Canadian media behind Cherry and McGuire who are biased against Russians.

Do you think that what Kovalchuk did is bad? If yes, is it because what Don Cherry told you that or you seriously think that it is your own personal opinion formed on you life experience. Do you think that it is as bad as intentional injuring other players ala Bertuzzi, Domi, Tucker or it is bad on a different level?

This all idiocy about pointing out at Crosby does not make sense at all. Just why is it bad, can someone really give a good explanation, in a game where players slash, trip, charge and board other players funny incindent like that bring so much stir from idiots like Cherry and is picked up by other idiotic hockey fans????

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
Siberian said:
Oh my, how can a poster be this boring? What is your point? Because I don't get this. Are you saying that Cherry, McGuire and other Russian haters are not Canadian Media? Or you are saying that there is nobody in Canadian media behind Cherry and McGuire who are biased against Russians.

Do you think that what Kovalchuk did is bad? If yes, is it because what Don Cherry told you that or you seriously think that it is your own personal opinion formed on you life experience. Do you think that it is as bad as intentional injuring other players ala Bertuzzi, Domi, Tucker or it is bad on a different level?

This all idiocy about pointing out at Crosby does not make sense at all. Just why is it bad, can someone really give a good explanation, in a game where players slash, trip, charge and board other players funny incindent like that bring so much stir from idiots like Cherry and is picked up by other idiotic hockey fans????

I am kind of bored Siberian, sometimes I get sucked into stuff that's beneath me. I am saying that you allude to Canadinam media in general being biased and when I challenge you to support your views, you don't have the stones to go beyond Don Cherry. That's my point. You resort to cheap stereotyping, in effect what you accuse others of.

I don't like when players taunt the opposition. I didn't like it when Barnaby would do it or whoever. I ahve my personal definition of how sports should be played. I don't think it necessary that everyone conforms to it,but I don't have to be a fan of those who don't. It isn't a big deal, he didn't beat his wife,drive drunk etc. Players that deliberately attempt to injure get no support from me.

Why is so bad ? It isn't, I just don't like it. My view of sports goes like this. You play as hard as you can. You play on the edge of the rules with all the passion you can muster. When the game's over, step back, take a deep breath, congratulate your opponent and get ready to do it again. My view's naive, esp. at the professional level, but it serves me well .

I won't continue to bore you. I'd bore easily if I had all the answers too.

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
Fair enough, you say there is no bias against Russian players in Canadian media, which is BS of course, but you can leave it at that.

But what I do not understand is how brainwashed Canadian fans are by their media. In the game where there is endless trash talk going on for 60+ minutes Canadians get so upset with Kovalchuk pointing a finger at Crosby. I guess Kovalchuk could have called Crosby a little shi tbag and that would not be considered taunting but because he pointed a finger at Crosby then he is selfish, no class player. Of course, in Canada Kovalchuk's reputation is worse than Heatley's, who because of his immaturity killed his own teammate.

I am sick and tired of these ******** trying to put down Russian and other European players.

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
Siberian said:
Fair enough, you say there is no bias against Russian players in Canadian media, which is BS of course, but you can leave it at that.

But what I do not understand is how brainwashed Canadian fans are by their media. In the game where there is endless trash talk going on for 60+ minutes Canadians get so upset with Kovalchuk pointing a finger at Crosby. I guess Kovalchuk could have called Crosby a little shi tbag and that would not be considered taunting but because he pointed a finger at Crosby then he is selfish, no class player. Of course, in Canada Kovalchuk's reputation is worse than Heatley's, who because of his immaturity killed his own teammate.

I am sick and tired of these ******** trying to put down Russian and other European players.
Siberian, I promised myself I'd back off but I'm weak. I didn't claim there was no biase. I asked you for an example that offended you, past Don Cherry.

Again,nothing. Kindly highlight where I said those words about Kovalchul,specifically about being selfish or lacking class. I said that I personally don't like taunting.

You have your own notions that you cling to. What's kind of amusing is that the chief rant that Cherry uses over and over, is how the skilled Europen players get overwhelimg support from the Canadian media, ignoring the talent of Canadian players. Kind of ironic ehhh ?

You're caught up in your own rhetoric.

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
mcphee said:
Siberian, I promised myself I'd back off but I'm weak. I didn't claim there was no biase. I asked you for an example that offended you, past Don Cherry.

Again,nothing. Kindly highlight where I said those words about Kovalchul,specifically about being selfish or lacking class. I said that I personally don't like taunting.

You have your own notions that you cling to. What's kind of amusing is that the chief rant that Cherry uses over and over, is how the skilled Europen players get overwhelimg support from the Canadian media, ignoring the talent of Canadian players. Kind of ironic ehhh ?

You're caught up in your own rhetoric.

I see, so now we have a progress, you admitted there is a bias against Russians, but I am guessing you did not like the wording "bias in Canadian media". I wonder what is wrong with that, bias in Canadian media sounds too generalizing? You want the names instead behind Don Cherry? I told you Pierre McGuire! Not enough again? You want me to name all the local newspaper guys and local Radio show hosts who bashed the Russians? What is the point of all that?

Canadian media purposefully went after Kovalchuk, because that is what they do, they have done it with Yashin, Bure, Fedorov and others. Nobody in this world would be able to explain me that Kovalchuk pointing at Crosby is bad when cheap shots and trash talking that Crosby did all game long is ok.

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
Ottawa media is all anti-Russian. I remember Don Brennan in 1993 mind you, after first contract dispute with Yashin, when Daigle got his 12.5 million for five years and Yash 3 for 5. He called Yashin crying baby, the guy who used to eat borsht with rusty spoon, now wants equal money with superstar in the making Daigle. The other scribes jumped on Yashin-russian bashin band wagon forever. Where Yashin was the only price of admition for years on that bad team.

Ottawa citizen editor wrote an editorial in 1996 on Russians and who Russians really are, and why they are all so selfish like Yashin. Turning famous Churchill quote on Russia and I quote. " Russia is a piece of dang wrapped in a cabbage leaf and left in the outer house of the world to rote. You pick any printed stuff and it is all crap, crap on Russia in Canada. It is tiresome and sick.

Macman

May 15, 2004
SENATOR said:
Ottawa citizen editor wrote an editorial in 1996 on Russians and who Russians really are, and why they are all so selfish like Yashin. Turning famous Churchill quote on Russia and I quote. " Russia is a piece of dang wrapped in a cabbage leaf and left in the outer house of the world to rote. You pick any printed stuff and it is all crap, crap on Russia in Canada. It is tiresome and sick.

I agree. Numbskulls like that should be fired. You're forgetting, though, that many Canadians wrote letters of protest to the editor. And was it really that different from some of the things you say on these boards? Like this recent gem from the world juniors:

WJC was fixed big time. First round was a joke. Canada got a warm up time with US at the end. How convenient. Then the murderous officiating by US referee. Why this change was made? How much he got paid by Canadian hockey mafia? ... Proverbial Canadian BS. Let the kids play. Translation. Let the goons play.

It goes both ways.

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
Chinaski said:
Yeah, but why referee was changed? Any news on that?

I will tell you more, all the Russians during the game really thought that the referee was from Sweden, that is what they were told before the game. I watched the game on TV and knew that the referee was an american and two hours after the game I was on the phone with a guy, who was at the Russian bench during the game, he could not believe me that the ref was an American.

Chinaski*

rushockey said:
I will tell you more, all the Russians during the game really thought that the referee was from Sweden, that is what they were told before the game. I watched the game on TV and knew that the referee was an american and two hours after the game I was on the phone with a guy, who was at the Russian bench during the game, he could not believe me that the ref was an American.
It's all interesting, but whuy did they change the referee? Was that swedish guy injured or sick? Did he have a hangover and couldn't lace his skates up? Was he bribed? What was the matter? Were there any explanations?

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
WJC was fixed big time. First round was a joke. Canada got a warm up time with US at the end. How convenient. Then the murderous officiating by US referee. Why this change was made? How much he got paid by Canadian hockey mafia? ... Proverbial Canadian BS. Let the kids play. Translation. Let the goons play.

This was a gem, wasn’t it? But the sarcasm of the matter is. It is just slightly over exaggerated. WJC was fixed. No questions about it. Changing the referee and fixing the pool and the schedule just to accommodate one team Canada in the process? Italians call this fixing big time. Remember. Canadians called for a French judge's head at the last winter Olympics for much less, for hysterical and delusional little girl, who was bubbling about fixing the standings. Where Canadians here, openly and blatantly changed referee at the last second of the game. To make things worse, Russians were playing under the impression that the real referee was still calling the game, not the one who was instructed how to call the game by Canadian officials. So I hope, we’re cleared on that.
I called Canadians goons. I did. But if you look at the league, it has 60% of Canadian content. Only 10% of those 60% really have any business to be here. Third and fourth liners who represent Canadian nationality are just there as taxi squads, if playoffs would be called by the officials as the regular season goes so far, that 50% of Canadian content will be just a dead weight on teams rosters. Let me ask you what Domi, Belak, Wellwod and other comic WWE characters do in TML organization. Surely for only entertaining proposes. They are goons, who collect their pay check for nothing. They are feeding on Canadian mentality, that every team must have idiots with big “hearts” and “heads” in their line up.

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
Siberian said:

I'm Canadian and I wasn't upset. Neither were any of my friends who were all predominately Canadian. The media, who feed on contraversy, do not necessarily represent the views of the people watching. They are just looking for something to talk about on a slow news day.

Personally I love the Russian players who play on the Habs and IMO they are among the most popular Habs. If they play well, the players, Kovalev and Markov currently, are recongnized for their contributions. If they are lazy wastes of talent like Malakhov they are treated badly by the fans, just like Savage and Brisebois.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
#16 said:
Way to turn the thread about one of the greatest lines in the history of hockey into utter crap :handclap:
Couldn't agree more. The true Russian five was magnificent. Fetisov is one of the top 10 defencemen ever. Makarov is probably the best player currently not in the HHOF who has been eligible. Larionov is a lock for the HHOF (2008, I'm thinking), and Makarov will probably be inducted in the same year as Larionov. (Larionov, IMO, may be the classiest player to play the game since Jean Beliveau. How he never won a Lady Byng or the Masterton is confounding. Nobody exemplified the elements of perseverance, sportsmanship and dedication to the game like Larionov did). Krutov and Kasatonov had distinguished careers. Unfortunately for Krutov, he will be remembered as the portly player who was a disaster in the NHL.

As for the WJC, it's over. The better team on that particular day won. That's the way it is, so deal with it. It's not the most skilled team that wins, it's the better team. (This thread has only re-affirmed to me why SENATOR and Siberian have yapped their way onto my ignore list).

Also, just to disspell some ignorance floating around here: Canada did not doctor the draw for the tournament, or the schedule. The brackets are determined based on last year's finish. The schedule is also drawn up based on last year's finish. End of dillusional, paranoid, fear-mongering conspiracy theory. The American referee was the best referee in the tournament. He called what needed to be called, and let the teams play physical. That's why he was in the gold medal game.

Macman

May 15, 2004
SENATOR said:
Let me ask you what ... Wellwood and other comic WWE characters do in TML organization. Surely for only entertaining proposes. They are goons, who collect their pay check for nothing.

Wellwood a goon? A least you're consistent in your ignorance.

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
Wellwood is not a goon but as worthless as the rest of them. And the next time, try to read what is said.

The American referee was the best referee in the tournament. He called what needed to be called, and let the teams play physical. That's why he was in the gold medal

This is classic Canadian ignorance. And why would IIHF would not appoint Check, Swede(or wait, he was appointed!!!!), Finnish, Swiss, Slovakian referees for this match. We all know that American referee goes to the same salt lick as the rest of the Canadian hockey mafia. People, please do not be delusional. And about the ability of Canadian and American referees, we all know. They used to call the game the way they wanted prior to 2005, making themselves the stars of the game. I still remember the times, when NHL players would complain, they have to adjust personally to every referee in the league and the way they call the game. I thought you just have to adjust ones and for all to the rule book. The proverbial classic I have, when one idiotic Canadian fellow in stripes would not allow the goal, because you see, he already blew a whistle in his mind. That was the explanation. And besides, not only they do not follow rule book (in Canada and States one is official and one is unofficial situation rule book), they do not understand international hockey, they have limited exposure and little knowledge how the game played overseas. To bring American referee in, who would call the game, played by the international rules is a crime. And Russia was a victim of Canadian goon squad. Russia was subjugated to play by murky unofficial American-Canadian situation rule book, which is illegal in IIHF.
One more time. This is not college hockey or a CHL game. American referee had no business to be even in the building that night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->