The Russian Five

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
gamera said:
I think you are reading FAR too much into the fact that Kovalchuk wears the #17. Yes, he said it is in tribute to Kharlamov, but I don't agree that it means he must act in every way like Kharlamov did, and I don't think Ilya meant it that way, either (of course, I'm not him, so I wouldn't know - this is just my opinion). I think he wanted to wear it because he's his favorite player, nothing more, nothing less.

It's a game. It's supposed to be FUN. Ilya has a great time out there and he shows it. I honestly believe (and there is no way anyone can prove this to be right or wrong) that Kharlamov would have done the same if he lived in the current society.

Ovechkin & Kovalchuk are both very emotional players and I think it adds to the excitement of the game. When Kharlamov played, excitement was frowned upon....(another poster explained this and I agree wholeheartedly)

If I want to get fired up, all I have to do is watch Slay's video montage of Ovechkin and all his awesome goals, hits, and celebrations and boom !, I'm in a good mood! :handclap: (btw, if they showed that on MTV we'd have alot more NHL fans in the USA!)

Hey there! It's nothing wrong to have fun. Really. My heart grows when I see, for example, Alexander Perezhogin (another Russian) celebrating a goal. He jumps into the air and then immediately turns to his linemates with this wide, childish smile, to thank them for good pass or congratulate them after they score thanks to his play. He's not acting and he's not disrespetcfull for the opponents. I remember when he played against Toronto and made Belfour look foolish, he went behind the net and took puck from Belfour, passed to Kovalev who put it in the open net. Imagine now if he pointed Belfour and laughed at him. I would cheer if Belak or Tucker kicked his *** after that, despite that I'm a Habs fan.
Now, IMO Kovalchuck is ACTING, and I'm not talking only about that "Crosby incident". He's CLEARLY trying to draw all the attention on him and his celebrations are like epilepsy attacks. It's not only about "having fun", it's about to fill an egotic personality of a, most likely stupid kid. I don't know him personally ofcourse, but his behaviour really speaks alot about him.

Last edited:

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
Chinaski said:
The point incident is funny. And it was a good thing. Canadian media made him a bad boy of the league a long time ago. He is the player you like to hate. He is not politically correct, and I am proud of him.
And as I stated before, should Kharlamov decided to jump from the roof, should Kovalchuk, just because he is wearing his number do the same?

Canadian media hates Russian players. Over time they bash most of Russian born players so at the end of their careers they look like greedy jer ks. IMHO of all Russian greats who played in NHL in the last 15 years only Makarov, Mogilny and Larionov managed to survive the anti-Russian bias.

The same thing with Kovalchuk - he has been the target of Canadian media since he played in juniors. Same thing with Malkin and Ovechkin, while little diving Sidney gets all their props. Steve Downey - the world junior champion in diving and the least classy player you can find in hockey was given almost an MVP status by Canadian media, they say he gets under opponents skin. Seeing the difference?

Just think of Boris Mikhailov, one of the Russia's classiest players who was portrayed like a goon.

I am almost 100% positive by the time Kovalchuk retires he will have a status similar to Yashin, Bure and Fedorov - greedy, heartless etc. The point incindent is just used by Canadian media.

Last edited:

gamera

Jan 3, 2006
Kovalchuk Army HQ
deathtoespn said:
first off, Valery Kharlamov played the game with emotion and if you look at the footage, this is crystal clear. Is celebrating after scoring a goal the only way to show emotion on an ice sheet? Don't think so.
Is disrespecting your opponent by engaging in showy self-aggrandizement the only way to have fun on an ice sheet? Same answer. And are the players being shown up having fun while Ilya celebrates?
Like I have said, Ilya does not have to mimic Kharlamov's every action in order to respectfully pay tribute, but to approach the game and his opponents in a similar fashion. Very big difference here folks--I really wished you grasp this.

Kharlamov created excitement where ever he played, and his style was never discouraged, but rather was encouraged and admired by the folks who lived under communism as well as the folks who were lucky enough to escape it. He was the biggest hockey star in the 1970's in the USSR, where public shows of emotion were discouraged.
Hockey is best played while in an acute emotional state; but the best players are able to play in an emotional way while paradoxically controlling their emotions. Kharlamov was just this type of a player, and for a player to exploit the memory of a humble man while acting in a self-aggrandizing manner is clearly and cynically distasteful.

fun for whom?

Well, for the players, first and foremost, or they wouldn't be doing it. And for the fans, yes, the fans. The players' interaction with the fans is also part of the game. Hockey is sport. Sport is entertainment. You are just taking it way too seriously.

I don't pretend that I'm going to change your mind...and you won't change mine, either. So I'll just leave it at that. :)

oh, and I don't think Kovalchuk is faking anything, either... :shakehead

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Siberian said:
Canadian media hates Russian players. Over time they bash most of Russian born players so at the end of their careers they look like greedy jer ks. IMHO of all Russian greats who played in NHL in the last 15 years only Makarov, Mogilny and Larionov managed to survive the anti-Russian bias.

The same thing with Kovalchuk - he has been the target of Canadian media since he played in juniors. Same thing with Malkin and Ovechkin, while little diving Sidney gets all their props. Steve Downey - the world junior champion in diving and the least classy player you can find in hockey was given almost an MVP status by Canadian media, they say he gets under opponents skin. Seeing the difference?

Just think of Boris Mikhailov, one of the Russia's classiest players who was portrayed like a goon.

I am almost 100% positive by the time Kovalchuk retires he will have a status similar to Yashin, Bure and Fedorov - greedy, heartless etc. The point incindent is just used by Canadian media.

Please. We can disagree as long as we are rational. Stop with this "everybody hates us" mythology. There are ofcourse people that make generalisations about the Russians, but to say it's the "Canadian media" is the same generalisation. There are plenty of Russian players that are ADORED by hockey fans in Canada or the States and liked by media. You named three. I could add Volchenkov, Tyutin, A.Markov in Montreal, Frolov, Brylin etc.
Canadians are ofcourse biased toward their players. But that's the case for all hockey countries. I guess Russian media don't really care about Ryan Smith or Jay Bouwmeester. Such a hockey powerhouse as Canada, inventors of hockey, obviously would like to think that they're always the best and their players are the best. There's nothing wrong with that and it's often justified. It can be annoying sometimes but to say that they "hate Russian born players" is just untrue.
You mentioned players that were critisized. Well, maybe they deserved it? Malakhov was hated in Montreal but Brisebois too. Would you say that Quebec media hate french speaking Canadians? As for Mikhailov, yes, he was a great leader, but he wasn't the cleanest player out there and political tension of that time didn't help objectivity also. Were Soviet sport media objective when they wrote about the Canadians?

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
chooch said:
Players who played with that kind of class and almost never whooped it up were:
[B]Lafleur, Yzerman, Lemieux, Goulet.[/B]Others, especially from the 80's, were like monkeys hopping around on the ice unashamedly jumping into defencemen's arms after scoring meaningless goals.I have to ask you the key question: had the Soviets came to the NHL in 1980 instead of 1990 and had a chance to participate in that ridiculous scoring era, how many records would they hold? Most goals in a season (Krutov?), most points in a season (Larionov?) etc etc?

Especially the players born around 1960.

Thankfully those players got rid of their excess energy on the ice rather than endangering les innocents children on the street by barelling through the city jacked up on cheap wine straight from the bottle, treating the public utility poles like ***** targets.

deathtoespn

Aug 11, 2005
Very good sir, and best wishes.
I don't really understand the "faking" reference, perhaps you are referring to someone else's post?

As for the other gentleman, yes, of course Russian players are not regarded as highly as Canadian players by Canadian fans and media. This is due to the role that hockey plays in the Canadian culture. NHL players are considered national heroes because hockey is a religion north of the border. Russian players especially get less leeway by NHL Referrees: but this does not in any way take away from their abilities or legacies because, like I have said, Fair People judge others by their actions and not words.
If you were to take a step back and imagine for a second that Ilya was not a Russian hockey player, but rather a USA born and bred hockey player who engaged in the same kind of spotlight-grabbing shennanigans that Ilya does on a regular basis, then you too would agree with me that he is not a humble, respectful, dignified person, like Valery Kharlamov most assuredly was. So to wear the number 17, a sacred number, and to engage in behavior contrary to the acts of of humble man is clearly distasteful. No?

Once again, how many people tune in to watch a hockey game, or pay to go to a hockey game, to see players have "fun" or show-up their opponent? I thought the NHL made rule changes to the NHL game in order for NHL players to display their skills, not to encourage disrespectful behavior. The players interact with the fans before and after the game; but while the clock is running, fans of the game of hockey prefer they stick to playing hockey and leave the interacting for a more appropriate place and time. I don't know anyone paying hundreds of dollars to see millionaires having fun--do you?

The Krutov/Makarov/Larionov/Fetisov/Kasatonov line had fun working the puck up the ice and scoring goals. Kharlamov had fun scoring that great goal he potted in Montreal on new years eve 1975/6. None of these players needed to rub it in their opponents faces to have fun: they played the game in a beautiful way and understood the game of hockey is not played with your mouth.

gamera

Jan 3, 2006
Kovalchuk Army HQ
deathtoespn said:
Very good sir, and best wishes.
I don't really understand the "faking" reference, perhaps you are referring to someone else's post?

yes, that was from another, earlier post...

deathtoespn said:
Once again, how many people tune in to watch a hockey game, or pay to go to a hockey game, to see players have "fun" or show-up their opponent? I thought the NHL made rule changes to the NHL game in order for NHL players to display their skills, not to encourage disrespectful behavior. The players interact with the fans before and after the game; but while the clock is running, fans of the game of hockey prefer they stick to playing hockey and leave the interacting for a more appropriate place and time. I don't know anyone paying hundreds of dollars to see millionaires having fun--do you?
Yes, I do! And if you read interviews with the majority of the players out there, they will say the same thing. They do it because they are lucky enough to be paid to be playing a game and having fun.

I enjoy watching the game itself, first and foremost, but am entertained by fights, open displays of emotion, etc, just as much as the next guy. (perhaps not you, though. ;) )

Ok, I lied....I didn't leave it at that! :biglaugh: I'm just having too much fun, I guess! :)

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
Archijerej said:
Please. We can disagree as long as we are rational. Stop with this "everybody hates us" mythology. There are ofcourse people that make generalisations about the Russians, but to say it's the "Canadian media" is the same generalisation. There are plenty of Russian players that are ADORED by hockey fans in Canada or the States and liked by media. You named three. I could add Volchenkov, Tyutin, A.Markov in Montreal, Frolov, Brylin etc.
Canadians are ofcourse biased toward their players. But that's the case for all hockey countries. I guess Russian media don't really care about Ryan Smith or Jay Bouwmeester. Such a hockey powerhouse as Canada, inventors of hockey, obviously would like to think that they're always the best and their players are the best. There's nothing wrong with that and it's often justified. It can be annoying sometimes but to say that they "hate Russian born players" is just untrue.
You mentioned players that were critisized. Well, maybe they deserved it? Malakhov was hated in Montreal but Brisebois too. Would you say that Quebec media hate french speaking Canadians? As for Mikhailov, yes, he was a great leader, but he wasn't the cleanest player out there and political tension of that time didn't help objectivity also. Were Soviet sport media objective when they wrote about the Canadians?

Of course there is such thing as Canadian Media. They are all like parakeets repeat the same things again and again when it comes to hockey.

There is big difference between not caring and putting somebody down on a constant basis. It's funny that you named players who do not really fall into category of Russia's greats and really young guys who have not managed to receive their portion of Canadian bias yet. Remember, Yashin started off pretty good too!

And the comment about Mikhailov is just .... not right. Mikhailov was never a dirty player, sure sometimes who could have been provoked but he never was a dirty player.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Siberian said:
Of course there is such thing as Canadian Media. They are all like parakeets repeat the same things again and again when it comes to hockey.

There is big difference between not caring and putting somebody down on a constant basis. It's funny that you named players who do not really fall into category of Russia's greats and really young guys who have not managed to receive their portion of Canadian bias yet. Remember, Yashin started off pretty good too!

And the comment about Mikhailov is just .... not right. Mikhailov was never a dirty player, sure sometimes who could have been provoked but he never was a dirty player.

I disagree. How are Brylin, A.Markov, Kasparaitis, Danil Markov young? I could add some more, Zubov for example, Khabibulin. You mentioned Yashin. I don't really know the whole story but you must admit, that one of the highest paid players in the game, should lead his team and be on top of the scoring lists. If not, then he should at least show the same kind of passion that he was showing in his young years BEFORE he got that contract. Granted, someone gave him this contract, but didn't he holdout in Ottawa? is he doing everythink on the Island to earn his money? I'm sure that even a Canadian player on his position would have to face a critisism. Same with Alexei Kovalev and Victor Kozlov. Those guys have talent to be among the best in the league. I'm sure you agree with that statement. But they aren't, thus a question about their attitude and passion have to appear. You don't have to hate Russians to question their characters or desire. It's the most logical explanation that comes to mind.
As for the media again. I agree that they are biased, but not against the Russians but rather pro-Canadian. I agree that SOME of them may be using generalisations. But there is Don Cherry and there is Pierre McGuire, who will critisize Yashin for example, but will praise Andrei Markov for his heroics behind the blueline.
I'm not saying that Mikhailov was dirty, but I don't think he was clean either. Whe he fouled, he was not doing it in Bobby Clarke's "bandit" way, but he could slash you with his stick painfully. And that's not really a knock on him. He was probably the most "Canadian" hockey player Soviets had and probably was feeling like a fish in the water playing against them. How can you say that Canadians painted him as a goon. Granted, he annoyed them to death, but they had lots of respect for him, he was probably second best behind Kharlamov in their eyes (and rightfully so). I have Summit Series with Canadian commentary and Foster Hewitt and the other guy are praising the Soviets and Mikhailov all the time, despite beeing dissapointed when Canada was loosing or beeing outplayed. And despite all the tension of that series you could fing many articles, opinions, interviews, that were giving the Soviets credit, that were praising them. Could you say the same about the Soviet media?

Last edited:

Sampe

Feb 27, 2002
Vantaa
deathtoespn said:
I don't watch the game to see what happens after a player scores a goal: I watch to see the skills and teamwork that went into the creation of that goal, as do most HOCKEY fans.

I'm afraid it sounds like you do want to see more than just hockey from these fine players. Otherwise you wouldn't really *care* what happens after a player scores a goal, right? ;)

I also have trouble understanding why #17 is a "sacred number". Surely a humble person like Kharlamov would be against such man worshipping?

chooch*

deathtoespn said:
Kharlamov had fun scoring that great goal he potted in Montreal on new years eve 1975/6. None of these players needed to rub it in their opponents faces to have fun: they played the game in a beautiful way and understood the game of hockey is not played with your mouth.

That was a great goal on Dryden and like a Lafleur or Yzerman he didnt rub it in anyones faces.

Soviets were admired by some and hated by others. The Canadian Media is a reflection of this but some of them are "journalists" paid off by "interested parties" just like in the old Soviet system.

Had the Soviets showed up in the NHl in 1980 you;d have never heard of some of the "Great superstar" according to the Cam Coles and other media.

Everyone is sorry about the way things ended. I remember there was showing of a movie on Kharlamovs life in 1983 at a small theatre in Montreal and Savard, Lemaire and Laperierre showed up out of respect.

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
deathtoespn said:
As for the other gentleman, yes, of course Russian players are not regarded as highly as Canadian players by Canadian fans and media. This is due to the role that hockey plays in the Canadian culture. NHL players are considered national heroes because hockey is a religion north of the border.

And why Russian players are not regarded as highly as Canadian players.

I remember when Jagr played in Omsk, crowd practically revered the guy and would stay in the cold outside and after the game just to have a glimpse of him. Dave King is as respected in Magnitigorsk as Jesus Christ. Moving to the other countries. For all that hate English blocks have for anything French, they loved Eric Cantona in MU as they love Henry in Arsenal. If Pele would go to any country in the world, he would pull thousands of people to himself in a minute. There is something terribly wrong with Canadians and it is rotten. Canadian media is just reflecting this attitude. Not only Canadians hate Russians, they hate Swedes, Checks and other euros. The other time, three guys on the CFRA 1200 team radio were poking fun in Ottawa on Hasek's verbatim and pronunciation. It was racist and sick. Plus, you just do not laugh at the expense of the best goalie of all time, who plays for your home team. I am disgusted with Canadians. Why Hasek is not Canadian hero and Dave King is in Russia?

deathtoespn

Aug 11, 2005
Ilya chose to make #17 an issue, not me!

First off, Ilya Kovalchuk chose to wear #17 "as a tribute to the late Valery Kharlamov." This is on the record (page 1010 of Kings Of The Ice: A History of World Hockey ). He made that choice, not me or anyone else, and he used the word "tribute." Now, I don't know what you think that word means, but words have meaning, and instead of playing the game and approaching the game and his opponents in a humble, respectful fashion, ala the man he says he is paying "tribute" to, he acts disrespectful and does whatever it takes to draw attention to himself. Kharlamov was just the opposite: therein lies the problem.

Would Valery have a problem with Kovalchuk the boy/man? No, because he was a respectful man with dignity. He would certainly have a problem with how Ilya acts on the ice, because Valery acted in the exactly opposite manner.

Second, I am not Canadian. My favorite two players in the world are Kharlamov and Krutov. I drove through three blizzards in 1996/97 just to see every game that Sergei Samsonov and the The Russian National Junior Team played when the tournament was in New England. Read my very first post and you will see how I truly revere Soviet/Russian hockey and players. Be very careful with who you call bigots: my advice is to read my posts more closely. I love Canada and it's people, but when it comes to hockey, they can turn irrational and not put their best foot forward at times. Human beings are not perfect and I understand that. I have yet to visit Russia, but when I can afford it, the first place I plan on visiting is Kharlamov's tomb so I can pay my respects.

Ilya Kovalchuk's actions on the ice make a mockery of Valery Kharlamov and it is disgraceful that he wears #17 on his jersey. EVery time he scores a goal he reveals to everyone who ever saw Valery Kharlamov that he lacks the grace, humility and courage of that man. He reveals to us that he doesn't understand what Kharlamov was all about. It is disgusting and I resent it.
Will Ilya suddenly find respect and take the number off? His actions to this point indicate he will not. My hope is he will mature and make the change.

Chinaski*

Siberian said:

Let them hate. The hatred is for the weak. I know that the best players are from Europe. I wouldn't have followed NHL, let alone watched games if it wasn't for us and european players in general. I consider their players junk. Well I like some, but generally they are junk. Enough said.

Chinaski*

the deathtoespn is atrocious. he thinks the more he types the smarter his text is. dude you couldn't even answer my question. why don't stop this offtop you have started. you turned this thread into crap. have a drink. go out. jesus.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
chooch said:
That was a great goal on Dryden and like a Lafleur or Yzerman he didnt rub it in anyones faces.

Soviets were admired by some and hated by others. The Canadian Media is a reflection of this but some of them are "journalists" paid off by "interested parties" just like in the old Soviet system.
Had the Soviets showed up in the NHl in 1980 you;d have never heard of some of the "Great superstar" according to the Cam Coles and other media.

Everyone is sorry about the way things ended. I remember there was showing of a movie on Kharlamovs life in 1983 at a small theatre in Montreal and Savard, Lemaire and Laperierre showed up out of respect.

This is a very serious allegation which i think the poster should either give proof to or retract. :shakehead

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
I think this is North American idiocy brought originally by Canadians that players can not do such things on the ice. Kharlamov's family members are proud of Kovalchuk and they would laugh at what this poster is talking about. They don't care about little Sidney being pointed at by Kovalchuk just as Kharlamov did not give a damn about Canadian players. Kharlamov respecting Canadian players? Puhleeeeeaaase. This guy has no idea, they were enemies and what B. Clarke did just proved it to the Soviet players that they played against a team of goons. There was no such thing as respect for those opponents.

Please, shut up about Kovalchuk because Kovalchuk does this: he talks the talk and he walks the walk. He wanted to do what he did and he did it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that, this is more of an entertainment thing, at least gets attention of some potential hockey fans, so more tickets are sold. Unfortunately some in North America prefer to defend Bertuzzi and put down Kovalchuk. This is just wrong, one should be in prison while the other one is a heck of a player and never been dirty on the ice.

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
Bring Back Bucky said:
This is a very serious allegation which i think the poster should either give proof to or retract. :shakehead

As should you.

Bring Back Bucky said:
Thankfully those players got rid of their excess energy on the ice rather than endangering les innocents children on the street by barelling through the city jacked up on cheap wine straight from the bottle, treating the public utility poles like ***** targets.

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
Bring Back Bucky said:
I don't see any allegation there, my friend. :dunno:

It was an unsubstantiated allegation against Guy Lafleur, based on old rumours and innuendos. I recall him having a bad car accident in the early 80's, but he was never charged with a crime. Show me proof and I'll send you a gift certificate for a free Donair.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
Psycho Papa Joe said:
It was an unsubstantiated allegation against Guy Lafleur, based on old rumours and innuendos. Show me proof and I'll send you a gift certificate for a free Donair.

Joe, you'd have to read that into my statement... Cooch directly stated that there are members of the Canadian media on the take.

I think in your heart you know i don't really have anything but respect for the former sports drink maker.. Any other way you'd consider the donair offer??

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
Siberian said:

The Canadian media doesn't speak with one voice. Who are these media members that you feel are Anti-Russian ? Please go beyond Don Cherry.I'm curious to see who you name. I love how a group of people are tarred with one brush. I see a lot of comments lumping the French Canadian media as one unit working in concert,much like the Russian Five. I find that attutude as silly or intellectually lazy as I do yours.

Hey,hey mcphee misses his nap and gets snotty.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
mcphee said:
The Canadian media doesn't speak with one voice. Who are these media members that you feel are Anti-Russian ? Please go beyond Don Cherry.I'm curious to see who you name. I love how a group of people are tarred with one brush. I see a lot of comments lumping the French Canadian media as one unit working in concert,much like the Russian Five. I find that attutude as silly or intellectually lazy as I do yours.

The thing is, it's difficult to go beyond Cherry and McGuire because they are currently the biggest hockey broadcast personalities in Canada. Of course they don't represent everybody; but because they are as popular as they are, there has to be a large amount of support for what they're saying.

T.V. stations are only interested in the bottom line and will put on personalities that will get them higher ratings.

The thing is, you don't see that type of anti-anything in American sports broadcasting because the public doesn't put up with it. Stations would quicky replace the "bigot" if he/she was losing watchers/listners. Sadly, that doesn't seem to be the case in Canada.

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
Zine said:
The thing is, it's difficult to go beyond Cherry and McGuire because they are currently the biggest hockey broadcast personalities in Canada. Of course they don't represent everybody; but because they are as popular as they are, there has to be a large amount of support for what they're saying.

T.V. stations are only interested in the bottom line and will put on personalities that will get them higher ratings.

The thing is, you don't see that type of anti-anything in American sports broadcasting because the public doesn't put up with it. Stations would quicky replace the "bigot" if he/she was losing watchers/listners. Sadly, that doesn't seem to be the case in Canada.
I may be misunderstanding you but are you saying that bigotry is more acceptable in Canada ?

Hockey is in a different class than most US televised sports because of its int'l. nature. Football is the most popular sport, but is 99% American. It seems that a high portion of each broadcast revolves around what is acceptable behaviour and whether or not the wide receiver's celebration was excessive. Don't tell me that some dots can't beconnected there.

I haven't read the whole thread. Has someone referred to McGuire as bigoted ?

You're saying Don Cherry wouldn't be tolerated in American media ? C'mon, you don't find worse on right wing talk shows every day ?

Don Cherry is a cottage industry that a lot of people have bought into. I think as many watch hoping for the train wreck that ends his tenure as anything else. I don't watch his bit. I find him to be a blowhard and his stooge to be the worst interviewer on national television that I've ever seen. Even Cherry though, does he hate Russians, no he hates players that act outside of his own narrow guidelines. Further, Canadian media is made up of print,radio and television just like anywhere else. 1000 journalist, 1000 opinions. I'm sure some hate Russians,some may hate Norwegians.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
mcphee said:
I may be misunderstanding you but are you saying that bigotry is more acceptable in Canada ?

Hockey is in a different class than most US televised sports because of its int'l. nature. Football is the most popular sport, but is 99% American. It seems that a high portion of each broadcast revolves around what is acceptable behaviour and whether or not the wide receiver's celebration was excessive. Don't tell me that some dots can't beconnected there.

I haven't read the whole thread. Has someone referred to McGuire as bigoted ?

You're saying Don Cherry wouldn't be tolerated in American media ? C'mon, you don't find worse on right wing talk shows every day ?

Don Cherry is a cottage industry that a lot of people have bought into. I think as many watch hoping for the train wreck that ends his tenure as anything else. I don't watch his bit. I find him to be a blowhard and his stooge to be the worst interviewer on national television that I've ever seen. Even Cherry though, does he hate Russians, no he hates players that act outside of his own narrow guidelines. Further, Canadian media is made up of print,radio and television just like anywhere else. 1000 journalist, 1000 opinions. I'm sure some hate Russians,some may hate Norwegians.

No, I'm not saying bigotry is more acceptable in Canada, not by any stretch of the imagination. But in the 'hockey world' -- it seems to be.

Of course there are many bigots on American radio, T.V., print, etc. Actually, there are a lot; but seldom do they pertain to the sporting world. And if they do, those personalities aren't even close to the level of popularity attained by Cherry and McGuire. Even the notion or implication of 'Pro-Americanism' is never really seen during a normal MLB or NBA broadcast. Just look at baseball (america's pastime). How many players aren't even American? A lot. The words 'anti-Latin/Japanense/etc.' aren't even in the sport's vocabulary.

Although they may praise individual non-Canadians, as a whole Cherry and McGuire are bigots. You simply cannot tell me that a guy who came up with the term 'Chicken Swede' isn't anti-European. As for McGuire, even from his short analysis on OLN broadcasts, it's not difficult to read between the lines. While doing highlights the guy points out every mistake made by a euro and blows it out of proportion, while, simultaneously, praising come Canadian. If McGuire was on ESPN, NBC, etc., I don't think that would fly - especially if he was doing baseball or basketball broadcast.

Again, you do not see that level of bigotry or even pro-Americanism in regular US sport broadcasts because I think the public is more tolerant in this particular area. Again, it seems to be a Candian hockey thing, as at least a sizeable minority of your population sees the game as 'yours' solely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad