The Runner's Thread

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Goal for the month of December is to really get back into running. Buddy and I have committed to running 100+ miles over the month, and minimum of 1 mile per day. No exceptions.

Taking some time off the bike, and pretty happy with the pace all things considered. Had a good 4 mile run last night at about 8:30 per. Use to be able to do that run under 8 per, and plan to be back at that pace come mid-December. Really want to do an 8+ mile run at that pace as well come the end of December.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Little pull in the calf, so cycled Friday and Saturday... but tested it out on the treadmill today and was able to get 5 miles in at a 7:45 per mile pace. Should be good to go to log some miles this week. Just need to keep stretching often and shouldn't have any concerns, but I've never been the best at that.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Just a couple days left in December, and it's been a good month of running. At about 108 miles for the month as is, and hoping to finish around 130 for the month. Still plan on running a lot after December is up, but will probably scale back closer to 100 miles per week to add some more cycling back into the mix.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
I read through this thread a bit and it's safe to say you are all much more experienced than I am. :laugh:

Anyway, I stopped playing hockey back in July after I got a concussion and played very little since then. I was getting a bit tired of playing since I am 18 and have been playing year round since I was 4.

Taking that break was the best thing I ever did in regards to enjoying playing hockey again. That being said, I didn't listen to anybody when they told me to keep doing my workouts. I somehow thought playing basketball once a week and golfing would be enough. Obviously it wasn't.

I just want to get my endurance back up where it used to be and lose a few pounds while I am at it.

I was thinking of running 3 miles a day to get back in shape. Do you guys have any recommendations on rest days and good running shoes?

Even when I was playing hockey year round and working out I never thought about running but really wanted to try it out now. Thoughts?

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Now that I've moved to Salt Lake City, I'll be a running a whole lot more given the trail running I have access to that's just a 10 minute drive away to tons and tons of trails. Got my first run in yesterday.

4.7 miles
9:54 per mile pace
820 feet of elevation
average HR - 173 :laugh: part of that because I'm not use to pacing well on hills like this, and part of it because I was 5000 feet above sea level

4Ryb47l.jpg

mENtr8s.jpg

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
Goal for the month of December is to really get back into running. Buddy and I have committed to running 100+ miles over the month, and minimum of 1 mile per day. No exceptions.

Taking some time off the bike, and pretty happy with the pace all things considered. Had a good 4 mile run last night at about 8:30 per. Use to be able to do that run under 8 per, and plan to be back at that pace come mid-December. Really want to do an 8+ mile run at that pace as well come the end of December.
That's great! I always like the winter months more for running, especially up here. Even though it can be bone chillingly cold, nothing warms you up like a nice run does. Last year I shifted from cycling to running over the winter, and ran a half marathon also. I think it helped me get faster on the bike this summer.

Reactions: RayP

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
That's great! I always like the winter months more for running, especially up here. Even though it can be bone chillingly cold, nothing warms you up like a nice run does. Last year I shifted from cycling to running over the winter, and ran a half marathon also. I think it helped me get faster on the bike this summer.

Yeah I'm there with you. I love those cold morning runs. Also hard to believe I finally have access to trails like this, something I've always dreamed of since I got into running and exercising.

I'll toss the bike on the indoor training just to keep some bike fitness and at least try and maintain where I am over the winter..... but improving that run is something I've said for a hile that I want to do. Think these trails should help me out in that regard. Just need to get some winter running pants.

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
Yeah I'm there with you. I love those cold morning runs. Also hard to believe I finally have access to trails like this, something I've always dreamed of since I got into running and exercising.

I'll toss the bike on the indoor training just to keep some bike fitness and at least try and maintain where I am over the winter..... but improving that run is something I've said for a hile that I want to do. Think these trails should help me out in that regard. Just need to get some winter running pants.
The big thing (at least for me) about winter running is getting windproof clothing. I have a decent pair of cycling pants that I just layer on when I run in the winter. I find that body heat will warm you up from the cold air temps but it's the wind chill that is usually what most would describe as the most uncomfortable part about running in the winter.

edit: Oh and of course a good pair of shoes, gloves and wool socks always help too.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Yeah I've got good winter everything except running and cycling pants, so definitely will get getting something decent in that department in the coming weeks.

But man.... I regret not splurging on a good pair of wind and water proof gloves sooner. What a game changer those are.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
5.50 miles
11:49 per mile pace
1180 feet of elevation gain

Barely even ran at all during the first two miles. Terrain for mile two was especially sketchy and done at like a 17 minute pace.

Last edited:

Individual 1

Jan 25, 2012
That scenery is really nice.

I started trail running in August I do trail runs with a group in my area generally 1 hour runs on Tuesday, Thursday, Sunday and 2 hours on Saturday. I try to make 2-3 a week it is pretty fun, the trails are pretty technical lots of ups and downs and winding so its pretty slow.

I recently did a 25km trail run in 2 hours 38 minutes 6:21/km about half of it was trail that was pretty wet due to rain the day before which made it pretty slippery which was extremely frustrating. I really wanted to finish in under 2:30 but my right calf became really sore at 20km and the last 5km was done pretty slow.

2 weeks before that I did a 10.5km run in 49 minutes. I should probably try to find one race to enter before the end of the year/winter.

I have also gained a newfound respect for runners in general, being a 25 year old male some 50+ year old women are as fast as me or even faster while having incredible endurance. As well as people in the running group not being in that great of shape to look at who can run for 2 hours on a Saturday morning when they have had a busy week of working.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I've been training to run a marathon sometime next year for the last couple months. Last two years I've been focused on shorter distances (15km and below), so this is the first time I've done training runs in the 20-25km range.

I'm finding that my neck and upper back start to feel quite stiff by the time I'm approaching 20km. I do some periodic stretching of these areas as I run, it doesn't seem to help all that much. So for anyone else that might have experienced this, is there anything specific you can do to combat it, or will this just have to naturally diminish as 20km+ runs become regular routine?

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I've been training to run a marathon sometime next year for the last couple months. Last two years I've been focused on shorter distances (15km and below), so this is the first time I've done training runs in the 20-25km range.

I'm finding that my neck and upper back start to feel quite stiff by the time I'm approaching 20km. I do some periodic stretching of these areas as I run, it doesn't seem to help all that much. So for anyone else that might have experienced this, is there anything specific you can do to combat it, or will this just have to naturally diminish as 20km+ runs become regular routine?

I had this problem when I first got into long distance running. Turned out I was shrugging my shoulders up a lot, and keeping them shrugged up. Took some time, but just had to keep reminding myself to run more relaxed. Eventually went entirely away.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I had this problem when I first got into long distance running. Turned out I was shrugging my shoulders up a lot, and keeping them shrugged up. Took some time, but just had to keep reminding myself to run more relaxed. Eventually went entirely away.

I'll make a conscious point of keeping them relaxed next time out and see if it helps. Thanks for the input.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I'll make a conscious point of keeping them relaxed next time out and see if it helps. Thanks for the input.

I couldn't find it searching really quickly right now, but there is also a "yoga ball" someone let me try once. Basically you'd pin it to a wall with your back/shoulder, and roll it out. Felt freaking amazing. Found some similar things, but not the one I used. Whatever they used to put inside the ball, was 10000000 times better than any other I have ever used before.

I'll try to find the exact one I'm referring to again later today.

Reactions: Kyle McMahon

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005

I used to tense/stress my upper body as well. With more mileage managed to improve my overall form and efficiency (still a lot of room for improvement). I believe this way of maintaining fingers has been beneficial to reduce this problem. Also engaging more of the hips/core movement and not shoulders especially at higher speed.

large_Fist.jpg

Running Technique: 3 Hand Positions for Better Running

Last edited:

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
The big thing (at least for me) about winter running is getting windproof clothing. I have a decent pair of cycling pants that I just layer on when I run in the winter. I find that body heat will warm you up from the cold air temps but it's the wind chill that is usually what most would describe as the most uncomfortable part about running in the winter.

Yeah, I have a great set of winter windproof running pants and a light jacket which make colder running definitely more enjoyable. Now all I need is a good set of running gloves or more likely mittens for those sub -20C runs.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I used to tense/stress my upper body as well. With more mileage managed to improve my overall form and efficiency (still a lot of room for improvement). I believe this way of maintaining fingers has been beneficial to reduce this problem. Also engaging more of the hips/core movement and not shoulders especially at higher speed.

large_Fist.jpg

Running Technique: 3 Hand Positions for Better Running

Never even thought about what sort of fist I was making, I'll definitely be testing this out.

bring back the jets

Oct 30, 2010

edit: Oh and of course a good pair of shoes, gloves and wool socks always help too.

People always think i'm crazy running in the cold but if you are covered from the wind you can get by in the coldest of temps with not that much on. I like to dress a tad warmer though just incase I have to stop for whatever reason.

OilerPensfan97

Feb 27, 2014
Saint John, NB
This thread has been empty for over a year! I'm going to try and revive it, lol.

I ran my first ever full marathon on Sunday with a chip time of 3:25:02. Been training incredibly hard for several months, so I am super proud of this accomplishment!

Anyone else on here been racing?

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
This thread has been empty for over a year! I'm going to try and revive it, lol.

I ran my first ever full marathon on Sunday with a chip time of 3:25:02. Been training incredibly hard for several months, so I am super proud of this accomplishment!

That’s awesome! Which marathon?

I’ve got a 50K trail race coming up in 3 weeks. Training had been going great until a got sick one weekend and then 2 weekends later that stopped me from running entirely. Then of course this weekend I’m out of town and won’t be able to run.

I’ve got one more tune up long run of 22-24 miles the following week and then it’s go time.

Reactions: OilerPensfan97

OilerPensfan97

Feb 27, 2014
Saint John, NB
That’s awesome! Which marathon?

I’ve got a 50K trail race coming up in 3 weeks. Training had been going great until a got sick one weekend and then 2 weekends later that stopped me from running entirely. Then of course this weekend I’m out of town and won’t be able to run.

I’ve got one more tune up long run of 22-24 miles the following week and then it’s go time.

Legs For Literacy in Moncton, my province's largest running event. A nice and flat course! I got the better portion of the year to train, so I was probably ready for a while, but my local marathon is super hilly (it was also a double loop this year, so you did the same hills twice). Definitely wouldn't have gotten near the time I did this month. I may go for it next year, though. The next challenge you could say!

Best of luck in your 50k! Those are tough races to train for, but seeing the runs you have done in the past, you should do great :).

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Legs For Literacy in Moncton, my province's largest running event. A nice and flat course! I got the better portion of the year to train, so I was probably ready for a while, but my local marathon is super hilly (it was also a double loop this year, so you did the same hills twice). Definitely wouldn't have gotten near the time I did this month. I may go for it next year, though. The next challenge you could say!

Best of luck in your 50k! Those are tough races to train for, but seeing the runs you have done in the past, you should do great :).

Nice! I haven’t ran a flat marathon since I did the Marine Corps Marathon (which is this weekend, actually) a few years ago. Next year I want to do an easier one to see where I’m at. I’ve come a long way running over the years.

Yeah I usually prefer triathlon training so running this much has been difficult, but I’ve managed to add some mountain biking in for fun. Lately I’ve been dying to get on the road bike.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006

Ran my first ever marathon this season as well, back in May. I'll probably run that one again next year (Red Deer Marathon, which I doubt anyone has heard of that's not from Alberta). I'd like to qualify for Boston next year, but it's going to be tough, especially with the qualifying time dropping to 3 hours flat for my age group. My time last year was just under 3:10, so I think I have a chance if everything goes right.

I did a 15k and a 10k as well. Very happy with the result from the 15k, the 10k was kinda meh as far as my time, but the course was incredibly hilly so I guess that's going to prevent great times.

Congrats on your marathon. Definitely a feeling of accomplishment to cross that finish line. How did you feel at the end? For me those last 3 km were a grueling slog. It's funny how I was still worried about my time at the 35km mark and by the 40km mark it was like "holy crap am I even going to make it to the finish line?"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->