The Runner's Thread

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
the pen is mightier, are you going to try to do any longer distances after your half?

I'd love to complete a marathon, but right now it just seems like such a ridiculous distance considering my legs start to get really sore as I near the completion of a half distance. I think i need to get down from 175 to around 150 in order to help my legs not take such a pounding on the longer runs.

The letsrun.com forums are so brutal for normal guys trying to get better at running. a 3 hour marathon is a slow time to all those forum warriors. I would be bragging if I could break a 4 hour marathon, and these guys are acting like you need to run 26.2 in 2:30 minutes to even be considered a runner. :laugh:

When I made the jump from a 1/2 to a full, I didn't think I'd ever be able to do it... but with consistent training, and drinking a lot less on the weekends so I could get up early on a Saturday or Sunday for a long run... It actually was a lot easier to do than I thought it would be.

The first time I went north o 17 miles I struggled... but the second time I did 17, and then went beyond that, was when I really got into a groove. But man, that first time I did 17 I was eaten alive. That was when I really had to focus and prep better.

I blew my best shot at a sub 4 hour marathon, at the Marine Corps Marathon in DC. Got drunk as **** the night before, showed up to the start line about 30 minutes late... and ran the first 8 miles in a huge pack doing about 14 minutes per mile, when my goal for the first half was a sub 8 per mile pace. At the end of the day I think I finished at 4h 10m, or something close to that.

the pen is mightier

Apr 24, 2012
Edmonton
Running my first half on Sunday, and this is my first time going through a training program, this taper week thing is actually kind of hard. I find that I got into a groove with the mileage i was putting in that cutting back feels like I'm missing out.

the pen is mightier

Apr 24, 2012
Edmonton
Ran my first half marathon on Sunday, ended up finishing in 2:03. Pretty happy with the result, was hoping for under 2 hours, but I've had a nasty cold this week and can only hear out of one ear right now, so I"ll take it.

Chairman Mallard

Mar 9, 2007
Santa Rosa
Thanks! Took a couple days off to recover. Ready for the next one now.

I can't seem to avoid getting hurt. I think doing 10, 13, and 17 mile runs in a two week period was overkill and I feel like I may have gotten a stress fracture in my right foot. Haven't run in about two weeks now but the foot is sore now even after a ~22 mile bike ride and it doesn't really feel like a flesh type injury. Will give it a few more weeks and hope for the best and if its still sore I guess I may go to the doc and see what they think.

the pen is mightier

Apr 24, 2012
Edmonton
I can't seem to avoid getting hurt. I think doing 10, 13, and 17 mile runs in a two week period was overkill and I feel like I may have gotten a stress fracture in my right foot. Haven't run in about two weeks now but the foot is sore now even after a ~22 mile bike ride and it doesn't really feel like a flesh type injury. Will give it a few more weeks and hope for the best and if its still sore I guess I may go to the doc and see what they think.

Damn, that's no fun. I feel your pain, a week after my half, my knee has just started giving me grief for no particular reason. It's really messing up my running and stairs workouts.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Bought some On Cloud running shoes. First pair of something other than Asics Kayanos I've bought in a few years... Loving these new ones. About half the weight of the Kayanos but still a ton of support. Only rhing that is worse is the lateral support but I don't really do anything in them where that is a huge deal. But have noticed if I step in a small "pothole" on a sidewalk or whatever it would be 20 times easier to roll an ankle in these... So just have to be a bit more alert in that regard.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Got some new running shoes a month or so ago... and was reserving judgement until I properly broke them in. Loved them at first, and love them just as much if not more since breaking them in. Huge, huge fan of these. About half the weight of the Asics Kayanos I have bought for years, and even feel more cushioned and comfortable.

Still need to get a 15+ mile run in them to know for a fact I could do say a marathon in them.... but as long as I train properly, I don't see that being an issue.

scarpa%20running%20men%20ON%20CLOUD%20%20pacific%20&%20sunset.jpg

jorbjorb

hello.
Dec 28, 2010
Got some new running shoes a month or so ago... and was reserving judgement until I properly broke them in. Loved them at first, and love them just as much if not more since breaking them in. Huge, huge fan of these. About half the weight of the Asics Kayanos I have bought for years, and even feel more cushioned and comfortable.

Still need to get a 15+ mile run in them to know for a fact I could do say a marathon in them.... but as long as I train properly, I don't see that being an issue.

scarpa%20running%20men%20ON%20CLOUD%20%20pacific%20&%20sunset.jpg
what brand is that? model?

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
Beaupré, Quebec
So, I haven't been in here much, but I'm currently training for the Mystery Mountain Marathon here in Atlanta, GA, and then I'll be doing a 50k probably either later this year or earlier next year.

I've also recently made a change to my footwear. I've been wearing a combo of Nike LunarTempos, Brooks Transcends, and Saucony Rides, but I'm moved to Hoka One One. I recently got a pair of the Claytons and Vanquish. If all goes well, I will definitely get the Speedgoat which is also the race that I want to do next year (Speedgoat 50k).

the pen is mightier

Apr 24, 2012
Edmonton
So, I haven't been in here much, but I'm currently training for the Mystery Mountain Marathon here in Atlanta, GA, and then I'll be doing a 50k probably either later this year or earlier next year.

I've also recently made a change to my footwear. I've been wearing a combo of Nike LunarTempos, Brooks Transcends, and Saucony Rides, but I'm moved to Hoka One One. I recently got a pair of the Claytons and Vanquish. If all goes well, I will definitely get the Speedgoat which is also the race that I want to do next year (Speedgoat 50k).

Welcome, a 50k is on my list after this summer's marathon. When is your marathon?

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Hey, this might be (probably is) a complicated question, but what shoes would you recommend for a person starting to run? I am looking for a pair that doesn't lead to problems down the road, and am willing to spend $100-$120.

the pen is mightier

Apr 24, 2012
Edmonton
Hey, this might be (probably is) a complicated question, but what shoes would you recommend for a person starting to run? I am looking for a pair that doesn't lead to problems down the road, and am willing to spend $100-$120.

My recommendation would be to go to a store that does a gait analysis and then select from there. I started out with some shoes that looked nice and felt ok when I got them, but turned out they destroyed my calves. Got a gait analysis done, and the shoes they recommended have been much better, no more shoe related pain.

I use Brooks Pureflow 4s now, but, that's what works for me. Plus, once you have a shoe that works for you, you can buy the next pair online, usually cheaper.

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
Beaupré, Quebec
Ran a solid 12+ miles yesterday. Weather was rough in Atlanta with the humidity being what it is, but I was able to finish and injury free! It's been the longest since my injury as I begin to work my way pack up to Ultra distance.

I recently got the Hoka Vanquish 2, and I must say, despite the $170 price tag for them, they are probably the best running shoes I've ever put on. I feel like I'm absolutely gliding.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
My recommendation would be to go to a store that does a gait analysis and then select from there. I started out with some shoes that looked nice and felt ok when I got them, but turned out they destroyed my calves. Got a gait analysis done, and the shoes they recommended have been much better, no more shoe related pain.

I use Brooks Pureflow 4s now, but, that's what works for me. Plus, once you have a shoe that works for you, you can buy the next pair online, usually cheaper.

I'll do that. I'm focused on finding the 'right' shoe before I do anything else.

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
Beaupré, Quebec
Less than a month until the largest 10k in the U.S.!

I'll be running it although the distance isn't what I prefer, however, it's a staple here in Atlanta so I feel like it's something I have to do...again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->