Speculation: The Roster Building Thread - To the deadline and beyond!

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Yeah, yeah. I've been to NY a half a dozen times, and seen all their fancy models. There's also world class uggos too. Now I'm sure a guy like Tavares could get any unemployed model he wants, but if he's looking for a beautiful, world class gold digger that will wait on him hand and foot, he'd have his pick of the litter here in Raleigh.

/s

There is always that....:thumbu:. I think I might just steal that phrase, "....our gold diggers are better than your gold diggers".

The easy choice is for JT to stay on the Island. He can get the 8 year deal and they do have a "young-ish" team to support him. But the cupboard is relatively bare and they've got some work to do to re-sign some of that youth.

Structurally, we probably have as good of a shot as anybody. Cap's gonna go up fairly significantly. We've got so horses down in Charlotte that should be able to fill out slots in the bottom 6. Upcoming contracts to Skinner, Faulk, Lindy, Hanifin, Aho, and Teravainen will necessitate this team spending far closer to the cap....regardless.

My guess is that we make a run at Tavares, but settle for another player who is either a low end #1C or a scoring wing.

Jun 21, 2016
Latvia
If JT hits free agency, I believe that Canes have a legit 50% chance to get him. We have plenty of cap space, new owner who wants to win now, our core of players are young, we are improving all the time, and if we fix our goalie situation we are a playoff team for foreseeable future. If he wants to go to a big market then fair enough, but if he is fine with one more smaller market, Canes are one of the best options.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
People I'd like to target:

Goalies:
Lehner <--> Pick
Raanta
Mrazek
Ward
Halak

Forwards:
RoR <---> Faulk
Neal
JVR
Hornqvist
Backlund
Vanek
Stastny
Komarov
Grabner
Eller

D
Carlson
Green
Hjalmarsson <--> Pick if whiff on other options...but prefer more ofd

Lineup
=====

Neal - RoR - Lindholm
Aho - Backlund - TT
McGinn - Staal - Hornqvist
Komarov- Wallmark - Grabner

Slavin -Pesce
Hanifin -Carlson
Fleury - Green
TVR

Lehner
Raanta

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Fair enough. Is there a team that can afford him that is already making the playoffs?

I realize that’s a tough question due to the fact that teams always seem to be able to shuffle pieces under the cap and fit in a contract we didn’t think possible, but at the same time, it’s gotta be feasible, and it’s not feasible with most contenders, right?

They'll trade some scrubs to us, and toss in a 3rd. We'll celebrate. They'll sign Tavares.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
3rd round pick for Josh Levio. Interest anybody?

I rather call up someone from Checkers.
Exactly...any move now needs to either be to let a Checker or three breath the sweet smell of the NHL or something more impactful on the team.

One thing I did note about the SJ game. Our lack of team strength was painfully apparent. Those boys need to hit the weight room.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Exactly...any move now needs to either be to let a Checker or three breath the sweet smell of the NHL or something more impactful on the team.

One thing I did note about the SJ game. Our lack of team strength was painfully apparent. Those boys need to hit the weight room.

Hooray for the billionnaire owner. We can afford equipment and have guys up from AHL.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Depends what you mean "on the block." If you mean actively trying to trade (ie..on the trade block), then no, not everybody else as it would be resetting the rebuild and we'd be having the same discussion for another 5 years. If you mean "available for the right deal" for most of them and shopping a couple of them, then yea, probably that.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Depends what you mean "on the block." If you mean actively trying to trade (ie..on the trade block), then no, not everybody else as it would be resetting the rebuild and we'd be having the same discussion for another 5 years. If you mean "available for the right deal" for most of them and shopping a couple of them, then yea, probably that.

Oh, no, BBA, there you go bringing logic and reason into this. Don't you know we're supposed to trade away EVERYBODY for an entirely new roster all in the name of "doing something?"

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

Not that we are in a "trade for futures" position and I don't know enough about TB's pipeline... but assuming we are in sell mode at the deadline, could this be an option for a Faulk move? Are there any high potential forwards that are close to NHL ready in TB's pipeline?

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC

Not that we are in a "trade for futures" position and I don't know enough about TB's pipeline... but assuming we are in sell mode at the deadline, could this be an option for a Faulk move? Are there any high potential forwards that are close to NHL ready in TB's pipeline?

I don't get it though. They have veteran, nay, All Star calibre, talent in Syracuse who could bolster their defense...

McBain.jpg

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014

I don't see anyone worth moving Faulk for. Howden, Katchouk, Foote, etc. are more of what the Canes already have. Would rather target a Roster player like Hoffman or RNH in that case. Maybe TB overpays in quantity for McDonagh which trickles down to Faulk's value.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm

I don't see anyone worth moving Faulk for. Howden, Katchouk, Foote, etc. are more of what the Canes already have. Would rather target a Roster player like Hoffman or RNH in that case. Maybe TB overpays in quantity for McDonagh which trickles down to Faulk's value.

I'd do Faulk for Point if TB would do it. Not sure they would, though.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina

Raddysh, Howden, or Katchouk (I'd prefer Raddysh) and a pick would do it for me. We don't have much like those guys actually....big who can score and aren't afraid of physicality (plus Howden's apparently fast as Lightning - see what I did there).

But in the end, I'd still think long and hard about that type of trade. I agree that we need something/somebody with a bit more "urgency" of contribution.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad