The Ricky Bobby Ryan Monster Truck all Purpose Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cashin

Sep 24, 2014
Honestly though, what "stars" have we lost due to salary?

Hossa? Maybe, but we signed Heatley to a 7 year deal after that. Nonsense that followed nor withstanding.

Chara? Arguably, that was because of us being against the cap and because Muckler the moron decided that our money was better spent on Redden.

After that...who? Alfredsson has been discussed ad nauseum but we lost a 41 year old Alfie, not the one in his prime.

And Spezza...he wanted out. But if he wanted to stay, the team would have re-signed him.

Who else have the Senators let walk that you could consider a franchise-type player?

This has nothing to do with the current management but Yashin was seriously irked around by this franchise in it's early days. This team has a track record of trying to underpay key/star players.

Alfredsson was not in his prime but...he had been the face of the franchise for more than a decade, the leader for at least that long. Closest thing to an Yzerman that we had. The threat of a PR nightmare alone should have made the organization do anything they could to get Alfie back for 1 or 2 more years. And he had a solid 2013-2014 season for a 41-year old who was well out of his prime.

Last edited:

VortexDr

Jul 5, 2013
zzzz still no contract much less any news of progress on him signing....what are they doing....

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
zzzz still no contract much less any news of progress on him signing....what are they doing....

Probably checking to see what other teams are offering for him. Murray is a pretty shrewd dealer. He's going to wait until the point where he can get the best return. Maybe he gets dealt at the point that a contender starts feeling the effects of injuries. Who knows.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Probably checking to see what other teams are offering for him. Murray is a pretty shrewd dealer. He's going to wait until the point where he can get the best return. Maybe he gets dealt at the point that a contender starts feeling the effects of injuries. Who knows.

Murray is an inconsistent dealer. Not a shrewd dealer.

What you just described, he didn't do that with bishop.

He makes some good deals, and some bad deals.

I'm holding my breath waiting on a potential return. I'm not as confident as you are on bmurr.

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
Murray is an inconsistent dealer. Not a shrewd dealer.

What you just described, he didn't do that with bishop.

He makes some good deals, and some bad deals.

I'm holding my breath waiting on a potential return. I'm not as confident as you are on bmurr.

That's fair. I'm a Murray fan but he has made some questionable moves lately. The Bishop deal, as well as trading picks for Hemsky when it was clear our season was already over. Hopefully he can rebound with whatever we get back for Ryan though.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Since the salary cap, trade returns are vastly diminished. There's no bunch of rich teams willing to take your older star players and pawn off all their picks and prospects on us. All teams build the same way now. Trade values are so low it hardly seems worthwhile holding on to a player thinking maybe if we just keep him and ruin chemistry or our chances a while longer that we can get a 3rd rounder instead of a 4th.

I think that kind of managing isnt focusing on maximizing the proper things. I would look at things like not making a deal because you didnt want to give a ntc, or not making a trade because you didnt want to trade a 1st or be labelled by the accountants as having slightly overpaid even when not spending to the cap as the true weakness of a GM to be overcome.

When Chicago first won the Cup they had an overpaid Campbell and a $5mil dollar Huet on the bench. LA had an overpaid Richards on the 4th line. Overpaying might be a prerequisite to winning. Not dillying and dallying hoping something better might come along

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
This has nothing to do with the current management but Yashin was seriously irked around by this franchise in it's early days. This team has a track record of trying to underpay key/star players.

Alfredsson was not in his prime but...he had been the face of the franchise for more than a decade, the leader for at least that long. Closest thing to an Yzerman that we had. The threat of a PR nightmare alone should have made the organization do anything they could to get Alfie back for 1 or 2 more years. And he had a solid 2013-2014 season for a 41-year old who was well out of his prime.

Do you know something about the financial situation of this team that we don't?

We were a seriously struggling franchise, we're OK now as far as I can tell. We're not some giant behemoth that can spend whatever we want but it's not like we have an owner who can't even afford to pay his players.

I understand players have left for money in the past but it's worth putting into perspective just how dire things were at the time compared with today.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
The only trade we can say that BM made that can be considered a bad trade is the Conacher deal because the return didn't work out. But at the time a lot of people thought Conacher was going to be a great player, he came off a very good AHL yr & start to the season with Tampa when we traded for him. I don't think it is BM's fault that he has fallen off the rails. Also at the time all three goalies were playing great who knew that the two we kept were both going to take a step backwards in the same yr?

I am probably the only guy who things he got more than he should have for Spezza who IMO was a depreciating asset with ongoing injury problems & was terrible defensively. Three assets & a 2nd rd pick in a deep draft for our scouts is a pretty good trade off for Spezza whose production is dropping like a rock. Ryan was also a good deal wasn't he? At the time the majority of this board wanted him, are we now saying that BM should not have made that deal? The Turris trade was his best IMO, with Michalek he got the best he could with a gun to his head & Methot is our 2nd best defenceman. So which trade exactly was a bad trade for Ottawa?

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I think you have to put any trade involving a goalie in a different category. Over the last few years, it is hard to recall any team that managed to get good value in trading a goalie. Teams are reluctant to part with key assets for a starter, and they won't give you a thing for a backup...

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
... I am probably the only guy who things he got more than he should have for Spezza who IMO was a depreciating asset with ongoing injury problems & was terrible defensively. Three assets & a 2nd rd pick in a deep draft for our scouts is a pretty good trade off for Spezza whose production is dropping like a rock. ...

Nick Paul could very well be the best asset out of those 4.

Do you think that, if Ryan does not sign and BM decides to pull the trigger, we can get a 1st included. That would be sweet. I assume a contender does not want to part with another top asset other than a really good prospect. That and a 1st in this draft could be an interesting debate.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I think you have to put any trade involving a goalie in a different category. Over the last few years, it is hard to recall any team that managed to get good value in trading a goalie. Teams are reluctant to part with key assets for a starter, and they won't give you a thing for a backup...

I guess the best comparisons for the Bishop trade are the following:

Bernier for 2nd rd pick, Scrivens, and Frattin

Schnieder for a 9th OA.

and maybe Varlamov for 1st Rnd + 2nd round pick.

All those guys were more proven and younger than Bishop, and as such got more return.

Also, while Conacher didn't pan out, his value was high, as a finalist for the rookie of the year. Pro scouting failed us on Conacher imo, but value at the time was not bad.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I guess the best comparisons for the Bishop trade are the following:

Bernier for 2nd rd pick, Scrivens, and Frattin

Schnieder for a 9th OA.

and maybe Varlamov for 1st Rnd + 2nd round pick.

All those guys were more proven and younger than Bishop, and as such got more return.

Also, while Conacher didn't pan out, his value was high, as a finalist for the rookie of the year. Pro scouting failed us on Conacher imo, but value at the time was not bad.

That's a good group of comparables. My take is that no one got a huge return there. Bernier was considered a blue chip prospect, and he really didn't net the Kings that much. I would consider that to be fairly similar to the Bishop trade in terms of the quality of return relative to what was given up. As for the Caps, sure they got a 1st and 2nd, but they gave away a guy who helped bring the Avs from the basement to the playoffs in one year. They better hope that one of those picks pans out.

And that Schneider trade - yikes. Bo Horvat, who the Canucks drafted with that #9 pick, may eventually be a good second line NHL player, but Schneider is a great goaltender who will anchor the Devils now for years. And then they end up finally dumping Luongo anyway? Dumb, dumb, dumb. Mike Gillis will never be given the keys to a franchise ever again after that debacle. The Canucks were an elite team, and thanks to his mismanagement they are basically starting over again...

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
And that Schneider trade - yikes. Bo Horvat, who the Canucks drafted with that #9 pick, may eventually be a good second line NHL player, but Schneider is a great goaltender who will anchor the Devils now for years. And then they end up finally dumping Luongo anyway? Dumb, dumb, dumb. Mike Gillis will never be given the keys to a franchise ever again after that debacle. The Canucks were an elite team, and thanks to his mismanagement they are basically starting over again...

I disagree. I think the Canucks actually did pretty well with their goaltending situation.

They traded Luongo and Schneider for assets and signed Miller and Lack to replace them. Admittedly those two are a step down from Luongo and Schneider, but they also aren't getting paid nearly as much.

It's essentially Luongo and Schneider for Miller, Lack, Horvat, Matthias and another 3M in cap space, which helped them sign Vrbata.

Not a bad trade off at all. It's actually pretty good asset management looking at the big picture.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I disagree. I think the Canucks actually did pretty well with their goaltending situation.

They traded Luongo and Schneider for assets and signed Miller and Lack to replace them. Admittedly those two are a step down from Luongo and Schneider, but they also aren't getting paid nearly as much.

It's essentially Luongo and Schneider for Miller, Lack, Horvat, Matthias and another 3M in cap space, which helped them sign Vrbata.

Not a bad trade off at all. It's actually pretty good asset management looking at the big picture.

Lack was already in the system since 2010. Miller is 34, and a downgrade from Luongo and more expensive to boot. Granted, they get out of 5 years of Luongo at which time he'd definitely be over the hill.

At the end of the day, they could have kept Schnieder, and still moved Lu, which would be a wash for cap space as Miller is the same hit as Schnieder's next contract (2mil more for this year).

I'd rather have Schnieder for the foreseeable future than Horvat who might pan out as a great 2nd liner. They did fine moving Luongo (you forgot acquiring Markstrom btw) as that was a horrendously long contract, but in the end they dug their own grave on that one.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
I got a feeling that the silence from all parties means that Bobby and the team are working on a new deal.

The silence from all the insiders about no trade talk involving Ryan makes me think something is up.

Last edited:

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Miller is not a step down from Luongo, imo it's the other way around. Schneider's better than all of them though going forward.

I agree with the sentiment that in hindsight, things worked out ok for Van, but if they hadnt signed miller, it would still look like a mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad