The referee in the final?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
Who is going to be the referee of the final between Russia and Canada? I hope its not going to be an American or Finnish referee. I would prefer Swedish or Czech referee. But if anyone has knowledge about this subject let me know.

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
I hope it's the Russian ref TSN hates. That'll stir up a bit of controversy, lol.

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
Metallian said:
I hope it's the Russian ref TSN hates. That'll stir up a bit of controversy, lol.

It can't be a Russian ref because of the IIHF rules. Sure Canadian refs will judge Canada's games in olympics but the rules are different here.

It would be interesting though to have a Russian ref in this game just to hear the reaction of the TSN. Those whiny hypocrites. They see no problem with CANADIAN refs judging Canada's games, but cry a murder when European ref is judging Canada's games.

BTW, you Russian hockey fans should always be aware when a Finnish referee is judging Russia's games. Finnish people generally hate Russians more than anyone in Europe. It was a crime to put Hannu Henriksson to judge the semifinal between Russia and Canada in the last year's World Championships, knowing his history with Russian hockey teams.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
Peter25 said:
It can't be a Russian ref because of the IIHF rules. Sure Canadian refs will judge Canada's games in olympics but the rules are different here.

It would be interesting though to have a Russian ref in this game just to hear the reaction of the TSN. Those whiny hypocrites. They see no problem with CANADIAN refs judging Canada's games, but cry a murder when European ref is judging Canada's games.

BTW, you Russian hockey fans should always be aware when a Finnish referee is judging Russia's games. Finnish people generally hate Russians more than anyone in Europe. It was a crime to put Hannu Henriksson to judge the semifinal between Russia and Canada in the last year's World Championships, knowing his history with Russian hockey teams.

:shakehead

That's not true.

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
blacklabel said:
:shakehead

That's not true.

I think it is. I'm not saying every Finnish ref is like Henriksson, but I noticed unusual amount of 2 min penalties given to Russia against the USA - and there was yet again a Finnish ref in that game.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
Peter25 said:
I think it is. I'm not saying every Finnish ref is like Henriksson, but I noticed unusual amount of 2 min penalties given to Russia against the USA - and there was yet again a Finnish ref in that game.

But you said Finnish people usually hate the Russians. I know many Finnish people and none of them hate the Russians.

So you're nothing but trolling here.

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
blacklabel said:
But you said Finnish people usually hate the Russians. I know many Finnish people and none of them hate the Russians.

Not every Finn hates Russians but a big portion of them hates or dislikes Russians. I know this for a fact.

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
blacklabel said:

Don't worry. We just cannot forget that Finnish referee from last year WC's semifinal. It has nothing to do with Finnish people or Russians. That guy is just legend in Russia and he is always welcome :D If I remember well even Hannu Aravirta excused for that referee in our press.

BobMckenzie

Jul 23, 2003
I initially was led to believe the Swedish referee would be doing the gold medal game but it now appears the American official (Thul) will be the ref.

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
BobMckenzie said:
I initially was led to believe the Swedish referee would be doing the gold medal game but it now appears the American official (Thul) will be the ref.
Thanks Bob. Great news. A NA ref is needed so the boys can play and clean body checks aren't called penalties like a lot of Euro refs like to call. He probably won't fall for Russian dives either.

And to Peter25 (the same guy that whines and cries during every international competition about Canadian "cheating") The NHL refs are the best Refs in the world. That is why they officiate at the Olympics. These guys are professional refs, this is what they do for a living, they don't tilt to one side or the other because of international allegiences. It's just another poor excuse for you to whine.

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
BobMckenzie said:

Of course it will be American.

Canada's chances increases rapidly with American referee. We all know he's going favor Canada, but let's hope that doesnt't influence the game too much. I'm still a little scared. This doesn't sound good at all.

Hashmark

Nov 25, 2005
ryz said:
And to Peter25 (the same guy that whines and cries during every international competition about Canadian "cheating") The NHL refs are the best Refs in the world. That is why they officiate at the Olympics. These guys are professional refs, this is what they do for a living, they don't tilt to one side or the other because of international allegiences. It's just another poor excuse for you to whine.

Actually, no. The refs at the Olympics were NHL refs because the NHL insisted on NHL refs if there would be NHL players involved. If memory serves, there was no such demand this time around.

Of course, the NHL refs are the best refs in the world, but that's not why they ref the Olympics - that's why they ref in the NHL.

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
ryz said:
The NHL refs are the best Refs in the world. That is why they officiate at the Olympics.
No, they're officiating at the Olympics because its mostly NHL players and they want a consistancy to continue with the new NHL style of calling penaltys

If NHL refs are the best in the world, why have they been non-calling obstruction for all these years to the point that the NHL had to completely revamp its officiating system? :shakehead If anything they're pretty bad

Yureeka47*

AWFUL news!!! SIMPLY AWFUL!!!!! Russia will get at least 8 penalties, guaranteed.. just watch. This is horrible. I wish he was swedish or czech! THIS SUCKS!

Bloggins

Dec 1, 2005
Oh yea, an American ref will really give the edge to Canada because they just Love team Canada right now :biglaugh:

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
blacklabel said:
We don't hate either Russians or Ukrainians. Don't believe what Peter25 said.

No, I was saying Ukrainians hate Russians more than Finn's

It's a fact.

SammyTheBull

Dec 1, 2005
Peter25 said:
Not every Finn hates Russians but a big portion of them hates or dislikes Russians. I know this for a fact.

Unsubstantiated claim, do you have any evidence or are you just using an anecdote as fact?

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It's pathetic how much focus the nationality of the ref gets at times.

There are good refs and bad refs.

Nationality doesn't enter into it.

Canada won back to back World Championships in Europe, with European rules, European refs, and European fans.

A Czech reffed one of the finals, I don't remember who reffed the other.

What's Russia's excuse for a decade of lackluster performances?

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
NyQuil said:
It's pathetic how much focus the nationality of the ref gets at times.
I'll tell you why it happens. People don't boo referees because they are bad even if they are bad, peoples are bad too and it's hard to blame referee for being bad when you are bad. People boo referees because they are from another country or nationality while people aren't. That's what separate them and it's the thing that can be booed. IMHO.

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
It amazes me time after time that Canadians see no difference in Swedish ref judging a game between Canada and Russia, and a Canadian ref judging a game between Canada and Russia.

How would you feel if there's a Russian ref in the olympic final between Canada and Russia? Would that be fair? Of course not.

Hockey is the ONLY major sport where a referee is allowed to judge a game of his own country in major tournaments. The ONLY sport. This is just wrong.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I think the worst ref in the NHL is Stephane Auger and he's Canadian.

I suppose, if I were European, I'd claim that, because he's French-Canadian, he has it in for the Ottawa Senators because he must like the Montreal Canadiens.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Peter25 said:
It amazes me time after time that Canadians see no difference in Swedish ref judging a game between Canada and Russia, and a Canadian ref judging a game between Canada and Russia.

It amazes me that you see a difference between a Czech or Swedish ref judging a game between Canada and Russia and a Finnish or US ref judging a game between Canada and Russia.

Peter25 said:
Hockey is the ONLY major sport where a referee is allowed to judge a game of his own country in major tournaments. The ONLY sport. This is just wrong.

According to YOU, that's not even good enough.

Apparently, only refs from two countries are allowed to ref a game between Canada and Russia: Sweden and Czech Republic.

How stupid is that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad