The Ref Fix (and not what you think)

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
This is NOT a referee bashing thread.

Fans of every team whine about calls and non calls. Some cite “bias” or that the league favours Canadian, American, big market, or small market teams.

All of that is nonsense.

The universal truth about NHL officiating is that they don’t call everything. You can’t call everything. There would be 60 mins of constant 3 on 3 and the box would be full. They are also human and miss things slow mo replay catches.

A penalty in the 1st is usually not a penalty in OT. It is just is. Deal with it.

HOWEVER, one thing that is real and a major problem is consistency from game to game. Some let things go. Some are more strict.

Refs also do not seem to have an understanding of what is happening through the series.

The SOLUTION is to assign Refs to a series and don’t rotate them around game by game. Teams would understand what they can and can’t get away with. Instead of a game by game variance in tolerance. Warnings to players would carry over.

In short it would be an improvement over what we have now.

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010
Terrible idea as refs are human, and can build biases game in game out.

You also want different refs coming in and out game to game to balance how games are called, every ref is trained consistently and has the same reference point (say their cup is half full) what the other half of the cup looks like is a bit more qualitative. Different refs look for different things.

If you have a ref that “lets them play”, this can favour a goon type team for the whole series. As opposed to getting a ref the next game that calls a very tight game, and would favour the other teams style of play.

There are a whole list of reasons to not have the same refs for every game.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
If you are basing this off of last night's game you are far far far off the mark,

Review the calls that were made.

Bozak slashing - correct call, the call was made for the slash into the hands, but CBC either missed it, or glossed over it

Zaitsev tripping - well, yea easy call

Grzelyck - tripping - well yea, easy call

Hyman, Gardiner, Backes roughing - pretty much, if Gardiner stays out, its a PP

Bozak -interference, that was one of the idiotic penalties of the game, nowhere near the play, guy isn't dangerous, but takes him out anyways

Polak - Slashing - obvious call

Johnsson - Hooking - probably holding, but again, pretty easy call if you are coasting and reach out to impede

Dermott - Holding - Actually don't remember that one, so let's be gracious and assume that one is a bad penalty to call,

ONE out of the entire game....

Your grasping at straws

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I don't have a team in this race but some of the elimination games have been called pretty one sided. Tampa 5 PPs to 1. Penguins 5PPs to 1. Bruins 5 PPs to 1.
I think it's some payback for the shocking amount of "NHL has fixed it for the Leafs" in game 4 when the refs botched the over the glass penalty. I could not being the outrage and accusations over that.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
If you are basing this off of last night's game you are far far far off the mark,

Review the calls that were made.

Bozak slashing - correct call, the call was made for the slash into the hands, but CBC either missed it, or glossed over it

Zaitsev tripping - well, yea easy call

Grzelyck - tripping - well yea, easy call

Hyman, Gardiner, Backes roughing - pretty much, if Gardiner stays out, its a PP

Bozak -interference, that was one of the idiotic penalties of the game, nowhere near the play, guy isn't dangerous, but takes him out anyways

Polak - Slashing - obvious call

Johnsson - Hooking - probably holding, but again, pretty easy call if you are coasting and reach out to impede

Dermott - Holding - Actually don't remember that one, so let's be gracious and assume that one is a bad penalty to call,

ONE out of the entire game....

Your grasping at straws
How can you call all of these obvious? And why did Boston get 1 called against them only?

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010
No. Why would I? Everything wasn't called.

Umm, leaffever, everything will never be called. Refs know this. What you’re really asking for is for refs to call everything they see. That occurred last night as evidence from the 5-3 call, which might be a call some refs look the other way or are hesitant to call in the playoffs. It was also evidenced by the lop sided penalties. Refs weren’t looking to even out the calls, they were calling what the saw when they saw it. The risk in doing that is what you saw last night.

Why refs might not call everything is because they know they have likely missed rough stuff the other way, and they are trying to call a game that sets a consistent tone so both teams know the rules. A lot of rules still leave things open to interpretation for refs, which is how you get different styles of reffing.

If your ask is for refs to call every single infraction you ar hoping for something that will never occur because there are 12 players and only 2 refs, they can only watch a fraction of what is going on on the ice.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Umm, leaffever, everything will never be called. Refs know this. What you’re really asking for is for refs to call everything they see. That occurred last night as evidence from the 5-3 call, which might be a call some refs look the other way or are hesitant to call in the playoffs. It was also evidenced by the lop sided penalties. Refs weren’t looking to even out the calls, they were calling what the saw when they saw it. The risk in doing that is what you saw last night.

Why refs might not call everything is because they know they have likely missed rough stuff the other way, and they are trying to call a game that sets a consistent tone so both teams know the rules. A lot of rules still leave things open to interpretation for refs, which is how you get different styles of reffing.

If your ask is for refs to call every single infraction you ar hoping for something that will never occur because there are 12 players and only 2 refs, they can only watch a fraction of what is going on on the ice.
Gardiner got a penalty for being punched in the face and you just claimed that was a legit penalty.
Sorry, you seem rather biased in your analysis.

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010
How can you call all of these obvious? And why did Boston get 1 called against them only?

Because the refs called what they saw, and weren’t purposely watching Boston with the intent of calling a penalty to even things out.

What you saw last night is the closest most feasible thing you’re asking for.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Because the refs called what they saw, and weren’t purposely watching Boston with the intent of calling a penalty to even things out.

What you saw last night is the closest most feasible thing you’re asking for.
OK you are speculating on what they saw and saying all penalties were justified?
Have you stated these things to Bruins fans who have been claiming there is a bias all series despite getting more PPs?

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010
Gardiner got a penalty for being punched in the face and you just claimed that was a legit penalty.
Sorry, you seem rather biased in your analysis.

Leaffever, If the ref saw it as gardiner getting punched in the face, do you think they would have called it?

Refs are human and make mistakes, and have biases, which is why the good refs know when to put the whistle away, because they know they can misinterpret what they thought they saw.

What the refs did do last night is call penalties when they thought an infraction occurred. The more calls they make, the more likelihood there is they will get it wrong, which is what happened.

Im not sure where the bias is?

Reactions: missionAvs

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010
OK you are speculating on what they saw and saying all penalties were justified?
Have you stated these things to Bruins fans who have been claiming there is a bias all series despite getting more PPs?

I’m going on the assumption refs show up to do their job as best they can. I’m definitely not going to speculate a conspiracy theory that they were out to call the game in favour of Boston. That’s much more ridiculous.

I never said all penalties were justified leaffever, I am saying refs are calling penalties they belief are warranted.

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010

As far as stating stuff to bruins fans, I’m not sure what you’re asking.

I saw a thread on reffing, I have a particular knowledge on this subject and thought I could add to this discussion so I did.

If a bruins fan opens a thread on this or whatever, I’ll say the same thing. Heck, if last night was called the opposite way I would be saying the exact same thing.

Reactions: missionAvs

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Well, you tried.

It will get shut down but I would still like to see a ref crew assigned to games.

That’s it. That’s all.

As an aside, I don’t need my NHL. scoreboard app.

I just need to click on a random page in a GDT to see which side is bitching about the refs and bingo... I know who is losing.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
The only penalty that shouldn't have been was Gardiner getting punched in the face.

Everything happens in playoff games. Just that scrum calls shouldn't be so mixed up like that.

Reactions: Mad Dog Tannen

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010
It will get shut down but I would still like to see a ref crew assigned to games.

That’s it. That’s all.

As an aside, I don’t need my NHL. scoreboard app.

I just need to click on a random page in a GDT to see which side is *****ing about the refs and bingo... I know who is losing.

Lol to the last sentence.

And I do get it, there will be advantages to having the same crew. With 7 games in a row, it would be really really hard for the refs to not have bias or emotion creep in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->