The Redline Report (Kyle Woodlief)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYIschremp44

Oct 25, 2003
NYC
this is in Redline's recent usa report on the prospects:(http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/columnist/woodlief/2003-10-21-woodlief_x.htm)

Woodlief is a very nasty and biased man. The Redline Report is not an objective take on the upcoming prospects. It's Woodlief's way to attack and crush. Just read some of the comments he just made and it smells of this "little man". He thinks he holds the future of every young man that has worked their butt off for most of their life to play in the NHL.
If Woodlief doesn't like you...he will ruin you...simple as that...the man has too much power. His comments are very disturbing and should not be printed by USA Today. I have cancelled my subscription to this piece of trash (REDLINE) and i encourage all of you to do the same. It's too bad the players are subjected to this mockery.

The Pucks

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
JNRhockeyGURU said:
this is in Redline's recent usa report on the prospects:(http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/columnist/woodlief/2003-10-21-woodlief_x.htm)

Woodlief is a very nasty and biased man. The Redline Report is not an objective take on the upcoming prospects. It's Woodlief's way to attack and crush. Just read some of the comments he just made and it smells of this "little man". He thinks he holds the future of every young man that has worked their butt off for most of their life to play in the NHL.
If Woodlief doesn't like you...he will ruin you...simple as that...the man has too much power. His comments are very disturbing and should not be printed by USA Today. I have cancelled my subscription to this piece of trash (REDLINE) and i encourage all of you to do the same. It's too bad the players are subjected to this mockery.

Everybody is entitled to their opinion. You obviously have yours. Sadly you do not feel Woodlief has this right.

Which one of your buddies did he diss :)

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Now, while I personally feel that the Poop Report is garbage and Woodlief is a bitter, immature idiot, how on earth do you figure "If Woodlief doesn't like you...he will ruin you...simple as that...the man has too much power."? Woodlief is just some freelance scout, there's nothing that says an NHL team has to put any stock into his opinions. You are giving him way too much credit, even if some of the stuff he writes is borderline libelous.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
We had a thread on this very subject (locked by-the-way) last week. The fact is, Redline is an independent service that can rank players anyway they please. If it's "vindictive", so be it. I had some issues with the rankings myself, but I take the view that the cream will rise to the top, regardless of what Kyle Woodlief does or doesn't say. A guy like Robbie Schremp, who has a chance to lead the OHL in scoring this year, WILL be a top ten, and most likely top five selection in the 2004 draft, even if Woodlief has reservations about him.

NYIschremp44

Oct 25, 2003
NYC
Blatny Spears said:
Keep in mind this thread was started by someone with all of one post to their name. Kyle Woodlief probably isn't the only one with an agenda.

yeah, sorry, i've been reading these boards for quite a while, juut never registered for an account...i'll be posting alot now that i finnally got the energy to get me a name! anyone here have aim and want to talk hockey?

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
keep in mind the more attention Woodlief receives the more subscriptions he sells.

I've read the entire article on Schremp (I'm a subscriber) and Woodlief acknowledges that Schremp has top 5 talent. Is anything he states about the actions of Schremp incorrect? Does Schremp's camp truly beleive that a high school education is not important? Did he use the US hockey program as leverage to get traded? These are all items that go to show the character of Schremp and what kind of negotiation style any prospective NHL team can expect if they selected him. How could anyone not beleive that these types of behaviors would help his ranking? If Schremp has a problem with how he's presented then I think he may have to look in the mirror and realize that maybe, just maybe he's partially to blame. I think Woodlief has provided some very good background info that posters can point to on draft day if Schremp is drafted later than expected. Isn't that the point of this service?

NYIschremp44

Oct 25, 2003
NYC
hbk said:
keep in mind the more attention Woodlief receives the more subscriptions he sells.

Well if he keeps playing as he has recently with London, a GM might have to swallow mighty hard to pass up on him (after ovechkin, even i am not saying he should go number 1 even though i would like to see it) Today he had 2 goals and an assist in the 9-2 route over the Bulls

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
JNRhockeyGURU said:
hbk said:

Well if he keeps playing as he has recently with London, a GM might have to swallow mighty hard to pass up on him (after ovechkin, even i am not saying he should go number 1 even though i would like to see it) Today he had 2 goals and an assist in the 9-2 route over the Bulls

True enough. I can't dispute that. However informing the general populace about what exactly is behind the Schremp/Ice Dogs controversy is hardly going beyond the scope of providing insight into these prospects.

Tadite

Feb 27, 2002
Rhode Island
Visit site
Weird wild fact. The Kings have picked his "Super Sleeper" every draft for the past 3 years. Which is why i read his report. It is often what the Kings do.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
JNRhockeyGURU said:

Woodlief is harmless. Too much power? I think you're giving him way more power than he has.

I like the fact he isn't afraid to give his opinion even if it ain't all nice. Too bad he isn't competent to boot because that would be a good publication. Would you prefer all-vanilla stuff? It's not always better.

It's too bad you had to subscribe to figure out you don't like RedLine.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
NuckMan said:
SOMEONE KNOWS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN LIBEL AND SLANDER!!!

The world MUST be ending... In all my years online, arguing in many different forums regarding many different topics, I have never seen anyone use "libel" properly.

Given how many people saw that horrible Spider Man movie, you would think they would know the difference from J.J. Jamison's "slander is spoken, if it's printed it's libel" bit. :)

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
how does he have too much power when in reality he has almost zero impact on anything any team does?? each team hires their own scouts and pay them to make determinations about players. those teams might also take a look at what tsn, redline, central scouting, etc say about a player to get as much info as possible, but the decision is made by their scouts NOT by reading redline report like a fan would...

woodlief's comments have a less than 1% impact on anything

icarus

Mar 6, 2002
Kingston, ON
Visit site
JNRhockeyGURU said:

First of all: LMAO.

Secondly, I don't think very many people in the hockey world take Woodlief's publication as the be all and end all of the amateur draft. How the hell will he ruin you? By suggesting you should be drafted lower than you think or by not mentioning you at all? Hate to break it to you, but if you get 'ruined' at the entry draft you need to blame 30 NHL franchises, not RLR.

Thirdly, you might be able to salvage yourself if you post some solid evidence to support your claim of Woodlief's bloodthirstiness and unfettered power (there are some here who indeed can make a good case for ignoring RLR). If not, your rant will continue to appear foolishly personal and not one person will consider cancelling his subscription.

cducap

Redline

There's always a lot of posts here and there bashing Redline. Everyone's entitled to their opinions.

Personally, I read Redline carefully. They have the cajones to actually give an opinion rather than some "prospect lovefest". They point out real flaws (again, in their opinion) and some of those flaws are perceived character issues. Sometimes they're right on and sometimes they aren't. The past couple of years I think they've hit more than missed.

FiveforFighting

Jan 31, 2003
Visit site
The only thing that bothers me a bit is that when a young player that has dedicated his whole life to hockey gets a hold of these reports and/or reads some of the nasty things said about them on these boards. I have to wonder how it effects them. These player's are not professional player's yet and most never will be. They enjoy playing this great game that we all love and thats that. I'm sure they don't like to read negative stuff about themselves because some personal problems arrise between a team,coach or organisation and themselves that doesn't seem repairable to them. Sometimes making a move is the best thing for all parties concerned. In Shremps case I think we all realize that he is not the only one that has had problems with the Ice Dogs.
He decided to do something about it so that he can go have some fun playing the game he loves to play. It would be a lot easier for these young men if they didn't read anything positive about themselves: I think they could figure it out on there own instead of reading what someone else thinks who does not know or understand the whole story.
If we don't have something good to say then let's not say it!
I believe that they can figure it out on ther own.

mmbt

Cheeky Monkey
Feb 27, 2002
California
Visit site
FiveforFighting said:
The only thing that bothers me a bit is that when a young player that has dedicated his whole life to hockey gets a hold of these reports and/or reads some of the nasty things said about them on these boards. I have to wonder how it effects them.

It bothers me the way he criticizes some players' character; you can get the message across that a player is lazy or something without getting outright nasty the way Woodlief does. These are, after all, just a bunch of kids.

That doesn't mean he has to write up scouting reports with kid gloves, but one can be honest without being insulting.

Stock Rocks

Feb 27, 2002
Billerica, Mass.
Visit site
Yawn...OH, LOOK! ANOTHER RED LINE-BASHING THREAD!!!!

Woodlief does not care. Period. He doesn't.

He provides a premium service that most who rip on it don't pay for. Fine.

But who the frick cares whether he hurts anyone's feelings or not? This touchy-feely vibe that permeates the CSB reports on players tells us little about them and where they are lacking. Wouldn't you rather have someone who gives their honest opinion rather than sugarcoat everything so that player and agent and family are happy? That kind of stuff breeds the kind of sycophants that this sport does NOT need!

Hate Red Line, love Red Line...who the f--- cares? I pay for the service and because of it, when draft time rolls around, I know a hell of a lot more about the prospects than I ever did when all I did was buy the THN draft preview. The day that I don't think the service they provide isn't worth it, I'll cancel. Until then- I welcome Woodlief's abrasiveness because, well- it's pretty frigging entertaining. Where else will you find the equation of one player's manic diving issues to a cheap hooker writhing on the floor of a diamond store? And besides, I'm the one paying big $$$ for it, so I might as well enjoy it. Not everyone is going to agree- but let's get real here. The content in Red Line gets you thinking, and- as someone has said- they're right more than they're wrong.

And one more thing about poor Robbie Schremp: this latest column is NOTHING NEW from Woodlief. He has been saying that Schremp is a me-first prima donna for quite some time now. Wake up and smell the coffee here, people. RLR is not denying the kid is a talent, but they hate his attitude and always have. And if you don't think that kind of thing weighs into a team's decision as to whether to use a top-five pick on a kid like that, then come out of fantasy land. Will he be a top-10? Yup. Is RLR denying that? Nope. But they are saying that if they were the NHL's 31st team, and they had a top-10 pick and he was on the board, they wouldn't be taking him.

It's that simple.

Oh, and one more thing...

Hey, Robbie! :moon:

DR. Holiday

I have a question... Can we call other posters imature idiots and other names or is that reserved for people who don't come to the board? Just wondering as I have some that fit this description.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->