The Question that continually gets danced around

Status
Not open for further replies.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Movie are a poor example, because the product is fixed, it's identical no matter where you are.

A better example would be real estate. Does a guy paying $250K for a house in New York have the right to expect a better house than a guy paying $100K in Edmonton?

Of course not. They're two completely unrelated markets, charging whatever the market will bear.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
PecaFan said:
Movie are a poor example, because the product is fixed, it's identical no matter where you are.

A better example would be real estate. Does a guy paying $250K for a house in New York have the right to expect a better house than a guy paying $100K in Edmonton?

Of course not. They're two completely unrelated markets, charging whatever the market will bear.

Yes that's a better example but both go to show just how ridiculous the question is.

Lanny MacDonald*

John Flyers Fan said:
Icewind Dale essentially brought it up the other day.

Scenario

Exact same seat, say front row of the 2nd level, right at center ice.

Guy in Edmonton pays $40 cdn.

Guy in Detroit pays $50 us.

Does the guy paying $50 us. have the right to expect a better/more expensive product than the guy paying $40 cdn. ???

I dunno. Gallon of gas in Tuscaloosa is $1.68. Gallon of gas in Phoenix is $1.98. Does the guy paying $1.98 have a right to expect a better gallon of gas?

D'oh! End of that argument.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
quat said:
It is important to the league that the majority of the teams can compete, or else the league falls appart. .

ok, understood. but clearly the majority of NHL teams can compete. this lock out is about raising the franchise values, nothing else.

dr

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
John Flyers Fan said:
Icewind Dale essentially brought it up the other day.

Scenario

Exact same seat, say front row of the 2nd level, right at center ice.

Guy in Edmonton pays $40 cdn.

Guy in Detroit pays $50 us.

Does the guy paying $50 us. have the right to expect a better/more expensive product than the guy paying $40 cdn. ???
No.

The market in Detroit allows them to charge more for a seat than Edmonton.

Furthermore, paying for a ticket (regardless of price) entitles to purchaser entrance to a game, that's it. There is no guarantee of wins, quality of product, or level of competition - - such is the nature of the sports beast.

Kaiped Krusader

Jul 1, 2004
Rylan up the Opposition
John Flyers Fan said:
In Philadelphia I can pay $5 to watch a high school hockey game, $15 to watch the AHL, and $50 to watch the NHL.
This statement basically answers your original question. You can compare prices within a market but you can't necessarily compare them between two different markets. If you pay $50 for a Flyers ticket, you have every right to expect a better "product" or experience than someone paying $20 for admission to the exact same game. That most likely will come in the form of better seats but may also include other amenities. If you pay $50 for a Flyers ticket and a Canes fan can get the exact same experience for $20 in Raliegh it doesn't mean you're getting ripped off, it just means there's a lot less demand for NHL hockey in North Carolina.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
HockeyCritter said:
No.

The market in Detroit allows them to charge more for a seat than Edmonton.

Furthermore, paying for a ticket (regardless of price) entitles to purchaser entrance to a game, that's it. There is no guarantee of wins, quality of product, or level of competition - - such is the nature of the sports beast.

I didn't say that is does entitle him to a better/more expensive team. Obviously it doesn't.

The question is, should it entitle him to witness a better product.

Let's say that the average owner puts 60% of ticket revenue back into the payroll. Should owners that draw 99% capactiy and charge more money for tickets put the same % of ticket revenue back into the team than the owner that only fills 70% of his building and charges an average priced seat ???

IMO a fan of a team like the Red Wings that fills their building every night should expect the team payroll to be higher than it is in a place like Chicago that has trouble drawing fans.

The other side to that story would be:

I'd be ticked off if I was an owner in Calgary that nearly fills the building, but due to the cdn. $, being in a smaller city and playing in an older building ... that in order to compete with the higher revenue teams I have to spend a much higher % of my ticket revenue than other teams.

IMO both sides are correct in their thinking ...... and that's part of the reason we're not playing hockey.

IWD

May 28, 2003
Visit site
To clarify, my point wasn't so much if Joe pays 10 bucks in Detroit, but Jack pays 5 bucks in Edmonton, so Joe deserves a better product because he paid more for his ticket. Although, that is part of it too. Rather, my point was more that if you have a larger fanbase, then you should be able to put it to good use. They do, however, coincide if you think about it.

People bring up real estate, movies and taxation, but the problem is we're dealing with an entirely differently situations. It's convenient to bring those types of situations up to support an argument. The NHL is a business, so let's stick to businesses since they're the closest analogy to what type of market the NHL falls under. Shouldn't the investors of Volkswagon expect to have a better product than Kia?

As John put it nicely, if you're spending the money, chances are you'd rather see it go to improving your team than going into the pockets of your owner or towards buying players for Calgary or Nashville.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Should the Guy who paid $20 for a movie ticket in Manhattan expect to see the Lord of the Rings that we all saw while the guy who went to the movie theater in Decatur, GA who went same first day of release to his local house 'o Movies and paid $7 for his ticket, should he instead be stuck with a puppet show with sock puppets?

The NHL has two choices, and only two. Only have teams in perhaps 5 markets (Good luck with that concept btw - :shakehead ) or realize that the sport has big and small cities and if there is going to be a 'league' all need to be able to see the same product.

I for one would refuse to watch a sock puppet NHL, except when I am 'blessed' to see the Detroits of the world come to town.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I met with the head of marketing for the Habs a few months back. He explained it pretty well.

The people who pay $100+ for tickets in Montreal do get a better show than other places. The Bell Centre is one of the nicest arenas in the league, and the show they put on it fun for everyone there. The focus of the marketing team is to keep the fans of the team comming back, and to get the casual fan to become a fanatical fan. It works, too.

If you go to a hockey game in an arena like the Bell Centre or the ACC, etc...You will have a good time. You will have a good time regardless if the home team loses or wins. They work to make the game enjoyable, even if you don't like hockey.

Unfortunately, this isn't the case for all venues. The fans of the Habs don't continuously fill up the arena because they are simply fans of the game. There is a reason that a 6 year old kid will go to a Habs game and leave as a fan for life.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
DementedReality said:
ok, understood. but clearly the majority of NHL teams can compete. this lock out is about raising the franchise values, nothing else.

dr

Well, I don't think it's just one and only one thing, althought this statement certainly does cover a great deal of ground... but it comes off as being extremely negative when that doesn't have to be the case. A healthy league benifits players and owners.

Brent Burns Beard